• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kojima had enough clout to make whatever he wanted at Konami.

What broke the camel's back was his insistence on gobbling up bigger and bigger budgets for singular games that took years to develop and deprive the rest of the video game division of resources. Kojima effectively reduced Konami to a blockbuster-or-bust game studio when their output used to be a lot more varied.

Deprive? This is fucking Konami.

A recent study reveals Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain made an impressive $179 million in global sales within the first 24 hours, more than doubling its cost.

It's no secret that Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain was a huge success at launch, but until now it was unknown just how successful Konami's latest title was. However, thanks to a new report, we now know Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain made a whopping $179 million globally on its opening day.

What makes Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain's success even more remarkable is that the game was made for $80 million, meaning it paid for itself twice over within the first 24 hours. And considering the fact that the remaining new releases slotted for this year have yet to launch, there's a good chance Konami's Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain's total sales numbers will easily clear 10 million units sold globally.

https://gamerant.com/metal-gear-solid-5-sales-day-one/

Oh no, we made money in 24 hours! Lets cry about it, torch a whole team, act like lunatics to staff/employees and career off the deep end and make Pachinko machines almost full time.

Konami had something good with games, Konami blew themselves up chasing after gambling and easy wins.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank god Shu didn't greenlight any Bend games and pushed them towards a PS4 blockbuster...

Remember some interview where Bend said they liked being a smaller team. Guess it shows.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Deprive? This is fucking Konami.

https://gamerant.com/metal-gear-solid-5-sales-day-one/

Oh no, we made money in 24 hours! Lets cry about it, torch a whole team, act like lunatics to staff/employees and career off and make Pachinko machines almost full time.

Konami had something good with games, Konami blew themselves up chasing after gambling and easy wins.
That MGSV was a success in sales doesn't change the fact that their video game division had effectively become Kojima's personal playground for hyper-expensive pet projects.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We received our code for Days Gone on April 10th and we're not a big publication, so most reviewers should've had over 2 weeks for Days Gone, which apparently is a 30-40 hour game if you're mostly focussing on the story. That's a lot of time for a game of that length.

That's good to hear. Thanks for the info.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That MGSV was a success in sales doesn't change the fact that their video game division had effectively become Kojima's personal playground for hyper-expensive pet projects.

It made them money? A lot of money? All of this is about making money and getting fame/attention/acclaim.

They torched one of their biggest home names/assets because Konami is Konami and they eventually ruin nearly every IP they have. Silent Hill ended up just great, didn't it? Couldn't even be assed funding a serious HD port and threw their toys out of a pram over Silent Hills.

How did that new MGS game that Konami released do? Yeah, thought so.

To actually argue Konami was right or had it in their best interest to torch their relation with Kojima and that whole studio is some next-level brain shit.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It made them money? A lot of money? All of this is about making money and getting fame/attention/acclaim.

They torched one of their biggest home names/assets because Konami is Konami and they eventually ruin nearly every IP they have. Silent Hill ended up just great, didn't it? Couldn't even be assed funding a serious HD port and threw their toys out of a pram over Silent Hills.

How did that new MGS game that Konami released do? Yeah, thought so.

To actually argue Konami was right or had it in their best interest to torch their relation with Kojima and that whole studio is some next-level brain shit.
Konami has actually been more profitable ever since they dumped Kojima.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Konami has actually been more profitable ever since they dumped Kojima.

And that's to do with gambling/gacha/other low-effort shite.

If that's your barometer for being a good games company, let's hope Sony nukes ND for taking years with their projects and costing money. Why spend money on that when Sony could be swimming in gacha/pachinko?

It's almost as if, if you want to be remembered for quality in the games industry it's about mixing the balance of critical acclaim and profit. Of which, Kojima has always done.

An £80 million budget ain't even that outrageous in the industry now as long as you can double/triple (or more) it in sales.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Thank god Shu didn't greenlight any Bend games and pushed them towards a PS4 blockbuster...

Remember some interview where Bend said they liked being a smaller team. Guess it shows.
I'm not hating on this game, but it kills me that we didn't get the InFamous Vita game that they pitched.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
And that's to do with gambling/gacha/other low-effort shite.

If that's your barometer for being a good games company, lets hope Sony nukes ND for taking years with their projects and costing money. Why spend money on that when Sony could be swimming in gacha/pachinko?

It's almost as if, if you want to be remembered for quality in the games industry it's about mixing the balance of critical acclaim and profit. Of which, Kojima has always done.
Konami doesn't care. We're not privy to what went on behind closed doors, but I'm not going to pretend that Kojima was blameless in his falling out with the company. The only thing that matters to Konami at this point is that they're doing better financially now than they were with Kojima making Hollywood blockbusters. That they're mostly a gambling machine/health club company at this point is beside the point.

That being said, this is getting off-topic.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
Funny people have compared this to Mad Max, because I have been replaying it the past couple days.

That Gamestop "Play with no risk" deal might come in handy. Picking it up later tonight after Endgame. Will see if I like it by Saturday to get the full trade in.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Konami doesn't care. We're not privy to what went on behind closed doors, but I'm not going to pretend that Kojima was blameless in his falling out with the company. The only thing that matters to Konami at this point is that they're doing better financially now than they were with Kojima making Hollywood blockbusters. That they're mostly a gambling machine/health club company at this point is beside the point.

That being said, this is getting off-topic.

We're on a video game forum talking about video games in a review topic for a video game. Most people here couldn't give two shits about health spas.

When you have the time, let me know of all the critically acclaimed Konami games that have been released as of late. Kojima has long been one of the biggest assets in the games industry whether you like his games or not. He's almost at Rockstar consistency with getting acclaim and making money from every project. Just well in the shadows of the Rockstar income, but no one can touch it. Except maybe Fortnite, which could have surpassed even GTA (not sure).

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
there's a lot of comparisons between MGSV and Days Gone actually. gameplay is similar. not sure if there's anything as bad as quiet in days gone

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific NW
A 7 from mainstream games press is like a 3 in reality. Terrible result for Bend Studio; I feel bad for them. I always thought it looked derivative, but was hoping to be proven wrong.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Do any reviews mention if the game delves into the backstory of Deacon's Iconic Hat?

End credits image spoiler:

Hairy-Biker-Goes-Bald-for-Hair-Loss-Charity.jpg

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
We're on a video game forum talking about video games in a review topic for a video game. Most people here couldn't give two shits about health spas.

When you have the time, let me know of all the critically acclaimed Konami games that have been released as of late. Kojima has long been one of the biggest assets in the games industry whether you like his games or not. He's almost at Rockstar consistency with getting acclaim and making money from every project. Just well in the shadows of the Rockstar income, but no one can touch it. Except maybe Fortnite, which could have surpassed even GTA (not sure).
Konami doesn't care about video game critical acclaim. If they did, they'd have a deeper investment in video games than they currently do.

Yes, this is a video game forum. But Konami isn't solely a video game company and it's no longer the primary focus of their business. Ignoring that is ignoring reality.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Konami doesn't care about video game critical acclaim. If they did, they'd have a deeper investment in video games than they currently do.

Yes, this is a video game forum. But Konami isn't solely a video game company and it's no longer the primary focus of their business. Ignoring that is ignoring reality.

You quoted me when I was responding to another poster who was seemingly a bit concerned about how Death Stranding might turn out? So I don't really know what your point at the end of this actually is? Just to say Konami doesn't give a shit about (quality/acclaimed) video games? I already know that, I said as much.

But my original post was for the poster I quoted to specifically highlight why I personally think Kojima will most likely carry on his trend of acclaim and making money, even with a new IP. A big budget and a lot of talent are going into Death Stranding, and I trust Sony/Guerilla to be overseeing it properly.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
Woo hoo refund processed! Dodged a dud bullet there. I'll wait for a steep discount on days gone before I buy again.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017

What are you arguing? That Kojima isn't an asset to a videogames company? Or that videogames companies should fire expensive talent and get into gambling and gyms?

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
I have seen this coming a long time ago. I am repeating myself but game looks bland, generic and completely uninspired.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Kojima had enough clout to make whatever he wanted at Konami.

What broke the camel's back was his insistence on gobbling up bigger and bigger budgets for singular games that took years to develop and deprive the rest of the video game division of resources. Kojima effectively reduced Konami to a blockbuster-or-bust game studio when their output used to be a lot more varied.
Not true. It was known that Konami forced Kojima to keep working on MGS games. Ever since MGS 3 or 4, Kojima kept saying in interviews that he would like to work on something new. Also, regarding his games, it was also said (by insiders) that Kojima's games were often, if not always, on budget.
Solid execution but poor vision. About sums it up.
Didn't you say the game would be getting 72 or something? :P

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Eh I'll still rent it from Redbox, world sounds interesting at least and I need something to play to get through the weekend before the glut of VR news next week.

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
This had Order vibes all over it. There even seemed to be s similar denial about it for some reason. Not surprised.

Hope it's still a commercial success for Bend.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I agree, but their production quality is much higher, so it still rakes in high scores. You could even say these companies know how to make a game that reviewers like, instead of making a truly unforgettable experience for their players.

I think it's quite impressive Bend Studio came even somewhat near that production quality with a fraction of the resources those other companies have.
If that should've been their goal to begin with is a whole different question..
I hope youre joking now. Games that reviewed well like Ubi open worlds, RDR 2 and W3 are reviewed well because they range from good to fantastic to all time greats, not because its specifically targeted towards critics. if that was the case those same games would not be praised on the internet, would not get accolades from user voting. And production quality is only one the ingredients , ubi games rely on systemic open world design , gameplay loops and rewards. RDR 2 and W3 as much as they rely on presentation , without stellar writing theyre nothing . And majority of people considered those same games unforgettable experiences, flaws and all. So I have no idea where are you coming from

May 26, 2018
Scores and reviews are exactly what I suspected since the game revealed itself. It's too bad. I didn't have a ton of interest in it, but it would've been nice to have a cool open world zombie game.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A man who wears a backwards cap at a wedding is a bad man. You shan't be riding me with that thing on.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Scores and reviews are exactly what I suspected since the game revealed itself. It's too bad. I didn't have a ton of interest in it, but it would've been nice to have a cool open world zombie game.

I wanted a solitary 'me and my bike game' without redemption arcs and emotional story telling; a game with nothing but good side missions and a great ride. That game would have scored a 37, lol.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know. If I said to my girlfriend "I'm going to ride you" in front of Nun I think it would be f*cking horrible.

A Nun... Lol... And do you expect all fictional characters to behave the way you do? Sure it's a crass and unorthodox line, but they're going biker culture blunt and fun. Biker culture is not exactly known for being super sophisticated or gallant, and I'm pretty sure a variant of that line is actually from a wedding in Sons of Anarchy.

Because you liked games they didn't. Btw they're banned now so don't expect a review.

Side note I've always enjoyed your work.

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
I don't know what Bend and Sony (or anyone else for that matter) expected with this game. The entire premise of the game screamed mediocre and generic.