• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
into my veins into my veins into my veeeeeeeeeins

Now if only we could mod some co-operative multiplayer into this beast...

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Game starts out like shit, gets in a good groove and then wears out it's welcome by stretching a 20 hr game over 40+ hours. Some of the worst cutscenes, characters and dialogue I've experienced in an AAA game ever.

It is a looker though. Should look bonkers on a good rig. Right behind RDR2 as far as open world visuals.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One step closer to:
C2BB5080E5EDAB06D38DA6CC42E450BAFF0D11F7

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Well said the game definitely deserves more love. The gameplay loop really ends up hooking you and it's so funny how as it goes on you truly do care for your bike as well lol.

For sure! I definitely got sucked into upgrading my bike, skills, and weapons, and some of the later weapons you get are so much fun to use. The game has great atmosphere, and I'm glad that it seems like a lot of people started to come around to the game, because it was always pretty damn good, but a lot of folks wrote it off. Not every game needs to reinvent the wheel, and, mechanically, Day's Gone reminded me of an open world The Last of Us (when it comes to scrounging for resources and crafting items, that is; tonally, i think they're very different).

Such a pleasant surprise of a game for me. Not that I thought it'd be bad, just that I wasn't sure if I was interested in the premise at all.

I think Deacon is an underrated protagonist as well. He's not a charming, likeable quipster rogue, he's just an asshole, but, unlike many protagonists, that aim to endear them to you from jump, NO SPOILERS, Deacon actually grows as a character as the narrative progresses, and he's not the same person at the end as he was at the start. I think he's really well conceived and written, personally. And I started off really disliking him. He grew on me, big time.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Playstation Mobile as the publisher will never not be funnier. will Sony ever change that?
Sort of. Oddly, on Steam Days Gone is published by PlayStation Mobile, Inc. and Horizon Zero Dawn is published by PlayStation Mobile Inc (sans comma). Both are considered separate publishers on Steam. What? Huh? Why? I guess it's easy to create a new publisher profile. So just create an SIE one!

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Such an awesome game.

My advice for those that were skeptical of it, stick with it past the rocky start. It only gets better as it goes on, and that applies to both the gameplay and the narrative.

It's such an unappreciated gem of a title, and I hope more people play it. Graphically, it's one of the best looking PS4 titles (and looks amazing on the PS5!), so I'm sure the PC version is going to look fantastic too! It has some of the best weather effects I've seen in a game, and the in game character models (especially for Deacon), is also some of the best when it comes to the fidelity of the character model in game compared to the cutscene model fidelity (usually, there's a pretty noticeable difference when switching from cutscene model to ingame, but Deacon's model is damn impressive in game.

I was very skeptical with this game, and wasn't really feeling it that much at the start, but I ended up getting sucked into it, and I'm glad I stuck with it. Bend's post launch support of the game was also great, and while it's not this perfect thing, it's just really, really fun to play (especially taking on hordes), and the narrative surprised me with how invested I became as it progressed.

Can't agree more. I bought Days Gone on sale in the summer of last year, and thankfully waited until January to play on PS5, enhanced at 60fps. Calling Days Gone a gem is the best descriptor for this game. It is 100% worth playing, really picks up steam after the first couple of hours, and pays off in the end from both a gameplay and story standpoint.

And I must say, that ultrawide looks good... damn good.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded it on PS5 through PS Plus and played a tiny bit, but I'll definitely grab it on PC and do a play-through.

Should be interesting to see if we can unlock any more settings through the UE4 console unlocker, like downsampling and removing the HUD/radar etc.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
So, will they add those features to the PS5 version?

I know that BC has some limitations, but they could release a native PS5 version.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
So, will they add those features to the PS5 version?

I know that BC has some limitations, but they could release a native PS5 version.

PS5 doesn't support ultrawide, and I doubt arbitrary rendering resolutions choice will be a thing on console. But I imagine any PS5 update could achieve the rest other than higher refresh as 120hz output is max for PS5 iirc.
HZD on PS5 hasn't got the PC updates though if I'm not mistaken

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
I wish I could transfer my PlayStation 4 save somehow. I Have to wait till some day when I get a PlayStation 5. This game is good once you get past the boring parts.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
PS5 doesn't support ultrawide, and I doubt arbitrary rendering resolutions choice will be a thing on console. But I imagine any PS5 update could achieve the rest other than higher refresh as 120hz output is max for PS5 iirc.
HZD on PS5 hasn't got the PC updates though if I'm not mistaken

I'm saying about improved draw distance, foliage and etc. The game already runs at 60 fps via BC. They could add a mode with these things at 30 fps

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I've just got a 3070 now for my computer and guess I should maybe check out this PC version instead the ps5 version I was going to play and have installed... Hmm another thing I'm not gonna use the ps5 for like Control after I got the 3070 lol

J75

Sep 29, 2018
SSD being recommended even on minimum settings is really interesting. Guessing the game is gonna be hitching and stutter town on a mechanical hard drive.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Game starts out like shit, gets in a good groove and then wears out it's welcome by stretching a 20 hr game over 40+ hours. Some of the worst cutscenes, characters and dialogue I've experienced in an AAA game ever.
I only played through the first hour and that was largely my take away. Its storytelling is actively pushing me away hard.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No it works well since PC communities tend to propagate info themselves, and most players are enthusiasts to an extent.
Sony have the notoriety, so most PC marketing is simple enough and spread around by various communities. Much like Valve, they don't need much effort.
- Brief Interviews
- Steam page
- Answer FAQ
- Trailer
- Steam Banner at launch / charting on Steam
I do agree that they have notoriety, but I disagree that most PC players are enthusiasts. There are people who play on laptops and windowed mode without ever checking graphical options. And there are a lot of them. For those who don't check forums, social media about games, or Steam pages, it's harder to find these games - especially as it's just the second major release.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm saying about improved draw distance, foliage and etc. The game already runs at 60 fps via BC. They could add a mode with these things at 30 fps

Like I said, I'm sure those could be added in an update, if they are inclined to do so. But top features for me are also flexibility in resolution and framerate too. Folks are going to be keen on going well beyond 60hz. I'll certainly be pushing for 100-144hz range as I usually do. Also if this is like HZD, full Steam Input support is always fantastic, and an awesome feature for those of us using all sorts of controllers incl. things like Steam Controller, or wanting to map our own Gyro support etc

I do agree that they have notoriety, but I disagree that most PC players are enthusiasts. There are people who play on laptops and windowed mode without ever checking graphical options. And there are a lot of them. For those who don't check forums, social media about games, or Steam pages, it's harder to find these games - especially as it's just the second major release.

Yeah, you've missed my point. What I'm getting at is that there are more enthusiasts in the platform imo, and its an ecosystem that propagates info typically without the marketing fanfare of giant console launches, without the platform holders hand. I'd say that's pretty normal.

Oct 29, 2017
Hell yeah! I'm glad I waited on this one. :-)

edit: Legit question, why do a lot of people think that it may have gone to EGS as an exclusive? That didn't happen with HZD...

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
The screenshots on the steam page really give off the vibe of "Early access survival game", which I know very much is not the actual vibe of the game. Who chose these lifeless screenshots?

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I suspect this game will have much better reception on PC just like Death Stranding.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I think the notable difference here is the level of marketing exposure. PC-players are generally not used to marketing campaigns since there is no single company that oversees the platform, so whether you're "casual" or "enthusiast" you'll have to rely on conventional discovery methods such as word of mouth, social media, reviews (professional or user submitted) or whatever tools are available through the store you're using. I mean, you can pretty much look at any successful PC-title, their initial success is very rarely backed by marketing in any significant capacity.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd take the system requirements with a grain of salt. IIRC the Horizon ones were nearly identical.

So they have hopefully been getting their optimization priorities in order

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
Sort of. Oddly, on Steam Days Gone is published by PlayStation Mobile, Inc. and Horizon Zero Dawn is published by PlayStation Mobile Inc (sans comma). Both are considered separate publishers on Steam. What? Huh? Why? I guess it's easy to create a new publisher profile. So just create an SIE one!
As was shown with "very positive" that text box seems to just be a text box. When the set up the page they must have forgotten the comma.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Remember that while it's releasing in 2021, it's still a 2019 game.

System requirements are standard 8th gen games. Most AAA games have the 1060 as recommended gpu.

The screenshots on the steam page really give off the vibe of "Early access survival game", which I know very much is not the actual vibe of the game. Who chose these lifeless screenshots?
Well, it's third person to start. Most of those games are first person due to budget/resource limitations. There's also those screens with Deacon on his bike, one of which is shooting at a zombie, which I bet has never been seen before in early access games.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you've missed my point. What I'm getting at is that there are more enthusiasts in the platform imo, and its an ecosystem that propagates info typically without the marketing fanfare of giant console launches, without the platform holders hand. I'd say that's pretty normal.
I got that, but I'm still reluctant about it being a platform where there are more enthusiasts than those who don't follow gaming news and forums. I'm sure there are a lot who basically play Fortnite/League of Legends/Counter-Strike/DOTA and/or games that are big on Twitch.
I think the notable difference here is the level of marketing exposure. PC-players are generally not used to marketing campaigns since there is no single company that oversees the platform, so whether you're "casual" or "enthusiast" you'll have to rely on conventional discovery methods such as word of mouth, social media, reviews (professional or user submitted) et al.
Oh, for sure. But still, announcements usually come with a press release or a YouTube video. Even if they're not constant. Sony's PC strategy has announcements in the middle of an exclusive interview.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I'd take the system requirements with a grain of salt. IIRC the Horizon ones were nearly identical.

So they have hopefully been getting their optimization priorities in order
Yeah, 1060 was recommended for Horizon, Cyberpunk and as well as RDR2. It doesn't tell us anything about optimization.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
System requirements mean nothing to me, anymore.

I'll await the Digital Foundry breakdown for the truth.

Yeah, it's how it is. They basically don't want to hurt their fanbase.

From the interview:
Such an embarrassing way for Sony to do business. I can't believe they base strategy on how angry their fanboys get over ports.

It's like Jim Ryan once read the "...just shot themselves in the foot.." meme and took it dead seriously.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
My Ryzen 5 2600 and RX 580 has some life left lol. I have this game on PS4/PS5 and need to finally play it though...

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Still upset that out of all the games in Sony's Catalog, its the one that I wanted least.

Oh well, wishlisting it.

Maybe now the PS4 ver will go below $20.