• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Good previews so far! I've been excited since announcement but its good to read that preview people largely enjoyed it.
This from Eurogamer got me a bit more hyped:

and:

So there's a bunch of freakers we haven't seen yet and the dynamic nature of human/freaker encounters to use to your advantage should lead to some fun gameplay moments imo.

THIS is cool !

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Since the reveal I knew this game was right up my alley and these previews confirm that :) Can't wait to explore Oregon next month.

mtel

Oct 29, 2017
https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2019/03/05/whats-changed-in-the-opening-hour

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but it seems that the binary choices that we have seen in previous gameplay demos have gone.

On my most recent playthrough, these moments came and went without a hitch – or, more specifically, the cutscenes played without asking for my input. Deacon took the mercy shot and was a good friend to Boozer. I asked Garvin and Ross if the decisions weren't in this particular build, or if they'd been completely removed from the game. Those choices are indeed gone, and it wasn't a decision that came lightly.

"It was kind of one of those things where we fought for it for a long time and had binary choices throughout the game, and we did a lot of user testing and at the end of the day it became hard to communicate what the impact of those choices were," Garvin says. "When we cut them, we found out that we just didn't need them

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
So.

I was able to play Day's Gone for three hours or so whilst at the preview event (around last week).

A lot of what I experienced in Day's Gone has been done better in other games. If this game was released a few years ago, I probably would have been more excited.

Overall, the game felt fine but that's about it.

If you like Far Cry and all the open world trimmings that comes with, you'll probably enjoy Day's Gone.

Edit:
Sorted out a bit of spelling.

Hey Jesse nice to see you posting on here, thought I'd let you know I enjoyed your first outing on the podcast last week!

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
So.

I was able to play Day's Gone for three hours or so whilst at the preview event (around last week).

A lot of what I experienced in Day's Gone has been done better in other games. If this game was released a few years ago, I probably would have been more excited.

If you like Far Cry and all the open world trimmings that comes with, you'll probably enjoy Day's Gone.

Edit:
Sorted out a bit of spelling.

Ok this seems fair, thanks for the feedback m8.

I do love these kind of games so I will probably bite, aso the 6 hours of cut scenes pretty much sold me already haha

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Sounds positive, so that's good to hear and pretty much what I've been expecting. Really good, if nothing groundbreaking, which is totally fine with me.

I can't wait to play it, looks like it will be a solid 8/10 game.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reviewers are shutting on the Sony formula? 🤔 Reviewers saying that everything has done better in other games? The freakes and the dynamic open world look better than 90% of the open world shit out there.

Oct 25, 2017
The most negative critique seems to be that doesn't really do any new or innovative. That's fine by me as long what it does is done well.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Gamekult

Quickly translated:
Days Gone is setting itself as a quite effective post-apocalyptic open world but is lacking originality, regarding whether its plot or mechanics. If the promise of a devastated Oregon to travel on a motorcycle remains enticing, the player will need to accept a gameplay that is already feeling obsolete and full of clichés, at least from what we saw at the preview stage. Come on, a little more nerve and surprises, and the title can really live happy days.

Feels like a 7/10 in the making from them (which is good)

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Seen the preview footage and I must say the environments look pretty, but man... gameplay still looks so rough. The human AI is acting wack all the time, making weird (pathfinding) choices. The guns and explosions don't have much weight to them. It looked like the player was really struggling with the controls as well.

I don't get why people here are defending this game so violently, because this has mediocre written all over it.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Newsweek
is a game that took i's time, and the wait seems worth it. In today's gaming climate it's easy to picture a studio receiving pressure to launch, to strike while a trend is climbing. But by doing it right, and inadvertently waiting until a swath of generic sandbox fare faded from memory, Days Gone is poised to give the fad the farewell it deserves. My hands-on left me feeling that the game does things right, even if some of them aren't great. A smooth story, familiar combat and the fantastic, unique motorcycle mechanics add up to strong single-player promise. It's a world I want to spend some time with, even if I might not like what I find.
https://www.newsweek.com/days-gone-preview-hands-demo-reveals-biking-good-time-1352976

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reviewers are shutting on the Sony formula? 🤔 Reviewers saying that everything has done better in other games? The freakes and the dynamic open world look better than 90% of the open world shit out there.
Yeah this is odd to me as well to hear them say this. Please show me these other open world zombie games that have done these things already. State of Decay has no story and is super janky. Dying Light is the only other open world zombie game I can think of and it being a first-person, parkour game sets it apart from Days Gone quite a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
Seen the preview footage and I must say the environments look pretty, but man... gameplay still looks so rough. The human AI is acting wack all the time, making weird (pathfinding) choices. The guns and explosions don't have much weight to them. It looked like the player was really struggling with the controls as well.

I don't get why people here are defending this game so violently, because this has mediocre written all over it.

Umm what? People are interested and like what they see, you don't, who cares.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Finally, any chance of a Syphon Filter reboot or remake on the horizon after this?

John Garvin: I really appreciate that question because I was a writer and a director on all the Syphon Filter games. I love Syphon Filter but man we have been so focussed on Days Gone but when this thing ships and I can relax... I'll think about it. Never say never!
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Sorry to ask but, How do you compare it to Horizon ZD? Seems more enjoyable overall? Or not?
Sorry but I never got round to playing Horizon! The crafting is simple enough and it's quite fun to find different parts scattered around the world in buildings, cars and so on.

Crafting is done from a wheel you can access while in game, time kind of slows down when you do (as far as I remember).

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So.

Yeah it sounds like this won't be for me, i tend to enjoy open world game at the beginning but i always loose interest after a few hours in :/

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this is odd to me as well to hear them say this. Please show me these other open world zombie games that have done these things already. State of Decay has no story and is super janky. Dying Light is the only other open world zombie game I can think of and it being a first-person, parkour game sets it apart from Days Gone quite a bit.

Well the polygon preview was really fair, but it seems to me like that the order. It's like they don't want it to succeed, just because it's the ''Sony template''

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have it around an 85 as well and judging by most of these previews that very well might be accurate. There will be a handful of lower scores but most of these are pretty positive towards the game. Just b/c it isn't groundbreaking like God of War doesn't mean it's mediocre. Few games score 90+.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Sorry but I never got round to playing Horizon! The crafting is simple enough and it's quite fun to find different parts scattered around the world in buildings, cars and so on.

Crafting is done from a wheel you can access while in game, time kind of slows down when you do (as far as I remember).

Thanks for your answer !

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No brief preview quotes in the OP?

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I'm super into stealth for these types of open world games and I know others are so this from Game Informer is encouraging:

The Stealth Game Is Strong
From the moment I saw the first stealth-takedown in the opening tutorial, I knew I wanted to be as sneaky as possible. Bullets and other ammo can be scarce, and taking care of your problems without depleting your inventory seems like a smart play. Sony Bend stresses that you don't have to interact with the stealth game if you don't want to, but it's clear they have some serious stealth fans on staff.

Days Gone has an incredibly satisfying stealth loop, with expertly placed enemies and long sections that seem tailored for that style of play. I was able to navigate a densely populated neighborhood undetected, methodically knifing my way through enemies by being patient and alert. At the end of that particular mission, I convinced a young survivor who had been living alone that she should follow me to safety. She seemed to understand the importance of stealth, too, as she stayed hidden and crept along behind me without any trouble – even hiding in a trash bin when I ran into an angry bear. I would have happily accepted a little help there, Lisa Jackson, but whatever.

NPC buddies seem to have nice environmental interactions with Deacon during stealth.

Edit: The gameplay tension sounds very good and Bend have actually added difficulty settings now it appears:

You either settle into Days Gone's rhythm, or face a relentless string of game over screens. Is it worth getting into that gunfight, or is the sound going to attract a crowd of infected you're not ready for? That NERO checkpoint is bound to contain some decent loot, but are you prepared to deal with what's protecting it? In short, players who prepare and learn to adapt will come out on top. The team did soften their original stance on difficulty settings, however, and players can modify how unrelenting the experience is from the start

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I've only seen two biomes in "Days Gone," but the environments are distinct and create different scenarios. In one situation, I found a herd of deer running across the road. I plowed my motorcycle into it and carved it for meat, but the reason the deer were fleeing was that a flood of Freakers were chasing after them. I had to get my supplies and hop on my bike.

While I was driving through Hot Springs, I came across a camp of ambushers and I decided to slowly weed them out. I stalked each bad guy and killed them. I disarmed traps and shifted them around. Unfortunately, the death attracted a horde of Freakers and they ran after me. This forced me to prematurely rush the camp with the monsters behind me. The monsters ended up clearing the camp and nearly killing me.

Those weren't scripted moments, but ones that came about serendipitously through the different systems working behind the scenes. It helps the open-world of "Days Gone" feel more concrete and creates an element of unpredictability that could be a hallmark of the world.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/03...orcycle-is-lifeline-in-survival-horror-world/

Status
Not open for further replies.