• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLoCoRaven

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Each camp has its own leader and philosophy . . . so I guess some of them might seem libertarian? Who gets that turned off from libertarian-ism anyway? ha!

This "libertarian" stance on the story makes me more interested in it. What do you expect during an apocalypse? Do you think government wouldn't be welding power like crazy and trying to control things?

Oct 25, 2017
The game has 40 hordes in the world people had ran into them like the one in the cave.
40 hordes, oh my oh my... That's awesome.

I really enjoyed the Easy Allies Preview. Good job, Jones. I like how the player can't leave the bike just anywhere since there could be NPCs taking some resources out of it. I burst into laughter watching this bit, had to make a gif:

1552067664357968.gif
giphy.gif

TheLoCoRaven

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Me. Game seems decent, but its sympathies are not my jam. I might still cop, but if I don't that's going to be one of the reasons.
Meh. If I was that turned off by stances I don't believe in, I'd have to forego most music, movies, tv shows, games, etc. I don't exactly align with the main catalyst behind horizon zero dawn, but I love that game.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly they're so jaded on almost everything in the games industry now - unless it's a retro style/influenced game they're generally negative. I enjoy listening to them bc of their humor but watching their E3 reactions/listening to game reactions are almost always negative

I mean go back to the Sony 2016 conference (which was arguably one of their best) - even their God of War reactions were negative because "they kept the same Kratos, how is that believable"

The "Giantbomb hates video games" take has got to be one of the most tired ones on Era. The Days Gone talk was sandwiched between positive talk of RE2, DoA6, MK11, DMC5, among other games.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
40 hordes, oh my oh my... That's awesome.

I really enjoyed the Easy Allies Preview. Good job, Jones. I like how the player can't leave the bike just anywhere since there could be NPCs taking some resources out of it. I burst into laughter watching this bit, had to make a gif:
Yeah once you discover a horde it will be marked on your map.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I've never got more replies.

Allow me to clarify, I don't hate the game, and I don't think it's a bad game. What I'm saying is Sony has always been very meticulous about what games they make. It's not just about profitability. If Sony want money they'd just have all their big studios make GaaS, they certainly have the talent for it. It's not about review score either, many Sony games don't have stellar reviews. But all of Sony 1st party serves a purpose. They make games to complement 3rd party output. When 3rd parties work on big open world games and GaaS, Sony make singleplayer story-driven games. When mid-size games are dying, they make TLG, Gravity Rush and Detroit. They are not the best sellers, nor GotY contenders, but they fill a certain niche that 3rd party is unwilling to tackle. Days Gone doesn't complement 3rd party games, it competes with them. That's what I find strange.
There really aren't any 3rd party zombie games though. Dying Light is old now and Dead Rising is, well, dead. Resident Evil is survival horror whereas this is just survival.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
So I like how you do get the standard clear x area there is story attach to these places as well.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on that quote from the USGamer article, it appears that the game will explain how everything happened which is awesome because it's annoying as hell when games never do.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
That you're reaching hard to paint the game as something it's not using a very tenuous connection.

I'm not trying to paint it as anything. The devs are pretty open about that libertarian side of Oregonian politics influencing the story. Maybe the narrative goes on to challenge that line of thinking, but I'm not sure it will, which is why I'm not sure about the game. I'm not even making a judgment on the game yet, I'm just not sure about it.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to paint it as anything. The devs are pretty open about that libertarian side of Oregonian politics influencing the story. Maybe the narrative goes on to challenge that line of thinking, but I'm not sure it will, which is why I'm not sure about the game. I'm not even making a judgment on the game yet, I'm just not sure about it.

And your best evidence of this is the government is the bad guy and concentration camps. As I said, a very tenuous connection.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Antagonizing other members and drive-by posting
Took a quick look at OP's history. Brother, there's more games than Days Gone coming out! That is some real hyperfocus

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
And your best evidence of this is the government is the bad guy and concentration camps. As I said, a very tenuous connection.

No, my best evidence of it is the devs saying it themselves. They literally said they want to be truthful to what they think Oregon would be in this end of the world scenario which is why the right-wing politics are prevalent.

My question is does the game enforce or challenge these politics. That I do not know. That there are libertarian aspects to the game is not speculation, though. It's pretty damn explicit.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, my best evidence of it is the devs saying it themselves. They literally said they want to be truthful to what they think Oregon would be in this end of the world scenario which is why the right-wing politics are prevalent.

My question is does the game enforce or challenge these politics. That I do not know. That there are libertarian aspects to the game is not speculation, though. It's pretty damn explicit.

It's not explicit at all though as your evidence is vague comments from the developers you haven't even quoted and two really poor examples. This is the exact opposite of explicit.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Gamecrate
A bit later on my favorite part of the entire four-hour demo happened when I got to play through a flashback scene that showed the exact moment in which Deacon and Sarah met for the very first time. In this flashback Deacon is an entirely different man full of jokes, charm, and charisma. The Deacon you come to know in the death-raddled landscapes of Oregon is much more stern and cautious. It's a great way to show how the truly apocalyptic events of the last few years changed him as a person.
The moral of the story with Days Gone is that it looked rough in past appearances. We've seen it at multiple E3 conferences and it's always just sort of waffled in obscurity as the "other" grimdark post-apocalyptic zombie-style game in the shadow of The Last of Us, but now that I've played a hefty chunk for myself I'm excited to see more. Whereas The Last of Us is a mostly linear narrative-focused adventure with survival elements, Days Gone is very much about forging your own path through a vast world full of possibilities.

To be honest, there really isn't another open world game or zombie game quite like it and that's what has me most intrigued.
https://www.gamecrate.com/hands-days-gone-more-just-another-zombie-game/22382

IGN Asia

Lol so deers can attack you as well
The environment is intuitive, with day-night cycle and a dynamic ecosystem where the wildlife, may attack you, attack the human NPCs or even the freakers and vice versa.

For instance, during my playthrough, when I was about to terminate the lifespan of a cultist, a freaker jumped out of nowhere to killsteal, and just before I could react and pull the trigger, we got hit by a deer. Yes, a freaking deer with antlers and all.
In regards to the bike, it is one of the highlights of the game pretty much like it. Although Sam who has also tried the game believe that the pace of the ride can be faster, I think it is reasonable and it is responsive.

Like Deacon's well-being, you need to pay attention to the condition of your bike and fuel gauge. You will start with a low-end starter bike, but can eventually upgrade it into a heavyweight chopper beast!
Overall, the two hours stride in the freaker-besieged Oregon was a joyful experience. I was pleasantly surprised with the rich gameplay, potential of the game, and the story seems to have the probable capacity to match the caliber of the well-crafted world.
https://sea.ign.com/days-gone/146643/feature/days-gone-hands-on-a-reactive-zombie-apocalypse-world

Last edited:

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's not explicit at all though as your evidence is vague comments from the developers you haven't even quoted and two really poor examples. This is the exact opposite of explicit.

What is vague about this and why are you so pressed? I'm still pretty open to this game turning this all on its head, but I'm just saying I'm unsure of how it's handling these elements. But the elements are there, yo.

"There are a multitude of viewpoints in Days Gone. You've only had a chance to experience two of them," he says. He points to Copeland, a Days Gone NPC who runs one of post-apocalyptic Oregon's many settlements, and who talks frequently about what the U.S. Constitution means to him (a lot). "Certainly Copeland with his truther theories, and if you're playing the game, you might hear one of his Radio Free Oregon broadcasts. Copeland espouses this kind of libertarian viewpoint that's anti-government, as well as conspiracy theories and whatnot."

In Garvin's opinion, characters like Copeland would flourish in a post-apocalyptic environment. After all, Garvin has had the chance to see some of these elements up close for himself. His mother was one of the founding members of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, he says. The group that created the catchphrase, "You may pry this weapon from my cold, dead hands."

He says he doesn't subscribe to that group's outlook, but that he wants to be truthful to what he thinks Oregon would be like in the event of a zombie apocalypse. "[The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms] is very, very, very right wing sort of conspiracy theorist, hate the federal government, blah, blah, blah," Garvin says. "In Oregon, there's a hotbed of that. We definitely want to try and be grounded and remain truthful to what I think the world would become after it ends. I think that's a huge part of it."

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/days-gone-interview

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
he pretty much didn't like anything about it. thought the story/biker vibe/dialog was very lame, said it was very uninteresting and boring and does nothing new, called it a 2013 game or something, said performance wasn't that good either (which i don't think any other preview has mentioned?). he did mention that he liked how the map opens up as you travel in the world and it doesn't have "ubisoft towers".
he was very harsh, but seems like he hasn't been a fan of the game since the announcement so it's mostly that the preview didn't change his opinion but instead made realize his initial reaction to the game was correct.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
he pretty much didn't like anything about it. thought the story/biker vibe/dialog was very lame, said it was very uninteresting and boring and does nothing new, called it a 2013 game or something, said performance wasn't that good either (which i don't think any other preview has mentioned?). he did mention that he liked how the map opens up as you travel in the world and it doesn't have "ubisoft towers".
he was very harsh, but seems like he hasn't been a fan of the game since the announcement so it's mostly that the preview didn't change his opinion but instead made realize his initial reaction to the game was correct.
Holy cow, he literally hated it! Thanks for summary bro

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

He hated it from start to finish. Thought the tone was awful (tried too hard and isn't funny or fitting), super bad performance issues, barley saw any hordes of zombies and instead just had boring 1 v 1 combat most of the time, never felt any tension, said it felt like the most bog standard open world + zombies game from 2013.

He liked the map system, and that's was about it.

Edit: beaten.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
He hated it from start to finish. Thought the tone was awful (tried too hard and isn't funny or fitting), super bad performance issues, barley saw any hordes of zombies and instead just had boring 1 v 1 combat most of the time, never felt any tension, said it felt like the most bog standard open world + zombies game from 2013.

Sounds like a solid 2 out of 5 from GB if the reviewer gonna be the same!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

At least in regards to performance I haven't heard much from other previewers. Though GB felt God of War 2018 had bad performance issues that it objectively didn't have so. *Shrugs*

MetalGear?

Nov 8, 2017
Performance was even 'terrible'..:yikes

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Took a quick look at OP's history. Brother, there's more games than Days Gone coming out! That is some real hyperfocus
What is your problem, and why are you going for a personal attack? I've appreciated the coverage he's given us, and the work he's put in compiling the various impressions and information snippets. Someone has to, for those of us that are interested in the game.

Oh, and I didn't check his post history as you have, but clicking his username tells me he's got almost 7.5k messages on here... highly doubt they all pertain to Days Gone. There's nothing wrong with having high enthusiasm for a game coming out literally next month.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England

Yeah but Jeff hates Sony exclusives and has said that many times in the past. (that is presuming it was Jeff who said it)

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
So? Dont think you the first to try this garbage with me.

If you came for personal attacks I am sorry but I am not going to play your games.This is a gaming forum what do you expect I post about?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is vague about this and why are you so pressed? I'm still pretty open to this game turning this all on its head, but I'm just saying I'm unsure of how it's handling these elements. But the elements are there, yo.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/days-gone-interview

This is the first actual evidence supporting your point. Big bad government and concentration camps do mean a game has libertarian leanings. Even still what they're talking about sounds like the kind of stuff you see in any near future post apocalyptic story the same as cannibals and religious zealots.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
the guy from giantbomb doesn't even understand why camps use freaker ears as money, he mix shit up with the ears and the food deacon provide to camp and talk about cannibals lol (with a bad reaction from the other people on the podcast).
also he kinda doesn't believe in the giant horde existence because it was not present in his playthrought even if the giant hordes are an official features of the game...

it was painful to listen tbh and i'm ok with negative previews if the game doesn't click but this was something else...

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
More games need to have the feature where swiping the touchpad in different directions shortcuts to specific menu destinations (map, inventory, etc)
The Witcher 3 did this to some degree.
Yeah its a cool little thing that dont get used much

Based on that quote from the USGamer article, it appears that the game will explain how everything happened which is awesome because it's annoying as hell when games never do.
I think if you follow that storyline it will explain it.I like how is not the main storyline is just one of many.

Status
Not open for further replies.