• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
I'm like 15 hours in and haven't tried to take on a horde yet and I'm about halfway through the 3rd camp. Am I behind on that aspect of the game because I was reading earlier in the thread and some people took them down within the first 6 hours and I was like wtf.

I accidently triggered one (the horde in the train car thats near the NERO checkpoint) and Im right around where you are in the story I think. I was trying to clear the check point quietly when I got rushed. I figured I would try to take them down and spent basically all of my gear doing it but it wasnt too difficult (but it did seem much smaller than some of the hordes Ive randomly crossed throughout the game so far). I did it with an SMG, upgrade 9mm pistol, and the fucking crossbow (definitely wasnt prepared).

How I did it: I would just sprint when I could, turn and fire the SMG at the crowd, or throw molotovs,grenades,pipebombs. Or I would lead them passed gas cans and explosives and use my pistol to blow them up.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I accidently triggered one (the horde in the train car thats near the NERO checkpoint) and Im right around where you are in the story I think. I was trying to clear the check point quietly when I got rushed. I figured I would try to take them down and spent basically all of my gear doing it but it wasnt too difficult (but it did seem much smaller than some of the hordes Ive randomly crossed throughout the game so far). I did it with an SMG, upgrade 9mm pistol, and the fucking crossbow (definitely wasnt prepared).

How I did it: I would just sprint when I could, turn and fire the SMG at the crowd, or throw molotovs,grenades,pipebombs. Or I would lead them passed gas cans and explosives and use my pistol to blow them up.
Yeah it's been mostly smaller ones of 100-300 that I've encountered. I just haven't really tried and have just sneaked around them or they've showed up at a camp I was clearing (which was cool as hell when it dynamically does that). I run a lot. Lol.

I just figured they were a late game thing when I was more geared and leveled up.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I'm like 15 hours in and haven't tried to take on a horde yet and I'm about halfway through the 3rd camp. Am I behind on that aspect of the game because I was reading earlier in the thread and some people took them down within the first 6 hours and I was like wtf.

Well you could practice it a bit but I am pretty sure you dont have all the tools yet to take one down...small tips that I am actually going to do now is get use to traps and how they work,put a few skill points in survival so you can carry more then 3 molotov and the like at some point and try to raise the camp of your choice to 3...this is why I am struggling with the Mandatory Horde mission,so I abandonned it and will raise a camp to level 3 and put a few points in survival...my 2 other skill categories are maxed...not saying its a must but it might help.

Oct 29, 2017
Well you could practice it a bit but I am pretty sure you dont have all the tools yet to take one down...small tips that I am actually foing now is get use to traps and how they work,put a few2 skill points in survival so you can carry more then 3 molotov and the like at some point and try to raise the casmp of your choice to 3...this is why I am struggling with the Mandatory Horde mission,so I abandonned it and will raise a camp to level 3 and put a few points in survival...my 2 other skill categories are maxed...not saying its a must but it might help.

I've been doing missions for Tucker whenever possible and I horde all my bounties, animal bits, and plants for when I visit their camp to get to level 3 (still have about 6-7k to go) just because I know that big machine gun (m60?) is going to be invaluable when it comes to dealing with hordes later on.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
I faced one or two small ones earlier but only really started about where you are. Some of the big ones are tough but it's probably easier than you think. You still have a way to go and it does get easier

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I faced one or two small ones earlier but only really started about where you are. Some of the big ones are tough but it's probably easier than you think. You still have a way to go and it does get easier
Oh jeez. I put some serious time into it this weekend too. I guess just sit back and enjoy the ride? Lol.

The story is pretty good around this part of the game. Maxed out my bike in IMs camp so far. Haven't focused on 2nd camp much because I don't like the characters but the guns seem ok that I got from there.

Oct 29, 2017
Oh jeez. I put some serious time into it this weekend too. I guess just sit back and enjoy the ride? Lol.

The story is pretty good around this part of the game. Maxed out my bike in IMs camp so far. Haven't focused on 2nd camp much because I don't like the characters but the guns seem ok that I got from there.

Im pretty much at that point as well.....is it just me or does it seem like the other camps dont have much for you to do? Occasional camps to clear out our bounties to pursue but thats about it. Makes leveling up Tuckers camp kind of a pain in the ass.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Im pretty much at that point as well.....is it just me or does it seem like the other camps dont have much for you to do? Occasional camps to clear out our bounties to pursue but thats about it. Makes leveling up Tuckers camp kind of a pain in the ass.
Yeah I've just been focusing on Mikes for the bike stuff as I got a machine gun from Tucker's that I've been using most of the game. I just have been giving my bounties to Mikes camp lately. But now that I'm maxed with what I want there I'm just doing jobs/story missions for them and moving the story along.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Man I love this game,its in my top 5 this year but those bike pursuit are awful and now I have to do one to progress the main story and its the worst one yet...I just hate how they start the chase by having you come out of the investigation in slomotion and by the time you can move freely and get on your bike,you are already a mile away from the guy...

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm lost on how to get into this house. I'm doing my first mission for the third camp I just got Boozer to. I needed to clear out nests in this town and get into some house but the house is barricaded and the only door is locked. There's a ladder on the fire escape on the side of the building but it's raised and I have no idea how to get in. I literally see the yellow mission marker say I'm 10m from inside the house but I can't get in the fucking thing. What do I do?

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
So I'm ~8 hours in, if I had to guess. Boomer and I just went for a long bike ride. I have NOS now, which is fun.

I'm really impressed when the environment and emergent gameplay, particularly the "Oh, SHIT" feeling the game can instill in me. But I can't shake how checklisty it all feels at times, and the tone of the story has become off-putting. Without starting a major fuss, I'm just not feeling the white trash macho fantasy angle (I couldn't get to the end of the third episode of Walking Dead).

I really, really don't like Radio Free Oregon. It feels like self parody without a punchline.

Should I keep playing? This the story develop into something more... clever?

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm ~8 hours in, if I had to guess. Boomer and I just went for a long bike ride. I have NOS now, which is fun.

I'm really impressed when the environment and emergent gameplay, particularly the "Oh, SHIT" feeling the game can instill in me. But I can't shake how checklisty it all feels at times, and the tone of the story has become off-putting. Without starting a major fuss, I'm just not feeling the white trash macho fantasy angle (I couldn't get to the end of the third episode of Walking Dead).

I really, really don't like Radio Free Oregon. It feels like self parody without a punchline.

Should I keep playing? This the story develop into something more... clever?
It gets better.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts

Does it stay the course of "School shootings weren't a big enough reason to improve gun control?"

Having Deacon hear that on his radio and go "Yup, you got me! Have to agree there after all of this!" was so fucking off-putting. This was also around the time the lady camp leader is sort of revealed to be a slave-driver (compared to the 'liberty driver' Copeland, the aforementioned guns, guns, guns guy) ... and Deacon saves Sarah in a flashback, then Lisa modern day, etc. I feel a bit gross playing it.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this on sale during Black Friday and I just beat it today. Aside from being 10 hours longer than it needed to be, I really enjoyed it and can't wait for a next-gen sequel. I trust that Bend can iron out a lot of the bugs and uneven presentation in a follow-up. I honestly got really into the story and characters in a way I didn't expect.

Judging from the trophies, it seems like 1/3 of the people who played the game, finished it. That seems really high, no? Especially considering the length of the game.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Coming back to follow up on my post yesterday:

It seems like the tone is course-correcting? I still don't love the tone of the machismo from the first act of the game, but maybe I'm being overly critical.

The horde stuff and general survival elements really make this game for me.

Oct 29, 2017
It seems like the tone is course-correcting? I still don't love the tone of the machismo from the first act of the game, but maybe I'm being overly critical.

I dont understand this criticism. While yes, there is machismo tones, I think its always undermined by the fact that Deacon is not a mentally or emotionally stable person. I also like how most of the characters live in a somewhat moral grey area. You get the general impression from the person when you originally meet them, then those prejudices get undermined the more you talk to them.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I dont understand this criticism. While yes, there is machismo tones, I think its always undermined by the fact that Deacon is not a mentally or emotionally stable person. I also like how most of the characters live in a somewhat moral grey area. You get the general impression from the person when you originally meet them, then those prejudices get undermined the more you talk to them.

Yeah, I feel you on Deacon's instability, but I also laugh when he says things like "I've got to kill these murderers!" (I'm paraphrasing, but he mutters something very similar when approaching ambush camps, usually).

The thing that really set me off the other day when I posted (too angrily, I might add) was some of the mass shooting mockery from Radio Free Oregon. It felt like the most toxic stuff imaginable in a video game, for my tastes, but I'm starting to think I'm supposed to read that camp as being too libertarian for its own good?

Iron Mike's camp is helping me enjoy the tone a lot more, even if it feels very TLOU.

Oct 29, 2017
The thing that really set me off the other day when I posted (too angrily, I might add) was some of the mass shooting mockery from Radio Free Oregon. It felt like the most toxic stuff imaginable in a video game, for my tastes, but I'm starting to think I'm supposed to read that camp as being too libertarian for its own good?

I think that is kind of all part of the character subversion. Copeland seems like a fairly ok guy when you first meet him....then you kinda realize that he is kind of a survivalist nutjob.

Most of these characters are never painted in any kind of heroic light. They are very very flawed people and some of them are down right reprehensible. No character is ever portrayed as having a 'true north' moral compass; they just survive and the devs leave it to the player to make their own judgement.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I think that is kind of all part of the character subversion. Copeland seems like a fairly ok guy when you first meet him....then you kinda realize that he is kind of a survivalist nutjob.

Most of these characters are never painted in any kind of heroic light. They are very very flawed people and some of them are down right reprehensible. No character is ever portrayed as having a 'true north' moral compass; they just survive and the devs leave it to the player to make their own judgement.

Sure, I get that. I just had an awful, awful taste in my mouth when Copeland started talking about how mass shootings were a fool's motivation to enact any sort of gun control, and Deacon said "Yup, you got me!"

I get that this is a work of fiction and an extreme scenario, but, man, it's 2019. The real world exists. School shootings happen. This is a zombie video game.

Oct 29, 2017
Sure, I get that. I just had an awful, awful taste in my mouth when Copeland started talking about how mass shootings were a fool's motivation to enact any sort of gun control, and Deacon said "Yup, you got me!"

I get that this is a work of fiction and an extreme scenario, but, man, it's 2019. The real world exists. School shootings happen. This is a zombie video game.

I understand where you are coming from and I guess it just boils down to your personal sensibilities. My thought on the matter is that, in the world they crafted, its is a coherent thought and its almost certainly a thought that people like Copeland would express if this was a real world scenario. However, I think you could make a strong case that it doesnt add anything to the game either and just exists for cheap shock points.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I understand where you are coming from and I guess it just boils down to your personal sensibilities. My thought on the matter is that, in the world they crafted, its is a coherent thought and its almost certainly a thought that people like Copeland would express if this was a real world scenario. However, I think you could make a strong case that it doesnt add anything to the game either and just exists for cheap shock points.

Yeah, it really rubbed me the wrong way.

This is a game where you fight "The Freakers."

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Im kinda getting to that point too. The gameplay loop is still entertaining but the story feels like its really dragging at this point.

I just got to the part where you try to escape the militia camp. How much further?
Idk... I'm just a little past that myself. I'm enjoying the game but I want to move on to something else now. The game has shown its whole hand by this point. There's nothing new gameplay-wise, so it's just story left that's interesting to me. Hopefully finish it up today.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Is DG a good "Walking Dead" simulator?

Been getting back into TWD recently. Endured s7 and started feeling it again now I'm on s8. A nice "monkey see monkey do" game would be great for the holiday season.

I.e. bits of human drama and faction wars as well as some good old fashioned zombie killin'. I don't need emotional decisions like in Telltale's series; I just need to feel like I'm playing the show.

P.S. you can't drive anything other than Deacon's bike, right? Feel like driving/customising other vehicles would be a fun part of an open/large scale zombie apocalypse game.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
Is DG a good "Walking Dead" simulator?

Been getting back into TWD recently. Endured s7 and started feeling it again now I'm on s8. A nice "monkey see monkey do" game would be great for the holiday season.

I.e. bits of human drama and faction wars as well as some good old fashioned zombie killin'. I don't need emotional decisions like in Telltale's series; I just need to feel like I'm playing the show.

P.S. you can't drive anything other than Deacon's bike, right? Feel like driving/customising other vehicles would be a fun part of an open/large scale zombie apocalypse game.
Bikes only in the main game, there is some bonus modes they released after the fact and one of them is a crazy taxi style game where your in a suped up golfcart its pretty fun

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I haven't seen much Walking Dead but I think it's a character-based show, rather than plot-based? Days Gone has great zombie action but its secret strength is its surprisingly good characters.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Alright, I went through the full Days Gone cycle.

At one point, I genuinely hated the game for its story. I then hit that undefinable moment where the whole thing sort of clicked and the tempo picked up. I played it for basically 4 days uninterrupted, save a gym visit and meals. I had a week of from work and needed a game to really lose myself in.

The game is honestly 2x as long as it needs to be and the characters can be unlikable... but the emergent gameplay in the open world is really something. I love having my bike break down and having genuinely no idea what will happen as I walk into town to find some gasoline. The action scales up wonderfully.

I just got the platinum. I'm afraid I'll someday discover just how much time I sunk into this game.

Last edited:

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 6 hours into this, and I hate to say it, because I'm a fan of Witwer, but his voice acting as Deacon....it just grates on me big time. He goes from so soft spoken that I have to turn up my headphones, to immediately blasting "BOOMER, YOU THERE, I CLEARED OUT THAT NEST!" It is incredibly aggravating. Every time I drive by a nest to clear out, I get the inevitable "gotta clear out this nest, guess I'll just come back later...." I get the thought of a character doing some inflection, but for some reason, the way it is done here, it constantly just annoys me to no end. Plus the non stop self talking when I get in the zone on sneaking around to take out enemies.

I really like the world, the emergent gameplay is really exciting.

My other small gripe is how often I leave my bike, come back, and its halfway through something and I can't get on it, so I have to trek back to a camp to get a mechanic to fetch it.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Do I need the Platinum headphones to use the 3D audio option or can I just connect some headphones to my dualshock and be good to go?

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Is the mission Just Doing my Job glitched?

It is a mission to clear a mine of anarchists and rescue a person. I enter the mine and kill the first 3 then the mine is completely empty. It says 3 of 14 but there is no one in the mine.

I killed myself to see is that would fix it. That didn't work. I reloaded a autosave and encouraged the same problem.

I haven't done a manual save in 4 hours. I don't want to reload and do everything again if I could avoid it.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Just a question:

There seems to be some aim assist when you aim near an enemy's head, then it locks on.

is it possible to turn this off? I had a look through the game options and such but couldn't find the option.

thanks.

_RT_

Oct 31, 2017
Well.... I knew before buying that run and gun isn't my style. Then a sale hits on PSN and I'm like.... "I should pick this up and check it out....."

Ugh. 738 days gone (if that means anything). Won't battle hordes. Trying the stealth route.
This is going to be a slog.

(I know I will have to fight them at some point).

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Well.... I knew before buying that run and gun isn't my style. Then a sale hits on PSN and I'm like.... "I should pick this up and check it out....."

Ugh. 738 days gone (if that means anything). Won't battle hordes. Trying the stealth route.
This is going to be a slog.

(I know I will have to fight them at some point).

Hordes are near end game stuff. I avoided the hordes until I was asked in missions to destroy them. I also did very little running and gunning. Stealth killed a few and focus and head shot the rest.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Finally started this yesterday after having it on my shelf for a long while....first impressions are how pretty it is,only played through the first intro section and got my ass kicked many times by the first group of newts as I'm playing on hard II difficulty....it's all good though,game world feels dangerous as it should.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Finally started this yesterday after having it on my shelf for a long while....first impressions are how pretty it is,only played through the first intro section and got my ass kicked many times by the first group of newts as I'm playing on hard II difficulty....it's all good though,game world feels dangerous as it should.

Try gyro aiming if you haven't already.

Enjoyed it a lot.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Lead a horde into an enemy encampment for the first time. It was cool to watch the horde just slaughter everyone. Thought it would take longer but they were all killed in like 30 seconds. So much for my plan to use them to put a dent in the horde. They killed maybe 5. I did manage to take out the rest, however, and it was my first horde defeated. Seems like light machine guns and pipe bombs are the way to go there. I also used a few distractors.

Really tense stuff, I enjoyed it. I don't know where to rank this horde in terms of size, but I just barely scraped by. Gonna need some more upgrades.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Credits are rolling right now. What a fantastic game. Gameplay continued to get better as I unlocked skills/weapons, story really gained traction after the beginning section, and I really enjoyed the cast of characters by the end. One of my favorite releases of 2019 by far.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Wrapped up the story last week and the platinum yesterday. Wow, what a great game. I truly don't get the lukewarm reception that this received. Maybe months worth of patches helped my perception of it, but damn, I thought this was one of the best open world action games I've played in a while.
  • The graphics/visuals/art design were amazing, even on my base PS4 and decade old HDTV. Their version of Oregon is wonderfully presented, and abandoned buildings and hideouts (especially the Cloverdale lab) look appropriately lived-in. To me they nailed the 2-years-after-the-apocalypse look.
  • The music was good, especially the end credits, and how the music ramped up when taking down hordes.
  • I like side quests that serve the story, and they did here. A welcomed departure from the the icon vomit and scavenger hunts common in many of today's open world games.
  • Combat was good, especially fighting hordes which was tense as hell, and very fun. Just barely eeking out the Sawmill horde was exhilarating. Stealth worked when it needed to.
  • The acting was good, outside of some odd moments where Deek would start shouting his lines inappropriately.
  • The story was solid, though I would have liked more meat about NERO and the origin of the virus and how it works and is evolving. The personal interactions between characters shine, with moments like SPOILER finally finding Sarah and how they overcame the initial shock and disbelief to rediscover each other and SPOILER Boozer's sacrifice standing out to me as emotionally gripping.
I do agree that it was a tad long in the last third, before the ending. And the "survival wheel" annoyed at times, even up to the end. I lost count of how many times I chucked a pipe bomb instead of a molotov, or crafted a health boost instead of bandages. Thankfully crafting supplies are abundant.

I'll be looking forward to Bend Studio's next effort, and if its DG2 that's perfectly fine with me. A few refinements and I could see a sequel being a generational accomplishment.

Last edited:

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Just about to start the game up, waiting for it to finish downloading. Any tips worth knowing about before jumping in?

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
Just started it too on Tuesday, loving it so far apart from the camera settings. I assume these are fixed in the patches? I can't download them atm as the network in the family room is down and the WiFi at the other end of the house is too weak (60hrs to download a 36gb patch). I did try but game crashed, said Days Gone was corrupted and I needed to delete and reinstall, this was around 7hrs in.

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
Played for around 6-8 hours and even though I love open world games, I'm not digging it yet. Just came to Iron Mike camp for the first time so hopefully it will picks up from there.

Story and flashbacks so far are really disjointed (those black cuts are so annoying). Still want to finish it to completion (and Platinum) but man, I hope it gets better in coming hours.