• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, this would actually make a huge difference and make the game a lot more enjoyable. Would be fun to fight the biggest hordes in the game at 60fps!

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Nice. This was a game I was considering playing on the PS+ collection. Given that it's getting an upgrade, I'll be much more likely to play it.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, since this is being patched, so that the frame rate can be unlocked to 60 fps, maybe there is still hope for Bloodborne???

Plum

May 31, 2018
Good fucking stuff

The 'smaller' Sony studios really putting in the work for this, damn. Days Gone looked amazing already so I'd honestly be perfectly fine with giving this a play.

Here's hoping Naughty Dog follows suit instead of going the way of Insomniac or Santa Monica.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Great news!! everyone should give this game a shot and it's free with PS Plus Collection

Bend deserves respect for the continuous support for DG

Last edited:

1er tigre

Oct 28, 2017
So ghost of tsushima, god of war and now days gone will have a ps5 patch, next TLOU part 2 ? Fingers crossed.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Hmm, since this is being patched, so that the frame rate can be unlocked to 60 fps, maybe there is still hope for Bloodborne???

In terms of big first-parties it's 2-for-2 when it comes to substantial non-paid updates.

Sucker Punch - 60fps update for Ghost of Tshushima
Bend Studios - 60fps 4K update for Days Gone

Sony Santa Monica - No improvements on God of War outside of Boost Mode
Insomniac - Paid Remaster without cross-save

So it's not any form of guarantee. Since it never even got a PS4 Pro patch, and came out ages ago now, I really wouldn't hold out any hope.

So ghost of tsushima, god of war and now days gone will have a ps5 patch, next TLOU part 2 ? Fingers crossed.

God of War isn't getting a PS5 patch: it's just getting the bare minimum improvements that come automatically with PS5's boost mode.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hah, I knew I was right to save my challenge mode and NG+ run for PS5. I mean, I was happy just to get the Pro enhancements with the PS5, but glad to see it'll be even better.

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of big first-parties it's 2-for-2 when it comes to substantial non-paid updates.

Sucker Punch - 60fps update for Ghost of Tshushima
Bend Studios - 60fps 4K update for Days Gone

Sony Santa Monica - No improvements on God of War outside of Boost Mode
Insomniac - Paid Remaster without cross-save

So it's not any form of guarantee. Since it never even got a PS4 Pro patch, and came out ages ago now, I really wouldn't hold out any hope.

Thanks for the insight. Wasn't aware that it's been 2 for 2 so far. Well, here's hoping! :)

xem

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if this is like Ghost of Tsushima, where it's using a special mode under backwards compatibility boost or is it a new PS5 version, I'm assuming the former considering it got a large update a few days ago.
Anyway it's on the ps plus collection so I'm definitely gonna play that.
ya, im wondering if this a PS5 game or just our PS4 game running in back compat with unlocked framerate and resolution

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Can't wait to hear those sweet atmospherics from the tempest engine:

Me: "I'll just discreetly sneak past this enormous horde of zombies."

Deacon: " ...ok, nice and quiet does i.....FUCK YOU COPE YOU PIECE OF SHIT!"

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Plum

May 31, 2018
ya, im wondering if this a PS5 game or just our PS4 game running in back compat with unlocked framerate and resolution

It's the latter. PS5 games are seperate SKUs that don't automatically transfer saves over from their PS4 counterparts. This is a patch for the PS4 version of the game that makes the same SKU run differently on PS5.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Up to and dynamic are disappointing words to see on a last gen update announcement, hopefully it's just for legal reasons as some say and the dynamic might be a way to leave the game ready for higher res in the distant future.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Nice to get more confirmation that this is a PS5 specific enhancement, which seemingly is free for all owners of the game. I do hope that 60 FPS target is stable during regular play as I'd be more than willing to have the Resolution be more dynamic to ensure a more stable experience.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Up to and dynamic are disappointing words to see on a last gen update announcement, hopefully it's just for legal reasons as some say and the dynamic might be a way to leave the game ready for higher res in the distant future.

It is just for legal reasons.

That and practically every game uses dynamic resolution nowadays. It's so prevalent that Digital Foundry has even begun describing fixed resolutions as 'typical' resolutions in case they're actually dynamic.

Oct 30, 2017
I suspect we will continue to see more of these announcements.

A lot of people said a few weeks ago, "If these games were getting improvements, they would be shouting from the rooftops by now"

And once again we continue to find out more improvements for old games.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
AWESOME!!! I will definitely boot this up and check out it runs. Maybe do another horde or two. Game was fantastic.

AJUK

May 28, 2019
Nice, I didn't realise this was part of the ps+ collection, definitely swaying me to keep my preorder. Also does anyone else think it's bad these ps+ games are only on ps5?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Very nice! On the console side, I think you really have to give credit to MS for making BC something that I think needs be a focus heading into a new generation, especially with how they've taken the time to enhance old games going back to the OG Xbox days. It's good to see this happening with the PS5. You not only have an instantly large library to play on your new hardware, but with game-specific patches/updates, you breathe new life into the old library as well and somewhat eliminate the need to keep old systems hooked up, not just getting better performance via brute force means.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Nice, I didn't realise this was part of the ps+ collection, definitely swaying me to keep my preorder. Also does anyone else think it's bad these ps+ games are only on ps5?
They've got a content gap to fill for PS+, they can't change the terms for PS4 and they aren't going to give you this on top.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'm not trying to downplay something I do not really understand, but is it really impressive they a new generation can run a last generation game at 4K/60fps, 4K being dynamic?
Those new consoles are advertised a being 4K/60fps/RT machines after all. Does the fact that 4k is dynamic on a last generation game indicates that sacrifices will have to be made more often than not for games targeting the upcoming generation?

Thugnificent

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Awesome! I had been meaning to get this game every time there was a sale until the PS+ collection was announced. Looking forward to play in 4K 60fps

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
I planned on finally playing this game since I will have it as part of the PS+ collection, so it's great to see it will get a 60fps update.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I never finished this game from when it originally came out, after the improvements they made and this I will for sure go back and complete it.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
I'm not trying to downplay something I do not really understand, but is it really impressive they a new generation can run a last generation game at 4K/60fps, 4K being dynamic?
Those new consoles are advertised a being 4K/60fps/RT machines after all. Does the fact that 4k is dynamic on a last generation game indicates that sacrifices will have to be made more often than not for games targeting the upcoming generation?

People need to understand and accept that dynamic 4k is going to be a thing all generation and there is NOTHING wrong with that. The less resources used for native 4k, the better.

Plum

May 31, 2018

It managing to run at 4K/60fps isn't impressive (and, as has been said, dynamic 4K and 'up to' 60fps don't really mean anything, it's just legalese); what people are celebrating is that Bend Studio has gone back and patched the game to be better than just the bare minimum through boost mode. It allows people to play this game in a much better light than, say, God of War which only runs at 1080p/60fps because that's what the PS4 version was capped at in Performance Mode.

And dynamic 4K especially doesn't mean much nowadays. 4K itself is a waste of resources and very few games actually use a fixed resolution now. It'll likely be 1440p in the absolute worst-case scenario, but will likely be at 4K or very close to it the majority of the time.