• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Some people in here have mentioned that Giant Bomb get things wrong consistently, and given this particular impression, I can believe that the same applies with this preview.
Its very possible he had framerate issues since their are so many variables.

Some even with a horde had none though.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Its very possible he had framerate issues since their are so many variables.

Some even with a horde had none though.
It's possible I suppose. I don't think Giant Bomb encountered the horde which is part of the reason they were so down on it and I think having that many enemies on screen is the biggest contributor to frame rate dips. It doesn't really add up.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Some people in here have mentioned that Giant Bomb get things wrong consistently, and given this particular impression, I can believe that the same applies with this preview. The frame rate is either improved, or it's not. It can't be both.

Either way, they still have 6 weeks to make sure the framerate is super stable. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

jobboy

Mar 24, 2018
Either way, they still have 6 weeks to make sure the framerate is super stable. I wouldn't worry too much about that.
but i'm worried instead! constant stuttering or slowdowns during hectic gameplay is a complete tarnish to me. i'll stay on the fence untiil a proper DF analysis though; sadly a poor framerate is a no buy :(

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
but i'm worried instead! constant stuttering or slowdowns during hectic gameplay is a complete tarnish to me. i'll stay on the fence untiil a proper DF analysis though; sadly a poor framerate is a no buy :(

DF analysis will be interesting but I am confident.
Maybe some smaller fps drops during the 500+ hordes.

Bend would make the hordes smaller if there were constant stuttering imo.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Some people in here have mentioned that Giant Bomb get things wrong consistently, and given this particular impression, I can believe that the same applies with this preview. The frame rate is either improved, or it's not. It can't be both.

I see, I've given GB a fair chance but I just don't enjoy their content. That said, it's entirely possible that Dan ran into performance issues. It's a preview build after all.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Most reports are the game runs much better than older showings and the developers have talked about trying to hit a rock solid 30 fps. I think only a small minority of the latest previews mentioned performance issues and the GB one seems to be an extreme outlier.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the things the dves been talking about and someone acctually did it
While I was driving through Hot Springs, I came across a camp of ambushers and I decided to slowly weed them out. I stalked each bad guy and killed them. I disarmed traps and shifted them around. Unfortunately, the death attracted a horde of Freakers and they ran after me. This forced me to prematurely rush the camp with the monsters behind me. The monsters ended up clearing the camp and nearly killing me.

Those weren't scripted moments, but ones that came about serendipitously through the different systems working behind the scenes. It helps the open-world of "Days Gone" feel more concrete and creates an element of unpredictability that could be a hallmark of the world.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/03...orcycle-is-lifeline-in-survival-horror-world/

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I find it weird that no one (wants to) see this. People really shouldn't be surprised if opinions end up more in line with Dan's.

I mean, I totally get Dan's perspective. If I were to sum up 3 shortfalls that's commonly cited in Days Gone, it is -

- the core gunplay of the game is mediocre at best. It's not best-in-class or a tightly crafted TPS gameplay like Gears of War or TLoU.
- the narrative, character and setting of Days Gone. While this has turned in its favour among many of the previews, the whole 'zombie-apocalypse-biker' thing that is really self-serious is not for everyone, and Dan made it clear even from the first time this game showed that it doesn't click with his taste.
- the by-the-numbers open world design. In that this game feels like AAA-itis of standard open world - main mission - side-quest - collectibles - crafting - etc.

Dan finds himself disliking Days Gone for its failure to stand out or be best/unique in the 3 areas above, and that's totally fair.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
As long as this scratches my State of Decay itch, imma be happy. I know from past critique that Dans opinion doesn't really line up with mine but I can see this splitting people in the opposite way red dead did.

kingPaPi

Mar 28, 2018
Nyc/LA
While days gone does look very mediocre, Dan is the same guy that said he loved breath of the wild so much we started crying while playing.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Wat. These look nothing like rager bears tho..
A plush toy looking like that would cause issues lol

As long as this scratches my State of Decay itch, imma be happy. I know from past critique that Dans opinion doesn't really line up with mine but I can see this splitting people in the opposite way red dead did.
Just to tell you it is really nothing like state of decay in its structure.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I find it weird that no one (wants to) see this. People really shouldn't be surprised if opinions end up more in line with Dan's.

Who said no one wants to see this? I don't understand why his opinion should hold more weight than others. Is he someone special, that I don't know about? Fact is there's going to be positive, negative, and meh opinions about this game. It is what it is, that's how it goes for every game. If you think you'll fall more in line with how he feels about the game, that's cool, but if you don't, it doesn't mean your blind to the games issues.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
It's not that no one wants to see it, it's that it isn't representative of the majority of the previews. He makes good points but not everyone will agree with him who has played it.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
So it sounds like you get increasing number of new threats as you go though the regions.

I think stuff like that would really help keep it fresh since it keeps throwing new types in the mix.I would love to see some freaker marine life lol

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to/watching the kindafunny gamecast preview now. Overall, really positive stuff so far. Hype +1

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Who said no one wants to see this? I don't understand why his opinion should hold more weight than others. Is he someone special, that I don't know about? Fact is there's going to be positive, negative, and meh opinions about this game. It is what it is, that's how it goes for every game. If you think you'll fall more in line with how he feels about the game, that's cool, but if you don't, it doesn't mean your blind to the games issues.

No he is nothing special...

I heard Dan already said in the past that he is not a fan of Sony 1st party games.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DF analysis will be interesting but I am confident.
Maybe some smaller fps drops during the 500+ hordes.

Bend would make the hordes smaller if there were constant stuttering imo.
Umm the Giantbeast crew said the game ran like shit during their 3 hours and they didn't see any remotely big hordes. It's not some forgone conclusion that this game runs smoothly.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's so many positive impressions from reviewers we know and trust. Lets let GB be GB. I mean, while we know their review score will be lower than average we've also read previews that will look to score the game higher than average.

And while GB may lower the overall meta Days Gone will still be a blast to play!

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
We know already that GB don't like the game...
Only Dan has played it so far, so it's possible others over there will like it.
Maybe his statement was before GoW and UC4 or what I heard was wrong.
You're probably thinking of Jeff.
GB said PSVR is unplayable because of the tracking.

But they were not capable to positionate the camera correctly...
That was due to a defective unit. Their issues went away when they got a new one.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Sooo much focus on a single preview jeese.

We have all these other media outlets to pool impressions and opinions from and talk about, which were positive... Instead let's get negative cause that's what matters clearly in this place to some.

Oct 26, 2017
A plush toy looking like that would cause issues lol

Yeaa but even the colour is wrong lol. Feels like they found a box of random plushies and slapped a Days Gone sticker on it. Par for the course I guess, I don't like most of Playstations merch. They have so many cool characters and models, but if you want a decent figure they cost like $500.00.

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo much focus on a single preview jeese.

We have all these other media outlets to pool impressions and opinions from and talk about, which were positive... Instead let's get negative cause that's what matters clearly in this place to some.
To be fair now this one ain't exclusive to days gone lol. Ppl find the negative ones to fit their taste it usually takes over the thread. Every preview thread ever

Status
Not open for further replies.