• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
So I was under the impression that the first hours are the worst part of the game, but after 7 hours or so, the beginning was the best part of what I've played. It's definitely slowed down and I'm getting annoyed at always having to get gas after being stranded. I hope it picks up the pace soon.....

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Having lots of fun but one thing I did not see mentioned in many reviews is the not so great or awkward cut scene direction. I dunno it's strange and jarring at times. Other wise though when in control I'm having lots of fun.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I was under the impression that the first hours are the worst part of the game, but after 7 hours or so, the beginning was the best part of what I've played. It's definitely slowed down and I'm getting annoyed at always having to get gas after being stranded. I hope it picks up the pace soon.....

I have literally never run out of gas. Ever. I'm always able to find gas and keep my tank topped up, usually never letting it dip below 60%.

I seriously don't understand how people are missing the myriad of fuel reserves sprinkled throughout the game world.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I need moar scrap!!!

Seriously, I was at a point where I had no kerosene and couldn't find it anywhere. Now I'm full up and it's all I can find, when all I want is some fucking scrap!!

Everything around Lost Lake has been picked clean (by me).
If you wait a day, all the stuff you can pick repopulates :)

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
If you wait a day, all the stuff you can pick repopulates :)
Car loot doesn't respawn so I can imagine scrap could become hard to come by if somone played long enough to loot every single vehicle in an area. You only get 1 scrap for every scrap you find lying around, but like 4-5 for car scrap.

StealthWraith

Nov 8, 2018
just got the platinum for it still have alot of hordes left though so the skills werent to much of a grind

overall id say i rate the game between a 7-8 i might be a little bias b/c i like 3rd person shooters and love this horror zombie genre, if your into zombies and 3rd person games id give this a go. it kinda felt like a 3rd person version of dying light another under rated game of this gen that game is even more under rated considering it came out yrs ago

some improvements i would like to see get patched or for a sequel would be

a look back button

cutscene to gameplay transions that and the lack of a look back knocked the score by at least 2 points for me

some more enemy types

there should be no end game, hordes and ambush camps should somewhat still spawn after you completed them, hordes is the biggest selling point of this game but none are as big or satisfying as the one you face near the end of the story sawmill

i would like to see more larger complex hordes with bigger set pieces, explosions, even scripted

be able to replay story missions

more of the bigger main story missions instead of the short filler missions going to the dam with rikki, going to college with sara ect

DLed the new 1.08 patch and deleted my older auto saves went from about 900MB to now 360ish seems like it runs better when on bike

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one lost regarding the revelation of the epilogue? I'm not sure exactly what I'm meant to do with this knowledge other than taking it at face value.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Credits roll

And GOD DAMN

WHAT A GAME.....what a game

That credit song is beautiful too. Adding that to a playlist for sure. This games soundtrack definitely deserves a nomination for OST of the year

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Is it necessary to brazenly post spoilers in this thread? At least engage your brain before posting.

I'll edit the post, but absolutely nothing is being spoiled there.

You have my word.

D6z8rh0VsAAsk3f

"They're right behind me, aren't they?"

*freeze frame*
*record scratch*

Yep .. that guy in the hat ? That's me .. you might be wondering how I ended up in this situation.

Oct 27, 2017
If you go back and loot some of the camp job setpieces in areas 4 and 5 (unmarked places that look like camps, settlements, etc.) you can find growlers and such. I spent a whole "day" scavenging to gear up for future horde battles.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
If you go back and loot some of the camp job setpieces in areas 4 and 5 (unmarked places that look like camps, settlements, etc.) you can find growlers and such. I spent a whole "day" scavenging to gear up for future horde battles.

Apparently I'm also finding things like styrofoam cups in Nero check points now, which I cleared long before the game let me start crafting using them. So it's a great idea revisiting them every now and then for supplies too.

The game retroactively stocks those things in older cleared areas.

Oct 27, 2017
Just got to the 4th camp, finished that long first mission concluding with the tour with the Colonel. Holy shit at that twist.

How much do I have left? I feel like I should be 75% through but idk. 60%?

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently I'm also finding things like styrofoam cups in Nero check points now, which I cleared long before the game let me start crafting using them. So it's a great idea revisiting them every now and then for supplies too.

The game retroactively stocks those things in older cleared areas.
Not only that but mines and stuff respawn as well.

Only thing that dont seem to respawn is ammo.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Just got to the 4th camp, finished that long first mission concluding with the tour with the Colonel. Holy shit at that twist.

How much do I have left? I feel like I should be 75% through but idk. 60%?

You're in the 70's, but you still have a good many story things left. Even I haven't finished the story but doing what seem like end-of-game missions .. and I was in the areas you're at now .. around 6 to 8 hours ago (including some side stuff as well).

RE: Hordes and story.
Holy shit, is it just me or are the hordes you have to do for the story missions way more packed than the one's you can seemingly run across ? just cleared the saw mill horde for the story mission. Hot *damn* that was a thrilling encounter.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Absolutely this. I also don't like the way the camera constantly tugs back to looking forwards when on the bike

Yep! My two gripes of the bike riding gameplay. All i can think why both a re present is some technical reason...Is there some streaming issues that would show up if one were to hit R3?...Im sure the next game all these sorts of gripes will be a thing of the past.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Spoiler question about the endgame world state, don't click if you don't want to know the fate of major characters.

Are Sarah and Boozer still physically around in the post-credits endgame? If so, where? Boozer used to sit in front of his lodge with Jack but now he's gone and I can't find Sarah anywhere.

michalmarek77

Nov 14, 2017
Ruda Śląska, Poland
I don't remember any "open world" game in which i had so much, constant, fun.
Even outstanding BotW or GTAV got some quite annoying mechanics and tiresome parts.
Days Gone, above other great things within game, is simply an endless pleasure to play.
I'm couple hours after "that was unexpected" encounter, btw.
Funny, i don't like bikes, doesn't care about big, openworld-ish games, especially with connection to postapocalyptic theme and/or with Zombie-like creatures and yet, i absolutely love and adore "Days Gone".
Damn, it's, in my opinion, second(*) best game made in-house and published by Sony this generation.

P.S. The best is, of course, "Astro Bot".

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Spoiler question about the endgame world state, don't click if you don't want to know the fate of major characters.

Are Sarah and Boozer still physically around in the post-credits endgame? If so, where? Boozer used to sit in front of his lodge with Jack but now he's gone and I can't find Sarah anywhere.

Boozer still sits there, it just depends on the time of day. Unfortunately, Sarah is nowhere to be found and is the one thing that actually really nags me heh.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Boozer still sits there, it just depends on the time of day. Unfortunately, Sarah is nowhere to be found and is the one thing that actually really nags me heh.

Ahh, thanks... yeah, the exclusion of one character is a bit of an oversight.

I think overall this game could have benefited from tighter narrative design - all the separate story elements are artfully done but they come together in clunky and poorly paced ways, especially in the early game and with details such as this.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
If you played The Last of Us, you should be right at home here.

Deacon controls and feels a lot like Joel, from a gameplay standpoint. Craft on the go as needed. When it comes to freakers keep moving! Stay low and stay quiet as you go if you don't think you have the resources or the confidence to take on large groups of freakers. Human enemy camps are always worth checking out and stealth killing your way through. Usually lots of stuff to loot and then a bunker to search for.

Don't be afraid to play at night as the nights are longer than the days and things feel more "lively" after dark. Jobs/missions are also fine at night.

Scrap is your friend. Search every fucking car, pop every hood and every trunk that looks unopened.
Cheers. I loved TLOU so that sounds good

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Am I the only one lost regarding the revelation of the epilogue? I'm not sure exactly what I'm meant to do with this knowledge other than taking it at face value.

Personally I chose to get hyped af, with particular thanks to the dramatic audio.

Go into the menu and read Deacon's summary of the mission. Beyond that, if it's not enough for you, wait for the sequel?

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
So far I've only got 2 bugs on a base PS4. One in a mission where you have to follow Rikki on your bike (for some reason she was going super slow, so I had to restart from a checkpoint) and one where the weird floating head appears.

Aside from that, the severe fps drops when you're on your bike near a camp, but most of the time it seems to run fine. Haven't encountered anything bad, like game breaking bugs or crashes.

Also, fuck screamers.

Oct 25, 2017
Is my game bugged? No missions are popping up for me.

4th/5th camp spoilers:
I just got the red rock stuff out of the cave for the scientist lad.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Ever saw a ******** running? Sweet baby Jeezus, thought the game had glitched. It was some MAMA shit.

Save for bike chase missions, I'm having a good time using this game to unwind stress. Squeezing a couple play hours here and there.

Nov 18, 2018
Just watching the credits roll. What a great game! Definitely a bunch of flaws that can be worked on for a sequel but overall a super fun and satisfying experience. Looking forward to doing the last few post-credits missions, clearing the rest of the hordes and getting the platinum.

When the reviews dropped I regretted my preorder but now I definitely don't. I'm impressed with what Bend have achieved and looking forward to what they do next.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Playing "A plague tale : innocence" right after Days Gone is intriguing on how horde of mutants and horde of rats share something in their "liquid" way to move in group across the space.

Deleted member 51957

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
About 6 hours in and have some dumb Qs if you don't mind...
- is there a fast way to switch between guns to melee that I missed? I don't wanna go to the L1 menu everytime an enemy gets close (also unequipping weapons??)
- I can hold 10 scrap a time. I use them to repair my bike and my weapons.. anything else it is used for? I keep seeing ppl say scrap is super important but haven't seen why yet
- should I be trading everything in for camp trust or saving it all for crafting supplies later on?
- if I clear out nests, do less freakers actually show up in that part of the world? Seems like so.

Thanks!!!

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
- is there a fast way to switch between guns to melee that I missed? I don't wanna go to the L1 menu everytime an enemy gets close (also unequipping weapons??)

Just hit R2 and Deacon will automatically pull out the melee weapon you have equipped (it'll either be the boot knife or a weapon you've picked up).

- I can hold 10 scrap a time. I use them to repair my bike and my weapons.. anything else it is used for? I keep seeing ppl say scrap is super important but haven't seen why yet

Those are the only things it can be used for. It's super important as your bike can get easily damaged early on, and constantly repairing your melee weapon can start to eat away at your scrap real fast.

- should I be trading everything in for camp trust or saving it all for crafting supplies later on?

It's really up to you. Although you might want to hang onto them until you really need credits at a certain camp.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I have literally never run out of gas. Ever. I'm always able to find gas and keep my tank topped up, usually never letting it dip below 60%.

I seriously don't understand how people are missing the myriad of fuel reserves sprinkled throughout the game world.

The way Bend handled the gas system is very good in my opinion.
I mean if you are always looking for gas you are never going to be left on the wild with an empty tank but if you just forget about it you are going to get punished lol
As someone who rides since 13 the bike was something that I was really hoping they could make engaging while fun and not frustrating...and I think they nailed it!

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
- if I clear out nests, do less freakers actually show up in that part of the world? Seems like so.

Thanks!!!
Yep clearing nests makes the area more safe.

Scrap is used for multiple things like bolts as well

Oct 27, 2017
As you earn more recipes, scrap is used in crafting many many things. It is less costly to craft a new baseball bat axe than it is to repair one, if you can.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ! After hours of playing (I am in the third area) I just found out NOW that you can fuel your bike directly at the gas station pump instead of looking for a freaking gas can (spoiler: the lost lake gas station does not have a can)

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Phew, finally finished the story today. I'm wrapping up the post-credits quests now, and with any luck I'll have the Platinum tomorrow, depending on how many Hordes I'll have to fight to get these last five Skill Points. It's been a long ride, and after what must be at least like 60 hours I still think the game is pretty damn mediocre, but I don't regret my time with it.

I grew to really like the characters, and I particularly liked the way the game felt distinctly like a prestige TV show in terms of the way it split itself into Storylines. It's an interesting idea, and I think it paid off really well. I thought it was gimmicky to begin with, but then I realised that the percentage ticker you get as you get deeper into each storyline is a cool way of building the anticipation for the end of that quest line. Once you get to 70-80% you know you're coming up on something big, which I quite liked. I liked that the Storylines would weave in and out of one another, too. I think there's some great storytelling and character moments in here, supported by some excellent voice acting and some of the best facial animation in the business.

Buuuuut, I also think there's some thoroughly average stuff, too. I think the game is straight up bad for like the first fifteen hours, and only really hits its stride once you reach Lost Lake. I think it's pretty solidly great for a while there, but then it loses steam again at the next big transition and for me it never really picked up again. I think the nature of the open world really hurt the storytelling at certain pivotal moments, too. You'd hit a crucial part of the story and then just not come back to it for like ten hours even if you wanted to because the next mission in that Storyline wouldn't be there for you. Then suddenly you'd rush through a new Storyline that could have used more room to breathe.

Days Gone is just too damn long for its own good. Too long, too familiar, and without enough of its own to bring to the table. Fighting the Hordes can be great, but it's endgame content and it might take you 50+ hours to get there with all the upgrades and equipment you want. For those preceeding 49 hours, Days Gone is a perfectly standard open-world Bandit-Camp-'Em-Up, collecting loot to craft molotovs with and XP to work your way through a skill tree that's mostly filler. Mark the enemies, click the 'highlight loot' button, hold the button until the circle fills up. Stealth is rudimentary, gunplay is mediocre, weapons are much of a muchness, enemy AI is subpar; there are just so many other games from the last few years that do all this same stuff, and do it with more interesting gameplay concepts, art styles, themes and settings, or all of the above.

Like I said, I liked the game, and I'm still not done with it, but I still think it's every bit the 7/10 that its Metacritic suggests. I think about how it takes fifteen hours to get going and I wonder, can you really recommend a game that you straight up did not like for that many hours? To stretch the TV show analogy, it's like a show with an entire bad opening season that you just have to suffer through before you get to the good part. Or, to put it another way, can I really recommend fighting through to find the good in Days Gone in a world where The Last of Us exists, which is so similar in look, tone, setting and gameplay, and where you could spend those same 15 hours and probably finish the entire game. And, y'know, have a better time.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Jesus Christ! After hours of playing (I am in the third area) I just found out NOW that you can fuel your bike directly at the gas station pump instead of looking for a freaking gas can (spoiler: the lost lake gas station does not have a can)

Well, 10 hours more and you'll find out you can turn off your bikes light and kick and run doors open.

Also a nice little tip: don't buy ammo if you still have some in your saddle bag. Use the saddle bag to fill your guns and then purchase a saddle bag refill. This is cheaper than buying ammo for your weapon.