• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
After playing for just an hour, I can see some parts of why it got lower reviews. It's really unfortunate, but even the basic control didn't feel good. Moving around and controlling the camera didnt feel good and I think that is crucial in open world game like this. People like to complain about the repetitive nature of open world games. Horizon, Spider-Man, Far Cry etc have pretty repetitive mission structure. But I never have a problem because the core gameplay of just moving around and combat feels great. Those repetitive structure are just opportunity to do more of what I like.

Even Red Dead with it's sluggish control, the way it lock aim to someone body and manually moving it up for a headshot feel precise and satisfying.

I'm still very early and haven't even play horde fight yet, but it will be though to force myself playing if I can't get used to the control.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
After playing for just an hour, I can see some parts of why it got lower reviews. It's really unfortunate, but even the basic control didn't feel good. Moving around and controlling the camera didnt feel good and I think that is crucial in open world game like this. People like to complain about the repetitive nature of open world games. Horizon, Spider-Man, Far Cry etc have pretty repetitive mission structure. But I never have a problem because the core gameplay of just moving around and combat feels great. Those repetitive structure are just opportunity to do more of what I like.

Even Red Dead with it's sluggish control, the way it lock aim to someone body and manually moving it up for a headshot feel precise and satisfying.

I'm still very early and haven't even play horde fight yet, but it will be though to force myself playing if I can't get used to the control.
Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity?

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Did the 1.04 patch fix some of the worst bugs or the performance on base PS4?

I've been having a pretty smooth experience so far (about 5 hours in). Some texture pop-in while riding the bike, that's about it.

You can turn on aim snap in the options menu, it works basically the same way.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Managed to just play the opening bit before I have to go to bed. Looks and feels pretty good. Ran into 1 glitch that caused me to have to restart one scene but it didn't ruin much for me.

Coming from playing The Division 2 with its janky-ass teleporting enemies, the few enemies I faced so far feel like a step up. I think I'm gonna enjoy taking the stealthy approach in this game and got a few days to soak it in now. Let's see how it goes!

Last edited:

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Well... despite one texture not loading right at the first scene... this game is a looker. Played for 2 hours and... its exactly like Far Cry but with bikes (and boy do they feel good to drive).

Far Cry also gets pretty repetitive but it is fun as hell to play.

I think this game got a backlash for not having the day one patch. And I seriously despise this arrogant criticism for playing a game before it should be played. 1.04 was released before the game launch. Anything before this being criticized is ridiculous.

(I'm speaking for my experience in 2 hours. Not a single frame drop or bug found in gameplay).

Just one cutscene triggered Deacon holding his gun with one arm, my last gun was the AK 47, while the Cutcene was recorded with the pistol in mind. It was strange to hold one AK 47 with one hand while aiming, but not broken.

Haelsly

Oct 25, 2017
God, I've still got another four hours before this 1.04 patch finishes downloading. Such a bummer. :(

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Played a few hours tonight and I have to say I'm a fan. Not terribly surprised since I usually like open-world games. Certain things, like the item-collection and crafting feel pretty similar to The Last of Us.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really don't like the "Detective vision". I feel like I have to use it almost ever 30 seconds to find out whats lootable. I at least wish you could off the piss colored filter every time you use it.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity?
I did increase the sensitivity, but I still have problem simply aiming the head of a single freaker coming at me

I've been having a pretty smooth experience so far (about 5 hours in). Some texture pop-in while riding the bike, that's about it.
You can turn on aim snap in the options menu, it works basically the same way.
yeah, I probably will try aim snap if I can't get used to the aiming. I really shouldn't have to.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I did increase the sensitivity, but I still have problem simply aiming the head of a single freaker coming at me

yeah, I probably will try aim snap if I can't get used to the aiming. I really shouldn't have to.

Just out of interest, are you on a Pro? I'm usually pretty sensitive to input lag (found RDR2 almost unplayable) and it feels pretty minor to me on base PS4.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
I think this game got a backlash for not having the day one patch. And I seriously despise this arrogant criticism for playing a game before it should be played. 1.04 was released before the game launch. Anything before this being criticized is ridiculous.
I'm sorry but patch 1.04 was dropped literally a few hours before embargo drop. It is completely unreasonable to expect reviewers to keep waiting for new patches that might fix things before starting their playthrough. In the two weeks reviewers have had the game, a total of four patches have been released and there will undoubtedly be more patches coming. There will never be a "right" moment to review the game, as long as publishers keep releasing a game before they've finished ironing out major technical issues. This one is on Sony/Bend.

(And even with patch 1.04 I still had Deacon going for an air swim making him completely unresponsive and having to reload the game yesterday)

I say that as someone who loves the game btw.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but patch 1.04 was dropped literally a few hours before embargo drop. It is completely unreasonable to expect reviewers to keep waiting for new patches that might fix things before starting their playthrough. In the two weeks reviewers have had the game, a total of four patches have been released and there will undoubtedly be more patches coming. There will never be a "right" moment to review the game, as long as publishers keep releasing a game before they've finished ironing out major technical issues. This one is on Sony/Bend.

(And even with patch 1.04 I still had Deacon going for an air swim making him completely unresponsive and having to reload the game yesterday)

I say that as someone who loves the game btw.
Yeah I have no issues with this I am just glad they are releasing patches fast even before the game was release.

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
looking at the gameplay - the baseball bat is literally just sticking to Decon's back?, no holster, tape or anything?, literally just stuck like velcro?

Last edited:

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
So this issue seems to have been fixed
It doesn't slow down to 18fps. You're talking about a stutter. It's just a pause. That's not good, obviously, but that doesn't mean the same thing as a sustained lower frame-rate. The graph line sort of averages out based on frame-time. So it momentarily stops updating during that stutter then jumps back to 30fps.

The 1.04 patch seems to have addressed this, though.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Just out of interest, are you on a Pro? I'm usually pretty sensitive to input lag (found RDR2 almost unplayable) and it feels pretty minor to me on base PS4.
Yeah I'm on pro. Not sure why that would affect the game. Anyway, I'm not even sure if its input lag or dead zone, or maybe aim acceleration. It just didnt feel good to control compare to other game.

Red dead is pretty bad, but that game pace is slow everything, and any time you need fast aim, you have the dead eye slowing everything down. So I can bear with it.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I really don't like the "Detective vision". I feel like I have to use it almost ever 30 seconds to find out whats lootable. I at least wish you could off the piss colored filter every time you use it.

Same here, after playing for a bit this was one of my biggest annoyances, using that to see lootable items and the brightness filter it throws up is annoying and even can obscure the lootable items you're using it to look for in the first place. They should have had the lootable items a different color icon and another tweak I would've like would have been to keep the icon on screen longer, it disappears so fast which makes it feel like why you have to constantly keep using it.

A lot of this could be solved as well if there was just like a shimmer-effect like other games have for lootable items so you aren't so reliant on having to use the vision for that purpose.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played 3 more hours. Loving it so far and haven't seen any glitches (PS4 Pro here, with 1.04 patch). Wish me luck ;D

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I take it youre not enjoying the game much? How far along are you? Im debating whether I should call sony and ask for a refund. I hated Mad Max, is it as empty as that?
I'm honestly just struggling at this point, i'm mostly playing hoping for something exciting to happen

The only actual fun i had so far was a couple of hordes i fought and cruising through the woods at night while it rains,, everything else was a slog

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Left my bike near an outpost. Turned the outpost power on and the bike ended up being near a speaker nowhere near the building itself. Swarm on top of my bike meant I literally couldn't reach the bike. Had to spend 45+ mins trying before eventually escaping on foot to the nearest outpost, sleeping, and returning which reset the swarm so I could reach the bike before they got to me. No way to teleport it to me or reset it as far as I could tell - game told me bike was too far away to recover even though I could see it... Just there.

Head to the next mission, game tells me I need to fuel the bike to start the mission even though its on about 50%. Spend 30 mins looking for fuel. Give up. Turn game off.

My last few hours with Days Gone in a nutshell.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I preorder the game off PSN, but I was occupied with other stuff tonight so I'm not playing until whenever I wake up. How's everyone enjoying it so far?

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Same here, after playing for a bit this was one of my biggest annoyances, using that to see lootable items and the brightness filter it throws up is annoying and even can obscure the lootable items you're using it to look for in the first place. They should have had the lootable items a different color icon and another tweak I would've like would have been to keep the icon on screen longer, it disappears so fast which makes it feel like why you have to constantly keep using it.

A lot of this could be solved as well if there was just like a shimmer-effect like other games have for lootable items so you aren't so reliant on having to use the vision for that purpose.

I like all of your suggestions on how to potentially fix it. They could even make it where when you aim your weapon it shows the icon and then you can run towards it. I just hate this timed filter along with the sound every other minute, really dumb.

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
I've played 3 hours so far and quite like it. The sensitivity of the analog sticks is a little too much sometimes, and I also had trouble at the intro, when the initial bike would just turn right and left with the slight touch of the analog stick.

It's a solid 8/10 so far.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the longest load times this gen, and to make it even worse it loads in between cutscenes and gameplay. Not sure what's going on there

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
Left my bike near an outpost. Turned the outpost power on and the bike ended up being near a speaker nowhere near the building itself. Swarm on top of my bike meant I literally couldn't reach the bike. Had to spend 45+ mins trying before eventually escaping on foot to the nearest outpost, sleeping, and returning which reset the swarm so I could reach the bike before they got to me.
Sounds like a nasty bug, hopefully this won't be a widespread issue throughout the world. I'll see by myself tomorrow.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Well... despite one texture not loading right at the first scene... this game is a looker. Played for 2 hours and... its exactly like Far Cry but with bikes (and boy do they feel good to drive).

Far Cry also gets pretty repetitive but it is fun as hell to play.

(I'm speaking for my experience in 2 hours. Not a single frame drop or bug found in gameplay).

Just one cutscene triggered Deacon holding his gun with one arm, my last gun was the AK 47, while the Cutcene was recorded with the pistol in mind. It was strange to hold one AK 47 with one hand while aiming, but not broken.
True. Reviewers shouldn't get review copys until the game launches.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So there are no respawning enemies at all? If so that is incredible, I love being able to make areas safe.
I think they might respawns in random places (not 100% sure though) but for camps, nests etc they don't spawn extra but can pick up stragglers if you don't clear them out and leave for a while.

Came across my first horde and that was pretty tough since there were a tonne of freakers so I had to play it really smart and slow to get them near explosives to get rid of the bulk of them and then pick the smaller fragmented groups after.

chowyunfatt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How come the the review thread has twice as many posts as the game thread? Are more people interested in giving their opinion on a number than they are actually playing a game?

Can't wait to try later, was day one for me as soon as I saw it all those years ago, reminded me of madmax and I loved that.

The location looks great and the graphics look nice too, must admit that I'm not really a massive open world fan but the odd one does hook me in If I'm interested in the subject matter like madmax, farcry 3 and rdr2.

idonteven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How come the the review thread has twice as many posts as the game thread? Are more people interested in giving their opinion on a number than they are actually playing a game?

Can't wait to try later, was day one for me as soon as I saw it all those years ago, reminded me of madmax and I loved that.

The location looks great and the graphics look nice too, must admit that I'm not really a massive open world fan but the odd one does hook me in If I'm interested in the subject matter like madmax, farcry 3 and rdr2.
people like shitting on things they dont like

they made their mind up the day the game got revealed

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So there are no respawning enemies at all? If so that is incredible, I love being able to make areas safe.
And it seems like bodies don't disappear. I went back to an old area and the dead bodies were exactly like I left them!

Sounds great. Things like this add to the continuity and groundedness of a game world. Shame they didn't nail the narrative and gameplay progression/pacing structure of things, because the game actually appears to be doing some genuinely interesting things, especially with respect to the world, tech, weather, atmosphere etc.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Because Days Gone has a lot of haters. Look at all the previous Days Gone threads. Almost all of them went down the toilet after a few minutes. Still, it's a solid 7 overall. All good :)

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I was never interested in this game and I guess I won't bother with it now, too. Wishing everyone who is into these type of games a lot of fun though! I think zombie games had somewhat reached their peak a couple years ago already.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

Well the critics didn't received as well as some other game so people seem to be discussing that.

I've played 3 hours so far and quite like it. The sensitivity of the analog sticks is a little too much sometimes, and I also had trouble at the intro, when the initial bike would just turn right and left with the slight touch of the analog stick.

It's a solid 8/10 so far.

And here I thought I was crazy, I even tested 2 different controllers