• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm really, really enjoying the game so far. I didn't have much time to play this weekend, but I sunk about 5=+hours into it, maybe? Love the setting and atmosphere. The controls and gunplay are really good as well.

A fun thing that happened last night: I was sneaking around a small camp, planning my stealth kill strategy for some human enemies, when they started yelling and shooting, and I'm like, "what the hell, how did they spot me?" Apparently, some wolves had wandered into their camp, and they were shooting at them. So I killed the other dudes while the rest were distracted by the wolves, then looted the corpses of everyone left. The wolves were eventually killed by the remaining guys. I love emergent gameplay like that.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Man, many of the review scores were so off base on this game. It's incredible.

The graphics may be the best I've ever seen. The story is excellent and well told. The characters are believable and down to earth (the facial animations are outstanding). The whole bike system is super good. Etc...

Not only is this game infinitely better than a 5-6.5, it's gonna be hard to beat out as my game of the year.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Man, many of the reviews were so off base on this game. It's incredible.

The graphics may be the best I've ever seen. The story is excellent and well told. The characters are believable and down to earth (the facial animations are outstanding). The whole bike system is super good. Etc...

Not only is this game infinitely better than a 5-6.5, it's gonna be hard to beat out as my game of the year.

It's always great when you take a chance on a game critics have slammed and it ends up being amazing. I feel bad for the devs at Bend that had to endure those harsh criticisms and the pressure of being compared to GOW and TLOU. They've created something truly special and I hope word of mouth makes the game successful enough to get a sequel greenlit.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
So what do you do with those snipers. I can't tell when they shoot and they target you from 500m away.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
It's always great when you take a chance on a game critics have slammed and it ends up being amazing. I feel bad for the devs at Bend that had to endure those harsh criticisms and the pressure of being compared to GOW and TLOU. They've created something truly special and I hope word of mouth makes the game successful enough to get a sequel greenlit.
The biggest thing for me is I love the game more, the more I play it. Usually it's the other way around in long games like this. The charcters and story are so realistic and relatable, I can't stop playing.

Oct 31, 2017
HELP:

I forgot how to soften a landing on the bike. They told me hold, but I forgot, and I'm trying to get used to it since I enjoy flying off ramps.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Has the crossbow been nerfed in one of the patches?

I used the pre-order (I think) crossbow and it would always one hit kill regardless of hit location, now the basic zombies seem to shrug off chest shots and the weird blue bolts have zero effect, as in their special effect just does not activate.

Is the DLC crossbow borked perhaps?

On the plus side, hiding in a shrub and watching the wandering horde you bumped into drown an ambush camp is pretty sick.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Anyone else stealthing their way through the game? I'm constantly hopping from bush to bush in this game and I love it. I don't have any space in my inventory because I'm not using anything. I can spend so much time hidden in a bush.

I'm never going to finish this game.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria

I used the pre-order (I think) crossbow and it would always one hit kill regardless of hit location, now the basic zombies seem to shrug off chest shots and the weird blue bolts have zero effect, as in their special effect just does not activate.

On the plus side, hiding in a shrub and watching the wandering horde you bumped into drown an ambush camp is pretty sick.

I started playing on 1.0.3 and the crossbow only one hit when it was a headshot. That was with standard arrows, as I have not unlocked any at that time.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I started playing on 1.0.3 and the crossbow only one hit when it was a headshot. That was with standard arrows, as I have not unlocked any at that time.
Really?

I was snagging these things by their shoelaces and dropping them. Believe me, my fine motor skills are not suited to the aiming in this game.

EDIT: Looked regarding patch stuff online, one or two threads on other sites with inconsistent remarks about damage, but no idea.

Last edited:

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Headshots have always been the only one-hit kill location for me with the crossbow.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Headshots have always been the only one-hit kill location for me with the crossbow.
Weird. Maybe it's just a combo of the OP DLC crossbow, difficulty level and distance?

Most of my crossbow antics were done whilst running away and shooting at the chasing zombies, that's why I was disregarding head shots/fine aim for myself.

Hm...I'll have to have another look.

Still doesn't explain the blue bolts just having zero effect though

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Finally took out my first horde. The one in White King Mine. Waited till they all went out at night, snuck into the mine to get all the stuff and then laid a proximity mine on the bridge that they needed to cross to get back and waited with some grenades/Molotovs. Nice and easy.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Does the new patch address the unnecessary multiple auto-saves? Seems like it would be far more efficient to just overwrite a singular autosave each time.
They seem to be working on that

Hey guys! We are so glad you guys joined us for the launch week of Days Gone. This patch includes some fixes and our team is focusing on the dropped audio bug along with the multiple save issue some of you are experiencing
https://www.reddit.com/r/DaysGone/comments/bidc22/days_gone_105_patch_notes/

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Man, many of the review scores were so off base on this game. It's incredible.

Agreed.

It's like most of the review outlets had a grudge against this game or something and the reviews that are giving it piss-poor scores like sub-5's and such; like what the fuck?? What game did they play??
Excellent!

Thank you :)

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Weird. Maybe it's just a combo of the OP DLC crossbow, difficulty level and distance?

Most of my crossbow antics were done whilst running away and shooting at the chasing zombies, that's why I was disregarding head shots/fine aim for myself.

Hm...I'll have to have another look.

Still doesn't explain the blue bolts just having zero effect though
I've been using that crossbow and playing on Hard, but maybe so. The blue bolts have always worked for me, too.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
After playing this for a few hours yesterday I can safely say it's better than what most of the reviews made it out to be, and the variety of ways you can tackle encounters is nice, though I'm finding the combat itself just not very satisfying from a control and reactivity standpoint. By reactivity I mean things like hit decals on zombies (shot a zombie point blank in the head and not even a simple blood spatter effect). It's a bit jarring coming off World War Z that has this detailed dismemberment system where you can really see the effect of where each bullet hits. There's just a sort of floaty disconnect where the weapons lack the oomph I want them to have in terms of both sounds and enemy reaction. The melee animations and kills are pretty satisfying though.

Game is certainly aces at the realistic art style yet somehow manages to look sort of bland overall, as one that's no stranger to PNW climes the muted palette is to be expected in a rainy deciduous environment, but the overall world presentation is a bit lacking. It feels more Ubi layout style wrt camps and other locations rather than a more seamless, organic looking forested region. I guess RDR2 spoiled the shit out of us on that front (though base gameplay is certainly more enjoyable in DG). I guess it doesn't help that there feels like there's almost no down time for pure exploration and there's always some jackass barking at you through your radio, and you can't drive more than half a minute without getting popups for 'clear out x location 0/9' or whatever your next task is. It feels too cluttered. It's like damn Bend let your game breathe a minute with the player, this shit don't have to feel like work.

I know I'm mostly harping on it but it is more in depth than I initially expected and other comparisons to certain aspects of MGSV feel appropriate, if only the controls felt as nice. I'll tackle it more later on today.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Still loving the game. I'm taking a melee heavy approach so far (although I somehow lost my favorite machete despite keeping it repaired). I use the crossbow a lot as well, and really enjoy turning enemies against each other!

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
After playing this for a few hours yesterday I can safely say it's better than what most of the reviews made it out to be, and the variety of ways you can tackle encounters is nice, though I'm finding the combat itself just not very satisfying from a control and reactivity standpoint. By reactivity I mean things like hit decals on zombies (shot a zombie point blank in the head and not even a simple blood spatter effect). It's a bit jarring coming off World War Z that has this detailed dismemberment system where you can really see the effect of where each bullet hits. There's just a sort of floaty disconnect where the weapons lack the oomph I want them to have in terms of both sounds and enemy reaction. The melee animations and kills are pretty satisfying though.

Game is certainly aces at the realistic art style yet somehow manages to look sort of bland overall, as one that's no stranger to PNW climes the muted palette is to be expected in a rainy deciduous environment, but the overall world presentation is a bit lacking. It feels more Ubi layout style wrt camps and other locations rather than a more seamless, organic looking forested region. I guess RDR2 spoiled the shit out of us on that front (though base gameplay is certainly more enjoyable in DG). I guess it doesn't help that there feels like there's almost no down time for pure exploration and there's always some jackass barking at you through your radio, and you can't drive more than half a minute without getting popups for 'clear out x location 0/9' or whatever your next task is. It feels too cluttered. It's like damn Bend let your game breathe a minute with the player, this shit don't have to feel like work.

I know I'm mostly harping on it but it is more in depth than I initially expected and other comparisons to certain aspects of MGSV feel appropriate, if only the controls felt as nice. I'll tackle it more later on today.

I agree with a lot of what you said. Particularly when you're just trying to explore and you think you're in the clear, and then some freakers spawn and you have to either engage them or bolt from the area.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Bruh, this game is intense during the night.

Spent a good chunck of my resources fighting wolves and zombies at once while trying to jump over to the NERO center over the cliff. Why the hell are they buddying up against Deacon anyway?

So be it, decided to Look for another NERO checkpoint to rest until the day, but what do you know, it's freakin occupied by striders, just after I cleared it off the rippers during the day! Well, that was the end of Deacon.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Finally got the game. Currently downloading the patch 1.0.5 (supposedly 19.65 or so GB??? I thought it was supposed to be bigger). Gonna play when I get home from college

The achievements for reaching different skill levels are just Queen lyrics:

Don't Stop Me Now
I'm Out of Control
There's No Stopping Me
Mr. Fahrenheit
Ok, now I love Bend even more.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
So, anyone have any ideas what happened to this game in development? I just did the first Sara flashback, and I felt like I was watching a YouTube video were they splice all cut scene from a game together. It looks like there was originally game play moments that they cut out and then just edited the story beats from that part together. I really like the gameplay but if the rest of the scenes are going to be like that I'm going to stop playing, I'm thinking they had a issue with feature creep.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
So, anyone have any ideas what happened to this game in development? I just did the first Sara flashback, and I felt like I was watching a YouTube video were they splice all cut scene from a game together. It looks like there was originally game play moments that they cut out and then just edited the story beats from that part together. I really like the gameplay but if the rest of the scenes are going to be like that I'm going to stop playing, I'm thinking they had a issue with feature creep.

No, the first cutscene is an exception in this game (you'll find out more later on). I'm about 8-10 hours in and I haven't seen similar jumps yet.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018

So far there are definitely some weird "shouldn't this be gameplay" moments that are kind of jarring when they just skip.
BUT there is so much gameplay in the open world, I quickly get over it myself. :)

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

I know which scene you're talking about. That one was jarringly put together. There was probably some cut content in between or something. The rest of the scenes are fine.

The game used to have player choices that got removed late in development. Maybe that's why.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
So far I love this game. I gave yet to encounter a bug. Bike controls aren't really good but you get used to it... Other than that, the initial loading was kind of off putting and so were the other load screens during the intro. Had to adjust the volume equalizers to hear something (voice 10, sfx 7, music 6).

time-space

Oct 27, 2017
I just got off a two day binge playing this game. I wasn't really impressed by it during the first couple of hours, but the more you play it the better it gets. The world just draws you in. All this talk about this game being generic, but I can honestly say that I never played anything like it. Sure the gameplay mechanics are familiar. However, if you take the whole package for what it is, it's pretty unique and interesting. It's basically an open world The Walking Dead the video game.

tanky

Banned
Apr 2, 2019
Sure.
I meant the meet cute scene, where they meet for the first time. It's just so strange - Deacon trying to flip the script and instead of offering help asking for directions, then letting her ask for a ride. Of course they did not avoid the oldest of cliches - "what is a nice girl like you doing here?". Then the strange talk about Sarah's work ("I study plants, some of them are pretty rare and they happen to grow here." "That is the best thing I've ever heard".)

And then there's the rednecks (the only one whose name we get is "Cletus", others are credited as "Redneck" in the subtitles). I mean Deacon is from Farewell, aren't these guys his neighbors? Shouldn't he be named Cletus, too? Instead of talking shit out, or just saying pretty much anything to each other, they immediately proceed to fight. And then city girl Sarah thinks it's a good idea to whip out a gun and try to scare off a bunch of completely stereotypical rednecks in pickups and Confederate flag caps. If we followed the stereotype, those guys would definitely have guns of their own and that would've ended very badly for our plant researcher.

I guess I'm just triggered but how awkward, cringy and/or stupid that flashback is at times. Which is fine, there is a lot of cringy, awkward and stupid cutscenes and dialogue in video games and media in general, but I did kind of hope this game would be more clever.
I'll address your points in order:
  • He's flirting with her, that's why he didn't just go straight for a "you need a ride."
  • The cliche was clearly said ironically.
  • I agree that his "that's the best thing I ever heard" wasn't a well written response, but justifying Sarah being where she is kind of necessitates exploring her background.
  • I don't understand. So, because Deacon is from one location, everyone who resides there.. should also be the same?
  • Surprise: not everyone is civil and talk things out. Surely the men stealing Sarah's car want to engage in a debate with Deacon, right? Come on.
  • It was a good idea for Sarah to pull out Deacon's gun, he was getting ganged up on and beaten down. What's the problem?
  • If the rednecks had a gun then that'd lead to a shootout. A shootout would defeat the purpose of that scene. Maybe Bend should have written a better scenario, but that's not something I'm going to get hung up on. This is called suspension of disbelief.
That still doesn't explain why you'd question the age of somone who did enjoy the majority of these interactions. I find that offensive and your reasoning weak. Whatever.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'll address your points in order:
  • He's flirting with her, that's why he didn't just go straight for a "you need a ride."
  • The cliche was clearly said ironically.
  • I agree that his "that's the best thing I ever heard" wasn't a well written response, but justifying Sarah being where she is kind of necessitates exploring her background.
  • I don't understand. So, because Deacon is from one location, everyone who resides there.. should also be the same?
  • Surprise: not everyone is civil and talk things out. Surely the men stealing Sarah's car want to engage in a debate with Deacon, right? Come on.
  • It was a good idea for Sarah to pull out Deacon's gun, he was getting ganged up on and beaten down. What's the problem?
  • If the rednecks had a gun then that'd lead to a shootout. A shootout would defeat the purpose of that scene. Maybe Bend should have written a better scenario, but that's not something I'm going to get hung up on. This is called suspension of disbelief.
That still doesn't explain why you'd question the age of somone who did enjoy the majority of these interactions. I find that offensive and your reasoning weak. Whatever.

Yeah, let's agree to disagree on most of these, but specifically on your notion that escalating a conflict by pulling a firearm is a fantastic idea, doubly so when you clearly have no experience using one.
(also with my "what grown up thought this was cool", I was referring to the people writing that scene, but I guess now I know?)

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I faced a bug yesterday that left the game practically unplayable, the framerate lowered to something around 8 ~ 12. Probably because I had left the console on standby a few hours earlier with the game running.

Had to restart the console to fix it.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Agreed.

It's like most of the review outlets had a grudge against this game or something and the reviews that are giving it piss-poor scores like sub-5's and such; like what the fuck?? What game did they play??
That's the question I ask every time I play the game - what fucking game did they play, because Days Gone is incredible. lol

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
user reviews are now at 8 on MC. This is one of the few examples where user reviews are better than official reviews

user reviews can´t be taken seriously though, there are enough fanboys going like "fuck reviews. this game is a 10!" as there are people going like "fuck this game! 0/10"

never rely on user reviews and never rely on normal reviews, just play a game and if you like it, good, if not, also good. it is highly subjective, what one person likes about a game another person will hate it

for me the game is a 7 at best, too many things that could be much better and it does just nothing really great, it is ok-good, has its moments but too many things are just not done in a great way. it is really the Mafia III of 2019 so far, was also an ok-good game which was fun but nothing mindblowing or really well done.