• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
One thing I don't like with weather effects in some games is that when it stops raining or snowing the after effects don't linger. In MGSV the atmosphere would just clear up when the rain goes and the scene dries up instantly.
Hopefully they have it so you can still see how wet it is after that.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I hope next gen gives us Driveclub level downpour in open world games

That would be nice.

One thing I don't like with weather effects in some games is that when it stops raining or snowing the after effects don't linger. In MGSV the atmosphere would just clear up when the rain goes and the scene dries up instantly.
Hopefully they have it so you can still see how wet it is after that.

As far as I know, weather after effects are in this game.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
If iamthatiam finishes one scene then yes it is in UE4
giphy.gif

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
They really worked hard to bring it up to the current level of polish. I hope that the developers get an extended vacation after this.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

Psoelberg

Oct 26, 2017
Wow that's awesome tech. Love stuff like this - and kind surprised we haven't seen more of this this gen. Really looking forward to this game.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Very nice touch although i'm not a fan of the trails the snowflakes leave as they are falling. Maybe it's the YT compression.
And it seems to be kinda sped up (snow seems to be accumulating a bit fast).

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Are you showing me stuff that happened in real time? I played plenty of it the year it came out, but I can't recall any instances of snow building up around me.

Blizzards would happen that would coat the environments more and your agent. However the entire game took place in winter with NYC modeled to look like that all the time, nothing quite like what seems to be happening here in Days Gone.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzards would happen that would coat the environments more and your agent. However the entire game took place in winter with NYC modeled to look like that all the time, nothing quite like what seems to be happening here in Days Gone.
I just want to send a thumbs up to a post like this. You know how nice it would be to hit a "thumbs up" button? No need for words. Now lookit all the words I had to type.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. The custom modified version of UE4 in this game is really the best, the swarm AI the weathers and everything is just a real showcase of the engine in a real game and not just in a tech demo.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Really cool tech. I love elements like this in games because it does such a wonderful job of selling the location as a real place. I feel like, with character animation and facial mo-cap being as good as it is (and always improving, but we're in a great spot with it), the next logical push would be to start making the environments themselves feel as lived in and genuine as possible, and not just a background set your awesomely rendered and lifelike characters are moving through.

I've always enjoyed Bend's games, and I have a feeling this is going to be a sleeper for the PS4.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That was really cool. Sort of shocking how beautiful and technically or graphically ambitious this game is given how small the studio is.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
lol imagine an NPC watching him stand there rotating his head slowly in the middle of the road.
Video games are weird.

Snow looks good tho

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
It would be cool if a game can poll your local weather conditions and depict them in game real time
that would be cool except that almost every game with a day night cycle has time move so fast that a cool idea like that likely wouldn't work. Like oh your local weather is 8 degrees celsius with rain ; so in game is now cold and rainy too, cool ... for the 30 seconds until it's now night time in game again -_-. I'd just like to be able to enjoy a sunset in a day/night cycle that isn't over in under 30 seconds for once.

SsjCouri

Feb 21, 2019
User warned: Thread whining and driveby post
Honestly.... who cares. Show me quality game play and game design.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this the first open world game with dynamic snow of this kind? Eg where you can experience an entire massive environment going from dry to snowy in real time?