• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
[Shay Casey] My favorite UI feature in Days Gone is definitely the Touchpad based menu system. It's super easy to swipe any direction and open a specific menu without having to tab through a bunch of panels.

[Eric Jensen] The thing I'm most proud of is how diverse and dynamic we were able to make the open world with such a small open world design team (5-6 people). We had to think smart and efficient with all of our design choices knowing the man power limitations. Seeing all of the crazy videos and screenshots that people have posted of the open world coming for Deacon or even interacting with itself has been incredibly cool for our team to see!
https://www.reddit.com/r/DaysGone/c..._developers_on_may_22nd_at/eogle6g/?context=3

Pretty damn crazy.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
One of the most underrated studios out there imo. Days Gone certainly has its share of flaws but they were honestly able to accomplish something at the fraction of a size of most other AAA teams.

I'm excited to see Bend continue to add talent and grow considerably going into next gen.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait to see what they will do with double that amount. It is crazy how good the open world is when you consider this fact. It feels really alive and lived in.

Bend is truly some of the most talented people in the industry.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
That's nuts. Hopefully Sony invests and builds that team up after the successful launch.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The open world is one of the weaker points of the game, IMO, so I really hope the success of Days Gone allows Bend to recruit more people, and deliver a top notch world with the inevitable sequel.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
What Bend achieved is nothing short of extraordinary for a studio of it's size, and all the flaws in Days Gone seems to be manpower base, like not having enough mission variety compared to other open world games. This should show Sony to put some more money behind Bend on a Syphon Filter for next gen, or a Days Gone sequel.

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most underrated studios out there imo. Days Gone certainly has its share of flaws but they were honestly able to accomplish something at the fraction of a size of most other AAA teams.

I'm excited to see Bend continue to add talent and grow considerably going into next gen.
Yeah, once you put the handicaps they had into perspective, and what they were able to produce in spite of that, you can tell they could produce something really noteworthy with those handicaps addressed.

Oct 27, 2017
What Bend achieved is nothing short of extraordinary for a studio of it's size, and all the flaws in Days Gone seems to be manpower base, like not having enough mission variety compared to other open world games. This should show Sony to put some more money behind Bend on a Syphon Filter for next gen, or a Days Gone sequel.
Thankfully they have been expanding like crazy the past year and will surely get their own mo cap studio. (I think the animator guys were 5 or so people which is also crazy because the animations while not as good as other Sony games still look kind of "good").

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the weather effects, how snow in generated and layers onto the environment as you ride around or turn the camera, is some really impressive stuff

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I do think they could put together an even better open world with another go at it

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
the weather effects, how snow in generated and layers onto the environment as you ride around or turn the camera, is some really impressive stuff
Speaking of weather

[Graham Aldridge - Lead Rendering Programmer (Guest Appearance)] The way the weather works in the game I think is quite unique: At any time, there are thousands (often tens of thousands) of clouds moving through the world. Each cloud defines a number of states about not just how the cloud looks (density, shape, etc) but also the weather conditions below the cloud: Be it rain, snowfall, mist, wind, etc. This is how the weather feels so dynamic, as it moves through the world the weather below the clouds gets accumulated dynamically through the world (it's possible to have one part of the world wet and at the same time another snowy, etc – it all depends on the clouds and where they are). We have systems to control how these accumulations blend and combine in to the world as the clouds move through it, this also controls visual and gameplay transitions too: e.g. as snow melts it will typically puddle then turn mud. Sun shining on damp ground is more likely to produce evaporation fog, the motorbike splashes through puddles, etc.

Creating the visual look of a snowy day is quite challenging because it's not a single effect – it's a combination of multiple interacting systems. If it doesn't look right, it's often because there is a missing element in the simulation (Only applying a snow layering effect to surfaces wouldn't be enough). We decided early on that trying to eyeball and emulate these effects wouldn't feel right and we'd struggle to make it as dynamic as we wanted - so we would always try and figure out what combination of physical systems produced the look of snow in the real world and try and emulate those as best we could. We didn't want to fake it.

As examples, it meant making sure how light scatters through the volumetric fog was accurate. Having world lighting react accordingly too was really important (e.g. effective bounce light off the ground changes a lot to reflect the predominantly white snow). A really subtle system we have always running in the game is an automatic white balance system – just like a camera, this makes sure the image colour balance looks right and is incredibly important to the look of the game because it helps to keep more extreme circumstances (such as snow, sunsets, etc) from feeling out of balance.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole game development process for Days Gone sounds crazy. Hearing that they had to travel like 800+ miles to SSM to use their mocap studio alone was nuts to think about. I can't wait to see what they do with whatever comes next considering it sounds like they're far better established for AAA development from staffing to even getting their own mocap studio.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
What a great fuckin video game. Shocked the world team was so small. Wonder if they do the same thing as Ubisoft and use Houdini.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see what they can do with a larger team. Days Gone might be my favorite game so far this year.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yep. And one of my favourite ones. It's crazy what they have done with such a small team/studio. I mean they only had ~45 devs during DG's first development years. Can't wait to see DG2 on PS5 made by Bend Studios biggest team (~135 devs) ever.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I think Days Gone is the most underrated game of the year. It's beyond my comprehension how it scored so "low". The gameplay loop is great, the story and performances are good (not great) and it doesn't feel more repetitive than 90% of the open world games.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's quite impressive! This actually reminds me of how Ninja Theory only had a single environment artist working on Hellblade. I think we'll see lot of crazy stuff being done with procedural generation and automated content creation in the future.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

And to add to that, despite all the graphical shortcomings, they have created perhaps the most realistic looking player character in real time gameplay on a console, a staggering feat considering the expansive nature of the game. The only other game that comes close whilst targeting photo realistic character is GoW and that is a more linear game designed a far larger studio.

Honestly, I expected this sort of fidelity in next gen games:

e02d411207906814.png

f2fe941207907454.png

Images above captured from GamerSyde uncompressed video.

60f6411207907484.png

972c881230673464.jpg

da41051207907564.png

Images above graciously provided by Dumbmugi

UE 4 must have some really powerful tools for a dev the size of Bend to create something like that. Hopefully, they will sort out their myriad small issues and a few notable graphical issues on the next gen HW.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Even if the world isn't the most developed out there, that's highly impressive.

Glad for bend.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They truly punched above their weight, ton of "firsts" were accomplished with Days Gone - and it shows.

Can't wait to see what they can achieve with a second chance.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
a map designed only by 6 people yet it's better than most open world games I've played. bless bend 🙏🏽

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
That puts a lot of things into perspective. They did an amazing job with the amount of resources at hand. I'm sure the inevitable sequel will turn out even better.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I platinumed the game (no other open world game this gen compelled me to)... I think the most impressive part of the open world is how in the late game it contrives different setups to fight the hordes, using the environment to create different tactical situations.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of weather

This is pretty crazy to hear about. I really love driving into a storm. I feel like that is something a lot of open world games don't get right and actually seeing the clouds in the distance and watching as the weather gradually changes was really impressive. I'd just stand around watching the world at times.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The whole game development process for Days Gone sounds crazy. Hearing that they had to travel like 800+ miles to SSM to use their mocap studio alone was nuts to think about. I can't wait to see what they do with whatever comes next considering it sounds like they're far better established for AAA development from staffing to even getting their own mocap studio.

Do we know if Bend has their own mocap studio in their new location?

I'd love for Bend to grow into a 300-400 person studio so they can either become a 1.5 or 2 game developer. This was the first game from them I've ever played from Bend and it is EXACTLY the type of game I love to play all around so I'm eager for more from them. Given the magic they were able to pull off with this game with the amount of resources they did have, I can only imagine what they could pull off with more resources and a lot more manpower. I think they're definitely going to be giving everyone a run for their money in creating a fun, exciting and believable open world next gen, not just Sony devs, but everyone.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if Bend has their own mocap studio in their new location?

I'd love for Bend to grow into a 300-400 person studio so they can either become a 1.5 or 2 game developer. This was the first game from them I've ever played from Bend and it is EXACTLY the type of game I love to play all around so I'm eager for more from them. Given the magic they were able to pull off with this game with the amount of resources they did have, I can only imagine what they could pull off with more resources and a lot more manpower. I think they're definitely going to be giving everyone a run for their money in creating a fun, exciting and believable open world next gen, not just Sony devs, but everyone.

They made some comments about getting their own mocap studio if the game does well or something along those lines. I have to assume that the game is doing well for them all things considered so hopefully they've got that set up now. They've also more than doubled in size from the sounds of it.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
This question came up in another AMA, so I'm going to provide the same answer:

Open world games are challenging to make, due to the very nature of them being open world and unpredictable. It's really difficult to predict every players' decision and play style. Having said that, we're constantly looking for ways to improve how sound is delivered in-game, based on player actions, and that includes dialog. Days Gone is a big game, and there are over 50,000 lines of dialog. We spent time working with Sam Witwer for delivering context-appropriate dialog and in most cases, it works! There are certainly occasions, like the ones you've noted, where you wish Deacon would be a little more conscious of his surroundings and scenario! Having said that, one of our goals was to make sure the player feels a sense of anxiety in situations like stealth… so, Deacon yelling a little louder than expected may keep some players on their toes! Haha!
https://www.reddit.com/r/DaysGone/comments/bre60r/days_gone_ama_with_the_developers_on_may_22nd_at/

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Really has tons of shades of ND/uncharted 1, except most would say days gone is a lot better relatively than uncharted 1. What if days gone 2 has that uncharted 2 jump?

Oct 27, 2017
I see a lot of people mentioning the snow, and rightfully so, but the thunderstorms are usually what make me stop and just watch the world around me...tree tops swaying, great looking lightning and even debris. The mud is also pretty crazy...it has a wealth of details that I find more impressive than most open world games.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Wrangling such a massive story! From asset management to localization, this game has a beast of a story and everyone did such a great job implementing it. Also, it feels awesome! Seeing everyone's reactions to the game online, seeing the gifs and videos and everything, just makes me so indescribably happy. I'm so glad people are having a great time with Days Gone! <3
Getting all of the open world systems to work together nicely was the biggest challenge. There is a lot of overlapping open world content that requires different systems to communicate with each other and/or account for each other along with layers and layers of tuning. We built systems to control pacing of both dynamic encounters and global enemy spawns so the player doesn't encounter too many of the same things within short periods of time. User testing was super important with this process to ensure that all the tuning was solid on long playthroughs.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
So is this Sony's way of testing them or something? I imagine they'll have room to expand considering a zombie game was a safe bet to sell well.

I hope they try out another idea though, Sony should have some kind of fantasy game.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
  • When people outside of the industry even mention the sound, you know you've done an excellent job.
Indeed. It's nice to see so many positive comments about the sound design in Days Gone. It's especially gratifying when players notice the finer details we added. Some examples: rain on Deacon's leather jacket (more noticeable when aiming, since the camera moves in closer), the bike's exhaust pinging as it cools down after the player dismounts, the way wildlife ambient sounds react to game states, weather, day-night cycle and region. Have you noticed the insects in Belknap are slightly different to the ones heard in Lost Lake or Iron Butte? There are many more little subtle details like these that we hope players hear
Always love the little details