• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your Take on Giro Aiming

• Gyro Aiming Means Life

Votes: 292 40.7%
  • What is Gyro Aiming

Votes: 58 8.1%
  • I Turn it off First Chance I get

Votes: 221 30.8%
  • I use a mouse anyway, n00b.

Votes: 88 12.3%
  • Waggle me this

Votes: 26 3.6%
  • Meh, it's ok I guess

Votes: 87 12.1%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 109 15.2%

• Total voters

donpureevil

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
No, not at all. The gyroscopes make it so space is relative; you can have the controller pointing anywhere. This isn't the Wii/PSMove.
i get that you don´t have to point the controller directly at the tv.
i think my problem is more that when i move around, and my hands are in different positions that there is a disconnect for me how to reliably move my hands/wrists.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
This isn't the Wii/PSMove... There is no sensor on the tv. Space is all relative now with internal gyroscopes.

I can lay on my couch, controller on my stomach, pointing to the ceiling and I can still use gyro controls normally.
The dissonance between aiming with the controller by moving it and not the direction I'm moving in game just doesn't click for me, and also give me motion sickness.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
With Gyro you don't need aim assist for precision shot.
But Gyro can make aiming a little more complex, it need some time to get use of it.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not an industry standard because not many people are asking for it. Era has strong & vocal gyro support, but people in general aren't clamoring for its implementation.
I think it isn't just Era. It feels more that nintendo "fans" in general want it, because of games like splatoon.
In regards to gyro in the switch version of doom:

While on the playstation side you rarely hear pople talking about gyro aim, because most first party titles sadly don't use it.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Destiny ruined shooters for me.

And it also ruined any PVP gametype... can't stand the silence... I need Lord Shaxx telling me that I need to throw more grenades.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've tried it a few times before. I literally bought Days Gone because of its gyro recommendations, but it never really clicked for me the way I wanted. That changed recently with Astro's Playroom. I don't know what it is about that game, maybe the gyro is more pronounced, but it finally made sense here and I felt like it improved my aiming.

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
The thing i´ll never get is: when you´re playing with gyro aiming - are you always sitting straight up, front and center of the TV?

No, ofcourse not. This isnt like the Wii where your movement is tracked relative to your TV. With regular stick controls, players push the stick to the right to move the reticle to the right, regardless of what way the controller is facing. It's no different for gyro controls: the player just gently nudges the reticle in the direction by ever so slightly repositioning the controller as a whole. Also important to note: you still use the sticks to get to where you generally want to aim and then use gyro to pinpoint exactly where you want to hit. Big sweeping movement is terrible and takes ages, but that's exactly why it's so good for that extra finesse.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Because Xbox doesn't have it. And being the de facto standard controller for PC means at least half of all gamers don't even have the ability to use it.

What excuse do the developers have when making a game exclusive to a system that has it in every single controller? No idea.

Now, I'm not one to use gyro in every aspect of playing a game, but I do want it to turn on when I start fine-aiming.

And for the people that inexplicably hate it, just turn it off.

Truner

Oct 27, 2017
Hungary
I don't think I ever want to play a Zelda game that doesn't have gyro aiming.

Been playing Splatoon (1) recently and it's amazing how much of a difference it makes in accuracy.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
You need to play on PC to get gyro aim in any game you want easy with Steam. I've been doing that for 5 years now with my steam controller.

Really sucks Xbox hasn't added it to their controller and Sony doesnt make sure it's an option on their system in every game.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Time is flat circle

Gyro enthusiasts will say it's the second coming of jesus and should be in every single game.

Gyro detractors will say that it's trash nobody needs.

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Avatar Shaming
It's not an industry standard because not many people are asking for it. Era has strong & vocal gyro support, but people in general aren't clamoring for its implementation.
Switch owners have a strong vocal gyro support. Pretending it's just Era is laughable. But considering your avatar it's no wonder you're trying to downplay it

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I will abandon a game the moment I realize I've fucked up and purchased a gyro game.

It was the same with Wii waggle and/or turn the remote sideways but can't use the Pro controller games.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Switch owners have a strong vocal gyro support. Pretending it's just Era is laughable. But considering your avatar it's no wonder you're trying to downplay it
My previous avatar was Ness for like 6 six months, and I'm a known BOTW fanboy around here. So take your avatar shaming and go elsewhere with it.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Gyro as an option is nice, but as the default aiming mode no way. I enjoyed gyro in Splatoon but constantly resetting the view / controller position or making large wide movements like turning 180 degrees got old with gyro. Playing Splatoon gyro in handheld mode was a little annoying, was more enjoyable docked. Tilting the screen and moving it side to side isn't my ideal way to game.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'd argue, like me many people are not aware of what they are missing out on.
That's a fair point, and still in alignment with what I was saying originally. Whether it's due to people not wanting it or not knowing they want it en masse, I don't believe there's not as big of a desire for gyro as people think there is.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Reminds me of people refusing to use a mouse when Unreal released on PC and wanted to play it like Doom/keyboard only.

Nothing should be forced on people. I have a very unique control style as I am missing some digits on my right hand so using Gyro is annoying af as holding a controller normally is difficult to say the least. I am not alone in this. Make it a standard sure, as I do think it's cool, but let me shut it off.

It was very strange going from the hours and hours of Doom before the mouse to using a mouse. I still have never really acclimated to mouse and keyboard. the mouse part is cool, but in my situation, I only have enough fingers to handle wasd and maybe another button close to those.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Once you've played Splatoon with gyro aiming and getting the feel for it, you can't go back.
It's incredible.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's trash. Hated it in BotW, turned that off immediately.

Being forced to realign my hands whilst playing isn't good design to me.

Last edited:

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
still a shame Microsoft refuses to add a gyroscope to their controller, it'd make it a no brainer purchase for my PC otherwise. I'll keep using my DS4 or Switch Pro controller instead.

If all platforms had the hardware to support gyro aiming, it'd be probably way more prevalent than it is now. As it stands we can only rely on Nintendo and Sony to keep adding it to their games as an option. I imagine whatever multiplayer TLOU game Naughty Dog is cooking will have it which will be nice.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
It's pretty neat as additional tool to adjust aim. It feels very natural addition to stick aim for me but I can see where disagreements might come from since not all people normally hold their controllers as stoically as I do.

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm not really a fan, but that's because sometimes I sit at weird angles with my arms all over the place, and it actually makes it harder to aim. :P

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Boomers are scared that they might have to learn an objectively superior input method in order to be competitive in mutliplayer console shooters

Last edited:

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
What to expect when even most first-party studios didn't implement it anyway...? 🙄

Sure, a good free update for Days Gone.

The Last of Us Part II couldn't even do it for launch.

And not even news regarding this for Rift Apart & Forbidden West...

Also, this one monster of a series called Call of Duty with it's DualSense's haptic feedback in Cold War, didn't even have it...

Can't put much faith on Village too... 🙄🤷

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
Boomers are scared that the might have to learn an objectively superior input method in order to be competitive in mutliplayer console shooters

It's like the third post that talk about Boomers.
I think we need a poll to know the age of people who dislike Gyro.

I always thing it was more a console war thing to not like it at first.
Cause Nintendo use it a lot.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally is a commonly misused word.

Can literally mean figuratively?
One of the definitions of literally that we provide is "in effect, virtually—used in an exaggerated way to emphasize a statement or description that is not literally true or possible." Some find this objectionable on the grounds that it is not the primary meaning of the word, "with the meaning of each individual word given exactly." However, this extended definition of literally is commonly used and is not quite the same meaning as figuratively ("with a meaning that is metaphorical rather than literal").

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/literally

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
In general I am not one of this big fans of Resident Evil 4 because it changed a formula I loved, but playing RE4 on the Wii with the Wiimote and RE5 with the play controllers were among the most fun games ever.

But how does it work with Days Gone? Fells weird with just the controller, not like a single thing in one hand.