• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Listening to the Easy Allies preview. It's a shame that the gunplay still feels poor. It's one of the things I was going that they'd really shore up.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
I was worried the previews would be like the ones for The Order 1886 but so far so good.
So.

I was able to play Day's Gone for three hours or so whilst at the preview event (last week or so).

A lot of what I experienced in Day's Gone has been done better in other games. If this game was released a few years ago, I probably would of been more excited.

Overall, the game felt fine but that's about it.

If you like Far Cry and all the open world trimmings that comes with, you'll probably enjoy Day's Gone.
And that's my worry. It kinda fails to stand out.

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
So.

I was able to play Day's Gone for three hours or so whilst at the preview event (around last week).

A lot of what I experienced in Day's Gone has been done better in other games. If this game was released a few years ago, I probably would have been more excited.

If you like Far Cry and all the open world trimmings that comes with, you'll probably enjoy Day's Gone.

Edit:
Sorted out a bit of spelling.

Last edited:

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
So far previews seem pretty positive. Sounds like the game is going to be good. Maybe unspectacular, but still good.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
So.

I was able to play Day's Gone for three hours or so whilst at the preview event (last week or so).

A lot of what I experienced in Day's Gone has been done better in other games. If this game was released a few years ago, I probably would of been more excited.

8/10 game

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/03/06/days-gone-open-world-gameplay-impressions
Days Gone makes some interesting choices that kept my play session engaging, and the sections of its story that I experienced piqued my interest enough that I was legitimately frustrated that I couldn't continue playing at the end of the demo. While I'll admit that I initially rolled my eyes at yet another Gruff White Male Protagonist™ in a grim world - especially one with such a Gruff White Male Protagonist™-ey name as Deacon St. John - I ended up getting far more invested than I'd initially expected. I shouldn't be surprised, I suppose - this is a first-party Sony title, and Bend is no stranger to writing around well-developed characters and games with a strong narrative focus, either.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
IGN: "Is Days Gone fun to play? The answer is yes"

Thank fuck for that.

G-Trev

Oct 27, 2017
London
Appreciate the link might go funny as Daily Star is banned, but still would love to share. Here's our thoughts following our 3 hours with the game:

There's a really interesting kernel of an idea at the core of this game, and the multiple narrative threads Bend offers players to pull on should intrigue anyone with even a passing interest in end-of-the-world fiction.

Boil it down and the game is a mix of Sons of Anarchy and The Walking Dead - it has all the attitude and grit of SoA mixed with all the edge of your seat tension that comes from the best episodes of The Walking Dead.

That said, it's also taken some of the worst parts of its inspirations, too: it's got (based on our time with it so far) all the emotional depth of The Walking Dead's most mundane episodes, and the pace starts to drop off after a killer intro... much like Sons of Anarchy when it dropped us in Ireland for a whole season.

There's a lot to like about Days Gone, but so far, it's failed to live up to the extraordinarily high benchmark that Sony has set itself for PS4 exclusives this generation.

https://www.***************/tech/ga...worst-of-Sons-of-Anarchy-and-The-Walking-Dead

Last edited:

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So.

Was there too much water in it?

(sorry had to lol).

It's good to hear tempered expectations for it, I'm looking forward to it but don't want to let the hype overpower it, it looks like a good solid fun game but nothing super mind blowing.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
From the previews this game seems like it could have been the best game in february.

And I know that is not saying much or a high bar to reach.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The game is pretty good. It is an amalgamation of stuff you've already played but I do think there's more than enough character to make it work as its own thing.

It's pretty much exactly what you think it is to be honest. There's a lot of care and love been invested into it and I think it's going to be better than people expect, but it's also not a ground-breaking GOTY candidate like God of War, which is fine.

I thought the shooting was pretty good, and they've massively improved the sound effects. There seems like there's absolutely loads to do, and I love the tension that extends to every corner of the open world. You constantly feel under equipped, which is cool.

Oct 25, 2017
The game is pretty good. It is an amalgamation of stuff you've already played but I do think there's more than enough character to make it work as its own thing.

It's pretty much exactly what you think it is to be honest. There's a lot of care and love been invested into it and I think it's going to be better than people expect, but it's also not a ground-breaking GOTY candidate like God of War, which is fine.

I thought the shooting was pretty good, and they've massively improved the sound effects. There seems like there's absolutely loads to do, and I love the tension that extends to every corner of the open world. You constantly feel under equipped, which is cool.

I don't think it any one had hopes of that. I just want it to be very good.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
That's the exact vibe I'm getting from pretty much all the previews. Thanks for sharing!

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Was there too much water in it?

(sorry had to lol).

It's good to hear tempered expectations for it, I'm looking forward to it but don't want to let the hype overpower it, it looks like a good solid fun game but nothing super mind blowing.
Ha, no worries.

Honestly, Day's Gone was fun to play whilst at the event but it didn't blow me out of the water like that E3 2016 demo did. Like I said, if you like open world shenanigans but with zombies then you'll most likely get a kick out of Day's Gone.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Important to note that while there are moments of loading between cutscenes they are working until release to reduce those times as much as possible.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
If I had to put a percentage on it, I'd say 85-90% of my excitement is derived from seeing a game set in my home state.

Jan 29, 2019
Looking good! I haven't played a game like this in a while and I like what they are doing with the "zombies" in this one.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
This could be a fantastic first entry, hope it does well enough to warrant a sequel(s).

Oct 25, 2017
Now, I'm really getting hyped for this, the footage looks great, hope they use up all this time to improve the game and I am sure that it's been improved since this demo.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Good previews so far! I've been excited since announcement but its good to read that preview people largely enjoyed it.
This from Eurogamer got me a bit more hyped:

How many different types of Freakers out there? I spotted 9 different types of bounties in the menus so does that mean there new freakers that you've not yet announced?
John Garvin: There's a few we haven't talked about yet and we're going to leave a few surprises for the game but there's definitely more than we've talked about and each of them have tier unique bounty.

and:

Was there a scene where I saw swarmers eating a newt?
John Garvin: One of the things we really wanted to do was have something called a Freak-o-system, where every enemy in the game will attack every other enemy type in the game. So if you have a Rager Bear that had come through that scene the swarmers would try to attack it and probably they would lose, and the hordes will attack marauders so every possible enemy type in the game will attack every other one and that's something the player can actually use to their advantage because you can weaponise them by taking a swarm, dragging them into a marauder camp and just letting it play out. you just never know what's going to happen and it's that unpredictability that we really like.

So there's a bunch of freakers we haven't seen yet and the dynamic nature of human/freaker encounters to use to your advantage should lead to some fun gameplay moments imo.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Status
Not open for further replies.