• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Very surprised at the marketing dollar being thrown at this game. (In a good way)

Was expecting for it to be swept under the rug like Crackdown after the negative E3 turnout.

To be fair, it's not as if The Order 1886 lacked in marketing dollars back then either in terms of press/preview events back then either.

In spite of the media's lack of enthusiasm for Days Gone compared to other Sony tentpole games, the metrics for Days Gone so far has shown that there's a lot of consumer interest and even if Days Gone doesn't turn out to be an amazing game, so long as it's good ( enough ), it should do pretty well commercially.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I kinda love how Sony's marketing of their exclusives rivals that of early 360 exclusives. Their advertisements are everywhere, the press events are gigantic and ambitious, the promotional trailers are getting epic. Makes me shiver at the thought what they'll do for The Last of Us or Ghost of Tsushima.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, it's not as if The Order 1886 lacked in marketing dollars back then either in terms of press/preview events back then either.

In spite of the media's lack of enthusiasm for Days Gone compared to other Sony tentpole games, the metrics for Days Gone so far has shown that there's a lot of consumer interest and even if Days Gone doesn't turn out to be an amazing game, so long as it's good ( enough ), it should do pretty well commercially.
Suppose you are right actually. Wonder if they recouped the cost on Order. Doubt it considering the lack of sequel and separation from RAD.

In any event, it seems this method has been mostly successful with the other blockbusters they had in the running.

Oct 25, 2017
Suppose you are right actually. Wonder if they recouped the cost on Order. Doubt it considering the lack of sequel and separation from RAD.

In any event, it seems this method has been mostly successful with the other blockbusters that has in the running.
I think Shinobi commented on that one time and said The Order made a profit for them. He didn't get into the specifics of that, however.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just glad no one can blame publishers or whatever external factors determining the success of this title.

It's been given every opportunity to succeed. Prominent E3 billing, tons of trailers, promotional cuts, preview events, time and funding for delays to improve quality.

If it's a fuck up, it's on Bend.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad no one can blame publishers or whatever external factors determining the success of this title.

It's been given every opportunity to succeed. Prominent E3 billing, tons of trailers, promotional cuts, preview events, time and funding for delays to improve quality.

You almost sound like you're grinding the axe for the studio...

I think that lifting impressions embargo more than a month ahead shows rather good confidence (granted it's not full on reviews).

Oct 25, 2017

Damn can it...can it come out first

Oct 25, 2017

In any event, it seems this method has been mostly successful with the other blockbusters they had in the running.
Just to follow up on that.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...ir-current-projects.397/page-432#post-8413871

And yeah, I see what you're saying. Bend would be a major factor in its failure. Of course, that also means Bend would have to get a ton of cred if this turns out well. Especially since this is their first console game in forever all with a relatively small team.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Off topic but can I upgrade my Amazon pre-order of this to the Digital Deluxe version or do I have to cancel it first? Will I get the gift card money back if I cancel?

You would have to cancel your current preorder and order as Digital Deluxe version. As for the gift card, I never tried myself, but I think it credits your account back if you cancel a purchase with a gift card.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
My Best Buy preorder from two years ago for this and death stranding just disappeared..... I do not have my Best Buy rewards discount anymore. Has that ever happened to anyone?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I love this part of the year, a new IP getting it's big preview blowup, with a few weeks lead up to it, waiting to hear anything from previewers teasing their experience with the game, I am actually surprised at how early the preview embargo is. I remember previews from Sony usually be a bit closer to the reviews. Sony sounds confident.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
March 6th??? Very nice. Two weeks away. Expecting an 85+ MC/OC and at least a 9.0/10 for me personally. Can't wait baby!!!! Whooo!!!

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I love this part of the year, a new IP getting it's big preview blowup, with a few weeks lead up to it, waiting to hear anything from previewers teasing their experience with the game, I am actually surprised at how early the preview embargo is. I remember previews from Sony usually be a bit closer to the reviews. Sony sounds confident.
I seem to remember one of old God of War game had reviews out a month before the game is released

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I know majority dislike him but Colin Moriarty said years ago that The Order: 1886 made a profit for Sony and it's been confirmed by Shinobi and/or Nirolak here on resetera a few times because no one believed me when I said due to the original source. Like him or not, Colin was right in regards to The Order: 1886 making a profit for Sony.

Still hoping for The Order: 1887 on PlayStation 5. :)

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
I'm kinda thinking Sony should have kept the original February 22 date, looking at how mixed reception everything is in February so far besides Apex and maybe Metro but whatever.

Sony giving it plenty of marketing support with early previews feels like a good sign so looking forward to reading some impressions.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
So excited for this, its gonna scratch a gameplay and story itch I need I'm thinking.
2019 been a slow start for me in terms of what games I'm interested but Days Gone should fix that.

Edit: anybody seen the dynamic pre-order theme yet?

I'm kinda thinking Sony should have kept the original February 22 date, looking at how mixed reception everything is in February so far besides Apex and maybe Metro but whatever.

Sony giving it plenty of marketing support with early previews feels like a good sign so looking forward to reading some impressions.

Think its better Sony Bend got to avoid that February melee for some breathing room+extra polish time is good and will show in the final product hopefully.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I hope someone put a high quality B-Roll preview footage with no commentary online in the future...

God of War B-Roll footage back then satiate me for awhile until release.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
mashathebeartvja2.png
It's menbearpig, i knew he was real.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
I bought my ps4 for its exclusives and even if I'm not convinced by the exclusives that I played so far overall, I'm still interested by this one. Now it's wait and see.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait to see previews, I have a good feeling about this game

They were right to delay the game, avoid crowded Feb even if games are disappointed, time to polish the game and being alone on the market as big release

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still slightly confused by this game. Early sightings seemed more like a tech demo for zombie swarms but the game itself didn't seem that interesting. But the recent marketing (in particular the three videos 'get to know the world of days gone') pretty much swung me round.

The marketing is Sony getting their weight behind a new first party IP which is good to see, but doesn't necessarily mean its a AAA game. Aren't Bend still a relatively small developer? I'm wondering if this is possibly a lower scope/ambition game being pushed into being more than it is through marketing.

I have my fingers firmly crossed and from what I've seen so far Bend looks to be delivering - but if it is a 'smaller' game than eg GoW/Horizon/Spiderman I hope that doesn't backfire on Bend due to Sony marketing it how they are.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Calm down, Satan :p
Nothing is surpassing RDR2 for a long time to come.

lol, well I'm mostly speaking from a gameplay perspective. Look at it this way, if we compare RDR2 and God of War, RDR2 had the far larger, more fleshed out world with more things to do, more characters and all that fun stuff. God of War surpassed it in GOTY awards and one of the reasons was it was simply a better game to play. I have no doubt that RDR2 will have a more fleshed out open world with more characters, things to do and all that fun stuff compared to Days Gone. But based on the gameplay we've seen so far, I have the feeling that Days Gone will be the better game to play.

Hope that puts my feelings into better perspective.

Last edited:

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I bought my ps4 for its exclusives and even if I'm not convinced by the exclusives that I played so far overall, I'm still interested by this one. Now it's wait and see.

If you played them all, then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you're just done with games as a medium?

Calm down, Satan :p
Nothing is surpassing RDR2 for a long time to come.

Well I can name 20 games that I had way more fun with this gen than RDR2 (which I finished at 85% completion). Currently having more fun with Metro Exodus than RDR2 will ever give me. And I know for a fact that Days Gone is also gonna give me way more fun. RDR is the most overrated and overhyped game this generation, by far, in my opinion.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still slightly confused by this game. Early sightings seemed more like a tech demo for zombie swarms but the game itself didn't seem that interesting. But the recent marketing (in particular the three videos 'get to know the world of days gone') pretty much swung me round.

The marketing is Sony getting their weight behind a new first party IP which is good to see, but doesn't necessarily mean its a AAA game. Aren't Bend still a relatively small developer? I'm wondering if this is possibly a lower scope/ambition game being pushed into being more than it is through marketing.

I have my fingers firmly crossed and from what I've seen so far Bend looks to be delivering - but if it is a 'smaller' game than eg GoW/Horizon/Spiderman I hope that doesn't backfire on Bend due to Sony marketing it how they are.

I don't think you have much to worry about. They've concentrated on fighting the hordes mainly because it's a flashy and great visual spectacle to show off in a relatively short period of time and draw more attention to the game. The hordes are going to be a fun part of the game, but it's so much more than just fighting hordes as we've seen in the crap-ton of footage we've gotten over the past year.

As for the scale, here's an interview with Sam Witwer (the actor for Deacon St. John the main character in Days Gone) from last year. He offers some decent insight into the project, that it is a AAA game and that the scope of the game has grown significantly over the past few years. The video is timestamped for 31:25 in case you open it in a new window:

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

I mean, not really? If anything, other than visuals, animations, sound design, etc - Bend's game feels like it's being more ambitious than even some of other Sony's AAA titles.

- Decently sized open world game. ( Based off the rough estimate of the size of one hub and the fogged map that was in previous teasers, the size of the world will be substantial enough to be believably sold as an open world game, even if not AssCreed or RDR2 levels for obvious reasons )
- Day/night cycle with weather patterns
- 30 hour long story campaign ( according to the devs, even if we trim it down to hyperbole and it's actually only 20-hours - it's still substantial )
- At least 4 different combat-related open-world activities ( hordes/human enemy camps/freaker breeding grounds/NERO checkpoints)
- At least several typical open-world style activities ( side-quest/collectibles/towers/bikes/etc)
-Pitched or positioned to be a rather 'dynamic' open world, one where enemies have movement patterns and a degree of randomness. ( enemies will sleep at different times of the day, stronger in cold weather, will move around the map, won't just be in one location, etc etc )

I have certain areas of concern with Days Gone even now ( tightness of gunplay, lack of hipfire which imo could make horde clearing unfun, poor sound design, and animation that isn't as visceral or well-animated as the WWS peers ), but otherwise it looks to be plenty worthy even just looking at its checklist of features.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I have certain areas of concern with Days Gone even now ( tightness of gunplay, lack of hipfire which imo could make horde clearing unfun, poor sound design, and animation that isn't as visceral or well-animated as the WWS peers ), but otherwise it looks to be plenty worthy even just looking at its checklist of features.

Is it confirmed that hipfire isn't in the game?

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Interesting. I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks if that's been added.

I mean, it doesn't need to be in the game. But looking at the videos of the horde gameplay I feel like it's a poor design choice to have the player have to stop and shoot everytime you want to chip away at the horde. I get the worry that hipfire would make horde clearing much easier, but I would imo balance that with making hip fire extremely inaccurate for high ROF weapons. ( accurate for handguns, but handguns are useless against horde anyway )

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
-Pitched or positioned to be a rather 'dynamic' open world, one where enemies have movement patterns and a degree of randomness. ( enemies will sleep at different times of the day, stronger in cold weather, will move around the map, won't just be in one location, etc etc )
this part is what that grabs me about days gone. you rarely see games that are so complex systemically. if they can pull it off, then i find that part even more interesting than the horde tech itself.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I mean, it doesn't need to be in the game. But looking at the videos of the horde gameplay I feel like it's a poor design choice to have the player have to stop and shoot everytime you want to chip away at the horde. I get the worry that hipfire would make horde clearing much easier, but I would imo balance that with making hip fire extremely inaccurate for high ROF weapons. ( accurate for handguns, but handguns are useless against horde anyway )

Wait. You can't run towards the camera and fire behind you at the same time?

Do you even know what AAA means? Days Gone is definitely an AAA game. It's published by Sony and made by a Sony owned Studio. If anything is AAA, this is it.

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
BTW, do we know if the game will let you save whenever you want or can you only save at safe houses and whatnot? Can't say I've heard anything on that subject.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
This game is going to be prove all those naysayers and skeptics wrong! You all ready to eat crow?

That being said, did anyone else catch a glimpse of the 60fps gameplay bits in the last released gameplay trailer?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This game is going to be prove all those naysayers and skeptics wrong! You all ready to eat crow?

That being said, did anyone else catch a glimpse of the 60fps gameplay bits in the last released gameplay trailer?
yea the previous trailer was originally running at 60fps, but sony cut the framerate back 30fps now, which probably means that trailer wasnt even running on a PS4....