• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
are you for real?

If somebody does not make something about race or sex is not a normal day in Era.

The woman has nothing to do with this, people are against negative reviews even here. it's just Sony fanboys going bonkers because a first party failed

Edit: before a crappy quote from you here is a link with far more views from the same reviewer.

As you can see there is no bias. Stop talking shit please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAPUpMiTQ3s

Edit: Since I am receiveing a lot of quotes let me be clear. It's meant as fail in relation to Sony exclusive ecpectation. People were actually thinking to receive a new top IP like tlou or Horizon
Bruh I clicked the video and within like 3 of the top 6 comment threads there were a bunch of "Oh it's lisa" "White blooded man protag 1/10 ign" style comments. It absolutely is drawing the shitlords.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
People who follow scores really need to get it into their head that a 50 isn't an "average" game. The scoring isn't the school scoring.

70 is an average game. What a game is "expected" to get, lower than a 70, and you hit the level where "is this even worth playing?"
While (usually) an 80+ means that the game is worth putting your time into.

A 70 is one of the worst scores, imo, because it just means the game is mediocre (if you care for scores). Not particularly good, nor bad.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I got dogpiled for saying the everything about the game looked generic during the reveal period. Glad to be proven right.
I think a lot of us said that. It does look generic and that's not bad, it's just not good. It's always seemed like a A game trying to act like a AAA game. If this was linear like GoW I would get it so quickly but I'm over open world games.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Bruh I clicked the video and within like 3 of the top 6 comment threads there were a bunch of "Oh it's lisa" "White blooded man protag 1/10 ign" style comments. It absolutely is drawing the shitlords.
As I said they are there unfortunately, just not the major contribution to that shaming bombing, which is fanboys mostly. Or rightwing fanboys

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
lol is this the game they choose to launch this with?

RIP GameStop.
Think about it this way. Now, they get a ton of people coming in to buy the game at GameStop, rather than Amazon/Best Buy/etc. Most people won't come back to exchange within the time limit, even if they intend to.

If they do, now that person has $60 in GameStop credit - and GameStop has a fresh copy of Days Gone they can sell used for $55. Assuming Days Gone sells well with the casual market, they now have a large stock of used copies they can sell instead of buying new stock from Sony. GameStop sees $115 in revenue for one copy of Days Gone. In exchange they give out $60 in credit that may or may not be used.

It's a gamble, for sure. But if you're running a retail outlet and need fast revenue - there have been worse ideas. Of course, the risk is that Days Gone doesn't actually have the casual legs they're expecting - and they're left with a shitton of used copies that they paid far over market value for.

If you see used copies of Days Gone going for $20 come June, GameStop won't make it to 2020.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if you're entering this thread, do not post anything positive about the game or you be will crucified, because if the game is not 90+ on metacritic is not worth playing ffs

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
What? Knack 2 came out in 2017.
9b5.gif

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda thought many of the "gamey" aspects of Days Gone would leapfrog RDR2 and I might be right. RDR2 had atrocious control mechanics + mission design for an open world game in 2018 and as a game with such a monstrous budget and team size. In areas that seem to matter to the gameplay > graphics/presentation crowd, Days Gone seems to be a lot better than RDR2 but I think it goes without saying that Rockstar's detailed open world, presentation and story is in another league when compared. It's a very interesting balance of priorities from these reviewers. I think we'll see threads about this topic in the future.

The problem is those "gamey" aspects don't necessarily stand up to its counterparts either. It's a fine game to be sure, so it's getting hit because it doesn't particularly stand out in terms of those mechanics. RDR2 had control problems, but you soaked in the world and the story was fantastic. Far Cry 5 is narrative nonsense, but quite fun to play. Days Gone sort of... splits the difference? It's the jack of all trades problem.

The Mad Max comparisons are apt.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Oh... well, if you found The Order "fantastic" I guess you won't have ANY issue in finding Days Gone "fantastic" too.

(or any other game out there, actually ;) )

I've been slowly finding Reviews less and less relevant over the years.

Between them handing out 9s and 10s like candy and the low review scores for games I found quite enjoyable, I would just rather trust my own eyes 9 times out of ten.

Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, Killzone ShadowFall, The Order, Crackdown 3, Mario Tennis Ultimate Smash plus others are all games I thoroughly enjoyed but either reviewed poorly or were poorly received by the community.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Think about it this way. Now, they get a ton of people coming in to buy the game at GameStop, rather than Amazon/Best Buy/etc. Most people won't come back to exchange within the time limit, even if they intend to.

If they do, now that person has $60 in GameStop credit - and GameStop has a fresh copy of Days Gone they can sell used for $55. Assuming Days Gone sells well with the casual market, they now have a large stock of used copies they can sell instead of buying new stock from Sony. GameStop sees $115 in revenue for one copy of Days Gone. In exchange they give out $60 in credit that may or may not be used.

It's a gamble, for sure. But if you're running a retail outlet and need fast revenue - there have been worse ideas.

If you see used copies of Days Gone going for $20 come June, GameStop won't make it to 2020.

Keep in mind, the number of people who are going to either beat or be out on Days Gone within 48 hours of launch day are minuscule. People parroting the same stupid takes w/o reading the fine print. GameStop will gladly take that hit if it somehow gets more people in the door. The biggest problem for GameStop isn't that this promotion will somehow backfire or be exploited, it's that it probably won't be effective.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Oh... well, if you found The Order "fantastic" I guess you won't have ANY issue in finding Days Gone "fantastic" too.

(or any other game out there, actually ;) )
I mean it always depends on what you paid for it. My friend got The Order for $5 and he thought it was damn good game and shocked to find out about the low scores in MC. I rented the game when it came out and though it good a weekend rental game. Now, if I pay $60 for it, that would be a different story. The same thing will happen to Days Gone, the cheaper it gets (and fixed), the more "I thought it was a fun game, why was everyone giving it a hard time?" will show up, happens EVERY TIME.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I feel bad for the woman giving the review for IGN. The comments on the video are full of the alt-right/GG crowd and they're pissed.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
What Dan said on the beastcast turned me off, but the DF video wowed me with how good looking it is.
Does it play like a 3rd person Far Cry?

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Keep in mind, the number of people who are going to either beat or be out on Days Gone within 48 hours of launch day are minuscule. People parroting the same stupid takes w/o reading the fine print. GameStop will gladly take that hit if it somehow gets more people in the door. The biggest problem for GameStop isn't that this promotion will somehow backfire or be exploited, it's that it probably won't be effective.
Oh yeah, there's a reason this is a 48 hour limit instead of a 72 hour limit. If they define "Launch" as 10am Friday, you have until 10am Sunday to return it for full credit. But since the store isn't open at 9:59am Sunday, the deadline is more like closing time Saturday. Most people also work in Friday, so they won't be playing. Rather they'll start playing Friday night, and have to decide Saturday afternoon if they want to cash out.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017

Between them handing out 9s and 10s like candy and the low review scores for games I found quite enjoyable, I would just rather trust my own eyes 9 times out of ten.

Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, Killzone ShadowFall, The Order, Crackdown 3, Mario Tennis Ultimate Smash plus others are all games I thoroughly enjoyed but either reviewed poorly or were poorly received by the community.

Killer Instinct got reviewed again by some outlets during Season 2 and 3, and got an 86. I was pretty adamant day 1 that it was a great game(in my opinion best fighting game), but the amount of content was the issue for reviewers. I also was adamant about Rainbow Six Siege for the same reason.

Personally i think Crackdown, Ryse, and Killzone got the scores they deserved. I reviewed Crackdown recently and gave it a 68 myself. I enjoyed it, but there was a lot of things to dislike. Killzone i hated. Cant speak for DR3, or 1886

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Are they though? I would have thought all the negative reviews have been posted by now (feel free to post more) since that's what most of this discussion is about, but do you think he should be called out for posting positive reviews maybe to provide a bit more of a balanced outlook and discourse about the game than we're actually getting here, maybe to not contribute to the narrative that a game rated 72 and with mostly positive reviews is not necessarily a "disaster"?

I kinda thought many of the "gamey" aspects of Days Gone would leapfrog RDR2 and I might be right. RDR2 had atrocious control mechanics + mission design for an open world game in 2018 and as a game with such a monstrous budget and team size. In areas that seem to matter to the gameplay > graphics/presentation crowd, Days Gone seems to be a lot better than RDR2 but I think it goes without saying that Rockstar's detailed open world, presentation and story is in another league when compared. It's a very interesting balance of priorities from these reviewers. I think we'll see threads about this topic in the future.

VG247's review stated that the main missions are pretty linear so idk if Days Gone has better mission design.

"In missions, it wants you to play a very specific way, too. Go slightly off course and a warning flashes up that you're leaving the mission area. Keep going and you're back to a checkpoint.

In one mission, I'm driving a girl across the map to a nearby camp. We come to a tunnel and it quickly becomes apparent that this is a trap. I'm expected to get off my bike, kill all the enemies, then go back to my bike and ride through. Fuck that. I just ride through with the kid still on my back seat. As soon as I exit the tunnel, both of us fully intact, I get a mission failed screen for leaving the kid behind – the kid that's on my back seat."

https://www.vg247.com/2019/04/25/days-gone-review/amp/

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly a bit shocked, thought it was due for low 80s for sure.

Curious how word of mouth will affect sales. It probably won't have the legs GOW and Spidey did but it might have a good launch at least.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This gen they have been a lot better with review scores. If a game got a 94 it earned it, as well if it got a 60 it earned that.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Can't say I'm sorry for Bend. When you wait all these years to make your own game and the best you can come up with is a zombie open world game..like, what the hell? Seriously?

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
People who follow scores really need to get it into their head that a 50 isn't an "average" game. The scoring isn't the school scoring.

70 is an average game. What a game is "expected" to get, lower than a 70, and you hit the level where "is this even worth playing?"

A 70 is one of the worst scores, imo, because it just means the game is mediocre (if you care for scores). Not particularly good, nor bad.

Eh, I don't think it's that simple, and the complexity is where I think most scale-based reasoning usually falls apart. There are a lot of games that get 70 or below for reasons other than being "not even worth playing". Niche games, or games that may not be necessarily "good" games on a review playthrough, but provide some kind of enjoyable experience if a regular person puts some time into it. I've seen games in the 60s that find some kind of audience.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

I was about to post something similar in that thread that got locked...

But for school scoring, 50, 60 is failing. 70 is passing. I should say some schools, lol.

IIRC, up to 69 is failing. At least up to 65 for sure is.

Days Gone would be able to walk across the stage, graduate with a 72.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Huh Imagine that. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if a lot of these reviewers like the Gamespot one played 10-20 hours, made up their mind, and then dropped the game.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Eh, I don't think it's that simple, and the complexity is where I think most scale-based reasoning usually falls apart. There are a lot of games that get 70 or below for reasons other than being "not even worth playing". Niche games, or games that may not be necessarily "good" games on a review playthrough, but provide some kind of enjoyable experience if a regular person puts some time into it. I've seen games in the 60s that find some kind of audience.

Oh I've enjoyed loads of lower scored games, I was speaking more general. And I think the general response to a game under 70 is, "will I spend 60 dollars on this? Probably not".

I had a ton of fun with Crackdown 3, but I wouldn't have bought it full price (or any price really, due to gamepass).

Karmic

Jul 14, 2018
Oregon, United States
Don't know if this one has been posted, or if anybody visits this site for anything but trophy guides, but PlayStation Trophies really enjoyed it, giving it a 90/100.
Along with Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider-Man et al., Days Gone is another reason to be happy that you own a PS4. More than just another zombie shooter, Days Gone is a single-player survival game with brains and heart that also happens to be a lot of fun.
Source: https://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/days-gone/review/

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Huh Imagine that. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if a lot of these reviewers like the Gamespot one played 10-20 hours, made up their mind, and then dropped the game.

Look, if you dont find a game good within the first ten hours (I'd even say two) then you are never going to find it good and it's not the player or reviewer's responsibility to force themselves to get to the endgame where it apparently gets good.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is those "gamey" aspects don't necessarily stand up to its counterparts either. It's a fine game to be sure, so it's getting hit because it doesn't particularly stand out in terms of those mechanics. RDR2 had control problems, but you soaked in the world and the story was fantastic. Far Cry 5 is narrative nonsense, but quite fun to play. Days Gone sort of... splits the difference? It's the jack of all trades problem.

The Mad Max comparisons are apt.
That is fair enough, I'm glad you explained it the way you did. I'm looking to enjoy Days Gone for what it is and what I earlier described. I will be surprised if any major aspect of the game is as egregious as Rockstar being the publisher that they are thinking gameplay mechanics straight out of 2008 is acceptable for 2018 standards. Bend Studio at least with a peak staff count of ~140 people have a reason for falling behind their open world contemporaries? I don't see Rockstar having one.

I'd trust most reviewers over some guy who calls himself "PS4_Trophies" on Twitter.
That is the handle for the website they run. Person who plays video games inside-out to get all of the trophies and make guides for them as a job? Granted I don't think he is in the role that requires him to post detailed critical opinions on the games he plays like reviewers do and that doesn't guarantee he's a better critic, but he certainly would know these games in a more intimate manner than most reviewers due to the nature of what they do.

Last edited:

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Vilifying game journalism, misogynistic rhetoric; accumulated infractions
I'd trust most reviewers over some guy who calls himself "PS4_Trophies" on Twitter.
He isn't just some random guy. Brian is a great guy who makes guides for games. I'd trust him over people like that girl from Gamespot who wants to throw her political beliefs into the mix.

Oct 27, 2017
I see a lot of positive reviews? And a lot of DODGED A BULLET THERE LADS! comments from people cancelling preorders. 70 odd isn't a bad game, this narrative that stuff is only worth playing if it's 80-90 or above is idiotic.

A lot of the comments in the negative reviews don't sound like stuff that will bother me. I couldn't care less if Deacon trades slaves and kills infected children.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I like zombie games and the detailed world sounds really well done, I also really feel like playing something exactly like this atm so I'm definitely getting it.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Look, if you dont find a game good within the first ten hours (I'd even say two) then you are never going to find it good and it's not the player or reviewer's responsibility to force themselves to get to the endgame where it apparently gets good.

Agreed.

Regardless of this particular game, if I have to play 30 or 40 hours for it to get good or make sense then I'd rather play something else.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yong Yea pointed out something I was concerned about prior to release and that is Deacon constantly talking to himself. In the example he gives in his video, it's actually worse than I thought it could be and treads steadfast and headlong into cringe territory.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'll stick with Gamespot and the other 25 review sites saying the same thing - this game is average at best, terrible at it's worst.

'Ps4 trophies' a bit upset at a ps4 exclusive getting panned.....hmmmm