• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
I mean there's a pretty explicit difference between a channel dedicated to unlocking trophies and professional game reviews sooooo...

Usually trophy hunters see most if not all of the game. Because, you know, trophies require that. While reviewers blast through a game to get a review out fast. Soooo.......

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Then explain how Dying Light(74), Ghost Recon Wildlands(69), Mad Max(69),..etc. are great games.
I haven't played the other two but Dying Lights distinct features were implemented really well. It was mostly bogged down by poor story and repetitive missions just like Days Gone but parkour and co-op were its high points which made moment to moment gameplay really fun. From some reviews I read Days Gone still seems to be missing a unique hook that can elevate the experience. I have to look hard for it which wasn't the case with Dying Light.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
These review threads bring out the worst which is a shame. I personally don't have a PS4 but the game looks fun.

I don't understand why people get a kick out of a game reviewing badly on a rival system.

I was in 100% agreement with you until the bolded part. You assume people bitching are owners of rival systems, bringing in the "console wars" bullshit into the thread. If you would of left it at the reviewing badly your point would of been valid. Some f the people posting concerns about the game are people I know that are PS4 only owners that were looking forward to the game and feel a bit disappointed in some of the reviews and issues being brought up. Assuming that negative comments are "rival system" owners trashing the thread is just adding fuel to the flames.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Oh nooo. I was kind of confident it'd get ~85. It seemed like a underestimated title that could really be a stand-out hit.

Is this like, the game is actually a mediocre experience or its more like, the story is so bad that Reviewers hit it harder because of that? Is the core gameplay loop interesting? (Going to watch EZA review now)

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kudos to Sony with their commitment to new IPs.

I thought this would've reviewed better but hopefully it's a good learning experience for Bend.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
Why does this scene need to be justified? Just asking out of general honest curiosity

I read somewhere that it's calling back to a joke between them before the marriage. Maybe I misread it. Anyway, still not seeing how this is the most terrible thing ever. Like, the clip someone posted of S.O.A. Biker culture. So this fits.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
lmao Greg Miller cannot be taken seriously for game reviews anymore.
I'm not a huge follower of KF, but honestly I've seen them on more of the 'influencer/talking head' side if the field than hard critique. It's hard to see them as impartial critical eyes when they regularly do sponsored events for publishers.

Not saying it's payola - more that they seem more interested in the hype cycle leading up to a game than the discourse following the release.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Oh nooo. I was kind of confident it'd get ~85. It seemed like a underestimated title that could really be a stand-out hit.

Is this like, the game is actually a mediocre experience or its more like, the story is so bad that Reviewers hit it harder because of that? Is the core gameplay loop interesting? (Going to watch EZA review now)
Kind of a combination of both.

Severe technical performance issues and a laughable story that wants to be taken seriously seem to be consistent themes across reviews.

midfalutin

Oct 25, 2017
I think I only like two of the characters and neither of them show up for HOURS but the voice acting in this game is at least really damn good.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
Nah, of course not. He's a master. Still, Days Gone is not pretending it's just a goofy time in zombie world—it's a game that WANTS to be taken seriously. If you open that door, I'm gonna walk through.

You know? It's cool this conversation. Now I get what you are saying. Every discord should be like this. And I'm grateful that you took the time to explain something that wasn't clear for me. I guess you are right in the sense that if the game wants to be the next horror narrative that want you to think about human condition and fails on that it deserved the critic. But for what I have seen, read, etc. The game is all except that. Previews can be tricky. I thought the developers knew that. And the wedding stuff was hilarious not deep.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

read/watch reviews. Shallow gameplay, very buggy/technical issues, terrible writing, fetch quests, etc.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Dont understand why gamespot reviews this and gives it a 5/10 and says the gameplay loop is repetitive when a game like AC Odyssey is pretty much the same but is a fantastic game too.

midfalutin

Oct 25, 2017
You know? It's cool this conversation. Now I get what you are saying. Every discord should be like this. And I'm grateful that you took the time to explain something that wasn't clear for me. I guess you are right in the sense that if the game wants to be the next horror narrative that want you to think about human condition and fails on that it deserved the critic. But for what I have seen, read, etc. The game is all except that. Previews can be tricky. I thought the developers knew that. And the wedding stuff was hilarious not deep.

There was a USG piece last month about the politics of the game, in an interview with the creative director:

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/days-gone-interview

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I'm surprised with the meta score, I was rooting for the team to turn it around. But honestly it was set up for failure from concept stage, because the topic is so overdone, and the standard from TLOU is so high. I hope they get to make more games, but next time make something really interesting, like Guerilla did with Horizon.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more surprised journos didn't just hand wave it an 80 for big budget open world shit. The game itself looked tired immediately, easily Sony's least appealing marquee title in recent years.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Dont understand why gamespot reviews this and gives it a 5/10 and says the gameplay loop is repetitive when a game like AC Isyssey is pretty much the same but is a fantastic game too.
Because it depends on many factors including gameplay mechanics, enemies, locations, weapons etc. Days Gone and AC Odyssey are not the same in how they play I suspect though superficially it might seem that way.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
That Klepek/waypoint review is embarrassingly hyperbolic and definitely skims over details, panders to his own narrative... just generally full of shit.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Dont understand why gamespot reviews this and gives it a 5/10 and says the gameplay loop is repetitive when a game like AC Odyssey is pretty much the same but is a fantastic game too.
Different reviewers

And for me personally Odyssey is a 9, while DG is a 6. I didn't encounter so many pointless fetch quests in Odyssey like I did in DG.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Can't wait. Game is preloaded and all patched up. Got to get up early tomorrow but will have to squeeze in an hour or so when it unlocks at midnight. I was way off with my guess, but despite the "low" reviews I'm hyped to play it.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game development is not easy. Hopefully the studio can bounce back from this.
They are doing pretty good. Bend Studio is bigger than ever now, they have a brandnew office and are ready for PS5 development. Like I already said man times, Days Gone is a 7/10 game now and it seems like it will sell a few millions. It's all good :)

Oct 27, 2017
People aren't familiar with motorcycle culture, but yet called this game "generic". Sometimes people really don't know everything going into a review.

I'd be disappointed to find out that the "mill moment", or something like it, didn't make it into the game. That was the initial premise/promise, followed by the missions with the multiple approaches. Are the just the objectives of the missions "generic", or are the ways to accomplish them rote and unchanging? How much emergent gameplay is there?

But I am even more disappointed to hear about the base PS4 issues. This would be a notable miss given how all the other Sony first-party games run on the base console.

As far as some of the other criticisms, even R* games have moments where you might travel across the map just to have a small scene, depending on the order you want to do certain things. Horizon and Spider-Man had some generic missions also, but those games had pretty good story through-lines and great characters. If Days Gone is really missing those after all, then it's going to be tough.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more surprised journos didn't just hand wave it an 80 for big budget open world shit. The game itself looked tired immediately, easily Sony's least appealing marquee title in recent years.
I said it as soon as it was unveiled, I have no idea why this game pitch was given the green light.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I expected around 80 but i dont buy games or watch movies based on scores. I already preloaded it and going to jump in at midnight

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Usually trophy hunters see most if not all of the game. Because, you know, trophies require that. While reviewers blast through a game to get a review out fast. Soooo.......
Correct. Common sense dictates that trophy hunters do indeed explore and see much more of the game than "professional reviewers." You don't have to explore everything to blast through the story, but you do have to put in extra work & exploration usually for trophy hunting. I know it because I hate it and don't do it unless it's a game I absolutely fucking adore.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
I was expecting mid-high 70s, but not too far off the mark. The game does look rough compared to other Sony titles so this wasn't very surprising. Doesn't mean you won't have fun with it though. I'll pick it up down the line

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Patrick Klepek's review is the first time I've heard anything about Deacon being a slave trader. Makes me wonder if race or racism is ever touched upon in this game.