• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Cool. I already have it on PS4 but I never played it. I now have a reason to download the digital copy from the PS Plus Collection.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Mo' clips (lord bless the PBR):

game looks phenomenal lol. But the screen space reflection is kinda showing its limits there. You can see that a lot of the nearby objects like vehicles or the petrol stations weren't reflected. I wonder if they can add in a limited ray tracing reflection to the puddles or water surface near the main character.

What is dynamic? What exactly is it doing?
Just means it'd drop the resolution from 4k occasionally (or maybe frequently lol) to keep the framerate at 60 I think.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a locked 4K 30 option? I actually dislike non standard definition more than unlocked frame rate.
It means that the game will prioritize keeping the game running at 60 FPS even if it has to lower the 4K resolution from 4K down to as an example 2K,1440p or even 1080p in order to keep that 60 FPS consistent.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
won't that cause some blurry mess? If it's fluctuating between those resolutions? I mean on my computer if I run something in a non native res it's blurry as hell..?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I'll definitely give this another shot at a more stable frame rate
won't that cause some blurry mess? If it's fluctuating between those resolutions? I mean on my computer if I run something in a non native res it's blurry as hell..?
I don't know why, but consoles seem much better at scaling upward than PCs are (DLSS games being the exception)

I'm sure I'll be dragged for that comment.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Seems more like they added a new mode. The Pro resolution mode was checkerboard 4K 30fps, this is dynamic 4K 60fps.

Honestly I would want to try the checkerboard mode at 60fps to see how much it improved.

Semms the same thing as GOT too and I presume all games which got updated recently have a thrid mode for PS5 only (like how PS4 pRO had special modes over PS4). So we can expect old games to be 4K/dynamic and 60 FPS.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Nah, the upscaling on consoles is pretty good. Almost no game ran at native 4K on PS4 Pro (most of them rendered natively at resolutions between 1080p and 1800p, often also temporally reconstructed from lower resolutions using checkerboard rendering) and most often managed to look stunning when on 4K displays. And tons of games use dynamic resolution nowadays.

Dynamic resolutions and reconstruction like DLSS or checkerboard rendering are very viable solutions for keeping games looking sharp.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Why is it that this can not hold native 4k or a locked 60? Or am i overestemating how powerfull the ps5 is. Or is this an indication of what we will see with most openworld games.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Why is it that this can not hold native 4k or a locked 60? Or am i overestemating how powerfull the ps5 is. Or is this an indication of what we will see with most openworld games.
they are just being conservative with what they promise. Even gears 5 has dynamic resolution AND drops below 60 on seriesx

Saberus

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver, BC
It may be at 4k 60fps 99% of the time, but they can't say it's locked, because someone will come along and sue them for false advertising, like they did in Killzone shadow fall. They will always say **Variable frame rate up 60 and Variable resolution up to 4K.**

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
they are just being conservative with what they promise. Even gears 5 has dynamic resolution AND drops below 60 on seriesx

It may be at 4k 60fps 99% of the time, but they can't say it's locked, because someone will come along and sue them for false advertising, like they did in Killzone shadow fall. They will always say **Variable frame rate up 60 and Variable resolution up to 4K.**

Oke understandable.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Possibly.

Dynamic resolution
Change resolution in which images are rendered depending on how long they take to render.
docs.unrealengine.com

Dynamic Resolution in Unreal Engine

A method of dynamically adjusting the screen percentage to improve performance in Unreal Engine.

Temporal upsampling
Resolve temporal anti aliasing to larger target image to get overall better image quality from smaller rendering resolutions.
docs.unrealengine.com

Screen Percentage with Temporal Upscale in Unreal Engine

An overview of using Screen Percentage with Temporal Upsampling in Unreal Engine.

Techniques together work very well as temporal upsampling hides resolution changes a bit.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
The list of PS4 games that warrant a second playthrough on PS5 keeps growing. Hopefully the cloud saves carry over so I can head straight to NG+ in this and Ghost of Tsushima

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
This is what Ryan was talking about with the 'fastest transition ever' thing, giving us these 4K 60fps patches for their recent big exclusives on PS5 is one way to do make people switch over fast.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
This is what Ryan was talking about with the 'fastest transition ever' thing, giving us these 4K 60fps patches for their recent big exclusives on PS5 is one way to do make people switch over fast.

I think it's more about exclusives really. 2020/2021 is incredible for PlayStation compared to 2013/2014.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
Honestly soo happy this is the case.
I played for about 5 hours on PS4 just before Ghost of Tsushima and just wished for better performance.

Glad to revisit!

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Days Gone and Onrush are my favorite games this generation. I'm glad that I don't care the review scores at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Good to see people are still underestimating how much grunt it takes to run AAA games with the level of fidelity we expect at 60fps consistently. The 4K60 dream won't last very long (let alone the 120hz one, lmao).

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
I think it's more about exclusives really. 2020/2021 is incredible for PlayStation compared to 2013/2014.

Yeh that's a more important part of it but I think all these things (UI and DualSense too) are super compelling as a total package for that 113m install base of PS4 owners.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
No! the tech now is good at masking the lower resolution to look crisp. Digital Foundry and others have teased this with their intent to look for a way to factor in or analyze Clarity. If you look at God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn or SpiderMan on PS4Pro, all 3 use dynamic resolution. You would have trouble finding the areas of the screen that are blurry, if you ask me. The games are astoundingly sharp.

I don't think dynamic 4k is an issue at all. It will give us better performance each time, not waste resources, and the image will still be sharp.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
This is not at all what DF says is happening in Gears 5. A Coalition developer told DF that a bug was introduced that is caused by the interaction between the streaming device and the changes Coalition made with their low latency optimization which is causing the occasional long frame (stutter) and they are working on an update to eliminate this.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
This is not at all what DF says is happening in Gears 5. A Coalition developer told DF that a bug was introduced that is caused by the interaction between the streaming device and the changes Coalition made with their low latency optimization which is causing the occasional long frame (stutter) and they are working on an update to eliminate this.
It drops below 60 in the hub area during gameplay.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
No! the tech now is good at masking the lower resolution to look crisp. Digital Foundry and others have teased this with their intent to look for a way to factor in or analyze Clarity. If you look at God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn or SpiderMan on PS4Pro, all 3 use dynamic resolution. You would have trouble finding the areas of the screen that are blurry, if you ask me. The games are astoundingly sharp.

I don't think dynamic 4k is an issue at all. It will give us better performance each time, not waste resources, and the image will still be sharp.

Spider-Man uses dynamic resolution plus temporal injection, but I'm pretty sure God of War and Horizon use straight checkerboard 4K.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
As a pc gamer I can admit Ive struggle with enjoying games on the ps4 because of 30fps. Days gone was one of these games I couldnt enjoy cause of 30fps. The fact it had gyro aiming was a pleasant surprise, though. Because of the 30fps I stop playing. I will continue once I get a ps5.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
It will be but Days Gone allows for some insane situations that even the strongest pc in the world would struggle to keep at 60 so of course ps5 will also drop lol.

But it's gonna be occasional.

I'm sure a dedicated sequel will perform better since optimized for ps5. But they have to say "up to 4k up to 60 fps" otherwise they're branded liars you know.

If it ever comes to PC then we shall see. Until then you are just making assumptions.