• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Well, I had fun playing the game. Took me a couple of minutes to get used to the Bike controls and the crafting/weapon wheel is not perfect, I ended up selecting stuff I didn't want to select in the heat of the moment. But you can switch weapons with buttons at least. It's not really bringing anything totally new to the genre, but it feels like a way more polished "State of Decay 2" I would say.

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them (I attended the preview event).

Hey, what did you think of the gun play overall specifically?

Oct 30, 2017
What I like most about this game is how story heavy is and how much options you got as a player, stealth seem to be a main gameplay mechanic aside from optional or opener as in Horizon
Yeah I know... many things about Days Gone makes me excited and expecting it to stand out between other games in the market.

I can see this game gain fans and followers over time and by the announcement of the sequel next gen it will make a very loud noises :-)

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Having just finished RDR2's main story and being deep into the Epilogue, I feel like I'll probably have to shelve this one for a while. I don't want to burn out OR be sat making unfair comparisons between Days Gone and RDR2, when it is probably a going to be a great game in its own right.

Which is a shame, because I have been looking forward to it.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well, I had fun playing the game. Took me a couple of minutes to get used to the Bike controls and the crafting/weapon wheel is not perfect, I ended up selecting stuff I didn't want to select in the heat of the moment. But you can switch weapons with buttons at least. It's not really bringing anything totally new to the genre, but it feels like a way more polished "State of Decay 2" I would say.

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them (I attended the preview event).
Did you play HZD btw? I'm interested to see if you thought the same about that game and how it didn't bring anything new.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Stevivor had an issue with the Newts because they look like zombie kids? Are we serious right now? If an actual zombie outbreak were possible in real life you would have zombie kids and you would have to kill them. I see no issue with that being a thing in a game. To be clear Bend studio said they aren't kids but I can't believe that outlet had to have that issue.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Reads like an open world Ubisoft game. Polished. Boring.

Still a big chance to be a sales hit and it's true the open world zombie genre's been lacking in quality. MG Survive was intriguing but lacking, and State of Decay 2 was nagging and buggy.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Did I say you were a hater? You coming in here asking why people are saying positive things about a game and defending it is a stupid question. Why are you coming in here and letting us know it has mediocre written all over it? Same shit different side of the fence. Good for you for feeling it's mediocre, good for them for feeling it isn't. Criticize all you want, your last comment was useless and not warranted.

That was the other guy actually, calling me a hater.
I'm not saying people shouldn't defend it, I just don't get why the trend on this forum is that whenever you seem to say anything negative about Days Gone you are instantly 'one of those people that hate the game'. I don't hate the game, I just wished it looked better then it does in these preview video's, because I like the idea of it.

I really did not mean anything bad with my last comment by the way. Really hope you guys are not disappointed by the game.

I mean you're the one who seems to have missed all the good things these previews are saying and called it "mediocre." Not sure what else you expect when you come across like that.

Kind of a fair point, but I did mention I like the graphics, so I started out with something positive at least.

And reading and viewing some of the previews I agree that the overall tone from it is mixed positive, but what everyone seems to mention is that it also 'doesn't do anything new' and has the same gameplay set-up as open world games as Far Cry and Mad Max. Does that not worry you guys?
My overall feeling from this is that the game gets old after 3 hours or so.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Looks like Deacon can't swim and he'll die if you move to deep water.

Generally, most previews share the same idea. It's a polished open world zombie game, with crafting, upgrades, base clearing and all that.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds solid. Not played a big open game since Spiderman so I'm probably about ready for one again. Having said that I do have an unopened Tonb Raider aonperhaps the sensible thing to do is play that and wait for a possibke Days Gone discount in the summer

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Gamesradar
One more thing my dark, withered heart appreciated was that Bend Studio has resisted the temptation to give into the temptation to put its tongue in its cheek. This isn't a cartoonish, over-the-top type of horror survival game. This feels like it's aiming for more of an HBO prime time mood, with Sam Witwer delivering an authentic performance that elevates Deacon beyond the action hero everyman, and a storyline that promises plenty of twists and turns. Of course, I've only just been able to peel back the first few layers of the onion that is Days Gone's story, but they've got me hooked, and that's not always true after a three-hour hands-on.

Usually you have to choose great open-world mechanics, satisfying story, or decent combat, but it feels like Bend Studio is taking strides to give us a bit of all three, and throw some pretty trees on top. I'll have to wait to play the full game to find out if loving this bad boy will pay off, but there's lots to like about Days Gone so far, and anyone craving an emotional apocalypse while they wait for The Last of Us 2 should absolutely get involved.
https://www.gamesradar.com/broken-h...the-green-apocalypse-you-didnt-know-you-need/

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Yeah I know... many things about Days Gone makes me excited and expecting it to stand out between other games in the market.

I can see this game gain fans and followers over time and by the announcement of the sequel next gen it will make a very loud noises :-)

I'm a big Sony Bend fan! Their Syphon Filter games are my favorite PS1 era games.. loved the conspiracy storyline and it's rich third person gameplay

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, the noises about stealth just absolutely sold me.

I'm outta the thread cos I don't wanna know more.

Peace, errybody!

I was about to say "Isn't it out in April?" then I realised... April IS next month...

They've done some pretty damn good criticism though. The review team will be completely isolated from the actual news treadmill team etc.

Weird about the "trying to pick apart and stock fire" interview technique then

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Hey, what did you think of the gun play overall specifically?

I think it was fine, could use a bit more "impact", but I thought it was pretty normal/okayish? Nothing really bad about it for me though. You basically have to choose one main weapon, like a Rifle/Sniper or Crossbow together with one melee weapon, a sidearm and a assault rifle or shotgun. Guns can be upgraded, stuff like suppressor can be build from an oil-filter for example.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Seems positive. I think it will be something +80 MC and that is great for new series and first AAA game bend have made.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And reading and viewing some of the previews I agree that the overall tone from it is mixed positive, but what everyone seems to mention is that it also 'doesn't do anything new' and has the same gameplay set-up as open world games as Far Cry and Mad Max. Does that not worry you guys?
My overall feeling from this is that the game gets old after 3 hours or so.
I mean I'm seeing a ton of positive things said about the game. Even if it was kind of like a Far Cry game what is wrong with that? Those are good games and this will likely have a better story then any Far Cry game. I like the setting as well as far as the diversity in the areas. Like I said this will likely be a game in the 8 range and I'm fine with that.

germuso

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's curious...days gone has to innovate when nobody does.

Zombies are ok in everygame but days gone should not use them because they are not original.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So Deacon doesn't actually see his wife die and only hears about it after the fact? Doesn't feel like they're telegraphing a twist there at all...

My bets are she did die but near the end of the game you run into her zombie self and have to decide if you want to kill her or not whilst the main character starts to cry and is struggling with it and eventually some sad music plays after you kill her. Cut to black.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Did you play HZD btw? I'm interested to see if you thought the same about that game and how it didn't bring anything new.

Depends on what kind of games you did play. It's a pretty standard open world game, that's pretty much right. You have bigger towns, camps with human enemies, hordes of Freakers, Nests, camps from the NERO guys, so there is a lot of stuff to see and discover. Human camps have bunkers, which you can search and enter, after you wiped out the enemies. If you don't wipe those guys out, you'll have more traps and enemy snipers around the world. There are random or scripted (not sure) events happening in the world, where you can decide if you want to help or ignore, etc. So even in those beginning hour(s) you can do a lot of different stuff. I'm not sure how much fun it will be, if it will be the same for 30+ hours, but initially there was a lot of different stuff to discover and try out. Nothing totally new from for an open-world game, yet still fun from my viewpoint.

I played HZD, which was well kinda new back then, with the whole mechanical dino approach, the world itself and mechanics for defeating those enemies. Days Gone is a bit more the usual stuff with zombie like creatures (screamer, we all know that type from different games before), but can't say much about later enemy types and if they will something fresh to the genre/game, could be. A stealthy approach does makes sense, you also have an indicator about the amount of noise you're making currently.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Zombies are ok in everygame but days gone should not use them because they are not original.

I wouldn't call it 'curious'. It's part and parcel of the baggage that comes with new IPs.

Any new IP that chooses to tackle an existing premise will always be asked the question 'what new thing do you bring to the table.'

Sure, the existing premise mainstays sometimes get a pass from that line of questioning due to established nostalgia and first-mover advantage.

But that's the challenge of new IPs.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

Still a big chance to be a sales hit and it's true the open world zombie genre's been lacking in quality. MG Survive was intriguing but lacking, and State of Decay 2 was nagging and buggy.

Driving the motorcycle is fun.
Stealth is fun.
Gunplay feels good.
Alle enemies can attack each other.
Lot's of different enemy types, even within the infected category.

Yeah, typically sounds like Ubisoft and utter boring.

giphy.gif

madgorillaz

Oct 28, 2017
It sounds like it'll be entertaining, but hopefully not too predictable.

If I'm honest, I would have guessed that a first party game in development for 5-6 years would be a bit more creatively ambitious, and I don't see that here.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
My biggest takeaway from this game was how much I enjoyed the different ways you could use your variety of abilities and the environment to complete objectives, whether that be to get into a place, or destroy people or things. I respect any game that attempts to emphasise a flexibility to move back and forth between stealthy and loud approaches, or the fluidity to switch between ranged, melee, and guerilla combat techniques on the fly. I like mixing things up.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/days-gone-is-a-familiar-experience-but-that-might-/1100-6465365/

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The start of the easy allies where he says marketing should ramp up. This game is absolutely everywhere and has been for weeks. Sony must be spending an absolute fortune on this.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I think it was fine, could use a bit more "impact", but I thought it was pretty normal/okayish? Nothing really bad about it for me though. You basically have to choose one main weapon, like a Rifle/Sniper or Crossbow together with one melee weapon, a sidearm and a assault rifle or shotgun. Guns can be upgraded, stuff like suppressor can be build from an oil-filter for example.

Ahh that's still in from like the first gameplay reveal which is awesome.
I like the home made approach to augmenting weapons sorta like Metro Exodus.

Good to know the gun gameplay is ok as that was my biggest worry. I don't need MGS V gun controls or anything but smooth aiming/firing of weapons is crucial.

Stealth is fun.
Gunplay feels good.

giphy.gif

lol that gif sign off

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Stealth is fun.
Gunplay feels good.

giphy.gif

If you like it, you like it. The IGN and Gamespot previews I read sound lukewarm. For me, Days Gone looks like exactly what it is; an idea from 6 years ago releasing past a point of noteworthiness.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Looks like Deacon can't swim and he'll die if you move to deep water.

Generally, most previews share the same idea. It's a polished open world zombie game, with crafting, upgrades, base clearing and all that.

And that's exactly what people are craving for. Plus emphasis on narrative. I can't wait. Bend is back on track!

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Not sure what you mean. Lots of games get called out for this. Crackdown 3 just got panned in large part because it doesn't do much new.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Any previews who have covered how the game runs on a base PS4?

All I'm seeing is game runs much better and near the 30fps mark on PS4 pro but nothing on base PS4.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Most tentpole SP Ubisoft open world games range from good to great, so that's not exactly such a bad thing. Metal Gear Survive and State of Decay 2 however fall in a lower league of critical reception than your average tentpole Ubi game, at 62 meta and 66 meta respectively.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
People defending metro like they didn't read that trash interview

I'm sure metro is dandy but that interview is dumpster fire

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
Finally, any chance of a Syphon Filter reboot or remake on the horizon after this?

John Garvin: I really appreciate that question because I was a writer and a director on all the Syphon Filter games. I love Syphon Filter but man we have been so focussed on Days Gone but when this thing ships and I can relax... I'll think about it. Never say never!
tenor.gif
tumblr_oqts02PFVa1wn1p99o2_1280.gif

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.