• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
How long do corpses stay in the world? A few days ago I killed a wolf and days later it was still there. Could that be affecting performance sort of like how Skyrim destroyed ps3 perf?

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Are there bike upgrades at the militia camp? The icon above the mechanics head says new upgrades available but nothing shows up except repair and refuel.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
How long do corpses stay in the world? A few days ago I killed a wolf and days later it was still there. Could that be affecting performance sort of like how Skyrim destroyed ps3 perf?

From personal experience it's until you loot them and most likely it's the main reason for performance issues especially late in the game.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Played about seven hours of this since last night. I just got to
Iron Mike's camp.

Combat improves like a 1000% once you get the level 2 assault rifle from Tuck's camp. Holy moly. You just mow freakers and bad dudes down.

The gameplay loop is starting to show signs of repetition but I'm still enjoying the game so far. My biggest gripes are that there really isn't much reason to explore (the same like five crafting materials are everywhere) and that a lot of the cutscenes are just...off. Any scene with
past Deacon and Sarah is suuuuuper cringy. Deacon just seems like a creepy stalker in them so far. A lot of scenes with Lisa also seem really awkward and stinted. Am I supposed to care for her character? Because I don't. She's just kinda there. The characters are just okay. Not really attached to anyone yet and kinda found it humorous how Boozer is just hanging out always in the radio. Deacon and him kinda spin around in circles (ha) when they talk. Say the same damn thing over and over.

Nothing beats the rush when you encounter an unexpected horde right in your face. It's a great "oh fuck" moment. Lol.

Is there a way to check playtime? Doesn't appear to even have it in the save info which I thought was weird.

Hoping this will keep me from buying Rage 2 next week but we shall see.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The gameplay loop is probably the game's biggest weakness. Honestly, it reminds me of MMORPGs:

- Go kill marauders
- Take a walk with NPC, ride bike with NPC and kill baddies with NPC
- Destroy zombie nests
- Cutscene, then another cutscene, and if you skip, loading!

I love hordes, but the missions really kill any momentum this game had.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On the last mission and this game design is shitty af honestly. I actually enjoyed anthem more than this tedious game 😪

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
The gameplay loop is probably the game's biggest weakness. Honestly, it reminds me of MMORPGs:

- Go kill marauders
- Destroy zombie nests

I can see how that could happen. I like to use different approaches to keep it fresh. Residue bolts on an enemy can lead to hilarity. Throwing an attractor into an enemy camp with a horde nearby is basically a free camp win. I can't get enough of it.

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny that the game takes such a long time to get you actually ready to fight a horde, and then the first horde you fight...

Well, for me at least it was a close fucking fight. And I used EVERYTHING I had.

You can actually fight them pretty early in the game, the smaller ones aren't too hard if you have an assault rifle and it's day time. I got a dope submachine gun sidearm pretty early on because I killed four hordes for fun. Haven't had to fight a story mode horde yet.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I was worried about killing hordes, but ended up being good at running from them, finding a moment to shoot and killing them. Ended up killing three during the campaign missions and two or three on my own. The first was at the train, without planning to.

The napalm molotovs didn't work as well as promised.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Wait...is this some sort of glitch? I'll go to a horde and then the red health bar doesn't show up. I fight the horde, then when I kill all of them it doesn't show it as complete. Then for some reason the ENTIRE horde fucking respawns at some point in front of me when I've already used up all my ammo.

I'll try to see if rebooting the game works...but I found this super weird.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I was worried about killing hordes, but ended up being good at running from them, finding a moment to shoot and killing them. Ended up killing three during the campaign missions and two or three on my own. The first was at the train, without planning to.

The napalm molotovs didn't work as well as promised.
I dunno, they work pretty good if you catch a big clump of them with it. They can't vaporize a horde on their own, but a few well placed ones can deplete their numbers substantially.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it and loved it.

Like a mix between Last of Us, Far Cry, Walking Dead.

If I had to score it, I'd give it 8/10.

My only real gripe storywise was
Deacon and Sarah, both before and especially after, just never seemed to click. Not sure if it was the writing, acting or average facial animation but they didn't seem like a real couple. Maybe it was intentional, nice girl meets rough guy and their chemistry is always a bit awkward.

It also seemed like for a minute Deacon was about to realise Sarah and her situation wasn't what he wanted, when he radio'd to Rikki about the corn fields, he seemed to miss the camp and almost like he wanted to say something to Rikki.

I loved the world they built, the difficult job of keeping a story going throughout an open world was executed superbly, the graphics (despite some frame drops) are absolutely amazing, the immersive surround sound was brilliant and deserves more attention.

One hell of a debut for an entry into a new franchise. Huge potential ahead.

Oct 27, 2017
Played about seven hours of this since last night. I just got to
Iron Mike's camp.

Combat improves like a 1000% once you get the level 2 assault rifle from Tuck's camp. Holy moly. You just mow freakers and bad dudes down.

The gameplay loop is starting to show signs of repetition but I'm still enjoying the game so far. My biggest gripes are that there really isn't much reason to explore (the same like five crafting materials are everywhere) and that a lot of the cutscenes are just...off. Any scene with
past Deacon and Sarah is suuuuuper cringy. Deacon just seems like a creepy stalker in them so far. A lot of scenes with Lisa also seem really awkward and stinted. Am I supposed to care for her character? Because I don't. She's just kinda there. The characters are just okay. Not really attached to anyone yet and kinda found it humorous how Boozer is just hanging out always in the radio. Deacon and him kinda spin around in circles (ha) when they talk. Say the same damn thing over and over.

Nothing beats the rush when you encounter an unexpected horde right in your face. It's a great "oh fuck" moment. Lol.

Is there a way to check playtime? Doesn't appear to even have it in the save info which I thought was weird.

Hoping this will keep me from buying Rage 2 next week but we shall see.
Things with deacon will begin to make sense later on.

As for running into hordes, for some reason I did a camp job at night. When I was done, I figured I'd stop at a gas station on the way back to camp. When I pull up to the gas station, there's a small horde surrounding the pump. Somehow I got away, and as for gas I rolled to the camp garage on momentum just as the gas ran out.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the credits roll now.

What a great fucking game. I knew it was gonna be something special. Almost sad that it's over, even though I have things left to do.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

considering the prominence of the biker bro thing in the way the game's been promoted from the start, the actual lack of any kind of genuine rapport between deacon & boozer is pretty amazing. neither one ever references anything they've experienced together, or talks about anyone they know, or simply busts the others balls. it's like they met online on some biker forum a month earlier. it's just another case of a game that expects you to 'imagine' a relationship that it doesn't take the time to flesh out itself. that boozer himself is tiresome & completely unlikable is just the frosting on the cake :) ...

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I personally really love how the characters are written in this. Boozer feels like a true friend, the womens are all really good characters with no exception. Really like the chemistry between Deacon and Rikki.

I was really sad when I had to leave them to find Sarah. Just found her and stopped there, totally expecting her to have moved on and to be with the Sergeant now. I get why the reunion between them was like this and I totally expected it to be like this but damn, it made me kind of dislike her. Wouldn't be surprised if she's a total b-word now.

Deacon, my dude, you deserve way better.

Oct 2, 2018
considering the prominence of the biker bro thing in the way the game's been promoted from the start, the actual lack of any kind of genuine rapport between deacon & boozer is pretty amazing. neither one ever references anything they've experienced together, or talks about anyone they know, or simply busts the others balls. it's like they met online on some biker forum a month earlier. it's just another case of a game that expects you to 'imagine' a relationship that it doesn't take the time to flesh out itself. that boozer himself is tiresome & completely unlikable is just the frosting on the cake :) ...

the problem with Boozer + Deacon

is they never really do much together and suddenly boozer is out of the equation and spends the rest of his storyline being a hindrance you have to take care of. Hell they even have you getting a fucking puppy for the loser.

Oct 2, 2018
I personally really love how the characters are written in this. Boozer feels like a true friend, the womens are all really good characters with no exception. Really like the chemistry between Deacon and Rikki.

I was really sad when I had to leave them to find Sarah. Just found her and stopped there, totally expecting her to have moved on and to be with the Sergeant now. I get why the reunion between them was like this and I totally expected it to be like this but damn, it made me kind of dislike her. Wouldn't be surprised if she's a total b-word now.

Deacon, my dude, you deserve way better.

The thing about Rikki and Deacon is:

I was like don't you fucking make the gay character suddenly converted by the power of Deacon's dick

so it's probably a good thing they didnt go there. But that scene in the infirmary was super fucking awkward.

Oct 2, 2018

- Go kill marauders
- Destroy zombie nests

Some of the cutscenes are so bad. There's a few late game where ... I'm like "why can't you fucking FMV this shit."

Cutscene. Loading. Cutscene. Loading . Cutscene.

Hello?! WTF just play 1 long video. FFS instead of making the gamer wait through multiple load screens.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018

I was like don't you fucking make the gay character suddenly converted by the power of Deacon's dick

so it's probably a good thing they didnt go there. But that scene in the infirmary was super fucking awkward.

You do know that bi people exist ? And making her bi didn't change the fact that Addy is gay.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I dunno, they work pretty good if you catch a big clump of them with it. They can't vaporize a horde on their own, but a few well placed ones can deplete their numbers substantially.

My two or three would do some damage but I would still have to kill 75% of the hordes afterwards.

I erred by not unlocking two perks until near end game though. The one that lets you hold extra crafting materials and the one for crafting and carrying double the explosives. I didn't notice them and spent most of the game limited in what I could carry, including just three Molotov's and later two napalm

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
You do know that bi people exist ? And making her bi didn't change the fact that Addy is gay.
Best to just ignore that poster. They've done nothing but complain and misrepresent the game by describing things that are incorrect or questioning things clearly brought up in the game over and over.

We get it, Vices. Maybe stop popping in just to attempt to shit on it with misinformation again and again?

Oct 27, 2017

Actually it was one of the most mature and grown-up scenes from a videogame since, well, ever frankly. Unfortunately it's no surprise that some may misinterpret it.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finishing stuff in the third area now. What an amazing game and I was not going to buy it because of the reviews. It's better than RDR 2 and HZD.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, Weavers napalm molotovs are absolutely insane. I love how effective you become over time against freakers and hordes alike. Reminds me of Dying Light where you start weak but become unstoppable, which nails satisfying progression for me.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Beat the game last night and I'm looking forward to jumping back in, taking out those hordes and clearing out everything I missed.

I could be way off but the way some of the last cutscenes are stitched together makes me think they were originally meant to be modular when the story was still kinda dynamic, so you'd only see conversations with particular characters as a result of your choices. Instead we get Deacon having very similar conversations several times in a row.

Mar 29, 2018
No as far as I know they only improved them.

Surreal. There were def people earlier in the thread saying the hordes were downgraded and disappointing. They are awesome here.
all the things they've put in place to run away from the horde... isn't as good as parking your bike nearby, running up to it and driving away. repeat for win vs horde.
Yeah, you're right, and it sounds about a million times more dull too

Oct 25, 2017
Just rolled credits, l loved the game, didn't want it to end frankly and that's rare when it comes to me and open world games, especially games that are like 50 hrs long. I just felt like this game integrated the story and open world stuff together the best, felt like everything had context which made me want to do side stuff. Also the writing and characters were far better than I expected after reading a few reviews.

Game should have released a few months later though to iron out the framerate, especially in the late game, could have made a difference in my enjoyment near the end. I really think Bend hit on something here and hope they do another one. The atmosphere, the story, and the world are pretty dang good, needs to continue.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Aw man, after a pretty stellar midgame, moving on to the final two camps feels like a step back in tone, characters and emotional investment. Maybe it'll pick up again but this is a good game with some awkward narrative design.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

I recall Deacon himself commenting on how he was surprised when he found out about
rikki and maddie. I can't remember but in my head canon that relationship didn't happen until Deacon and Boozer left the camp.
Haven't finished the game but
Rikki having that work wife chemistry with Deacon and Maddie being immediately jealous implied to me that there was history there even if it might have been more one sided with her knowing Deacon was emotionally unavailable.
I don't think that scene came about randomly and out of left field. Thought it was done pretty well.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018
Surreal. There were def people earlier in the thread saying the hordes were downgraded and disappointing. They are awesome here.

Yeah, you're right, and it sounds about a million times more dull too

but that's the game.

til you get to the end of the game and have enough weaponry to do so - you really can't be fighting the hordes anyhow without running and rolling. The open world hordes have no obstacles you can use to run away from. And in this game as far as I know, only 1 horde fight is built into an environment that presents environmental obstacles that allows you to use racks/shelves/close off the doors and whatnot to fight them and that's at the sawmill.

If you choose to fight them earlier, when you're not high on stamina, focus, health or weaponry - you'll die super quick.

Oct 27, 2017
God I love this game. It's feels so interesting. Just rolling along the road at night and a bear stumbles out of the woods pursued by 4 freakers, they start fighting in the middle of the road, the bear is roaring and mauling them and I stopped to enjoy the action and then got to be 50 freakers come swarming over the hill, engulf the bear and come straight at me, just as a freaker I didn't know about knocks me off my bike; run like the wind Bullseye! Managed to shake the majority but still had 15 or so freakers to deal with and no stamina. It was epic.

And honestly, the graphics blow me away. The textures and lighting and weather are so good. I was just chilling in Sherman enjoying the graphics and it starts to snow. So beautiful.

Last edited:

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
can someone share with me his theories about the secret finale.

here in spoiler tag or directly in the spoiler topic.

i have to talk and listen someone about that scene...

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really like the concept of "this world comes for you" and they really managed to fulfill on that atmosphere better than most open world games.
And there are few things less satisfying than staying in the shadow on the outskirts of a camp while freakers and bandits kill each other, only for a pack of wolves to come and finish it off.
I'm early on in the game, but I'm really enjoying how the story is being told, it's simple but engaging and moves at a good pace

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018

- Go kill marauders
- Destroy zombie nests

but you have a lot of ways to do things...
you can weaponize horde or animals, use residue bolt to turn enemies against each other, rambo approach, stealth approach, melee approach, sniper approach, etc.

a couple of days ago i replicated the e3 2017 demo, i placed a bear-trap into an enemy camp, and then the scream from the victim and the bang from the pistol used by another enemy to kill his comrade because he was making to much noise attract an horde that i knew it was near the camp and you can imagine how it ends for the poor marauders...
what other game let you do tacticts like that?

onestly you have more ways to kill enemies camps compared with other open world like far cry or AC saga.

also the game was always presented like a very story driven open world, so a lot of cutscene are kinda normal...

(sorry for my english)

Mar 29, 2018
but that's the game.

til you get to the end of the game and have enough weaponry to do so - you really can't be fighting the hordes anyhow without running and rolling. The open world hordes have no obstacles you can use to run away from. And in this game as far as I know, only 1 horde fight is built into an environment that presents environmental obstacles that allows you to use racks/shelves/close off the doors and whatnot to fight them and that's at the sawmill.

If you choose to fight them earlier, when you're not high on stamina, focus, health or weaponry - you'll die super quick.
... It's not "the game".

It's the game if you fancy spending ages kiting enemies and subjecting yourself to repetitive, dull action, then sure. It's the game if you choose to play it this way.

I've had a completely opposite experience. I'm about mid-strength at the E3 horde and it's a pretty much perfect level of challenge. If I harness the environment and my few traps perfectly, I can win. If I don't make strong tactical decisions, I lose.

I've handled about 10 other hordes so far and not once did I repeatedly flee them on my bike. I always stayed on foot and agile to get around and lose them and keep picking them off. A couple of times I had to improvise and sneak into nearby towns etc to find supplies for explosives.

Playing the game like this is awesome and thrilling. I don't know why you'd decide to just run and loop on your bike repeatedly when it's a much more dull way to play

Point taken about the other hordes however, and indeed if this is the only horde that's nicely embedded in an environment, that's super disappointing

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
i fucking love days gone and you all know that, but the game even on hard is kinda easy if you have a little skill with tps or stealth game.

resources, gasoline and bullets are everywhere and you can buy it in camps because after the first 5-6 hours you are always rich.

also the stealth with the rocks is op and the improved crossbow with improved crossbow perk literally broke the game until the last hours with a little more resistant enemies.

small and medium hordes are really easy because you can hide in bushes, launch an attractor and then bomb, molotov and chicago chopper their ass like nothing, big hordes are a few and you can use the same tactics plus remote and proximity bombs, just don't panic and you will be okay.

survival mode can come soon enough and it's a shame it wasn't present at launch, the game needs that like bread.

Oct 25, 2017
I find the problem with hordes is I don't have enough ammo to kill all of them. I had to escape from the saw mill once I ran out of all ammo. It was intense. Had to lead the horde away from the bike so I could run to the bike and escape. Can you hold more ammo later in the game? I don't even have remote bombs yet which should be useful against hordes.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I find the problem with hordes is I don't have enough ammo to kill all of them. I had to escape from the saw mill once I ran out of all ammo. It was intense. Had to lead the horde away from the bike so I could run to the bike and escape. Can you hold more ammo later in the game? I don't even have remote bombs yet which should be useful against hordes.

I tend to use pipe bombs, grenades, attractors to aggro the horde and then run them into an area where I've planted mines and remote bombs. I'll only use guns once there are just a handful of zombies left.

The best time to tackle them early/mid game is during the daytime because they will all be in one concentrated area. Plant your mines/bombs then go in to their cave (or where ever else they might hibernate), throw a few grenades/pipe bombs and then lure them all out from there towards where you planted everything.