• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully this elaboration on my original post will sate you.

I am quite astonished by this game's high ranking on an online anticipation poll, as it seemed very forgettable and dare I say uninspired to me from the very first trailer. It quickly vanished from my memory and did not return until the subject was once again raised in this thread title. As a result of my finding the game so unremarkable, I am likely to swiftly forget about it once again upon the conclusion of making this post.

Try to understand or appreciate things from outside your own subjective bubble. The game is not really any more or less inspired than something like Super Smash Bros Ultimate or Dragon Quest XI, yet you were super excited for and really enjoy both the latter and wouldn't find it astonishing that many others would also be excited for those games. Just as you or I might be excited to play the 20th largely derivative JRPG, some might also be excited to play the 10th largely derivative zombie game.

Saying that, as far as zombies go, there are things Days Gone is doing that are fairly interesting or unique in the genre, eg the high intensity and AI massive zombie hordes, zombie bears and crows, upgradeable bike and huge scale, traversable landscapes etc.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It's sad to see days gone threads just attract the trolls. if you are not interested you can just ignore the thread instead of posting a drive by snarky comment to derail the thread. Just let people who actually care about this game have fun instead of making them feel like they have somehow "bad taste" for liking what they saw so far...

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
"Most Anticipated 2019 game with a confirmed or semi-confirmed release date releasing on a Sony Platform, as voted on by Sony Fans"
Checks out.
I'm rooting for Bend to pull it all together and make another amazing Sony first party-exclusive. I just haven't seen the evidence that we're getting one with Days Gone yet. Hope I'm wrong.

Bigger news is that Dreams got the total snub (not even a mention in the article).
For me, it was during one of the Game Informer interviews (early last year) where the Game or Creative Director said that Red Dead Redemption was their main inspiration on how to build a living ecosystem. That alone was enough to convince me since the first RDR was one of my favorite game last gen because of its "living" ecosystem. And then, when the first few GI gameplay videos came out, I noticed right away what they meant. Whatever you do and no matter where you go, you can be ambushed or attacked at random by anyone or anything, because your enemies need to eat, sleep and drink and they are always on the move.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
A PlayStation website picked the only third person story driven single player PlayStation exclusive for 2019 as their most anticipated game? That's surprising.

For what it's worth, I've said this before but I played the game at PAX Aus and it was much better than I was expecting. I didn't get to try the horde demo, I played the exploration demo. Felt good. Solid gunplay.

Last edited:

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People like to joke about the hodge podge of popular gaming trends in first party Sonya games and I think Days Gone is the first game where that might be true...

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, pretty much everyone (press) that played it wasn't exactly raving about it either.

I've seen a few impression vids and the biggest impression they've left me with is the gaming press is ass at games. I've seen quite a few repeating the same unimaginative approach to taking on hordes with the same disastrous results. It honestly doesn't surprise me that they didn't like the game at first, but we'll see if that changes after they sink more time in.

[hottake]One thing can't really be denied though and it's that this game can't possibly play worse than RDR2.[/hottake]

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I am very surprised by the negativety! It seems like one of the few exclusives that is trying to do something unique in terms of gameplay. If the horde mechanic will be interesting this could be a very fun game.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Still don't understand what's supposed to be so impressive about yet another "sad guy in the apocalypse" zombie game.

Bend should've made something else. Anything else.
I understand your concerns. With the rumors (by an ex-Bend guy) that they had an idea (or prototype?) for an open-world futuristic sci-fi game where the MC could run around and scale buildings with jet boots. It would have been interesting to see what kind of game it would have been, but I am just happy that Bend studio is still around. They deserve a chance to prove themselves (despite the fact they alrmade some very good games on PSP and 1 PSVita before going

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Horizon, concern.
God of War, concern.
Detroit, concern.
Spider-Man, concern. (Puddles)
The concern is expected and like clockwork.

It only beat out RE2 by a few votes. The game looks fun and I cant wait.

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
For me, it was during one of the Game Informer interviews (early last year) where the Game or Creative Director said that Red Dead Redemption was their main inspiration on how to build a living ecosystem. That alone was enough to convince me since the first RDR was one of my favorite game last gen because of its "living" ecosystem. And then, when the first few GI gameplay videos came out, I noticed right away what they meant. Whatever you do and no matter where you go, you can be ambushed or attacked at random by anyone or anything, because your enemies need to eat, sleep and drink and they are always on the move.
The sad thing is that it seems like interesting and unique gameplay gains much less hype than story and presentation when it comes to Sony exclusives.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon, concern.
God of War, concern.
Detroit, concern.
Spider-Man, concern. (Puddles)
The concern is expected and like clockwork.

It only beat out RE2 by a few votes. The game looks fun and I cant wait.
I'm disappointed Days Gone hasn't been able to top the puddle concern.

That's the most disappointing thing about this game.

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility Towards Another User; Accumulated Infractions
I for one cannot believe that a guy with a "Spider-man GotY" avatar has some personal and emotional investment in this meaningless award for Days Gone

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good to finally read a all positive thread for once. Sony has another special game with this. Seeing how there's nothing interesting for the first three months of the year, April is going to be hype!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I understand your concerns. With the rumors (by an ex-Bend guy) that they had an idea (or prototype?) for an open-world futuristic sci-fi game where the MC could run around and scale buildings with jet boots. It would have been interesting to see what kind of game it would have been, but I am just happy that Bend studio is still around. They deserve a chance to prove themselves (despite the fact they alrmade some very good games on PSP and 1 PSVita before going

That sounds super interesting. I love games with traversal mechanics like that.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Days Gone is about as safe and non risky of a production as you can get for general audience consumption. It'll sell very well.

A third person action adventure cinematic Zombie Walking Dead-esk game with heavy emphasis on story and realistic graphics

Yikes... another Days Gone thread turned to scheiss*. :/

Anyway, I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept that we apparently had too many open-world zombie games this gen. Even if they take games from last gen, there is not that much more open-wolrd zombie games either. Only a few were open-worlds and even fewer were memorable or even close to be anything like the bold part.

PS3/360 Era
7 Days to Die
Dead Island (open-world)
Dead Rising ("open-world-ish")
Dead Rising 2 ("open-world-ish")
Dead Rising Off The Record ("open-world-ish)
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Dead Space 3
Lollipop Chainsaw
Dead Nation
Zombie Apocalypse
The Last of Us
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 6
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmares (open-world)
State of Decay (open-world)
Escape from the Dead Island

PS4/XB1 Era
Dead Rising 3 (open-world-ish)
Dead Rising 4 (open-world-ish)
Dying Light (+DLC) (open-world)
Evil Within
Evil Within 2
Resident Evil VII
Resident Evil 2 Remake
The Last of Us pt.2
Days Gone (open-world)

... but when it comes to the bold part, there is one released game that could match that description and it would be... The Last of Us. Despite sharing some similarities with it, Days Gone doesn't feel or play that much like TLOU based on the impressions I've read and watched here and online. Don't forget that Days Gone is at heart, an open-world action game. We don't know how big is the emphasis on the story, but I am confident that if it's anything like the first RDR system-wise when it comes to its "living" world, it could surprise a lot of people... like Horizon did.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The title says "Most anticipated title" and the tweet says "Most anticipated PS4 game". Quite the difference, which obviously makes people only reading the title take a negative position if they find games on Switch, PC, Xbox more interesting.
And how many other big titles has a definite 2019 release date on PS4?

I for one cannot believe that a guy with a "Spider-man GotY" avatar has some personal and emotional investment in this meaningless award for Days Gone

And yet you posted in a meaningless award thread to shit post what does it say about you?

tumblr_pkv0bj1EDj1takdglo1_640.gif

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Especially since those 2 games have so many similarities.
Made by the same developers. Wait, nevermind.
Similar gameplay. Wait nevermind
Similar genre. Wait nevermind.
Similar mission structure. Wait nevermind.
Similar open world design. Wait, nevermind.
Both Sony exclusives. I'll give that to you.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
That sounds super interesting. I love games with traversal mechanics like that.
That's why Gravity Rush 2 is my favorite open-world game with unique traversal. With Spider-Man and InFamous First Light getting honorable mentions for their traversal style.

Come on man... why can't Days Gone be a potential GOTY for him if he likes what he is seeing from the game? Why should it matter to you? It's like if I would bash Celeste for being nominated for GOTY even if I am not interested in the game. I understand why a lot of people loved the game (and also why it was a GOTY contender for a lot of people) and I can see its qualities, but I am not interested in the game whatsoever. It doesn't give me the right to bash or criticize the game.

For me, it's like the hype surrounding Anthem. Ever since its first showing, I had some terrible concerns about the game. The game looked very good visually, but sub-par or average gameplay -wise (which reminded me too much of The Order 1886's situation in terms of how they showed and featured the game late in its cycle). That's only me though. Although, I would agree that the past few gameplay showings have been more promising, interesting and efficient at conveying the main game loop. To know that Anthem was compared to Diablo lately is more reassuring than comparing it to Destiny, but it doesn't change my stance because there is something that still feels off about the game.

Furthermore, your taste will never be the same as someone else. Although, you could have some games in common, but to like the exact same things and details would be improbable.

Last edited:

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
This game is so devisive for some reason. While I don't think it looks terrible it's certainly not one I'm anticipating.

its just something I feel like I've seen and played several times already during the past couple of years regardless whether its gonna be bad or good. That is why I don't have interest for it.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Over Resi 2, Sekiro AND KH3?

What the fuck? I'm like actually kind of mad. Those are looking like some incredibly quality games, definitely a lot more inspired and unique in execution than Days Gone from what we've seen thus far.

On second look, it seems to be a Sony fan site so not that surprising. Still guys, come on.

Oh please. Get that Disney shit outta here. Ain't nobody hyped for that. And RE2 looks more inspired and unique? It's a remake of a linear zombie shooter for Christ sake. I will play it, but it's hardly unique. You got any other open world zombie horde games in which you play a biker? You seem salty.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017

I guess that might be something that has to be experienced to be fully appreciated. It sounds good on paper, but only if its more systems-driven and emergent. Often triple-A developers will talk a good game on that front, but then back-track because they want to provide a more "tailored" experience. Hopefully they can pull it off, because open-world games are stagnant as hell right now.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
The sad thing is that it seems like interesting and unique gameplay gains much less hype than story and presentation when it comes to Sony exclusives.
It depends on the game I guess and what it is trying to achieve. When you have game like:

• The Last of Us pt.2, where ND is pushing animations forward to help its story's themes of disgust, fear and violence... sure the presentation will trump the unique gameplay elements.
• God of War (2018), where you know that SMS wants to deliver a gameplay that feels tighter and heavier, especially after changing the main weapon to the Leviathan axe, to convey the idea of strength and godhood... not really since the new GOW brought an overhaul of its core combat.
• Gravity Rush 2 (2017), where you know that the powers of the MC, despite being unique, she can't control them the way she would want. The gameplay is only there to convey the idea of someone still learning about the limit of her abilities... so yeah, sometime unique mechanic can be hard to sell to a new audience.

Also, it is easier to sell a story or the way a game is presented than its mechanics.

Last edited:

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Oh look another Resetera thread which is full of shit posts from people who don't know what they are talking about.

Just like a Kingdom Hearts thread. Or Assassin's Creed Odyssey, or Detroit, or Final Fantasy. I could go on but you get the point.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I guess that might be something that has to be experienced to be fully appreciated. It sounds good on paper, but only if its more systems-driven and emergent. Often triple-A developers will talk a good game on that front, but then back-track because they want to provide a more "tailored" experience. Hopefully they can pull it off, because open-world games are stagnant as hell right now.

I know what you mean. Despite being a fan of the Assassin's Creed series, it was hard to get into Origins despite the acclaim. It is slower to progress. Some sections are longer than they should be. It's like AC is trying to be like The Witcher 3 (and I loved Witcher 3, easily one of my GOTG). A big open-world action RPG where you can go wherever you want and do the missions however you want. I like that they give us options, but I find it hampers on the overall experience.

Although for Days Gone, it seems to be different. Based on that GameInformer coverage, the devs said that there is a Golden Path that you can follow for the story (something closer to the tailored experience you are talking about), but you can also wander and help towns/factions as you find them as they will provide you with better tools, weapons and upgrades for your ride to survive the world. I don't know how impactful those relations will become as you progress in the game though.

Last edited:

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I personally don't really care for it other than the zombie flood tech shown in the reveal trailer but I can see main stream appeal or broader appeal.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Yeah for whatever reason Days Gone is one of those games that era is really out of sync with the general gaming community.
Like any major Sony exclusives of the past 4 years. Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Detroit and even Spider-Man got hit by that same pessimism. Mostly the same reasons every time too: "looks generic", "ripoff", "unoriginal", "lame", "QTE", etc.
Not true at all. It won because what else is going to win? We don't even know any other Sony exclusives coming this year other than Dreams. Put an actual 2019 date on Ghost of Tsushima or TLOU2 and Days Gone won't even chart.
It seems you haven't looked at the actual list on the website. If Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us pt. 2 were coming in 2019, The Division 2 and Devil May Cry V wouldn't have made the chart and Days Gone would still be there. Lol

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm guessing push square are Sony PlayStation website?

I personally don't agree but fair play.

I don't think the game looks terrible but I don't think it looks great from what I've seen. I'm a biker and I really like zombies so I'm hoping it turns out to be a great romp. I just wouldn't put it in my top 5 most anticipated of 2019

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This will be one of those games that internet deems as boring, it gets mixed reviews but sells absolutely insane numbers.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I'm guessing push square are Sony PlayStation website?

I personally don't agree but fair play.

I don't think the game looks terrible but I don't think it looks great from what I've seen. I'm a biker and I really like zombies so I'm hoping it turns out to be a great romp. I just wouldn't put it in my top 5 most anticipated of 2019
I don't think it is a Sony website. It seems to be affiliated with Gamer Network, which host websites like EuroGamer, VG247 and even GamesIndustry.biz.
This will be one of those games that internet deems as boring, it gets mixed reviews but sells absolutely insane numbers.
If State of Decay 2 got mixed reviews, I am sure Days Gone will be able to do better than SoD2 (or even the first SoD). :/

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay. Then, why are you here if the game doesn't interest you? 🤔

I think the thread was meant to share and build the hype and anything positive about the game, not to derail it every 5 or 10 posts. 😑
I don't understand this. Why do you expect only one type of reaction from a piece of news?

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I don't understand this. Why do you expect only one type of reaction from a piece of news?
Because when you read the OP, it is about sharing good news and not: "Oh yeah... I almost forgot about this game. Yeah I don't like the way it looks... it looks bland."

The same thing always happen with every major Sony exlusives. Not all games need to cater to everyone's tastes. We should encourage well thought out criticism and amicable behaviours. :/

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017

I think the thread was meant to share and build the hype and anything positive about the game, not to derail it every 5 or 10 posts. 😑
This isn't one of those lame hype check threads. It's a website stating an opinion about anticipation, and by the sound of it, there is a general consensus that people don't necessarily agree.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because when you read the OP, it is about sharing good news and not: "Oh yeah... I almost forgot about this game. Yeah I don't like the way it looms... it looks bland."

Not all games need to cater to everyone's tastes. We should encourage well thought criticism and amicable behaviours. :/
I dunno. People say critisim and negativity can only be acceptable when they are "constructive". Yet hype posts are exempted from the requirement. Why? I don't see anything meanful or constructive about them.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017

Because this is a message board for video game discussions. Am I just suppose to praise this game? It's my opinion that this game looks awful.