• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 6, 2017
US
Woman makes crude joke in church = ERA goes full Tipper Gore

sensiblechuckle.gif

Also, I kinda dig how utterly crazy Review threads get. They're definitely the funniest shit on ERA.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

That has nothing to do with what the other poster said, he said it could be the most divisive reviewed game which looking at Kojima's track record doesn't make sense.
Absolutely. If the game is some kind of auteur, artistic take on gaming that's premise and gameplay are very "out there" and "wacko", then yes the game won't review that well with some reviewers.
MGSV had some serious flaws with the story and it still managed over 90, Kojima always delivers a special complete package and I don't see why it would be different even if it's trying new things, actually that's even a plus to it reviewing very high.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's part of the story. There's more to it than what I mentioned, to be vague, but not in a way that solves my problem with it.

Yeah, the game just seems waaay off tonally. Your review makes me think, why would I even want to start to play this. It's a shame they didn't land this one, but it seems like there's a multitude of issues.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
A 7 is about what I expected. It always looked like a 7 so no surprise for me. 7 is not a bad score assuming the full scale is used. Wasn't interested but a score of 9 or so would have made me check it out but I'll wait for a cheap copy down the road. Not every first party game can be incredible.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I think the game will be slightly better received once all the bugs, glitches and frame pacing issues have been ironed out via patches. Hopefully the devs are hard at work on this as we speak.

For as long as this game has been in development and with all the earlier builds not showing most of these bugs, glitches and frame pacing issues, it's a wonder why it was delayed at all if it was going to release in an even worse state than it was shown previously.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I was underestimating this if anything but this is a good 10 points lower than I thought, wow

GameSpot and IGN having lots of weight really tanked it.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
The Easy Allies review seems very fair and makes me feel better about buying the game. They seemed to really enjoy everything about the game except for the numerous glitches they encountered. Having survived Fallout games, I'm okay with some glitching, lol. I'm sure more patches will help iron things out. I highly doubt this will be sent out to die.
Yeah, lots of good stuff in that review hitting both the stuff he liked and some of the main issues that have seemingly come up in multiple reviews, also makes me pretty interested since he still gave it that 7.5 despite the problems since he really reiterated multiple times the stuff he really liked he really liked a lot even despite some of the problems and repetition/bloat as well as the glitches he ran into.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, surely when you're at these events anda vet like Miller you ask questions to the Devs. Is this the main hook of the game? how much variety is there? Man theres some serious technical issues here I should be a little cautious in over hyping this.

If there are technical issues here I'm sure there were technical issues in older builds. It's not Like Gregg is some Newbie, he's been around for years. He fanboyed out at the preview, wanted hits and wanted to love the game. got over excited or something. I don't wanna put words in his mouth but going full force hyperbole preview to the games not good is fucking shit for any of his fanbase that really trusts his opinion. You're playing with peoples money man. If you bought this digital, we know what Sony's like. GOod luck in getting that cash back.

It's not uncommon to get a slice of the game and be positive about it, only to discover the full game is less so. I played the 3 hour preview build too, and it left me more positive (but still wary) than the actual game. Why? Because one of the main problems of Days Gone is the pacing, which is hard to 'feel' in 3 hour preview. That preview also had one of the better missions in it, and as you only get a small slice of the story it wasn't possible to notice the story is kind of a mess. It's also impossible to notice how tedious the progression system is in such a small slice of such a big game. And that's not stuff 'you ask' the developer, imo, as you only get PR-approved answers anyway. In my case I got the interview a lead animator, so I focussed on asking questions about animation.

All of what I liked in the preview build, I liked in the full game too. I liked how the action played, I liked the atmosphere, liked some of the enemy AI (the humans can feel smart in the way they look for you and try to counter you, though at times they are dumb as fuck too). But the full game gets dragging for multiple reasons, and became less and less interesting and fun over time.

And about the technical problems: when you play a preview build, you kind of take into account you play 'work in progress' and that bug squashing is the last part of the development process anyway. In Days Gone not all the problems disappeared sadly, but 2 months ago it could very well be that the full game would run smooth as butter;

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A 7 is about what I expected. It always looked like a 7 so no surprise for me. 7 is not a bad score assuming the full scale is used. Wasn't interested but a score of 9 or so would have made me check it out but I'll wait for a cheap copy down the road. Not every first party game can be incredible.
Reading the actual text does not read like a 7.

Avengers Endgame is 6 points apart on Metacritic from Days Gone. Shows how different these industries reviewing practices are.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

sensiblechuckle.gif

Also, I kinda dig how utterly crazy Review threads get. They're definitely the funniest shit on ERA.

But didn't you know, bikers always speak with pure class, lol. I know people in bike clubs that are very raunchy with their wives. One recently had a nsfw pinup done of his wife and shared it on fucking facebook. She was absolutely thrilled.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Religious or not, if you're inside a church, just out of sheer respect to others inside, you remove whatever headwear you're wearing when entering most (all?) Christian churches. And this guy is wearing one at his own freaking wedding!

I'm sorry, I know it's a silly thing to Zero in on but, as someone who got married not long ago at a Catholic ceremony, it's bothering me, more than it should but still.
Not necessarily. Not everyone cares to respect outmoded social mores.

Also, I think in the context of the game, with one witness, it's not that odd.

Obviously a big wedding yeah you want to be respectful: but it's a little different when it's your own wedding with no one else to please.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
this, it will surprise many people because they now think the game sucks. (don´t know why but some people need this 90 metacritic to think of a great game which is just wrong)

i think the low scores more or less come from the fact reviewers expectations were also too high and that the game does nothing really new but i think it will turn out as an entertaining romp.

i mean, there are many 8/10 reviews too, some go even higher.

and frankly, mostly it is the divisive games that are the most interesting, when a game only gets good grades the chance is high that if someone goes in with "game is gonna be stellar!" attitude it has the chance to disappoint much harder than the other way round.
Could happen. Most of the reviews are positive, it's only on places like Era where a 72 could be a dumpster fire.

Mar 29, 2018
Reminder--Horizon Zero Dawn was made by the same studio who made Killzone Shadow Fall. This might be Bend's Shadow Fall.

This is such a skewed way of looking at things. HZD was by a seasoned and large high end studio. Bend was a far smaller team who mainly made ports.
Drolls means amusing lol

But I don't disagree with you!
"Droll" means tired, boring and overdone

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

sensiblechuckle.gif

Pretty sure nobody cares that it's a sex joke. It's just really lame and unfunny.

Saying "but it's part of biker culture!" doesn't lessen that; a lot of things from biker culture are still stuck in the 90s. But she'll be here all week! Try the veal. Badum bum!

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Could happen. Most of the reviews are positive, it's only on places like Era where a 72 could be a dumpster fire.
Its how we've been conditioned to interpret game reviews because they've traditonally used about 3 numbers on a 10 point scale. This generation has definitely changed that more than it has been in the past.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Bought the collectors edition but might return it. You guys think it'll be hard to find when discounted?

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
MGSV had some serious flaws with the story and it still managed over 90, Kojima always delivers a special complete package and I don't see why it would be different even if it's trying new things, actually that's even a plus to it reviewing very high.
Yes but Metal Gear Solid V was a sequel to an already established franchise, so you kind of knew what to expect gameplay-wise and narrative-wise. Death Stranding is a new IP and as such, we know nothing about it and strangely nothing narratively has been shown off and the game is supposed to be releasing soon?? There's a slight chance that this game could be Kojima's first major flop, but none of us will know that until the reviews hit or we play it ourselves.

Me personally, I love Hideo Kojima and all the games he makes, so I will definitely be checking out Death Stranding - but I'm not excited or hyped for it because I know nothing about it; other than it looks pretty and has celebrities in it. I will definitely wait for reviews and impressions to see if it's even something I would like to play.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's not uncommon to get a slice of the game and be positive about it, only to discover the full game is less so. I played the 3 hour preview build too, and it left me more positive (but still wary) than the actual game. Why? Because one of the main problems of Days Gone is the pacing, which is hard to 'feel' in 3 hour preview. That preview also had one of the better missions in it, and as you only get a small slice of the story it wasn't possible to notice the story is kind of a mess. It's also impossible to notice how tedious the progression system is in such a small slice of such a big game. And that's not stuff 'you ask' the developer, imo, as you only get PR-approved answers anyway. In my case I got the interview a lead animator, so I focussed on asking questions about animation.

All of what I liked in the preview build, I liked in the full game too. I liked how the action played, I liked the atmosphere, liked some of the enemy AI (the humans can feel smart in the way they look for you and try to counter you, though at times they are dumb as fuck too). But the full game gets dragging for multiple reasons, and became less and less interesting and fun over time.

And about the technical problems: when you play a preview build, you kind of take into account you play 'work in progress' and that bug squashing is the last part of the development process anyway. In Days Gone not all the problems disappeared sadly, but 2 months ago it could very well be that the full game would run smooth as butter;

Thanks for this post, Appreciate the response.

Yeah, I totally get the technical side of it. A lot of the smoothing out comes in the last few weeks. I just think he should have maybe not been as hyped and chilled a little. Like said, something like. I'm optimistic, there's some pretty bad technical issues that I hope will be ironed out and as long as there is a considerable more variation, we could havea hit on our hands.

Not too sure.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but Metal Gear Solid V was a sequel to an already established franchise, so you kind of knew what to expect gameplay-wise and narrative-wise. Death Stranding is a new IP and as such, we know nothing about it and strangely nothing narratively has been shown off and the game is supposed to be releasing soon?? There's a slight chance that this game could be Kojima's first major flop, but none of us will know that until the reviews hit or we play it ourselves.

Me personally, I love Hideo Kojima and all the games he make, so I will definitely be checking out Death Stranding - but I'm not excited or hyped for it because I know nothing about it other than it looks pretty and has celebrities in it. I will definitely wait for reviews and impressions to see if it's even something I would like to play.

If PT is an example of what Kojima can come up with outwith the constraints of Konami/"YOU MUST MAKE MGS SEQUEL #12!", I don't think there should be much to worry about.

MGS5 proved the man and his team needed away from being trapped doing life-long MGS. Do not forget the talent in Team Kojima just because of the head of it.

The budget, mo-cap, engine and talent going into Death Stranding is pretty overwhelming.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this post, Appreciate the response.

Yeah, I totally get the technical side of it. A lot of the smoothing out comes in the last few weeks. I just think he should have maybe not been as hyped and chilled a little. Like said, something like. I'm optimistic, there's some pretty bad technical issues that I hope will be ironed out and as long as there is a considerable more variation, we could havea hit on our hands.

Not too sure.
Tbh I didn't read his hands on nor his review, but I have to say I was more bumbed out with how Days Gone ended up after the 3 hour preview really suprised me (my expectations were low going into that one). So I can understand him being enthousiastic at first.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
That's quite disappointing for a Sony game... Well, they made us get used to 90+ games so it's all their fault :p

I was expecting low 80s because even previews were not super optimistic but I was expecting a solid game nevertheless. Low 70s makes me not want it, not because it doesn't seem fun, but because it is too long of a game (heard 30 hour? Is it true?). Still, I enjoyed The Order so this will be fine if I get on sale.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Me personally, I love Hideo Kojima and all the games he makes, so I will definitely be checking out Death Stranding - but I'm not excited or hyped for it because I know nothing about it; other than it looks pretty and has celebrities in it. I will definitely wait for reviews and impressions to see if it's even something I would like to play.
Kojima already said the gameplay will be similar to Uncharted 4 and The Division, we just know enough about the game to make it interesting and I hope it remains this way for the surprise factor but Sony probably won't do that as it needs marketing.

The game also isn't releasing soon btw, the recent Wired Sony article made it seem like it could be a crossgen game which would be over a year away.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
If PT is an example of what Kojima can come up with outwith the constraints of Konami/"YOU MUST MAKE MGS SEQUEL #12!", I don't think there should be much to worry about.

MGS5 proved the man and his team needed away from being trapped doing life-long MGS. Do not forget the talent in Team Kojima just because of the head of it.

The budget, mo-cap, engine and talent going into Death Stranding is pretty overwhelming.
Kojima had enough clout to make whatever he wanted at Konami.

What broke the camel's back was his insistence on gobbling up bigger and bigger budgets for singular games that took years to develop and deprive the rest of the video game division of resources. Kojima effectively reduced Konami to a blockbuster-or-bust game studio when their output used to be a lot more varied.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wildlands, Dying Light and Mad Max are fun but not some self evident counter that 7s are good games. Dying Light's the only one I would call flat out good.

Mad Max in particular is like 1/3rd of a good game that is crazy repetitive, gets way too easy way too fast, and negates it's survival mechanics fairly quickly. The hand to hand stuff was mostly a more boring Batman + with even shittier boss fights.

Oct 27, 2017
It's getting mostly good reviews. Most are above 75...

Yeah, it's just the mediocre-rated reviews are on the real low end score-wise.

The next week or so is going to be really interesting (I'm going to pick this game up). I'm really curious to see how much "game" (emergent, multiple mission solutions, playstyles, etc.) will come from more players' play times.

This isn't a criticism of game reviewing per se, but reviewers do have to get through a portion of the game in time, and may or may not be able to (or even want to, based on all the long-time pre-review complaints of "generic" and "zombie game, really?" type comments) lean into everything a game may have to offer.

But the game may also not lead them to do so, either - I remember playing NFS: Most Wanted and got 4 or 5 cars in a row that were really different, but were all configured with the exact same race list - it left a big negative impression on me, and I got tired of playing for a while - and this is for what is otherwise a good game. Had I run into a different set of cars, I could have gotten a much wider spectrum of races to play during that time, and it would have affected my opinion for sure. But nothing in the game told me ahead of time that a real sufficient variety of races would be available.

If Days Gone left all these reviewers behind in such a fashion, that's a shame - but it could happen to Greg or others just as easily as it happened to me with NFS: Most Wanted.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Pretty sure nobody cares that it's a sex joke. It's just really lame and unfunny.

Saying "but it's part of biker culture!" doesn't lessen that; a lot of things from biker culture are still stuck in the 90s. But she'll be here all week! Try the veal. Badum bum!

The character was described as white trash for behaving that particular way and then after several posters chimed in with the church aspect. That's not criticizing the corny writing, which yeah, it totally is corny.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I have the feeling i am gonna really like this because most people HZD and i found it aside from the main story sort of meh but usually when people are sour on something i really like it (Left alive , DNF etc.)