• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gameovergreggy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA

tenor.gif

How does one go from

"Days Gone is a hell of a game. Sam Witwer and Courtnee Draper are great, the combat is fun, but the real hero is the world. It's fascinating to explore, littered with cool moments, and beautiful. You never know what's next."

to

"It's not a rewarding or particularly fun video game."

https://twitter.com/GameOverGreggy/status/1121424520949014528
I also talked about it on KFGD a bit, but I'll talk in depth on the Gamescast today.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
The first thing I thought when I saw this game was generic, feel sorry for Bend but this is what you get when you design by trends. Im a little surprised with reviews since I thought these big sites eat these types of games up but even IGN couldn't kid itself. Zombies check, open world check, non-descript bland main protagonist check, survival mechanics check, what can go wrong.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
the majority of reviewers are giving very mixed reviews
The game has received mostly positive reviews. Check for yourself. There are harsh ones, but mostly positive.

This narrative that DG is a disaster will probably stick for those who wanted it to be bad for whatever reason, but I don't think a 70+ has ever been a bad result all things considered. I think it's more of a case that Sony has been on a critical high for so long that this is probably not a good look for them.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck it. I just pre-ordered it. I loved Mad Max despite feeling exhausted in the end. I am pretty sure I will enjoy this one with breaks as well. The music of the saw mill theme was also worth it.

Feb 21, 2019
Im going into this expecting something awesomely bad. B Movie....motorcycles, zombies, bad writing, biker gangs....

Hopefully it delivers on this (and is not just bad).

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
You know what, I'm fine with the reviews, gonna wait for a deep sale and probably enjoy the game. I enjoyed a lot of games that didn't resonate with reviewers at all like Alien: Isolation or Mad Max, not on top of my best of all times list but definitely enjoyable games. Looking forward to playing this in a year or so.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Seeing reviewers cite repetitive open-world quests and give this sub-5s makes me curious how Spiderman got such a pass when it had many of the same complaints and consistently scored 8s and 9s.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently that shitty line is something Bikers do at weddings (biker weddings) fairly often. Apparently it was a Son's of Anarchy thing too...

I'm not into or knowledgeable about biker culture so meh

But that's the reason it's in the game. It's a thing that is said

Sons of Anarchy was a terribly written show so It was always worried me how it was often referenced in relation to this game.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

Incoming youtube videos about white gamer genocide. It's like the opposite of Resident Evil 5.

I mean... in Oregon, probably most would be. It's like the whitest state in the US due to a horrible history of racism and at one point it was literally considered a "whites only" state.
Her talking points kind of don't make me respect her review much though. They are kind of a weird focus in the larger picture of the game.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Im going into this expecting something awesomely bad. B Movie....motorcycles, zombies, bad writing, biker gangs....

Hopefully it delivers on this (and is not just bad).
yeh, this thread and specifically the wedding video is making me want to get this, i'll probably wait for the hardcore mode dlc tho. Hopefully its on sale by then.

Mar 29, 2018
I mean... in Oregon, probably most would be. It's like the whitest state in the US due to a horrible history of racism and at one point it was literally considered a "whites only" state.
Her talking points kind of don't make me respect her review much though. They are kind of a weird focus in the larger picture of the game.
Those "talking points" are bits she specifically didn't get to cover in the review, hence weird nitpicks

Punpun

Alt account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
It's strange how outlets that easily throw around high numbers (Gamespot, IGN...) rated this game so low, while the most critical german magazine (4players) rated this game at 80 even though their rating is usually lower than most others.

MaximusPayne

Dec 14, 2017
Wildlands and Dying Light both met similar review scores. I'm ok with this as I spent countless fun hours in both of these games.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Funny people have compared this to Mad Max, because I have been replaying it the past couple days.

That Gamestop "Play with no risk" deal might come in handy. Picking it up later tonight after Endgame. Will see if I like it by Saturday to get the full trade in.

Might just be the game to cause them to stop that policy.. Sorry, can't trade it back those days are gone.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game has received mostly positive reviews. Check for yourself. There are harsh ones, but mostly positive.

This narrative that DG is a disaster will probably stick for those who wanted it to be bad for whatever reason, but I don't think a 70+ has ever been a bad result all things considered. I think it's more of a case that Sony has been on a critical high for so long that this is probably not a good look for them.
Yeah it's doing "good" overall.
postivegukv7.png

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any video reviews that go into depth about the crafting... or if there is any? I feel like most just talk about the skill progression on the bike.

Feb 21, 2019
yeh, this thread and specifically the wedding video is making me want to get this, i'll probably wait for the hardcore mode dlc tho. Hopefully its on sale by then.
Exactly! There is a beauty to awesomely bad movies and games. Gamers are funny fickle folks who takes things so seriously sometimes. Im not saying this game is one of them. Haven't played it. But from what I have seen, it looks awesomely bad, writing and all.

I want a Keanu Reves from Point Break line "I AM AN F---B----IIIIIII AGENT!"

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Metacritic summary including the phrase "it's glitchy" is really surprising for a Sony first-party game. Is it that bad?

First game I ever returned to Amazon after reviews came out was Mario Tennis Aces. It's a very sad feeling.

Fighting game meets tennis in mario universe? You missed out on quite the mash up.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still hyped to play tonight. I did hope it would've been a 80+ game, but I'm not sensitive to review scores.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Had a discounted preorder but I'll probably cancel it. I still need to finish Resident Evil 2, Sekiro and Kingdom Hearts 3 among other stuff so I can wait for a further price drop.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know what's worse, the line itself or the fact he STILL wears that stupid goddamn hat during the wedding (when it clearly isn't a shotgun wedding since she is in an actual dress)

Edit: OK I actually watched the full context and the line is a joke by the characters herself, it's fine!! I was wrong

Last edited: