• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Same reason uncharted did it I guess, so you don't have to physically turn your digital self around just to illuminate something. It looks a bit weird but I appreciate the functionality being better.
Huh, I never even realized that Uncharted did that. Even Uncharted 4

Well, if you're going to draw ideas from other games, take them from the best.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, thank you for the info.

What about system settings and login stuff. Do I have to customize that after rebuilding the database?

To the best of my knowledge, nothing will be effected during rebuild. Just like you can defrag on Windows, it just internally sorts your PS4 files, which may end up making menus (or even game files) load a bit quicker and reduce choppiness in games from data being loaded from different parts of the HDD (not much of an issue in SSD's I imagine).

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
As long as it scores around 80, it'll be a win-win situation. I even foresee an scenario where it goes below 70 (which I don't see happening) and still becomes a big commercial hit, which would help both Bend and the franchise to live on for another day.

All in all, this is one of those releases too big to fail, and it won't.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
To the best of my knowledge, nothing will be effected during rebuild. Just like you can defrag on Windows, it just internally sorts your PS4 files, which may end up making menus (or even game files) load a bit quicker and reduce choppiness in games from data being loaded from different parts of the HDD (not much of an issue in SSD's I imagine).

This sounds great. I was always under the impression that initialise/format was the only option. Guess I'm rebuilding the database after I delete The Lost Legacy tomorrow night.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Anyone playing with 1.03 patch? What is the performance like on Pro? What about streaming bugs and glitches?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
As long as it scores around 80, it'll be a win-win situation. I even foresee an scenario where it goes below 70 (which I don't see happening) and still becomes a big commercial hit, which would help both Bend and the franchise to live on for another day.

All in all, this is one of those releases too big to fail, and it won't.

From what I've seen I cant see it getting under a 70. I think it looks pretty solid. I'm still sticking with my solid 78 and a hope to be surprised.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Platinum has 3D audio and gold has vss, but both will probably receive a profile for the game (in the companion app). However the Platinum will be 3D, but gold is just 7.1 surround sound (vss). Hope you understand what I mean.

That makes sense to me. So the 500 million edition is the gold version then? If they make a profile for it that would be cool, they sounded great when playing through Spider-Man just on default settings. Thanks for this info!

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Watched a bit the IGN stream and they have a lot of fun.

I love the foggy hills while raining, reminds me of GoW.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
From what I've seen I cant see it getting under a 70. I think it looks pretty solid. I'm still sticking with my solid 78 and a hope to be surprised.
78 sounds realistic, I agree. As much as 83, if I was to feel more positive. Everything above that would surprise me too, but in any case, and as you pointed out, it would be a solid range.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Since some users are already playing the game: how long does the copying-process for the patch take?

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Can I just say I was one of the few who believed in this game from E3 16
R1fdEt3.gif

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Yeah I noticed they dodge some of the melee attacks and counter attack. Will have to remember to not swing wildly now and get ready to dodge out the way if they go for a counter attack.

Yep, like I stated last night, Bend has done a good job differentiating freakers from your average zombie. The dodge manoeuvre is pretty good to get out of a build up.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
any impressions about hard mode, is it challenging enough? is it fun? resources spare or plenty?

debating if i might start this game in june on survival

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Cross-post from the other thread, sounds like a solid open-world zombie game if they managed to fix the technical issues with patch 1.03

First(?) Review from German games mag MGames (not online yet).

Here's a summary:
  • Deacon doesn't have a huge amount of HP at the start and has to be careful around enemies
  • Large arsenal of weapons and crafting options like Horizon
  • Human enemies have poor AI that's easy to exploit, freakers and wild animal offer a bigger challenge
  • Weapon and bike upgrades in the camps. Each camp represents a faction that has their own way of dealing with the end times (preppers, forced labor, etc.) and they each have their own currencies.
  • Uninspired mission and enemy design (fetch quests and the zombie lineup from Left 4 Dead)
  • The narrative throughline often gets lost in a sea of sidequests (tip: yellow symbols indicate missions that are relevant to the story)
  • Bike feels slow at the beginning of the game, upgrades change that and make it fun. You should prioritize gas tank upgrades. There is a fast-travel option but it only works if there's enough gas in your tank.
  • Time of day and weather conditions affect the size and strength of freaker hordes. Weather also affects the handling of your bike.
  • Detailed visual presentation, lots of little details that especially stand out on characters and enemies. Good-looking weather effects.
  • HDR doesn't add much, mostly benefits dark scenes like those set during moonlight
  • Very long initial loading, followed by more loading during story cutscenes that often takes you out of the otherwise cinematic experience
  • Lacks technical polish: Game crashes, pop-in while riding the bike and unstable framerate during later sections of the game (even on PS4 Pro with patch 1.02)
  • Good voice acting and surround sound implementation, the soundtrack is a little reminiscent of The Last of Us.
  • Deacon becomes a more interesting character as time goes on, but the way the story is told doesn't work in favor of a rising narrative tension

Verdict: 8.3/10

Days Gone is not in the same league as TLOU, Horizon or GOW but Oregon is still worth the bike trip. It offers a unique, detailed playground for you to explore and tense moments when confronted with hordes of freakers.

+ Many interesting NPCs
+ Giant hordes of freakers whose behavior varies with the time of day [and weather]
+ Fine visual presentation

- The game crashes from time to time [note: reviewed with patch 1.02]
- Loading screens that pop up during story sequences
- Bland mission design

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
This is sounding more like Horizon too me with the Freaker AI being much better.

We seen it with the hordes and in the streams.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was always interested in it but since last months i actually started to feel it. Didnt preordered yet tho.. waiting for some more impressions

giphy.gif

All jokes aside, it was one of Bends first interviews after the reveal in 2016 where they mentioned their "Creative Freedom" I knew I'd be picking it up day 1. I mean, even back in 2016 the notion that studios could go create without interference from publishers shoe-horning in their own bs, seemed increasingly rare.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Anyone playing with 1.03 patch? What is the performance like on Pro? What about streaming bugs and glitches?
I replayed the start and it felt better, but nowhere near perfect. The drops are kind of weird though, you can be fighting a horde and not notice any significant drops but be walking around a camp and it bottoms out. Maybe it's loading in a horde or some other event that's doing it? That might also explain why some people get drops in an area and others don't.

I had a streaming bug during the opening mission that obliterated my bike, so there's still work to be done on that end.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I replayed the start and it felt better, but nowhere near perfect. The drops are kind of weird though, you can be fighting a horde and not notice any significant drops but be walking around a camp and it bottoms out. Maybe it's loading in a horde or some other event that's doing it? That might also explain why some people get drops in an area and others don't.

I had a streaming bug during the opening mission that obliterated my bike, so there's still work to be done on that end.
Yeah it has to be something going on with that, you would thank hordes would be the most taxing , but I guess its good if its not becuase that would have been a bigger issue .Thanks!

00lsen

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm curious how the exploration and side quests feel.

Is it more like Witcher 3/RDR2 or Ubisoft open worlds? Would love to be the former (although it isn't probably even logical to expect it from such a small studio), with discovering the story through interesting locations, characters and collectibles, but so far the opinions don't seem to be that good in this matter.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Any impressions on how scary it is? Since overdosing on the walking dead, zombie stuff is making me really uncomfortable:/

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
The Order looked worse everytime we saw it, unlike Days Gone which only got better with time.

Not to keep this going, but I disagree. Visually, it looked better every time they showed it. It was a well polished game, actually. It's biggest issues were lack of replay value and it needed tighter gameplay (though I thoroughly enjoyed it).

Regardless, Days Gone and it have only one thing in common - Sony properties. Otherwise, the former is shaping up to be a much stronger release.