• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Huh Imagine that. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if a lot of these reviewers like the Gamespot one played 10-20 hours, made up their mind, and then dropped the game.

Yeah, I bet they moved right to another game, and they'll probably review it after spending several hours playing it too! What the fuck!!

I was expecting 75, but 72 is fine I guess.

Sorry metacritic discourse runs on price is right rules. You've overbid so you lose. But that's OK, we have some lovely parting gifts we'd like to you know about from our sponsors

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hello, goodbye!

Fair. But even so, not a rando I'd place particular trust in.
He is a reviewer as well that got the game from Sony. He is no more a rando than anyone else who got it. But hey if you want to believe that all of these reviewers finished it go right ahead. We all know that it wouldn't be the first time some of them didn't do their job right.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yong Yea pointed out something I was concerned about prior to release and that is Deacon constantly talking to himself. In the example he gives in his video, it's actually worse than I thought it could be and treads steadfast and headlong into cringe territory.

Welcome to your modern open world game where the character has to talk to themselves outloud in order to give context to a certain situation.

Which I'm not saying as a criticism. I perfectly understand the choice to have characters do that. But then again, Arthur Morgan never did that...

Grath

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He isn't just some random guy. Brian is a great guy who makes guides for games. I'd trust him over people like that girl from Gamespot who wants to throw her political beliefs into the mix.

1) in the article it says that she completed the game and played 55 hours
2) this whole "the girl injected politics into my game" is awfully a gamergate-like comment

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
VG247's review stated that the main missions are pretty linear so idk if Days Gone has better mission design.

"In missions, it wants you to play a very specific way, too. Go slightly off course and a warning flashes up that you're leaving the mission area. Keep going and you're back to a checkpoint.

In one mission, I'm driving a girl across the map to a nearby camp. We come to a tunnel and it quickly becomes apparent that this is a trap. I'm expected to get off my bike, kill all the enemies, then go back to my bike and ride through. Fuck that. I just ride through with the kid still on my back seat. As soon as I exit the tunnel, both of us fully intact, I get a mission failed screen for leaving the kid behind – the kid that's on my back seat."

https://www.vg247.com/2019/04/25/days-gone-review/amp/
Lmfao yo is this 1998 game design or what 😂

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
He is a reviewer as well that got the game from Sony. He is no more a rando than anyone else who got it. But hey if you want to believe that all of these reviewers finished it go right ahead. We all know that it wouldn't be the first time some of them didn't do their job right.
Lol. My dude, you're accusing other reviewers of not doing their job based on the hearsay of one guy who's annoyed other people don't like the game as much as he does. And gasp! Shock! That someone might actually have a lower opinion of the game based on their own personal beliefs.

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm returning this unopened as soon as it arrives tomorrow. Bend bit off more than they could chew. All that talk about people needing to do multiple things to make this game work with less than ideal staff size clearly didn't pan out.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He isn't just some random guy. Brian is a great guy who makes guides for games. I'd trust him over people like that girl from Gamespot who wants to throw her political beliefs into the mix.
SmartSelect_20190425-100142_YouTube.gif

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

IT'S TIME FOR SOME NEW NO-NOS
All these people are making 100 hour games in this market. There's new games coming out every day! Nobody has 100 hours in a single day! That's impossible
New No-No: You make a 100 hour long game, and I'll stay up for 100 hours trying to beat it!

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Huh Imagine that. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if a lot of these reviewers like the Gamespot one played 10-20 hours, made up their mind, and then dropped the game.

Dude.

PS4_trophies.

PS4

TROPHIES.

The "girl" played 55 hours and her views are in line with the vast majority of reviewers.

Oct 27, 2017
Another thing the quick look highlights is the lack of usability options (colorblind settings, button mash/tab/hold settings, etc.), particularly for a game where the player has witcher-like senses. They also say Deacon talks to himself a bunch, and the biggest annoyance was being interrupted with "completed"-type messages and stuff while in combat.

And if a character's development arc takes 30 hours of game time, you do run the risk of losing people along the way. Doesn't mean that arc is too long or anything, it's just the way it is when a game is set up to be played over that period of time. For a bunch of these open-world games, at one point I've done so much side stuff that I just decide to go straight for the rest of the story just to see the end of it, and maybe come back to the rest of the world stuff later.

Oct 27, 2017
VG247's review stated that the main missions are pretty linear so idk if Days Gone has better mission design.

"In missions, it wants you to play a very specific way, too. Go slightly off course and a warning flashes up that you're leaving the mission area. Keep going and you're back to a checkpoint.

In one mission, I'm driving a girl across the map to a nearby camp. We come to a tunnel and it quickly becomes apparent that this is a trap. I'm expected to get off my bike, kill all the enemies, then go back to my bike and ride through. Fuck that. I just ride through with the kid still on my back seat. As soon as I exit the tunnel, both of us fully intact, I get a mission failed screen for leaving the kid behind – the kid that's on my back seat."

Damn.

I hated that shit in modern Rockstar games so it sucks to see them do the samething.

Hopefully this is the only instance.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

Well damn, that's actually pretty damning. I'll be finding out myself, but hopefully it's not like that consistently....

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's a major sense that a lot of people made their mind up about this game long before playing it. This forum has been clear evidence of that.

I'm excited to try it out myself though. The comparisons to last of us and sons of anarchy sound good.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
A quick look at MC tells me the vast majority of reviews are 70+. Are you talking about a 70+ review?

I'm talking about the specific negative stuff she says in the review is in line with what other reviewers are saying about the game. As in what's actually in the review, not the score.

The tweet from PS4_Trophies is accusing reviewers of being maliciously wrong about an aspect of the story. The vast majority of reviewers hold a different opinion.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This is why metacritic scores aren't everything. Mafia 3 has a 68 and despite the issues, the soundtrack, story and controls are incredible. The mission structure became tired as time went on and it had glitches at launch. Didn't stop me from absolutely loving it.

yeah, forget days gone - mafia 3 easily gets my vote for the most critically mistreated game of the generation. for who knows what reason, punished like it was the only game that ever featured those flaws mentioned :) ...

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Look, if you dont find a game good within the first ten hours (I'd even say two) then you are never going to find it good and it's not the player or reviewer's responsibility to force themselves to get to the endgame where it apparently gets good.

To be fair, if you slam a game for lacking character development you better make sure you have played through the story.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you ever want to read a review by someone who doesn't inject their personality into the review? Sounds pointless.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol. My dude, you're accusing other reviewers of not doing their job based on the hearsay of one guy who's annoyed other people don't like the game as much as he does. And gasp! Shock! That someone might actually have a lower opinion of the game based on their own personal beliefs.
It has nothing to do with the fact they liked it less than he does. How do you get that from his tweets? He clearly says they are lying about things in the story.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
In terms of that PS4_Trophies tweet I find discussion around it to be pretty redundant since pretty much everyone here hasn't played the game enough to know if he's right or not. If someone has then their input is welcome but otherwise you're just arguing over who you think is right based on pure conjecture. Of course, there is also the subjective nature of whether Deacon is selfish or not and if the game is critical (enough) of him.

I would say that it would make for a more interesting discussion once some more people have beaten the game but, let's be honest, nobody cares that much about this one element and it's more of an argument about if you like the game or not.

What I would say, and this isn't to suggest PS4_Trophies might be right because, as above, I don't know, is that it is possible to simply tune out some of the nuance of the story if you're not enjoying it at all. Story is one of the main things I enjoy about games but when a game has a bad story or bad characters I usually stop paying full attention. Given the nature of how many reviews are done where you are trying to play through it as quick as possible then it would be understandable if that happened. Assuming the reviewer hasn't been irresponsibly inattentive (i.e. to the point of skipping cut-scenes) then I would still consider that a knock against the game for being boring and uninteresting rather than a poor review of the game.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, if you slam a game for lacking character development you better make sure you have played through the story.
Exactly. Which is what Brian is saying. I don't care what amount of time she lists that she played the game. He clearly says that things happen in the story that contradict what both her review and certain others are claiming. So in that respect it casts doubt as to whether they finished all of these storylines.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Patrick Klepek's thing might have the worst take in all of this.

"Kurt Sutter's seven-season drama focused on a biker gang whose stated goal was protecting a community but routinely drowned it in unwanted violence. (It fell off a cliff once it killed off you-know-who, the heart of the show, in that kitchen. "

The character who dies in the kitchen sucks lol, the other character that dies like a whole season or two before that was the heart of the show.

I mean egad, imagine being a
Tara person

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

Between this and the eavesdropping mission (from Kotaku review), it seems like the game copied the wrong Assassin's Creed games lol.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It has nothing to do with the fact they liked it less than he does. How do you get that from his tweets? He clearly says they are lying about things in the story.
Or maybe the game just does a really shit job of redeeming his character toward the end. Sometimes, a character is written so poorly that you're not going to like him no matter what justifications are given. Being a pissbaby on Twitter about how the reviewers are WRONG is some serious eyeroll bait.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Wow... I took a while off from Era and came back to this thread being a bit of a dumpster fire.

I really enjoyed it. (Our review FWIW: https://www.nextgenbase.com/days-gone-review/)

Anyway - the people piling in on that line of dialogue from the wedding - don't. There's another cutscene later on that gives it a shitload of context and makes an admittedly shitty joke somewhat endearing.

When Deacon proposes to Sarah, she says yes on the condition that "she doesn't have one of those shitty biker weddings where you say you're going to ride me as much as your bike"... It gets to the wedding, and she says it instead as a joke. Not a good joke, but a joke.

The "selling people into slavery" line from Waypoint rubs me the wrong way as well, as that is absolutely not how it's presented or implied.

The game's got flaws, and I was HEAVILY sceptical going in, but after spending a shitload of time with it, I found myself coming round to it. I was fortunate enough not to have some of the bugs that other reviewers have had, but I can see that they'd royally fuck up a score if I did.

Anyway, reviews are opinions & all that jazz, as someone who legitimately enjoyed it in the face of some overwhelming negativity, I'm happy to answer questions (might be in the morning as it's nearly midnight here!)

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Between this and the eavesdropping mission (from Kotaku review), it seems like the game copied the wrong Assassin's Creed games lol.

Tbh there isn't anything inherently wrong with evesdropping missions as long as the shit being evesdropped is actually interesting. If it isn't it's effectively just moving a dot near another dot without getting too close until the game decides you've done it long enough (assassin's creed). Hell, RDR2's endless missions that consist of just travelling while conversing with another character isn't exactly the height of gameplay. But it works because the stuff you're hearing is at least vaguely interesting.

Until I play days gone I won't know what type of evesdropping mission it is though, I'll be finding out on Friday I guess.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Or maybe the game just does a really shit job of redeeming his character toward the end. Sometimes, a character is written so poorly that you're not going to like him no matter what justifications are given. Being a pissbaby on Twitter about how the reviewers are WRONG is some serious eyeroll bait.

What no, I'm sure the reviewer making opinions about those political girls who lie and don't do their jobs when reviewing is an extremely good judge of character (/s)

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Anyway - the people piling in on that line of dialogue from the wedding - don't. There's another cutscene later on that gives it a shitload of context and makes an admittedly shitty joke somewhat endearing.

When Deacon proposes to Sarah, she says yes on the condition that "she doesn't have one of those shitty biker weddings where you say you're going to ride me as much as your bike"... It gets to the wedding, and she says it instead as a joke. Not a good joke, but a joke.

Ah this doesn't sound too bad actually kind of cute and endearing.

But unless the metacritic changes we should still call the Off Topic:

Days Gone |OT| Ride me like a Harley '72

Karmic

Jul 14, 2018
Oregon, United States
Another review I stumbled upon by Jennifer Locke of AndroidCentral (apologies if it's been posted):
It may not be on the same level as other PlayStation exclusives like God of War or The Last of Us, but that would be unfair comparisons. Days Gone is amazing for what it is: an open-world survival adventure that features a compelling main character and a surprising amount of heart at its center. Despite its faults, it's a terrific addition to PlayStation's outstanding exclusives portfolio.

4 out of 5

And as good as it may be, there's so much lingering potential that I'm hoping Bend Studio creates a sequel. The developer has shown a knack for this, but it needs to be nurtured and cultivated. With any luck, Days Gone could be the beginning of a franchise.
Source: https://www.androidcentral.com/days-gone-playstation-4-review