• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Since when is a 7 average on a scale of 1 to 10? On that scale a 5 would technically be average. Back in school if you got a 7 that was considered a really good grade that you had to work really hard for and could be proud of. Everything above that was even better, of course. 5,5-6,5 would be considered average.

I think a 7+ is fine for a game like this and it's what I've always thought it would get. With all the positive previews in the past weeks I thought it might score higher so I voted for an 8+ in the poll. I still can't wait to pick up the game and play it though. Seems exactly like a game I could go for right now.

I personally use a full range like this (maling 5 an average), but realistically review sites NEVER do this. How often do you see games actually even get a 5, let alone a 2, 3, 4, etc. 7 ends up being on the low end of numbers that actually get used and going to a 5 usually means the game is pretty busted.

It's a super messed up system where the majority of the numbers aren't realistically used.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's not the first time nor the last that a game from Sony's first party studios gets a bad review. People are cra cra thinking this game with the previews, the delays, etc., was going to be another masterpiece.

Jesus Christ. Waypoint has become the moral compass of the video game industry? It's a video game, with zombies. They are asking too much of a video game script. The writers aren't Tolstói or Dostoyevski.
I don't mind somebody actually treating games as narrative products worthy of analysis.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Takeaways for me from the reviews:

1. There is no way in hell I want to spend 30+ hours with this protagonist
  2. I am already tired of hearing regular old zombies be called "freakers"
  3. I really like the diversity of the camp characters, not just ethnically but also age and body type too, like that fat older woman with the short grey hair.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I still appreciate and respect Sony Bend's efforts, and wish them the best of success. John Garvin's passion is genuine, and clearly evident at all times. He was one of the main reasons I was so excited for Days Gone: a man who truly believed in what he was making. This is not the end of Bend, far from it.
at the risk of sounding annoying at this point, MAKE A NEW SYPHON FILTER!

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ. Waypoint has become the moral compass of the video game industry? It's a video game, with zombies. They are asking too much of a video game script. The writers aren't Tolstói or Dostoyevski.
Consistancy isn't too much to ask in a game surely? Waypoints review for a lot of it paints a picture of an inconsistant chraracter in tone and actions that made it unenjoyable for the reviewer. I don't think at any point the review demanded the writing be among the greatest authors of all time....

Nov 18, 2017
Folks were skeptical of this game since the first time it was shown. The feeling I had was a very "why does this exist, and why isn't it a Last of Us game". Once an actual Last of Us sequel was confirmed, this just felt like "that other zombie game".

Still unsure how Sony WW let's stuff like this by, that not only looks so similar to their own games, but to other major 3rd party games as well.

I bet they didn't cheap out on this either.

I've been a big fan of Sony first party for a while, but damn, do they all have to be open world games starring some person who can't stop talking to themselves outloud?

As a PlayStation fan, these reviews disappoint me.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

The pitch seems to have been: The Walking Dead is popular, Daryl is popular, zombie games haven't done running swarms. Mix TLOU with Sons of Anarchy. And those ideas were mixed into a formulaic open world structure. The protagonist looks like the Gears of War guy. Just not appealing to me tbh, but that's not knocking the dev team, and the reviews aren't terrible, I'm sure there's entertainment to be had. But conceptually it's a misfire for me.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn, these are some depressing reviews. RIP Bend Studio, I'll be surprised if Sony greenlights a sequel to the game or lets them start another IP that may or may not be out in 2025.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Since when is a 7 average on a scale of 1 to 10? On that scale a 5 would technically be average. Back in school if you got a 7 that was considered a really good grade that you had to work really hard for and could be proud of. Everything above that was even better, of course. 5,5-6,5 would be considered average.

I think a 7+ is fine for a game like this and it's what I've always thought it would get. With all the positive previews in the past weeks I thought it might score higher so I voted for an 8+ in the poll. I still can't wait to pick up the game and play it though. Seems exactly like a game I could go for right now.

Maybe you should look up the definition of average, then look at the score distribution on opencritic. The average of the score distribution is around 7/10.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

He did actually say that though, he said the technical issues depending on how much they bother you will push this into deep sale territory. From most reviews that took the time to actually outline the negative aspects of the game it seems most are tied up as technical issues that took them out of the game. If these can be fixed (and they should) I could see them having a more favorable opinion of the game.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Well this is disappointing. So much for that hope they had of Days Gone becoming a new franchise...

If that review average gets any lower, it will be lucky to break even.

I feel very sad for Bend Studios right now. I know that they worked very hard and put a lot of time and effort into this game. Hopefully they can iron-out and patch most, if not all of the bugs and glitches soon.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have it pre-ordered but I'll wait for an additional patch or two before diving in.

Aldebaran

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days) - trolling with inflammatory drive-by posts + previous warnings for similar behaviour + account in junior phase
5 years of development for this piece of shit. Goddamn, the devs should be ashamed of themselves.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well this is disappointing. So much for Days Gone turning into a new franchise from Bend Studios for Sony.

If that review average gets any lower, it will be lucky to break even.

I feel very sad for Bend studios right now. I know that they worked very hard and put a lot of time and effort into this game. Hopefully they can iron-out and patch most, if not all of the bugs and glitches soon.
From what we heard from Benji and others, it's looking really good. My guess is 5 million copies sold. lol of course it's gonns break even. And with a average score of 7/10, it's look good so far.
Probably after huge huge discounts. I got detroit become human for 10 dollars new around the holidays.
It will sell a few millions before imo ;) But they, if you want cheap games for around $10 to $20, you should always wait for Black Friday or Christmas :)

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Bummer the sentiments of the reviews and how little some people felt they got out of it given it's Sony Bend, but I do hope to try it myself soon!

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
The formula these devs are using is so damn stale. Add to that the character looks abysmal and has a ridiculous name. I'd rather play Dead Island.

I was way too overhyped for what Bend was making.

For those who haven't play one of these games in a good while, it does look like something that could entertain and fill the void until the next big release at least. They'll sell 4 million.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Disappointing year continues to disappoint.

I guessed VERY low 80's. Shows I should have had even less faith in this game than before and everything I thought about it was true.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
So a 7/10 game is a bad game now? I've played 6/10 games that I've liked. I've watched 6/10 movies that I've liked. Why don't people check this game out for themselves to form their own opinions?

Because I'm not dropping $60 day one on a game that's reported to be bad in order to form my own opinion. Maybe I'll do it in a year or two when it's on deep discount.

People who come into bad review threads championing not listening to reviewers and buying a game day one to "form their own opinion" are people who have already formed an opinion based on marketing material.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
It's not the first time nor the last that a game from Sony's first party studios gets a bad review. People are cra cra thinking this game with the previews, the delays, etc., was going to be another masterpiece.

no one is asking for literary masterpieces... but at least have something meaningful to say. I knew from the jump that this game's plot was going to be hollow.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
7 is ok. Everything is fine. Calm down. It is still a good game. Some flaws, mainly lacking some extra sparkling, but a good game nevertheless.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's much lower than I thought. I'll watch through all of the reviews and get to grips with the common issues with the game.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Resetera, a place where people don't realize that it's creators futures rely on a game being successful.
So we should, what, still rush out to support mediocre products? Besides, that doesn't really have anything to do with what I said initially. Criticizing a game doesn't mean you're taking personal swipes at the people who made it.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I personally use a full range like this (maling 5 an average), but realistically review sites NEVER do this. How often do you see games actually even get a 5, let alone a 2, 3, 4, etc. 7 ends up being on the low end of numbers that actually get used and going to a 5 usually means the game is pretty busted.

It's a super messed up system where the majority of the numbers aren't realistically used.
I'm a reviewer myself and I rate on a scale of 1-10. Have been doing this for ~10 years now. I'd rather have no rating though, but that's what the publications I write for force on me. I've scored games below a 5 multiple times before, but usually only bad VR games or obscure Japanese Vita titles that are just a boring, broken slog to play through. A game like Days Gone is not comparable with games like that, even if it's repetitive and has technical issues (that are apparently already patched out for a big part).

Maybe you should look up the definition of average, then look at the score distribution on opencritic. The average of the score distribution is around 7/10.
I know what average means. But on a scale of 1 to 10 a 5,5 would literally be average. A 7 would be well above average. In the score distribution on Opencritic, a 72 currently is 'the' average, yeah. But that doesn't mean it's average on a scale of 1 to 10. On that scale it would be good. An 8 would be great etc.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Still a good score, I'll probably get it down the line.

Considering Bend's track record, that score isn't a shock. The previews looked alright but I don't know why people were expecting 90+ on meta.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago

lol k

Night of the Living dead is the OG of the zombie genre, and it's both entertaining as hell and political as hell. The genre's foundations are in this.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Another thing that worries me is that several of the reviews mentioned that the narrative goes nowhere, which is deeply disturbing as it makes it sound like the game just kind of cliffhangers at the end just to tease a sequel - which, judging by the reviews, we most likely will not ever see a sequel.