• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
Apparently that shitty line is something Bikers do at weddings (biker weddings) fairly often. Apparently it was a Son's of Anarchy thing too...

I'm not into or knowledgeable about biker culture so meh

But that's the reason it's in the game. It's a thing that is said

La Fawn Duh

Apr 3, 2018

tenor.gif

How does one go from

"Days Gone is a hell of a game. Sam Witwer and Courtnee Draper are great, the combat is fun, but the real hero is the world. It's fascinating to explore, littered with cool moments, and beautiful. You never know what's next."

to

"It's not a rewarding or particularly fun video game."

thats a great question i cant figure out aswell. Wtf haha

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC

tenor.gif

How does one go from

"Days Gone is a hell of a game. Sam Witwer and Courtnee Draper are great, the combat is fun, but the real hero is the world. It's fascinating to explore, littered with cool moments, and beautiful. You never know what's next."

to

"It's not a rewarding or particularly fun video game."

A curated single section of a game that might have been just a hour versus the 30-40 experience could be wildly different. There are tons of games I'd love in a short burst that couldn't sustain themselves for many hours.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Context for the line does not mean it is is good. Like, biker culture is stupid in general, and I doubt they for instance, instilled a lot of its racism into Deacon's character.

Like, this scene in Meet Joe Black makes sense on paper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnBupO_Kjto

Pitt is playing the personification of death and him adopting the languge and culture of people on death's door to comfort them makes a lot of sense.
But it doesn't mean Brad Pitt saying everting gwarn be iree any less stupid.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I was curious to see how this game would fare reviews wise. I was never into it regardless as it is not my style of game.

I wonder how it will sell. It seemed popular when trailers would hit. Plus look at this thread.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
A curated single section of a game that might have been just a hour versus the 30-40 experience could be wildly different. There are tons of games I'd love in a short burst that couldn't sustain themselves for many hours.
As somebody in his position, he should be more circumspect, then he wouldn't look like a fool now.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently that shitty line is something Bikers do at weddings (biker weddings) fairly often. Apparently it was a Son's of Anarchy thing too...

I'm not into or knowledgeable about biker culture so meh

But that's the reason it's in the game. It's a thing that is said
I mean, it's alsoa thing that ISN'T said. These are written, fictional characters, nobody holds a gun to someones head and forces them to write dialogue like that.

It's not that unlike the famous words and deeds stuff: Yeah, you can arbitrarily give any reason you want for something like it to exist, but there's no reason it had to exist in the first place.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This is a clear example of why reviews just dont work well for games in the current implementation of how we do them. Reviewers have to rush through these huge games and not get the whole experience and then put a quick number on that when in reality most gamers wont experience it that way. And more often than not these days reviewers aren't very objective and insert their own bias and opinions Into it. Games actually really solid so far and I'm really enjoying it. Dont find many of the reviews to reflect what I'm seeing at all.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Wow @ people obsessing over one line out of context.
Losers fuel the hate however they can.
Yeah they should just focus on the writing as a whole that's much worse and throughout the entire game.

I don't think the line is that bad since it's portraying white trash as white trash, but it's still funny for that reaso .

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Jesus Christ. You are cool, man. And thanks to be so honest about your work. And I appreciate that other outlets do their take. Maybe is my language barrier. I'm not and English native speaker and of course my customs and culture influence my readings. If you are willing to participate in the discord and view another points, I don't see why I can't make the same thing and give it another POV on Waypoint's stand about what videogames mean.

giphy.gif

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I can't possibly imagine a context in which that line sounds good but ok?
she is making a joke, a reviewer said that in the ot, there is a flashaback that explain the all scene.
also, that line is pretty common in the all biker charter wedding imaginery, is not something invented for the game but an actual line from this type of media\imaginery.

(sorry for my english)

i'm not saying that the writing is out of this world or even good, i don't possess the game yet, but people are moking this scene without context.

like another member said, it's the tidus laugh scene all over again.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
As somebody in his position, he should be more circumspect, then he wouldn't look like a fool now.
They look like a fool by having a different experience with the complete game than they did at a press event?

The only 'fool' in this scenario would be those that can't see why those two experiences could be wildly different.

Maybe not putting so much stock in press preview events is the lesson to be learned here.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
sounds like its a bit ordinary but enough fun as a cheap filler before TLOU 2, but I'll still give it a spin in a few months when it's super cheap. Doesn't feel like it really warrants a full price purchase from me.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
This is scoring about where I thought it would, but some of these issues (slave trading? excuse me?) are really making it hard for me to consider playing it at all now.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hmm looks like i'll be cancelling my pre order. game looked interesting to me when they showed it off but i'm not liking these reviews. i'll probably wait for a black friday sale.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looked generic from the start - and behold. It IS generic - surprising noone

Felt like such a weird concept for Sony to invest big in. They have put their money on great titles these last years. This felt out of place in the Sony library. Worst scoring Sony title since the order 1886?

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Thankfully I couldn't disagree with Klepek more, on well.....pretty much everything. So if he despises this game, that's my cue to try it out.

Good luck! I hope you had more fun with it than I did. One pointer: You can just avoid most of the collectible stuff. You'll see a bunch of it listed on the map in the corner, but just focus on the main objectives, imo. (Sometimes, frustratingly, you literally have to just drive around in the bike waiting for some radio chatter to open up a new story mission. I would get like...3 or 4 back to back sometimes??) The more you can push the story along (which is the strongest part, even if I didn't like a lot of it), the less you'll get dragged down by the parts that *really* don't work, like the mostly empty world.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not putting so much stock in press preview events is the lesson to be learned here.

I don't think people generally do. But this guy has been around the block, he isn't some rookie. He should know better too.

Specifically about this game, many people already did, without even touching a vertical press preview.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, 'its a biker culture thing!' doesn't make that any better.

Yeah, like I said earlier: if it's just a lame thing everybody says knowing that it's a lame in-joke, the delivery should be totally different.

So either it's bad writing or bad directing. Maybe a little of column A and column B.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Looks like this game met my expectations.

I don't really find much interest in the Sons of Anarchy or zombie-type stuff. Hell I love RDR and never even played Undead Nightmare even though i had the GotY version

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
i will say something, previews are bullshit. I mean Greg Miller going from all that to that tweet is a slap in the face to anyone who may pre order the game based off their overhyped preview bollox.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
That wedding line is shitty and corny no matter the context. Referencing trashy biker weddings and Sons of Anarchy doesn't change that.

We are not holding SoA up to some pinnacle of writing to make it less dumb.

It's their game and they could have created any environment and characters they wanted and they chose derivative trash.

Lots of "biker culture" experts all of a sudden. I don't think anyone is arguing that it doesn't fit, but the problem is that it does.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Good luck! I hope you had more fun with it than I did. One pointer: You can just avoid most of the collectible stuff. You'll see a bunch of it listed on the map in the corner, but just focus on the main objectives, imo. (Sometimes, frustratingly, you literally have to just drive around in the bike waiting for some radio chatter to open up a new story mission. I would get like...3 or 4 back to back sometimes??) The more you can push the story along (which is the strongest part, even if I didn't like a lot of it), the less you'll get dragged down by the parts that *really* don't work, like the mostly empty world.
How frequently do big hordes show up?

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Yeah they should just focus on the writing as a whole that's much worse and throughout the entire game.

I don't think the line is that bad since it's portraying white trash as white trash, but it's still funny for that reaso .
Wow yo. The racism in this is insane. Just because she made a risque remark about sex and motorcycles she's white trash. Not even taking into account that most biker wedding have that same line in some way. Bikers of ANY color btw.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I must be crazy because I have no problem with that line. Apparently she says this to troll the priest/make him uncomfortable, which makes it even better.

Some people need to lighten up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is a clear example of why reviews just dont work well for games in the current implementation of how we do them. Reviewers have to rush through these huge games and not get the whole experience and then put a quick number on that when in reality most gamers wont experience it that way. And more often than not these days reviewers aren't very subjective and insert their own bias and opinions Into it. Games actually really solid so far and I'm really enjoying it. Dont find many of the reviews to reflect what I'm seeing at all.
Reviewers are not very subjective but they insert their own biases and opinions on a game? Sounds like a contradiction lol

Nov 8, 2017
Well seems like my Crackdown 3 comparison is somewhat validated.
Again I love CD3 so this is NOT a criticism.
I 100% believe that this will be a fun game and people will enjoy the hell out of killing freaker hordes, but it does little new and is not as polished as other Sony exclusives.
Sadly many reviewers nowaday don't solely look at the fun factor but consider a lot of non-gaming factors like market hype and general expectations. And games like CD3 or Days Gone are the victim of being "outdated" or "generic" on paper.