• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I can't figure out how to repair with scrap. I know that I'm carrying 10 scrap and I have an axe that I've used about four times that I'd like to keep for a while but when I hold L1 and press/hold R2 nothing happens.

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Finally got a chance to play tonight, played a handful of missions but man something about the game hasn't clicked so far. I don't know if it's the controls or something, but I'm just kinda eh about it so far.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Decided to play on hard. I just ran out of gas, ends up right next to a horde location lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Just started, got the new bike and holy shit this game is gorgeous. HDR looks great

Is it better to quick save at bike or manual save in menu?

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Dashing through an area, tossing molotovs at nests and running, eventually getting an entire horde on my tail, running out of stamina and gasping for breath, barely making it back to the bike and peeling out an instant before being submerged...this game definitely has its moments of greatness.

Feb 23, 2019
This game is really, really good. Feels like an open world TLOU.

Graphics are surprisingly outstanding. The youtube quality videos do not do it justice.

Really happy that Bend managed to go from portable games to the big time on PS4. Really impressed, and hope the game sells well so the studio continues to make great strides, despite the reviews which (imo) don't do this game justice for what it deserves.

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
I can't figure out how to repair with scrap. I know that I'm carrying 10 scrap and I have an axe that I've used about four times that I'd like to keep for a while but when I hold L1 and press/hold R2 nothing happens.

I'm asssuming you mean repairing melee weapons. The menu for that is a bit unresponsive. You basically need to point the analog stick up towards the melee weapon slot for a decent amount of time, then the menu options for repairing will actually show up and you can do it.

Edit: Also there might be some restrictions as to what you can repair, but I'm not sure about that. I've never bothered using it on non-crafted weapons as they seem generally superior.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for confirming. I will go with it is unlimited for now.
I just unlocked that skill as I had a great machete that came in handy for clearing out nests, and it took me a while to figure out. Basically you have to hold down R2 for quite some time. Takes a second or two longer than it does to craft and the circle for your progress is on the middle-left hand side of the UI pretty big. With that said I feel like it did not work right away, I kept getting a message about at Max Durability, but once I tried it like the 4th time it worked. Hope that helps.

Speaking of clearing out nests, I mistakenly had it backwards and thought it was easier at night. I quickly found it is much better to attempt during the day. And sure enough the game popped up a tip for me on a load screen.

So I got to play about another 90 minutes just now, so I am about 3 hours in. Absolutely digging the game myself. It is exactly what I expected it to be. TLOU meets GTA meets Metal Gear.

I get the subject matter or story may not be everyone's cup of tea, but to say this is a bad game from a gameplay perspective, I just do not get that stance myself. I have played pretty much every open world game since the inception of the genre, and while there is no argument from me it is not breaking any new ground, in fact I would say it borrows heavily from some of the better known and respected games in the genre, it is a pretty damn cohesive package overall. Everything it does it does damn good. My biggest critique would be the floaty controls of the bike riding, but I got used to them pretty quick so it is not an issue, just wish it was a bit tighter.

I think the fact Sony has had such an amazing run with their first party releases and the fact it is a brand new IP means it is more under the microscope than other releases.

Then again, the above two paragraphs are all my opinion. I no doubt recognize this fact.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Not really digging how the bike controls. Sure I've gotten used to it, but it doesn't feel fun. Idk, i'm barely a few hours in. The story hasn't grabbed me yet but i've barely made a dent it seems. I also can't really tell what kind of guy Deacon is. Outside of cutscenes, the dude seems to be losing his god damn mind, lol.

Oct 27, 2017
First game on ps4 i've seen where you manually save a game and there is no acknowledgement "game saved" message. Had to go back and check for sure. Game needs a qol pass.

Having said that, it looks great, and runs fine on base ps4 so far. The first few glimpses of the hordes are neat, and the kids are scary as hell. Game mechanics are fine, but the fade-in fade-out of cutscene to and from the open world adds pauses to the tempo of the game. All open-area open-world games are susceptible to ill-timed transitions, but other games have made strides in smoothing this out. This type of tempo may have been more suited to Golden Abyss than an open-world game.

As for Deacon and Boozer at the start, the opening is confusing, the way they react to everything, and not sure if Deacon is the sanest guide through this world at the start. Needs a more immediate emotional hook, mc culture isn't immediately familiar to many, and the bend region of oregon in the game deserves a grander introduction.

Also, why is the UI pushed so far to the corners of the screen? Why is walking dialogue called "optional dialogue" when it surely is meant to be heard/read? I'm sure these things will be addressed in the coming weeks.

Oct 25, 2017
A couple hours in and I really like it. I don't know if that will continue throughout, but so far I think it's great. I just got to NERO camp and didn't notice there was a horde right next to it hiding out in some trains, so exhilarating fighting them even though I basically had no chance lol.

Edit: Holy crap I actually did it, I managed to kill the horde, it was a tiny one of about 60 swarmers, but I only had like 10 bullets and couple grenades. Can't wait to get to the massive ones, that was intense.

Last edited:

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Totally loving the photo mode in this game, so many options to play with.
hMbwvaP.jpg

skwzWdo.jpg

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
As for Deacon and Boozer at the start, the opening is confusing, the way they react to everything, and not sure if Deacon is the sanest guide through this world at the start. Needs a more immediate emotional hook, mc culture isn't immediately familiar to many, and the bend region of oregon in the game deserves a grander introduction.

This 100%. I'm really enjoying the game but the intro does a terrible job of setting up exposition. Before you know you see a horde and the game just says "yeah that's a thing now".

Oct 25, 2017
It's difficult to find anything to like about this game at the moment. Early days yet, so I'm hoping this isn't something I end up deleting soon.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
the game is just annoying at this point...drive around, no gas again, walk around get some gas, "oh, a horde!" killing a few from the horde, running out of ammo, getting more ammo, get back to the point, kill a few more from the horde, no ammo, oh, the gas is low again...argh

this is just not entertaining. besides that, it is like an older Ubisoft game from the Watch Dogs era, this is all super standard open world stuff where no real surprises happen, they tell you before what you have to do (liberate a camp, a checkpoint...yawn). They tried to marry a heavy storytelling aspect with the gameplay like Mafia 3 tried but the story is not gripping. i don´t even know why these two guys are biker, they could also be some normal guys, the game gains nothing from the whoke "biker gang" angle.

the fans of the Pro are in jet engine mode so often in this game, it is really annoying. the unlocked framerate map in Sony games is awful at this point, first Horizon, then God of War and now this game...is this made to fry the PS4 or what is up with that stuff? highly baffling that they do this in their own games...

will continue but well, this game does just nothing really great or interesting,

Apr 8, 2018
Might be a little nit-picky, but does anyone else find it kinda odd/annoying how doors automatically close whenever you wander a bit away from them? I noticed this happening whenever I was exploring/looting Crazy Willie's earlier.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
After playing this for about 6 hours, it is really a great open world zombie game. Love the combat and gameplay mechanics, and the story is unfolding very nicely.

I have to say though that I want to see a Days Gone 2 take place in an urban area like a large city full of freakers.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Does anybody know if gas cans respawn at Nero checkpoints when your accidentally shoot them?

Dphex I ran out of gas one time in 6 hours. You should plan your trips better and gas up in time.

Do I just need to plug any headphone to ds4 controller to get 3d audio?

No. You need the Platinum headphones.

Last edited:

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well atleast the photo mode looks lovely. Can pretty much guarantee that Sony first party games have amazing graphics.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
the game is just annoying at this point...drive around, no gas again, walk around get some gas, "oh, a horde!" killing a few from the horde, running out of ammo, getting more ammo, get back to the point, kill a few more from the horde, no ammo, oh, the gas is low again...argh

this is just not entertaining. besides that, it is like an older Ubisoft game from the Watch Dogs era, this is all super standard open world stuff where no real surprises happen, they tell you before what you have to do (liberate a camp, a checkpoint...yawn). They tried to marry a heavy storytelling aspect with the gameplay like Mafia 3 tried but the story is not gripping. i don´t even know why these two guys are biker, they could also be some normal guys, the game gains nothing from the whoke "biker gang" angle.

the fans of the Pro are in jet engine mode so often in this game, it is really annoying. the unlocked framerate map in Sony games is awful at this point, first Horizon, then God of War and now this game...is this made to fry the PS4 or what is up with that stuff? highly baffling that they do this in their own games...

will continue but well, this game does just nothing really great or interesting,
This has been my experience.

I did that quest where you pick up Leon's supply drop from the cemetery. Where the hell do I take it? It's been in the back of my bike for several missions now.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
I feel like the bike burns gas too fast, even after upgrading it once. Why wouldn't Deacon strap a spare can to the back of his bike?

I feel like I keep needing to stop, go home and get more gas which breaks up the flow quite a bit.
Just to confirm, gas at the main home base is unlimited correct?
Decided to play on hard. I just ran out of gas, ends up right next to a horde location lol.
you can find those red gas container laying around in either small town or near bunch of vehicles to refill your tank. both the gas station and red gas container is unlimited fuel

for me i always manage to find gas to top up my tank when I go explore an area. the only time i had to go back home was that i didnt want to roam around at night, so i head back base to zzz and save.

im not having any save issues tjat ppl are talking about. maybe ppl assume quicksave = pernament save so when they turn off ps4 and load game, the loaded save its not the quicksave.
if you are turning off ps4, make sure to use the pause menu to save and not the hold triangle for quicksave.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This has been my experience.

I did that quest where you pick up Leon's supply drop from the cemetery. Where the hell do I take it? It's been in the back of my bike for several missions now.

Take it where the game tells you? You pick up the stash and then the marker changes to a new settlement further away and tells you to go there.

I will say the bike uses far too much fuel initially, it's a tank every kilometre or so which is just silly. Once you buy the first upgrade it gets a lot more manageable but I'm finding it makes setting out a lot more of an event, you have to consider how much fuel you have, the route etc. I will also say that the yellow route wayfinding is rubbish, it consistently tells you the wierdest way to go.

As for ammo, I'm swimming in the stuff. It's everywhere and if you're vaguely careful about conservation (melee, stealth etc) then it's easier to conserve. I like the limited resources, gives it a survival horror vibe.

So far, I'm not seeing a fair few of the complaints.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Take it where the game tells you? You pick up the stash and then the marker changes to a new settlement further away and tells you to go there.

I will say the bike uses far too much fuel initially, it's a tank every kilometre or so which is just silly. Once you buy the first upgrade it gets a lot more manageable but I'm finding it makes setting out a lot more of an event, you have to consider how much fuel you have, the route etc. I will also say that the yellow route wayfinding is rubbish, it consistently tells you the wierdest way to go.

As for ammo, I'm swimming in the stuff. It's everywhere and if you're vaguely careful about conservation (melee, stealth etc) then it's easier to conserve. I like the limited resources, gives it a survival horror vibe.

So far, I'm not seeing a fair few of the complaints.
The game has never clearly told me where to take it. Is it that far west waypoint?

Oct 27, 2017
The game has never clearly told me where to take it. Is it that far west waypoint?

It should be somewhere about 1.5km away called Hot Springs (to find someone called Tucker). It threw me initially too for a second, I was expecting to take it back to Cope but it becomes clear if you just follow the marker. The motivations for why you have to go there instead of Cope could be better explained I'd say, but if you bear in mind that Deek knows the area and a lot of the people in the settlements already it's less jarring to find yourself trundling around the map with less explanation.

Some of the review complaints are definitely off to me. One of the complaints in the Eurogamer's review was the reviewer didn't know who the rippers were, but not everything needs to be explained. One of the very early lines of dialogue when you first start mentions the rippers and basically establishes them as a threat in this world without letting on who it what they are until slightly later.

One review mentioned not being able to find an underground bunker for too long and called it bad design, but if it's the mission I'm thinking of the bunker is fucking highlighted and pretty obvious. I found it in about 30 seconds.

This is a good game. It has its flaws, but it's a solid 8/10

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
General thoughts;

- Corpses seem to hang around for ages. There are some bodies still lying where I killed them hours ago.

- The Freakers are fantastic. They look great, they move well and sound creepy, they're fun to fight.

- The sound is really good. I'm only using a soundbar but it seems really nuanced. Makes me want headphones!

- Killing Newts is sad :(

- I'll keep bleating this from the hilltops, but the texture work is just phenomenal at times.

- Blood pools from dead bodies are shit, they look so jarring on the stellar texture work.

- Does it actually rain this much in Oregon? Not a problem, the rain looks brilliant and sounds lovely, but it does seem to rain a looooooot.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll ask once more.

I can't get my game to install.

When I insert my disc, a 19GB patch for 1.04 downloads 100% and then starts to copy before hanging

When I go to the app on menu, I press x and it says the updating application 1.00 which is a 13ish GB download that hangs at 8GB

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Played for an hour or so. Loving it so far. Graphics are really good, gunplay is better than I expected and the atmosphere is great. Need to play more though, but first impressions are positive. I really, really hope this game will sell cuz they really need to develop this new IP on PS5 with a bigger team and a bigger budget.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
I thought the cutscene transitioning in Spiderman was sub par but this is on another level of bad. I'm surprised Sony doesn't get someone from Naughty Dog to help their other studios with stuff like this, would make a big difference considering they're pushing the cinematic experience in most of their games.

It's their first console game in a while + it's a rather small team. I guess they had to make compromises.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
I've got ambushed and lost all my shit. I was supposed to get my stuff back, but couldn't find it in the bandit camp they've put me to :/

Oct 27, 2017
General thoughts;

- Corpses seem to hang around for ages. There are some bodies still lying where I killed them hours ago.

- The Freakers are fantastic. They look great, they move well and sound creepy, they're fun to fight.

- The sound is really good. I'm only using a soundbar but it seems really nuanced. Makes me want headphones!

- Killing Newts is sad :(

- I'll keep bleating this from the hilltops, but the texture work is just phenomenal at times.

- Blood pools from dead bodies are shit, they look so jarring on the stellar texture work.

- Does it actually rain this much in Oregon? Not a problem, the rain looks brilliant and sounds lovely, but it does seem to rain a looooooot.
Idk about Oregon but doesn't Seattle get more rainy days than non rainy days or almost an even amount?

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Self quote. Figured it out J 0 E Manny at Copeland's camp now has the "Custom Accents" in the Decals menu. I see 5 total right now. I didn't see them there the first time I was at his camp, so either it is progress based (just turned in Leon's suppy cache) or I missed it.
I figured the skill + special weapon, don't remember finding Manny's custom decals, I'll check today

thanks