• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Same here, my backlog is tremendous so I'll wait to see if they patch some games for PS5 before jumping in.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Yeah, just beat it. Beginning is rough, has some pacing issues overall. But world, gameplay, characters were all really great. Really felt good with upgraded guns/bike/gear, and my god the hordes are tense!

James_liv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Maybe the only PS4 game that I bothered to platinum?

Loved it.

Edit: Browsing the thread, it's wild how many others made this a rare Platinum trophy... says a lot about the game.
Ive never got a platinum but got one trophy from getting this one.
The one where you had to use Nitro and drift on your bike for 5 seconds. I spent hours trying to get it and failed. Pissed me right off!

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was watching a review and they specifically called it a shooter - I know it's an open world game, but is it really heavy on the shooter aspect? I've been eyeing it up because I'm in the mood for exploring at my own pace a big open world - focus on exploring, maybe some stealth and creative kills or avoidance of combat altogether, but if it has a really strong focus on being an open world third person shooter I'd rather get my jollies on elsewhere.

Oct 27, 2017
I was watching a review and they specifically called it a shooter - I know it's an open world game, but is it really heavy on the shooter aspect? I've been eyeing it up because I'm in the mood for exploring at my own pace a big open world - focus on exploring, maybe some stealth and creative kills or avoidance of combat altogether, but if it has a really strong focus on being an open world third person shooter I'd rather get my jollies on elsewhere.
There is a lot of shooting but the game is designed to be a survival horror first and foremost so it is not a "shooter". You only feel powerful late into the game.

It is somewhat similiar to Last of Us in terms of shootouts. You feel like you are barley scraping by and you have to search for supplies like ammo, medicine and fuel for your bike.

Early on in the game you are encouraged to sneak around and be smart withh your ammo. 10 freaks could be a huge problem. Later into the game, in the last third you will start feeling like rambo cause you have better guns and upgrades so you will be able to take on hundreds of them.

If you ever player the classic Resident Evil, it is very similiar in terms of progression. Early on you have very little guns and stuff so you will need to be careful. Then once you are far into the game and have enough ammo. And weapons you will start shooting stuff without any issue.

Oct 27, 2017

It's not really a shooter. I got the platinum, so I'm qualified to say đź‘€.

The emphasis is firmly on stealth and preserving ammo early on as you're fairly underpowered and even a few freakers are an issue and you don't have the stamina to outrun a horde. Gradually your skills and weapons increase to the point where you can enjoyably take on hordes of hundreds at a time with a healthy dose of forward planning/trap laying/route preparation, but as a general rule I tended not to go loud and large unless I was specifically taking on a horde. I spent large amounts of time avoiding too much combat during exploration, relying on stealth takedowns and hiding. I suppose you could go in guns blazing for all encounters if you wanted but that never felt like an appropriate way to play for me.

I fucking love Days Gone.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has some really surprisingly positive impressions, will definitely give this a look down the road after TLOU and Ghosts this summer

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's as much of a shooter as TLOU imo (or even less perhaps). Yeah, you shoot. But much of the combat is focused on stealth/ melee because of ammo scarcity. By the time you take on the hordes, gunplay becomes more central, but those encounters are so unusual it still doesn't really feel like any type of normal shooter imo.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is a lot of shooting but the game is designed to be a survival horror first and foremost so it is not a "shooter". You only feel powerful late into the game.

It is somewhat similiar to Last of Us in terms of shootouts. You feel like you are barley scraping by and you have to search for supplies like ammo, medicine and fuel for your bike.

Early on in the game you are encouraged to sneak around and be smart withh your ammo. 10 freaks could be a huge problem. Later into the game, in the last third you will start feeling like rambo cause you have better guns and upgrades so you will be able to take on hundreds of them.

If you ever player the classic Resident Evil, it is very similiar in terms of progression. Early on you have very little guns and stuff so you will need to be careful. Then once you are far into the game and have enough ammo. And weapons you will start shooting stuff without any issue.
Just read this response and realized it's almost exactly the same as my post above lol.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I'll probably try to get back into this once I finish (read: get bored of) the current slate of games I'm playing. I'm pretty early on but it definitely hasn't hooked me yet unfortunately.

LeProvo

Apr 24, 2020
Turkey
I beat the game today and I have mixed feelings about it. This game has two sections for me, before/after Lost Lake Camp. Before the camp it was not growing on me and I mostly feel bored about story and the world they created, clear pacing issues. 6/10 for me until there. After we reached the camp, game really started to change for me. I really liked the characters we met there and atmosphere of Lost Lake, also southern parts of the map feels a bit empty next to northern parts. I say 8/10 overall. I have to add that game feels rushed most of the time, I am really curious if there is going to be a second game with benefits of next-gen it can be much better.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I've come round on this game and am actually really enjoying it. I would say that it absolutely does not put its best foot forward and I thought it was mediocre rubbish for a good 8 hours. Without quarantine, the insistence of a friend and threads like this I wouldn't have carried on playing it but I'm glad I did.

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
Bought it when it was on sale over a month ago. Quit playing after 4-6 hours.

Really strong from a technical standpoint, but the "feel" of the game put me off. That and the dialogue and characters so far were edgy and cringey.

I should persist huh?

Big Shirley

Banned
May 11, 2020
I just can't seem to get into it. Probably a couple of hours in and finding the lack of ammo and general resource management really tedious. I just want to go kill a load of freakers without having to resort to using a baseball bat after the first couple of kills.

I dunno, not sure if I'm missing something or if it's just not for me. Not found it fun at all so far.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just can't seem to get into it. Probably a couple of hours in and finding the lack of ammo and general resource management really tedious. I just want to go kill a load of freakers without having to resort to using a baseball bat after the first couple of kills.

I dunno, not sure if I'm missing something or if it's just not for me. Not found it fun at all so far.

Finished the game two days ago. I love the moment to moment gameplay, but I would say the two biggest areas for development are writing and directing, which were both done by the same man.

Often Deacon and his radio contacts would discuss something or somewhere like they'd never heard of it before or discussed it before but a side mission had sent me there and I'd already interacted with it.

The story was too long. It needed editing and some of the cutscenes ended abruptly.
Solid 8/10 from me but they have a lot of work to do for the sequel. I'm assuming it'll be a new character as that whole story is done.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I wouldn't say it's great, but it's definitely a decent game. The setting wasn't really for me, but I had some fun with it. I'd pobably give it a 7/10 if I had to grade it.

Big Shirley

Banned
May 11, 2020
Finished the game two days ago. I love the moment to moment gameplay, but I would say the two biggest areas for development are writing and directing, which were both done by the same man.

Often Deacon and his radio contacts would discuss something or somewhere like they'd never heard of it before or discussed it before but a side mission had sent me there and I'd already interacted with it.

The story was too long. It needed editing and some of the cutscenes ended abruptly.
Solid 8/10 from me but they have a lot of work to do for the sequel. I'm assuming it'll be a new character as that whole story is done.

I'd have thought stuff like that would be much improved in the sequel. Bend were basically a AA studio trying to make a AAA game with this, so what they achieved is fairly impressive tbh.

Presumably they'll add a lot of numbers to their team now they have a hit franchise to leverage.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It was supposed to be a game with choice based narrative that was excised during development and you can even see where you were supposed to make choices at several points. This is part of some of the more abrupt cutscenes or random missions.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say that I don't remember if I posted in this thread already, but whatever. Thought the game was fun enough to get me hooked until the end, but narrative and characters left a lot to be desired. Writing, acting and direction overall were just forgettable.

However, tried the game on my new oled and fuck man... It looks ridiculously good. Didn't look nearly as good on my 55 inch 1080p LED that I had before. Thank God I made the jump just in time for next gen.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Bought it when it was on sale over a month ago. Quit playing after 4-6 hours.

Really strong from a technical standpoint, but the "feel" of the game put me off. That and the dialogue and characters so far were edgy and cringey.

I should persist huh?
A bit maybe. The game doesn't start all that great, but both characters and dialogues get better later. Or at least the characters do. I didn't enjoy Deacon at all at first, but a few hours later he got alright. And by the end, I was really enjoying him. I will never forget his bewildered reaction when I went through that first big horde.

And from a pure gameplay perspective, if you like exploration and action, it's a really great game. A bit repetitive, but the bike feels great and combat is fantastic I think.

Last edited:

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Completed the main story this morning. Damn this game is good!
It is however unpolished at times. Some of the animations, texture pop, enemy pop in. I was just out for a walk and suddenly a horde droped from the sky. Also Deacon aometimes forges he already burned all the nests in some areas.

But i love this game. The open world is my favourite one i have played. Love just exploring everything i see. And it's gorgeous!! Love the charachters and the story went places i did not expect and had a satisfying ending.

Cant wait till new years when the playstation round up comes so i can see how many hours i spent in the game. Going for platinum!

Fun fact: The actor who plays Deacon gets a dick flyer in a season 3 episode of Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Completed the main story this morning. Damn this game is good!
It is however unpolished at times. Some of the animations, texture pop, enemy pop in. I was just out for a walk and suddenly a horde droped from the sky. Also Deacon aometimes forges he already burned all the nests in some areas.

But i love this game. The open world is my favourite one i have played. Love just exploring everything i see. And it's gorgeous!! Love the charachters and the story went places i did not expect and had a satisfying ending.

Cant wait till new years when the playstation round up comes so i can see how many hours i spent in the game. Going for platinum!

Fun fact: The actor who plays Deacon gets a dick flyer in a season 3 episode of Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
Did you also get the secret ending?

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Did you also get the secret ending?
Hmmm...i dont think so, no. I still have some jobs left, camps and nero sites to take over. And like 6 million hordes. Also some of the story lines are only 80-90% complete and it feels like some of theese cant be reopened so to speak. If that matters for a secret ending.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hmmm...i dont think so, no. I still have some jobs left, camps and nero sites to take over. And like 6 million hordes. Also some of the story lines are only 80-90% complete and it feels like some of theese cant be reopened so to speak. If that matters for a secret ending.
Continue playing the missions and hordes ect. Can't remember if you have to actually beat everything but a few more missions will unlock as you go and one is absolutely amazing and has me super pumped for the sequel.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Continue playing the missions and hordes ect. Can't remember if you have to actually beat everything but a few more missions will unlock as you go and one is absolutely amazing and has me super pumped for the sequel.
I was at least going to get platinum. Not sure if i have the motivation to go for all the hordes though but it's not required for the platinum.

TornRaptor

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Australia
I played it at launch on a ps4 not a pro and it did have some framerate issues. Aside from that I really enjoyed it, I'm looking forward to seeing what Bend does next.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Just loiter about doing cleanup and you will get a call after a while.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I need to give it a proper go but first impressions were quite off-putting. Obscenely long loading times - I guess I'm going to have to get used to looking at the ugly ring spinning round and round. Then typical AAA meathead cutscene, then when I actually got in to the gameplay, I turned the bike the opposite way - immediate fail/fade to black/redo. 2nd try, I went off the road to what looked like a dirt path - immediate fail/redo. I turned it off there as I'd had enough for the night, but I don't like this kind of hand-smacking in games. I'm expecting a bike ride to another cutscene or 5, but after that if it's hand-smacking "mission fail" kind of stuff, I'm out.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I need to give it a proper go but first impressions were quite off-putting. Obscenely long loading times - I guess I'm going to have to get used to looking at the ugly ring spinning round and round. Then typical AAA meathead cutscene, then when I actually got in to the gameplay, I turned the bike the opposite way - immediate fail/fade to black/redo. 2nd try, I went off the road to what looked like a dirt path - immediate fail/redo. I turned it off there as I'd had enough for the night, but I don't like this kind of hand-smacking in games. I'm expecting a bike ride to another cutscene or 5, but after that if it's hand-smacking "mission fail" kind of stuff, I'm out.
Ugh. Nothing worse than a so-called open world game that funnels you down a strict corridor during missions, and fails you if you so much as fart near the perimeter of that corridor.

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
Had it in my backlog, played it non stop until I beat it, almost 50 hours later. I loved the mechanics of the game but we can all agree that story is not its biggest selling point. Will come back to platinum.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. Nothing worse than a so-called open world game that funnels you down a strict corridor during missions, and fails you if you so much as fart near the perimeter of that corridor.
They are literally talking about the opening tutorial bike section. Most of the game is not like that. It's not even a mission based type game.

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Are you talking the starting mission? I actually think the game gives you a huge amount of leeway how you complete missions outside of a few specific story ones where you have to do some very certain things but that kind of makes sense considering the context given.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thinking about pulling the trigger on this, since it's on sale.

The performance in fine now on base PS4 after the patches?

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So I bought the disc version in the days of play sale, interestingly it seems to be an updated version on the disc, no updates were needed and it is version 1.61. Do many games do this? I tend to go digital.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So I bought the disc version in the days of play sale, interestingly it seems to be an updated version on the disc, no updates were needed and it is version 1.61. Do many games do this? I tend to go digital.
Yes, some games does this. A recent example, and a pretty big one, is the Spyro trilogy where only the first two games where on the disc at launch and the third one comes in a patch and around a year later all three are printed to the disc. I guess maybe they know that they have a final patch and starts printing that version in the end.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
A bit maybe. The game doesn't start all that great, but both characters and dialogues get better later. Or at least the characters do. I didn't enjoy Deacon at all at first, but a few hours later he got alright. And by the end, I was really enjoying him. I will never forget his bewildered reaction when I went through that first big horde.

Do you feel they needed a bigger boat?

Joking apart, this is only around ÂŁ15 at the moment, this thread has convinced me to pick it up, definitely sounds worth it.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Underrated game. Anyone on the fence should jump in with the sale currently going on. Enjoyed the story, combat, mechanics and the music is also really good.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
It was definitely one of my biggest surprises this gen, if not the biggest. Looked like a super generic open world game with all the clichés of the genre, but it turned out to have a lot of heart. I'm now a Bend Studio fan and looking forward to their future projects.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My time with this game was complicated. I struggled to get into it for the first couple of hours, but then I hit my stride for about the next 60% of the game and I loved the moment to moment gameplay. As the game hit the third act, reveals that should have had more gravity lacked it and it went on far too long. I love playing the game, but the story went on for ages. The writing and direction needs a big step up, so I'm hoping they can execute on the original vision (choice based narrative etc) and trim some of the fat. Overall it was a pleasant surprise.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I have a weird aversion to zombies(not scared of them, just bored and overplayed), but this thread is making me go and youtube some gameplay vids.