• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Fighting game meets tennis in mario universe? You missed out on quite the mash up.
What killed it for me was the story mode being described as "brief" and "disappointing". I liked the core gameplay but don't have many people to play with and was mostly getting it for the singleplayer. Might pick it up if I can find it super cheap sometime, but a game that is effectively a "multiplayer-only" fighting/sports game just isn't for me. Especially not at full price.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing reviewers cite repetitive open-world quests and give this sub-5s makes me curious how Spiderman got such a pass when it had many of the same complaints and consistently scored 8s and 9s.
Because its gameplay is great from the traversal to the combat and because they did the Spider-man IP justice. The set pieces in that game were also awesome and the general campaign missions were great. Days Gone seems to combine a mixed story with dull gameplay and bad mission design.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
What killed it for me was the story mode being described as "brief" and "disappointing". I liked the core gameplay but don't have many people to play with and was mostly getting it for the singleplayer. Might pick it up if I can find it super cheap sometime, but a game that was effectively a "multiplayer-only" fighting/sports game was not for me. Especially not at full price.

Fair dues. It is a shame the price of entry is still so high...cannot believe it is still near full retail.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Incoming youtube videos about white gamer genocide. It's like the opposite of Resident Evil 5.

I mean I'm sorry but I don't agree with anything that Gamespot reviewer had to say. Complaining about the game b/c the zombies are all apparently white? Complaining because there is some playful banter at a biker wedding about "you better ride me as much as you ride your bike." She clearly got offended and didn't even think for a moment that it makes sense for that. Clearly has never seen Sons of Anarchy. That 5/10 from Gamespot makes complete sense now.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I assure you, my camera mugging happens in private, too.
There's really not much difference between onscreen Greg and offscreen Greg, Y'all.

Seeing reviewers cite repetitive open-world quests and give this sub-5s makes me curious how Spiderman got such a pass when it had many of the same complaints and consistently scored 8s and 9s.
Because moment-to-moment, it's a blast to be Spider-Man. If your core gameplay is fantastic or unique, players don't tired of doing the same thing over and over.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Because its gameplay is great from the traversal to the combat and because they did the Spider-man IP justice. The set pieces in that game were also awesome. Days Gone seems to combine a mixed story with dull gameplay and bad mission design.
Yep. Spider-Man's mechanics and traversal were good enough to get you through the repetetive aspects. I'm watching the GB Quicklook and this bounty mission where Vinny is chasing a guy at a glacial pace while only being able to target his bike with pot shots looks so fucking tedious. Sigh

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That is ridiculously bull shit for Wildlands. That game's gameplay is up there near (but not exceeding) MSGV. There is just a inherint bias in reality based games with the games media that aren't great stories.
It's not bias, mechanically driven games like hitman, dishonored, prey are well reviewed. Ubisoft output is well received and most of em don't have even good stories. If you gonna focus on story telling and characters, make em good like any other part of your experience, it ain't rocket science.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot that I pre-ordered this game and it showed up at my house today. Apparently I was interested in at at some point. I'll give it a shot in a few weeks probably, I've enjoyed some solid 7s in my day.

OP
OP
Neat

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
A Nun... Lol... And do you expect all fictional characters to behave the way you do? Sure it's a crass and unorthodox line, but they're going biker culture blunt and fun. Biker culture is not exactly known for being super sophisticated or gallant, and I'm pretty sure a variant of that line is actually from a wedding in Sons of Anarchy.
I was responding to someone who said "lol they were mocking the priest, is cool".

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sony are great at bundling their games, I can see this being free with every ps4 for the entire year. that should drive some numbers for the game and will hopefully keep Bend afloat?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's evident that Spiderman just feels much better to play. Every game has a core gameplay loop where you do a finite amount of things more than once. When people describe repetition it's basically like saying the core systems aren't very fun and thus doing the same things over and over isn't very fun. It's why even though you have a shit ton of camps in Far Cry games no one really calls those repetitive because the core gameplay of far cry is fun AF.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Would like to ad my review (in portuguese).
Echo Boomer - 8/10
https://echoboomer.pt/analise-days-gone/

The game drags too much at first, the whole concept and gameplay mechanics are tired, the story is serviceable and has some overacting. Lots of bugs and technical problems can move awayr many players at first.

Eventually, the game becomes unexpectedly very good. Once things fall in place, the game becomes very solid, at almost at Sony Exclusive levels, the characters have a lot of heart and are compeling and the gameplay loop turns very fun with new weapons and skills.

Bend nailed the world created and really feels dangerous most of the time.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the difference is is that spiderman 1. Is spiderman, and 2. Had an interesting story. I didn't nearly love the game as much as others because of the terrible open world but the story was a fairly good experience that didn't really force you to spend tons and tons of Time in the city. I beat spiderman in like 18 hours and it seems that Days gone just gets started after that point

Punpun

Alt account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
So do I trust the german reviews (4players 80, Gamepro 80) or the international press?

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I think Jeff @GiantBomb might be one of the few who has been very consistent with Days Gone. He hated it first time he played at E3 and has been hating on it ever since.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Glad I waited for reviews instead of the early streams, completely different view. It went from 'the game seems good and OMG the story is awesome but a few tech issues' - too the story is meh and the game is meh..

I really had no intentions on playing this until I heard reviews from publications and regular folk, but early in the week the hype went up only to be crushed with the reviews this morning.. I guess I've learned a lesson in my old age, wait for the fucking reviews I've trusted in the past and "real" people playing the game before making a decision.

As far as the 70s "ain't bad" - games tend to adhere to the (at least US) grading scale - a 70-79 in school means "congrats you were lucky to graduate" - but doesn't mean your a failure because there are games which "failed " that I loved... but they had something that interested me or had something unique (Until Dawn, Detroit) , this one really doesn't..seems like a Ubisoft-open world wannabe.. And I love Ubi open world games they got the formula right (I don't care if you disagree this is my opinion and no one will change it). Maybe once the price drops or ends up on PS+ it'll change my mind but 'generic' seems accurate and to top it off, when I saw the first trailer the main character being a 'bikerbro' (new term to me thanks to this thread and reviews) immediately took off points...

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic summary including the phrase "it's glitchy" is really surprising for a Sony first-party game. Is it that bad?

First game I ever returned to Amazon after reviews came out was Mario Tennis Aces. It's a very sad feeling.

Can I just slap the new label over the package when UPS delivers it and have him take it back? lol

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Vinny from Giant Bomb seems to enjoy the game - this is my basis for open world games. That man is an open world game guy for sure.

kululuart

May 22, 2018
I mean I'm sorry but I don't agree with anything that Gamespot reviewer had to say. Complaining about the game b/c the zombies are all apparently white? Complaining because there is some playful banter at a biker wedding about "you better ride me as much as you ride your bike." She clearly got offended and didn't even think for a moment that it makes sense for that. Clearly has never seen Sons of Anarchy. That 5/10 from Gamespot makes complete sense now.
this ain't it chief

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I dunno, sometimes reviewers spend more time with games than other people. Like I was reading Katana Zero reviews after I finished it in 4 hours and a lot of reviewers were talking about 8-10 hours story.
Yeah I definitely wont say that everyone plays a ton like that I personally have a friend that's one and done with every game and never replays at all and rearely does anything but the critical path. But I firmly beleive that more people than not spend more time with games than the average reviewer and even if the total gametime winds up less at times they took longer to get there and had more time to reflect. Especially with these big open world games with tons to do and explore i feel that gamers spend more time experiencing those worlds than most reviewers. , and thats just inherent to their job and how things work currently and i think their can be a better way to grade these games.