• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow. I was expecting low to mid 80's. Hopefully bend studio gets another chance.
Do they deserve it, though? I know they canceled some projects after Golden Abyss, but nonetheless, it was an 8 year period between the two games. It's a lot of time, especially to release a game that clearly is way below the level of other AAA PS4-exclusive games.

I know they have a lot of talent there and this was their first big game, but I have doubts if Sony will be willing to give another chance.

Hickem

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Funny how people only say this when an game gets less than positive scores.

Are you seriously implying that people can't dislike this game's writing/story?
No. I'm implying that some reviewers didn't even reached half of the main quest to write that Deacon is a "selfish bastard". It's ok not to like the game and i think that it's normal :D

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, there was just a thread a few days ago claiming an "ERA bubble" and people supposedly out to get this game. Then it turns out that it's actually not very good, like all these people had been mentioning all along while being shouted down as trolls or not "getting biker culture".

I can see how being, presumably, correct is a bit vindicating.
Yeah there needs to be none of that. It's all so childish.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it had been at the two previous E3s? It got a gameplay demo and a new trailer last year at E3. Given how lambasted their show was on places here, showing Days Gone yet again on stage would have been met with eye rolls. There was nothing 'conspicuous' about it. It has not been hidden. It's not debatable unless you want to ignore reality.
They didn't say it was hidden, they said it was not shown as part of the e3 2018 song presentation, which it wasn't.

I highly doubt Sony thought "wow, people are going to think our show is light on games, better not make it worse by including days gone." That doesn't make any sense.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Have some decency, a lot of people poured their heart and soul into this project, it's unfortunate for them that it appears the game is not the critical hit they hoped it would be.

I had a gut feeling the game wouldn't be received well in addition to not really wanting to buy it myself to begin with...that doesn't mean there's something worthy of celebration when a game fails to reach critical/commercial targets (other than when said failure is due to say abhorrent, anti consumer practices by the people behind the game).

Oct 25, 2017
Really wide range of scores, seems like a game I'll pick up on sale or maybe wait to be on PS+ eventually. The Mad Max game from a few years ago seems like a good comparison I enjoyed my time with that one.

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
Yea, about what I predicted from the gameplay and story bits that I've seen so far. Didn't feel groundbreaking or anything above average at all. Seemed super generic.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I didn't watch the show but i assume that it would still be talked about considering how popular it was at the time.
I feel like any time a game takes heavy inspiration and reference from a specific television show that they're at risk of those references either falling flat or becoming dated almost immediately.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Hope the studio is still treated well after this.

Just because a game didn't come together doesn't mean people didn't put in hard work.
It's a 7. It did come together. Not GOW tier, but still good. Sales will be very good, so Bend Studio is good. Check the OT by the way. This thread here went over the hill long ago.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
People still overreacting to the line from the wedding even after someone showed it is a line from SOA and likely a common phrase used by bikers...

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
It's worth hearing it for yourself.

Yeah the delivery only makes it worse, and I don't blame the actress, because she does seem to be nailing an intent, it's just weird. Like even the SoA scene someone linked where people say the same thing, they say it like it's the most obvious and played out lame joke you could make -- which it is. They might as well have the best man's speech include, "Take my wife - please!"

Somehow the delivery here is kind of flirtatious, like this is a really good come on, like it's a real sweet moment between them. It's so much worse that way.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Bend's a great studio but this was always a generic, boring sounding idea. It was greenlit in an era where The Last of Us and Walking Dead were massive successes and zombies essentially ruled the world and now everyone's tired of it and this was a remnant of an era of days gone by.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
People think this game is going to tank now because of mixed reviews? I feel like this is a mortal lock to sell 2-3 million copies. A lot of the people this is going to appeal to and are going to see ads for it aren't remotely aware or interested in a game's meteoritic score.

And even then, I'm aware of the MC score, doesn't stop from buying day one.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that necessarily qualifies as bad writing, but yes you can put something down whenever you like because you don't like what's happening with the character.

I put down Max Payne 3 for similar reasons, but I was pretty far into the story and invested until that point. It was a turn of narrative that I didn't really expect or appreciate...but if people are expecting character growth, they should let and see how that character grows.

I guess I struggle to understand why that wouldn't be called bad writing. If you're writing someone people generally find uninteresting then that's bad to me, especially when it's not because (in this case) some crazy twist is being set up or something.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
There are tons of reviews here already, but, hey, one more: my take after I sighed and stopped 10 hours in. We opted to publish my thoughts as "impressions," not a review, owing to my incomplete playthrough (essentially a Wot I Think-level writeup).

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...motorcycle-times-hampered-by-everything-else/

Sony's streak of must-play, open-world video games does not necessarily come to a grinding halt with this week's new PS4 exclusive Days Gone. But it's absolutely a tougher elevator pitch than the likes of Spider-Man, God of War, and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Each of those Sony exclusives has some game-changing gem I can use to insist that they're worth investing in for dozens of hours—that sort of unmistakable highlight to finish the sentence "polished open-world adventure and," including massive-city web-slinging, polished story, and robo-dino safaris, respectively. The special sauce in Days Gone, which arrives with the baggage of "yet another zombie game" as a loud descriptor, is a lot tougher to extract. It's there, but it's mild.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
They didn't say it was hidden, they said it was not shown as part of the e3 2018 song presentation, which it wasn't.

I highly doubt Sony thought "wow, people are going to think our show is light on games, better not make it worse by including days gone." That doesn't make any sense.
If E3 is only press conferences they'd be right. What good would it do showing another gameplay demo of a game that was a complete known quantity when they had 4 really huge first party IP to show instead? They showcased the game multiple times at E3 before and then had game preview and a new trailer last year they just didn't feel like it belonged in a show that was structured around gameplay reveals of 3 games and highlighting another that was releasing that calendar year.

Again, people can try to be revisionist and say Sony hid a 70s MC game but that isn't true no matter how much you may want it to be.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Hope the studio is still treated well after this.

Just because a game didn't come together doesn't mean people didn't put in hard work.

This game will likely still do really well for them, it's open world, it's got zombies and motorcycles, and it looks on par with some of the best looking PS4 exclusives graphically.

I wouldn't worry too much about Bend.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Sony were pushing this game so hard too. Oh well at least now this game is out we will get to see the far more interesting other first party games at some point....right?

Looked mediocre from day 1 to me.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
My biggest take away from reading and watching reviews, is the world feels dead (no pun intended). With little interaction with objects, water ect. it's like there's a very strict set of rules the devs allow the player to actually play around with. I've decided not to get it day 1, but I still might down the road.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
A little disappointed, but not surprised because I had seen less than stellar impressions of it in the past.

Would like to throw out the outlier reviews......have a hard time believing the 9/10s from PlayStation-centered sites or that it is as bad as 1.5/5. The reviews that bother me though when considering the game are the 6s and 6.5s from some trusted/notable sites and publications. And I've already got some open-world fatigue....and that's from really good open world games.

Probably will have to pass on this because my backlog is too much even when it goes on sale.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
A line of dialogue can be both narratively consistent and simultaneously lame as hell.
One thing that's been consistent among reviews is that the script is pretty weak, (but the actors put some work in), and that it takes itself incredibly seriously. A bad move, one of the reason TLOU resonated with a lot of people is that for such a bleak game it had a character like Ellie who was written competently enough to warrant a couple genuine laughs during cinematics and gameplay.