• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I would assume that there's something in his Marvel contract specifying that he can't play any other versions of Thor.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Chris would only be self owning himself. His younger brother Liam though would be a good laugh since he was auditioning for Thor and sounds like he almost landed it back in the day too.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Thor is the english version of the name
His local name is Tor, not Thor
So the name problem could be solved
I rather have a Skarsgård in the role of Tor

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Do Norse gods exist in the WW/DC universe?
Yes. Superman and Wonder Woman teamed up with Thor to fight in Ragnarok.

latest

Wonder Woman regularly has interactions with all pantheons. Like Marvel, all Gods exist.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
You act like contracts don't exist. Do you really think there's no clause barring him from playing Thor outside of a Marvel franchise?

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Thought you meant a separate actor named Chris Helmsworth. That would be funny. Petty, but funny.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
Ignoring the obvious contractual clauses, ignoring Chris Hemsworth wanting to end his Disney career and with any of their owned studios, ignoring the complete and obvious troll (its not incidental), why on earth would DC, who have a hug back log of mythos to pull from, go down the rabbit hole of producing a film with an character in closely matching a character in their main rival's films? it wouldn't even get past a joke in a producers office. Honestly, can you seriously imagine them dropping $100million on a film with a character with so many legal complications that it might get shut down by an inevitable law suit almost the moment its public knowledge?
I've been a fan or Marvel and DC for 30 years and I've never understood the obsession with some fans over getting one up man ship or proving one is better than the other! Were fans we are getting spoilt with all the good (oh and a huge fuck ton of bad), sit back and enjoy it

Talk about thread backfire

OP
OP
Veelk

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring the obvious contractual clauses, ignoring Chris Hemsworth wanting to end his Disney career and with any of their owned studios, ignoring the complete and obvious troll (its not incidental), why on earth would DC, who have a hug back log of mythos to pull from, go down the rabbit hole of producing a film with an character in closely matching a character in their main rival's films? it wouldn't even get past a joke in a producers office. Honestly, can you seriously imagine them dropping $100million on a film with a character with so many legal complications that it might get shut down by an inevitable law suit almost the moment its public knowledge?
I've been a fan or Marvel and DC for 30 years and I've never understood the obsession with some fans over getting one up man ship or proving one is better than the other! Were fans we are getting spoilt with all the good (oh and a huge fuck ton of bad), sit back and enjoy it

Talk about thread backfire
Granted, the thread's not going as well as I thought, I still am baffled by the contingent that thinks the reason I want this to get at Marvel (who I am a fan of) rather than the sheer awesomeness of having Hemsworth as Thor teaming up with Wonder Woman. LIke, the entire OP is me gushing over how awesome a cross over is and how I lament it can't happen and the point is that this could ahve been a loophole they could get around. Fine, I was wrong about that, but....it'd still be awesome if it happened, and that's the main takeaway imo.

Like, yeah, I get that Marvel would be pissed off at this, and that would be funny, which would make it a troll on part of DC, but as funny as it would be if it happened, I don't do it because I am rooting for DC to take down Marvel or whatever. Ultimately, I just want a Thor-Wonder Woman cross over.

It also sucks that copyright law is as fucked as it is. Because, yeah, you're right that it would bring legal trouble on Disney regardless, but....if they depict Thor as a distinct character from Marvel's Thor, then it should be artistic free game. They do not own the Mythological Thor. They could write him so that he's distinct from Marvel's Thor. That DC would get buried by Disney's legal team despite not being actual copyright infringement is a bad thing. Maybe I was too hasty in phrasing that DC can do this, but surely you'd agree that DC should be able to do this, right?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Question, we know that the Greek gods exist(ed) in the DC Universe, but do the Nordic or Egyptian Gods exist there as well? I'm asking as a complete casual in comic matters.

OP
OP
Veelk

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Question, we know that the Greek gods exist(ed) in the DC Universe, but do the Nordic or Egyptian Gods exist there as well? I'm asking as a complete casual in comic matters.
Yup. They even had a storyline a couple years back where a small group of amazon side characters meet Thor and his pantheon. In both Marvel and DC, all myths are real.

OP
OP
Veelk

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Is your conception that every troll is malicious? In this case, my conception of this here is that Marvel would be salty over the fact that DC would get to use a Not-real version of their character to promote a movie.

That's it. I'm not saying "Down with Marvel" or anything like that, it'd just be one instance of DC getting away with a legal loophole that'd be really funny and probably annoy marvel, but that's literally all.

Even if you do think this is malicious somehow,then it's malice targeted exclusively at the corporate aspect of Marvel, not the fandom or creators or the heroes they own, which is usually what fandoms get defensive about. If the troll is targeted to the corporate aspect of Marvel, who cares?

Fuck, if I didn't like both DC and Marvel, why would I even want a Marvel-esque Thor-WonderWoman cross over in the first place?

Last edited:

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure his contract wouldn't allow it until many years down the road.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
HAHAHA YEAH STICK IT TO 'EM.

Wait... this doesn't make any OP! OP this doesn't make any sense OP! OP!!

Oct 27, 2017
No, they don't. The troll aspect here, glorious as it is, would be incidental.

But from a business perspective, I don't get how DC loses here. They get the marketing push of having "Thor" in a "cross over" with Wonderwoman without the expenses of actually having the MCU Thor.

Now, Chris Hemsworth might be at risk here because yeah, Marvel would be pissed at him. I don't think they'd destroy his career, but they wouldn't be happy. But assuming Hemsworth would agree, this seems like an absolute win for DC.

I'd imagine there's a clause in his contract where he cannot play the character of Thor in any other production without Marvel's consent. Otherwise what's to stop someone like HBO or Netflix making a Thor TV show and getting guaranteed shit loads of hype by casting him.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
I'm a redheaded man in his 30s of some Scandinavian decent. They should cast me.

I'm not an actor I just want them to put me on that Chris Pratt workout plan, this virus mess is screwing with my diet.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DC could also totally troll Marvel by having James Gunn direct one of their flicks, they would probably never recover from such ownage.

Status
Not open for further replies.