• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrayFoxBH

Nov 1, 2017
Dreamcast was extremely powerful. As a Sega Model 3 game (wich was inferior to Dreamcast), of course it could be ported faithfully to Dreamcast. Even if it was a Set 2.1 game. Virtua Striker 2 was also a Step 2.1 game and got a basically perfect port by Genki.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I never got to play this, I've never even seen it in person.

SCUD Race was amazing though, and I got to play that when it came out. Still bummed out that it never saw a Dreamcast release. There were rumours back then of them working on it, no idea what happened (if those were true).

Also, Sega Rally is the best racing game.

GrayFoxBH

Nov 1, 2017
I miss SO MUCH pure arcade racing games like Daytona, Outrun 2, Scud Race, Sega Rally and others not made by Sega, of course, like San Francisco Rush 2049. Even if we still have arcade racing games today, they don't have that old 90's vibe, with great (and crazy) track design, cheesy music and addicting gameplay with almost infinite replay value.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Sega GT2002 on the OG Xbox is what got me into more simulator-y racing games, so that's my favorite.

That disc with JSRF as well, damn good stuff.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
While I can't dispute that this was the mindset, I will counter with: But why was Sega Rally 2 and VF3tb ported the way they were? And add: I'm certain many people would have preferred a downscaled port of Daytona 2 and Scud Race to the Daytona 2001 we got, that left me with disappointment about not being what I wanted and IIRC being derided by many for controlling fairly badly with the joypad.

Also just to better judge your comments, do you have any experience with programming/graphics/hardware?

VF3TB was a good port, as for Sega Rally 2 I can only speculate. Maybe it was to show off the Windows CE runtime as an option for developers to churn out very quick ports from PC. Whatever their merits, these were very rushed games for the Japanese launch (VF3TB) and for not long after it (Sega Rally 2), standards got much higher after that. I don't think Sega could have afforded to have a narrative of the Dreamcast being underpowered, especially after what happened with the Saturn and its Daytona port, not that it would matter in the end of course!

I probably would have preferred a compromised port of Daytona 2 too but I still would have been left wishing for the real thing. I never replay Sega Rally 2 after all, because of all the missing detail and the yoyo frame rate.

All my knowledge is based on interviews from the time and of the specifications of the hardware.

OP
OP
VGEsoterica

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
VF3TB was a good port, as for Sega Rally 2 I can only speculate. Maybe it was to show off the Windows CE runtime as an option for developers to churn out very quick ports from PC. Whatever their merits, these were very rushed games for the Japanese launch (VF3TB) and for not long after it (Sega Rally 2), standards got much higher after that. I don't think Sega could have afforded to have a narrative of the Dreamcast being underpowered, especially after what happened with the Saturn and its Daytona port, not that it would matter in the end of course!

I probably would have preferred a compromised port of Daytona 2 too but I still would have been left wishing for the real thing. I never replay Sega Rally 2 after all, because of all the missing detail and the yoyo frame rate.

All my knowledge is based on interviews from the time and of the specifications of the hardware.

the whole Windows CE thing was odd from the start. In theory it made sense...quick ports. But either a) it took too much overhead away from the system to run CE or b) because it was so quick to port people got lazy with it. Hard to say

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth

I don't know if that would have been the narrative if the conversion was put in capable hands. And despite Sega being Sega and those very conflicting ideas (arcade perfect ports but yet rushing others/giving them away to other developers) making a lot of sense in the context of SEGA, I also do remember reading in the german Sega Mazin about planned ports of Scud Race (for the Saturn even) and then later of Scud Race and Daytona 2 for Dreamcast. And I think we also know about according tech demos, so I can only state my sorrow and disappointment once again. ;)

Regarding VF3tb my memory is pretty much the same as stated on Sega Retro:

"Whereas SoulCalibur is considered to have improved during its transition from arcade to Dreamcast, Virtua Fighter 3tb makes noticeable cutbacks in areas, despite being the older and simpler game of the two. This may be attributed to the fact the Dreamcast port was handled by Genki and not in-house by Sega AM2 [...]

In Japan, the situation was much worse, as the Dreamcast version shipped without any form of two-player versus mode in order to hit the Dreamcast console's launch date. As such, of all the early Dreamcast titles, Virtua Fighter 3tb saw perhaps the most drastic update when brought to the West, [...]​
While operating at a higher resolution, texture quailty is often worse for Virtua Fighter 3tb on the Dreamcast, and lighting and fog effects also differ between the two versions. Character shadows also do not always render correctly, as evidenced in stages played on uneven surfaces, such as Pai's where the battle takes place on a slanted roof. Some stages have different coloured backgrounds for unknown reasons."​

But I do have to admit, that there's a good chance that most of the conversation about VF3tb that I remember was centered around the japanese version.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
the whole Windows CE thing was odd from the start. In theory it made sense...quick ports. But either a) it took too much overhead away from the system to run CE or b) because it was so quick to port people got lazy with it. Hard to say

Yeah the overhead was too much for anything demanding but it did result in quite a lot of games, just not many of the ones we fans remember the Dreamcast for!

I don't know if that would have been the narrative if the conversion was put in capable hands. And despite Sega being Sega and those very conflicting ideas (arcade perfect ports but yet rushing others/giving them away to other developers) making a lot of sense in the context of SEGA, I also do remember reading in the german Sega Mazin about planned ports of Scud Race (for the Saturn even) and then later of Scud Race and Daytona 2 for Dreamcast. And I think we also know about according tech demos, so I can only state my sorrow and disappointment once again. ;)

Regarding VF3tb my memory is pretty much the same as stated on Sega Retro:
"Whereas SoulCalibur is considered to have improved during its transition from arcade to Dreamcast, Virtua Fighter 3tb makes noticeable cutbacks in areas, despite being the older and simpler game of the two. This may be attributed to the fact the Dreamcast port was handled by Genki and not in-house by Sega AM2 [...]​
In Japan, the situation was much worse, as the Dreamcast version shipped without any form of two-player versus mode in order to hit the Dreamcast console's launch date. As such, of all the early Dreamcast titles, Virtua Fighter 3tb saw perhaps the most drastic update when brought to the West, [...]​
While operating at a higher resolution, texture quailty is often worse for Virtua Fighter 3tb on the Dreamcast, and lighting and fog effects also differ between the two versions. Character shadows also do not always render correctly, as evidenced in stages played on uneven surfaces, such as Pai's where the battle takes place on a slanted roof. Some stages have different coloured backgrounds for unknown reasons."​

But I do have to admit, that there's a good chance that most of the conversation about VF3tb that I remember was centered around the japanese version.

Even the Japanese version is fine honestly. It still looks and plays like VF3 but it has a few downgrades that aren't really noticeable while playing, they just become much more visible during the character close-ups in the attract sequence. The different coloured backgrounds (time of day) are because it's the TB version but you can get the old ones by holding down start when you select them (IIRC, it's been a while).

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
I never really liked Daytona 2 for some reason. I remember when it turned up at the arcade I worked at and I was super excited to play it but I dunno, the tracks, they just didn't seem to excite me. I haven't seen one in the wild for a very long time, but I did hear about one nearby so I'll have to go check it out when local arcades start opening up again.

Scud race really blew me away though, thought the tracks looked and played great.

I was also a bit sad that the Dreamcast never got the conversions I hoped it would get, and that the Saturn ports were always a bit on the crappy side, excepting Sega Rally, which was a pretty nice port!

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
The graphics chipsets are very different. The Model 3 Step 2.1 can also turn on effects without as much of a performance penalty and it's not limited in terms of IO: the Dreamcast with its limited RAM pool and GDROM speed would probably choke attempting to load those highly detailed courses, after all, Daytona 2 is practically a theme park with every corner hosting a different visual landmark.
The Real3D Pro-1000 GPUs in the Model 3 boards could use all of its features on without dropping frames. It could be locked to 60 (or 30, but all Model 3 games were locked at 60) and instead of losing FPS, the hardware and/or API would drop polygons to maintain framerate.

Every Model 3 board had 2x Real3D Pro-1000 GPUs, and the Step 2.0 and 2.1 boards had more pixel fill rate, more VRAM and or ROM and higher clocked PowerPC 603e CPUs.

Daytona USA 2 was amazing.

Another reason Model 3 / R3D Pro-1000 had such awesome performance was from its Mitsubishi 3D-RAM for texture memory

www.hpcwire.com

Mitsubishi Graphics Memory Products Power REAL 3D Engine

The Electronic Device Group of Mitsubishi Electronics America, Inc., and REAL 3D(R), a Lockheed Martin Company, jointly announced this week that REAL 3D uses two of Mitsubishi's specialty graphics memory […]

OP
OP
VGEsoterica

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
The Real3D Pro-1000 GPUs in the Model 3 boards could use all of its features on without dropping frames. It could be locked to 60 (or 30, but all Model 3 games were locked at 60) and instead of losing FPS, the hardware and/or API would drop polygons to maintain framerate.

Every Model 3 board had 2x Real3D Pro-1000 GPUs, and the Step 2.0 and 2.1 boards had more pixel fill rate, more VRAM and or ROM and higher clocked PowerPC 603e CPUs.

Daytona USA 2 was amazing.

Another reason Model 3 / R3D Pro-1000 had such awesome performance was from its Mitsubishi 3D-RAM for texture memory

www.hpcwire.com

Mitsubishi Graphics Memory Products Power REAL 3D Engine

The Electronic Device Group of Mitsubishi Electronics America, Inc., and REAL 3D(R), a Lockheed Martin Company, jointly announced this week that REAL 3D uses two of Mitsubishi's specialty graphics memory […]

Model 3 was an interesting platform for sure in regards to how it functioned with no performance penalty depending on what was "turned on". Especially considering the fact it would drop polygons. Similar to the 64 with low poly models at a distance except Model 3 wasn't subbing in models but culling polys on the fly. Honestly it's barely noticeable in play.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
Never played or seen the sequel at my local arcades, only the first one was everywhere. Would like to try it if Sega ever releases it on home consoles or Steam.

We really need Sega arcade collections. And just more of their classic games being made available, in physical collections please.
Yeah a Sega Arcade Classics collection on all platforms would be dope. 1:1 arcade perfect port + online play would be the dream.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd like to think I "understand" Sega. I've been playing their games ever since I got a Genesis and the original Sonic one year for Christmas. I owned a Saturn and a Dreamcast. Yet there is one thing I will never understand about them...their sheer reluctance to port their incredible library of Arcade games to home consoles.

Daytona USA 2, for me, is the perfect Sega racing game. It's a mix of what made the original so great with brand new graphics, more "arcadey" tracks, and an awesome soundtrack. It's like they took the formula for the original Daytona, made everything better, and then improved it a bit more for good measure.

Here's what I'll never understand about Sega though ; they felt it necessary to remake the original Daytona for Dreamcast, and release two versions of the original on the Saturn....yet they never felt it important enough to give us the sequel on Dreamcast. It released in 1998 in arcades so it was perfect timing for a home port...yet nothing but silence from Sega. Some magazines said it was rumored or "in the works" for a home port but sadly we never got one.

It's not like they are getting any easier to find either. I haven't seen a Daytona 2 cabinet since around 2015 or so if my memory is correct.

Maybe Sega's big announcement coming up is a home port of every arcade game they own? Lolol

But in all seriousness if you have never played Daytona USA 2 before...go play it!
We need all those Model 1- 3 system games ported. Many of those are now not playable at all, but with the lack of any arcade racers right now! (and serioustly Forza Horizon and Drive Club like games don't count, they are not "Arcade racers", I don't know how people want to call them.. but they are not arcade ;). ScudRace, Daytona USA, Outrun, etc.. that's ARcade :P).

So I personally would love for SEGA to annouce the porting of their 3D arcade racers.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Scud Race/Super GT was one of the first tech demos on the Dreamcast and it's pretty widely accepted that the Dreamcast would not have been able to do it justice so Sega didn't commit to turning it into a full game. By the time an OG Xbox port could have been attempted, the game would have been 6 years old.

That's pretty surprising. I know Model 3 was more powerful then Naomi, but I'm still surprised they couldn't get a half decent port up and running.

Suzuki Yu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeddah
Outrun 2 >> F-ZERO GX >> SEGA Rally 2 >> SEGA Super GT >> Daytona USA 2 >> Virtua Racing

with Outrun 2 being the best arcade driving game ever followed by F-ZERO GX as the best arcade racer of all time.
2003 was indeed an incredible year!

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I personally would argue the original is still the best but you're ultimately talking about which Sega racer is more amazing than the others because they're all fantastic.

But as to the ports thing, yeah I could never understand it myself.

Like... we got Ghost Squad on Wii, but never got Virtua Cop 3 on anything? No Top Skater?

No Scud Race? No Daytona 2? No Lost World?

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll end on this note.....if you want to know what I think is a far better arcade racer than Daytona 2(or even 1 for that matter), it GRID 2 by Codemasters. GRID 2 is Codemasters' homage to the Sega arcade racers of old, and unlike Daytona 2's weird car physics, the cars in GRID 2 are an absolute JOY to drive! The powersliding makes sense and if you're lucky enough to own a decent force feedback wheel, once tuned and dialed in, the driving experience is nothing short of S-U-B-L-I-M-E-!!!!!! Other games(and I mean pure actual arcade racing games) I feel are superior to Daytona 2 are OutRun 2, Rave Racer, Wangan Midnight, and even Initial D.

So yes, while I still admire Daytona 2 for its lovely graphics, art style and presentation, I can't justify calling it the best arcade racer of all time or even in my top 3. The bizarre car handling simply makes the game too much of a chore to fully enjoy it. Of course this is just my two cents :) I'd be curious to know how you feel about the game a year from now VGEsoterica

I want to play GRID 2 now

The graphics chipsets are very different. The Model 3 Step 2.1 can also turn on effects without as much of a performance penalty and it's not limited in terms of IO: the Dreamcast with its limited RAM pool and GDROM speed would probably choke attempting to load those highly detailed courses, after all, Daytona 2 is practically a theme park with every corner hosting a different visual landmark.

That was a trademark of Sega's arcade racing games, specially Daytona USA games. Every corner of any circuit had a detail or two that made those circuits unforgeteable. For instance, the first Daytona
TSP: That giant solar panel, The Sonic mountain.
DC: The castle, those amazing rock textures in the first turn. The tunnel, the windmills, the grass, the dinosaur fossil, the yates.
SSSG: The bridge, that big building structure thing, the tower, the Jeffrey statue, the urban segment, the stallions, "you can't be satisfied without it", the spacecraft, the freighters...

That's the wrong version of Slingshot

My man! #teammitsuyoshi

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to think I "understand" Sega
Fuck, I wish I understood Sega. Not even Konami can match Sega in terms of a clueless company sitting on one of gaming's greatest legacies and letting it go almost entirely un (or mis-) used.

That would be a dream.... Daytona USA, Daytona USA 2, Indy 500, Virtua Racing, F355 Challenge, Top Skater, Scud Race, VF Series, Fighting Vipers to name just a few.
I'm allowing myself a brief one week period to actually hope for something like this.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
I think that there is only Microsoft and their passionate retrogaming exec ( Jason Ronald, Bill Stillwell, Spencer ) than they can deal with Sega, Ferrari and other sponsors to bring back these magical games to life.

OP
OP
VGEsoterica

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
I want to play GRID 2 now

That was a trademark of Sega's arcade racing games, specially Daytona USA games. Every corner of any circuit had a detail or two that made those circuits unforgeteable. For instance, the first Daytona
TSP: That giant solar panel, The Sonic mountain.
DC: The castle, those amazing rock textures in the first turn. The tunnel, the windmills, the grass, the dinosaur fossil, the yates.
SSSG: The bridge, that big building structure thing, the tower, the Jeffrey statue, the urban segment, the stallions, "you can't be satisfied without it", the spacecraft, the freighters...

My man! #teammitsuyoshi

I do love how many details Sega puts in to every track. Each turn has some dedicated attraction to gawk at. Part of me things this was 100% a diversionary tactic to get us to drive like crap and waste quarters lolol

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry OP, have to go with F-Zero GX. It's not only Sega's best racing game, it's the best racing game ever made by a substantial margin imo

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
A collection with all the Model 3 Sega games.

And OutRun 2006. And Golden Axe: Return of Death Adder.

We really need Sega arcade collections. And just more of their classic games being made available, in physical collections please.
Sega: "Take another Sega Mega Drive collection! Do you want Sonic 2! Here's Sonic 2 and Sonic Pinball!"

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I love me some Daytona but regardless of if we're talking about Daytona 1, 2, 2001 on DC or even Scud Race (it's a Daytona game, come at me) the series as a whole has always felt "lesser" to me when compared to the Sega Rally and Outrun series. I'd say Outrun 2 and Sega Rally Championship are the GOATs when it comes to Sega racing goodness.

Daytona 2 is still fantastic, mind.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I need to play more Initial D games. I really haven't experiences much of them

They are great though there are some alternative ways to start a drift and/or go around corners faster. Further manipulation of gears and steering which I feel was their way of pulling the feeling or motion of inertia drifts/clutch kicks/etc from the anime. It's kinda jank in concept but it feels great. Not as straightforward as Daytona's brake-tap or 4-1-4 drifting. Braking and countersteer will do it, but ID has much faster ways than this and they've generally changed it from game to game.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Dreamcast got a lot of dirty PC ports like the Tomb Raider games. Perhaps without Windows CE the publisher would never care about doing a Dreamcast version at all so I guess it was something. Most if not all Windows CE games ran like shit.

SR2 coded to the metal would've been better than what we got. No doubt.

Last edited:

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
On a side note, I can't stop playing Sega Rally 1. It's quite addicting and the music is awesome.

Arcade racers have been the only thing I've been playing lately. I recently added a slew of 'em to my LaunchBox collection, with artwork and everything.

Isamus-Launch-Box-Library.jpg

It really is cool to have all these arcade racers at my fingertips courtesy of LaunchBox. To go from Daytona USA, to Sega Rally, to Ridge Racer, to Scud Race, to GRID 2, to Gran Tursimo 1, to OutRun 2, to Pole Position....all within just a few clicks, is a luxury I never thought I'd have. God bless emulation! :)

Oh and I ever show you guys my racing rig?

20190111082443.jpg

OP
OP
VGEsoterica

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
On a side note, I can't stop playing Sega Rally 1. It's quite addicting and the music is awesome.

Arcade racers have been the only thing I've been playing lately. I recently added a slew of 'em to my LaunchBox collection, with artwork and everything.

It really is cool to have all these arcade racers at my fingertips courtesy of LaunchBox. To go from Daytona USA, to Sega Rally, to Ridge Racer, to Scud Race, to GRID 2, to Gran Tursimo 1, to OutRun 2, to Pole Position....all within just a few clicks, is a luxury I never thought I'd have. God bless emulation! :)

20190111082443.jpg

hahaha you clearly aren't messing around. You should see my arcade pcb driving setup. I use a flight stick opposed to a wheel 😂

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

20190111082443.jpg
Damn that so cool. Congrats man. What emulator are you using to play Daytona2/Sega Rally/Outrun2?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Daytona USA 2 articles.

EGM

LJGvqoC.jpg

EDGE UK

hvx4eKo.jpg

hptY40h.jpg

GzgCues.jpg

Next Generation
CEqDbSs.jpg

CVG
fVEnZZN.jpg

Sega Saturn Magazine - UK

QS3q4o5.jpg

PS2QSDJ.jpg

Q1aheb4.jpg

y6SSxk7.jpg

im7pOfk.jpg

UDXUS9t.jpg

Dreamcast Magazine - Japan (on Daytona USA 2 Power Edition)

06lqP9V.jpg

4deW5Sp.jpg

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dreamcast was extremely powerful. As a Sega Model 3 game (wich was inferior to Dreamcast), of course it could be ported faithfully to Dreamcast. Even if it was a Set 2.1 game. Virtua Striker 2 was also a Step 2.1 game and got a basically perfect port by Genki.

Virtua Striker 2 ver 2000 was a Naomi game.

But Model 3 games on DC are generally good enough. VF3 was the very first and obviously rushed DC game, but I think the western version doesn't differ that much. Its really close (I played both Vanilla in the arcade and TB on DC a lot). VF3 mostly failed because it was an old game by then and Soul Calibur rendered it obsolete for many. Still played it tons. VF3 with arcade stick felt incredibly good. One friend of mine was luckily into it too.

Bass Fishing, VO:OT (pretty sure this is a model 3 port, and the Naomi version came afterward), Fighting Vipers 2 are very close too. FV2, again a great overlooked fighter when you had a stick. Never released in USA for some reason.

The outlier is SR2 and as widely known its a Windows CE game. Its worse and disappointing, but I still played the JP version loads. Looking at the shoddy framerates in most WinCE ports, I think we could've had a locked 60fps version when coded to the metal. Probably with some worse details and lighting than the arcade as that was some next level shit on Model 3 not even seen on DC.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So if i'm reading correctly the step 2.0 boasted 3 Gigaflops?

Thats 2 Dreamcasts.

I mean I always found Model 3 to be more impressive than DC and Naomi, still, I thought DoA2 and HotD2 were better looking than any Model 3 game and Crazy Taxi looked better than Harley Davidson but looking back on those i'm not sure. I play them a lot nowadays, and the lighting in SR2 and Daytona 2 is beyond anything on DC. Also the particles and dust effects. Not to mention all games run at a locked 60fps without issue (its actually a bit lower but you get the idea).

I guess that in terms of cost the Naomi was very impressive. It could match Model 3 on a far more efficient way and allowed for a lot of genres, even full 2D.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever even played this unfortunately. And I'm old enough to have been around when this was in arcades and go to plenty of vintage arcades/barcades these days. I just never see it anywhere.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I should really play the older Sega Rally games. I bought the Japanese PS2 releases last year but would need to dig out the right PS2 to play it; are the PS2 conversions worth it?

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember Sega Rally 2 on Dreamcast looking this bad but damn. It's almost Model 2 vs Saturn differences here. I enjoyed a lot 10 years Challenge though

Also, Ferrari 355 Challenge and Daytona 2001 have graphics at least on par with Model 3 racers I think

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember Sega Rally 2 on Dreamcast looking this bad but damn. It's almost Model 2 vs Saturn differences here. I enjoyed a lot 10 years Challenge though

Also, Ferrari 355 Challenge and Daytona 2001 have graphics at least on par with Model 3 racers I think

Add to that the fact that SR2 DC was 30fps.

The later revisions of Model 3 are crazy stuff, way way more powerful than the DC, but few games take advantage of it. But those that do, like Daytona 2, push so many more polygons and effects than any DC game that it's not even funny. I understand people not believing this, probably because they haven't seen games from both systems side to side in maybe 20 years. Put Daytona 2 with Daytona 2001 side to side on emulators and you'll notice the difference immediately. Only GC/Xbox were on par with that, the graphics of F-Zero actually have an uncanny resemblance to Daytona's to me. At least, if they removed the logos and Sega never appeared on screen, I'd still be able to tell it is a Sega game right away.

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Add to that the fact that SR2 DC was 30fps.

The later revisions of Model 3 are crazy stuff, way way more powerful than the DC, but few games take advantage of it. But those that do, like Daytona 2, push so many more polygons and effects than any DC game that it's not even funny. I understand people not believing this, probably because they haven't seen games from both systems side to side in maybe 20 years. Put Daytona 2 with Daytona 2001 side to side on emulators and you'll notice the difference immediately. Only GC/Xbox were on par with that, the graphics of F-Zero actually have an uncanny resemblance to Daytona's to me. At least, if they removed the logos and Sega never appeared on screen, I'd still be able to tell it is a Sega game right away.
Yeah, you are right. Model 3 is such a beast

Also there's nothing like expert circuit on Dayotna 2 on Dreamcast.

Also Outrun 2 Xbox vs Daytona 2 Model 3 comparison