• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like another Ghost Recon Wildlands.
Fun for folks that are into that kind of gameplay but a pass for most. Both scored in the 70s.
By the end of Ghost Recon Wildlands I wanted to end so badly. I've never been so bored of a game by the end before. The world was souless, with no reaction or dynamic nature to it from your actions. Calling it like that from what we are hearing seems apt.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some savage scores for sure, now, where's Syphon FIlter?
It'll be made by another studio once Shu closes Sony Bend

Kidding, this game will sell well and they'll make back their budget. If they were smart they'd take the horde mechanic and apply it to another game/IP - hopefully one with multiplayer/co-op

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
The best part of this is vindication for Dan Ryckert and Giant Bomb. All the fanboys of this game were shitting on him and his impressions, dismissing him as the "only one who didn't like the game, and couldn't even articulate why".

Turns out he, like so many other times at Giant Bomb, was just one of the few who were willing to call it like they see it.
So 8 out of 10 is good and 7 out of 10 is dismissible "crap"?

Dan was being hyperbolic.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Fun for folks that are into that kind of gameplay but a pass for most. Both scored in the 70s.

I would like to imagine that Wildlands is a better game than Days Gone considering it's design flow? That you don't HAVE to follow the game's main story route and just, head straight for the boss to kick his ass?

I hope well for the Bend guys.

I gotta say, this type of game doesn't really interest me at all, and generally these types of games are always criticized heavily in reviews. I would have wished they went for a more distinctive type of game like a Resistance spiritual successor.

distinctive video game

another shooter

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Are people talking about this in other reviews?

It would be pretty crazy to see the hordes being such a minor element of the game, considering how hard it was sold by its marketing campaign and reveal.

By Waypoint's Article.

dy6V13T.png

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Bend gets another shot at this. They got the formula down so a sequel could be really great. Hope it sells well.
Ghost of Tsushima is next and they(Sucker punch) are doubly fucked as Sekiro is already out.
Yeah sure I enjoyed the Kurosawa style cinematics or the horse riding in Sekiro.

Oh wait...

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
...then...

I still don't really understand why people call Horizon ZD as a turnaround story when Guerilla is known to make successful games before it?!?!?!?!?!?!?
HZD is just on a different level of success, over 10m for a new I.P is just insanely huge, but it's not GG's first, just by far their biggest.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because I voted for the 70-79 metacritic score in the poll but I was actually expecting it to land somewhere in the low 80s. It sounds like this game is kind of what everyone expected: it's a game with cool ideas/moments but overall it's aggressively mediocre (at best). It's by no means a terrible game but just very "meh".

I have no interest in playing this game but honestly I kind of hope they get the chance to make a sequel as it sounds like this game could be a good foundation for a future game.
It's just funny because this was one game where I got into some pretty genuine debates with folks who swore this was going to be a winner, and it got to the point where I kept doing double takes and thinking to myself "seriously now, are we looking at the same game? Am I taking crazy pills?".

I feel like anyone should have seen this coming from a mile away, at no point did the game ever exude that "something special" to put it ahead of the pack. I tried my best to give it the benefit of the doubt, because I don't actively want any game to fail, but I had no idea what the fans of this game were seeing that I wasn't.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's a good game. And that, yes, makes me happy :)

Well I'm glad you are happy and I hope you enjoy the game but "It's a good game" is not a factual statement. Especially when there is enough evidence to disprove that. For a first party AAA game it's average at best imo as we expect higher quality from first party studios.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
It's an enthusiast forum. I'd rather see people excited about something than be constantly negative. I never thought days gone looked that great, but I've had so so games that excite the shit out of me just the same as anyone else.

Your right. It is good to see people excited for games but at the same time people do get a bit carried away at times. Sony have fucking NAILED it this gen with their exclusive games being pretty much unmatched but at the same time I don't think we need a new thread to tell us Days gone has snow.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't see I didn't see that coming. People expecting >80 surprise me.

"Born to be mild" title of IGN review was like I saw the game since the beginning

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wrote the Slant review and didn't go into a lot of the story stuff both for space reasons and perhaps being overly cautious re: spoilers, but the thing about the slaves is....yeah.

The game tries to obfuscate some of the bad things Deacon does (or did in the past) so they're not TECHNICALLY slaves so much as people in a "work camp" or whatever and Deacon somehow acts confused about all this, and I can see some folks trying to defend it on those grounds, but...those are slaves, man.

I'm not that interested in the game but this peaked my interest. It is set in a post-apocolyptical world and I wonder how many people would protect the vulnerable from being exploited under those conditions. For example in Austin's review, I wouldn't correlate a code of not shooting someone dead to protecting them from working in a forced labour camp when we all live with zombies outside the gates.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe some people are using the word "massacred". lol. It's a 72 on Metacritic!

Dying Light is a 74 on Metacritic and it's one of my favorite games this generation.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best part of this is vindication for Dan Ryckert and Giant Bomb. All the fanboys of this game were shitting on him and his impressions, dismissing him as the "only one who didn't like the game, and couldn't even articulate why".

Turns out he, like so many other times at Giant Bomb, was just one of the few who were willing to call it like they see it.

Dan doesn't need vindication, I doubt he cares. He's a guy who records himself farting in his sleep 😂

Oct 27, 2017

The he narrative around that game here still baffles me. It was a good game, and was successful: Wildlands sold 4 million units in its first 6 months. I don't see how that's categorized as a pass for most, and I'm willing to bet with the heavy marketing Sony has been doing, as well as their general track record even mediocre reviews are not going to stop this from being a successful sales hit.

I'm a bit surprised by the trend towards the middle as far as the reviews go, but I'm still looking forward to playing it on Friday. There's no way it can be more disappointing or bad than Just Cause 4

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I wrote the Slant review and didn't go into a lot of the story stuff both for space reasons and perhaps being overly cautious re: spoilers, but the thing about the slaves is....yeah.

The game tries to obfuscate some of the bad things Deacon does (or did in the past) so they're not TECHNICALLY slaves so much as people in a "work camp" or whatever and Deacon somehow acts confused about all this, and I can see some folks trying to defend it on those grounds, but...those are slaves, man.

Gotta say, that seems like a huuuge misstep to just ignore during a review :o

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
There are some crazy overreactions in this thread. The game's entertaining; it never, ever looked like some Game of the Year winning magnum opus. It's exactly what the Metacritic of 71 suggests it is: good, honest open world entertainment.

Like I wrote in my review, it's gaming comfort food: unremarkable but enjoyable all the same.

Oct 25, 2017

Not defending it and I obviously haven't played the game so I don't know exactly how the concept is being conveyed, but isn't slave trade a fairly common theme in post apocalyptic stories? Mad Max and Fallout are two series that immediately come to mind.

Anyway, this game is looking like a big letdown. I had pre-ordered it years ago for $40 and I'm still debating cancelling.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
These scores have me shocked. If you go back far enough in my post history I legitimately believed this game was going to be a huge hit (85-90s score) and was surprised everyone was so down on it.

Looks like I wasn't seeing what everyone else was.

Hopefully the sales are decent enough to warrant a sequel.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is basically the Silence from Doctor Who, I completely forget it exists when I'm not actively looking at it. One of the most forgettable, generic-looking AAA games I've seen in years and I'm shocked it's from a major Sony studio.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to imagine that Wildlands is a better game than Days Gone considering it's design flow? That you don't HAVE to follow the game's main story route and just, head straight for the boss to kick his ass?

distinctive video game

another shooter

A Resistance-type shooter, what other games that are like it on the market? Doom? Halo?

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
I guess most of us PlayStation fans just want to see another horizon-ZD turnaround story but alas, it was not to be.

Not saying days gone us a bad game by any means but if your development house is under the same umbrella with studios that produced uncharted, TLOU, god of war, horizon ZD among others, the contrast of quality in terms of output is much more noticeable.
So true. Unfortunately they couldn't make a more than average game out of this, even though Sony gave them the time and (i reckon) resources to do so.
Hopefully for them it still turns into a commercial success so Sony has a reason to keep them on. Otherwise I doubt Sony will give them another shot at such a big project.

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
As expected. I wanted to eat crow. I wanted to be wrong.

But this game never looked better than what was shown. I want Bend to be able to make up with sales for this game. I'll buy for support, but man... this direction looked wrong from the get-go.

Okay, not get-go, the first showing was impressive but every other showing post that has been surprisingly sub-par. I kept hoping they would somehow reel me in but I kept seeing a game that didn't look compelling at all.

Anyway, best of luck to Bend. I'll be buying my copy in a month or so. Busy with DMCV and Sekiro at the moment.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Man I'm surprised at the amount of people saying they'll wait to get this on sale in here.

..surely your time is worth enough not to be spending it on this.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This game looked really generic from the start, but a lot of the recent optimism made me think it might end up being pretty decent. I voted for the 70-79 score and thought it would be in the mid to high 70's. The game got really mixed reviews from the previews. 72 isn't a terrible score but really bad compared to other Sony games.

I guess gut impressions and years of thinking this game looked generic actually came to fruition.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the problem when people on this site run full fucking free PR campaigns for games and studios and let their hype get wildly out of control. We get the usual faces posting multiple upon multiple threads pulled from the official PlayStation site/blog with no thoughts of their own, just copy and pasted videos. We got a hype thread with people discussing the glowing previews. It happens all the time but it's overlooked because it's strangely the norm. It's no wonder people expect the world and then feel let down when a game just turns out to be average to good.

I'll be picking this up in a few months with a heavy discount no doubt. The horde mechanic looks great, sadly it seems like it's not used enough.

People post about what they are excited about, what a shocking revelation. People make hype threads for games they're buying, who cares. It's on us to parse out the articles and stuff posted here and make our decisions. I'm not faulting people for posting about things they like. That's just weird to me.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is the problem when people on this site run full fucking free PR campaigns for games and studios and let their hype get wildly out of control. We get the usual faces posting multiple upon multiple threads pulled from the official PlayStation site/blog with no thoughts of their own, just copy and pasted videos. We got a hype thread with people discussing the glowing previews. It happens all the time but it's overlooked because it's strangely the norm. It's no wonder people expect the world and then feel let down when a game just turns out to be average to good.

I'll be picking this up in a few months with a heavy discount no doubt. The horde mechanic looks great, sadly it seems like it's not used enough.

Tbh, that happens for all the platforms. There are literally posters who have entire post histories of posting mostly news threads, OT's etc related to a particular platform, that said, I don't necessarily mind it. This forum is so damn toxic and negative that sometimes the news or PR as you put it, helps balance things out somewhat.