• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your Take on Giro Aiming

• Gyro Aiming Means Life

Votes: 292 40.7%
  • What is Gyro Aiming

Votes: 58 8.1%
  • I Turn it off First Chance I get

Votes: 221 30.8%
  • I use a mouse anyway, n00b.

Votes: 88 12.3%
  • Waggle me this

Votes: 26 3.6%
  • Meh, it's ok I guess

Votes: 87 12.1%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 109 15.2%

• Total voters

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I love shooters but I've never tried it. I'm all for more options so, yeah, bring it, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. DOOM Eternal, for example, was bliss on Xbox Series X without it.

But I guess it's something you just have to experience yourself.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Gyro is also a beast for radial / touch menus too, and it'd be cool if more games built that sort of thing into games by default that have lots of hotkeys. Can dedicate one button to the menu and holding that button will activate gyro to have access to many buttons at once. I play one game where armor elements are bound to F1-F6, so I have dedicated one button to a touch menu, so I can that and gyro to switch between 6 different armor elements, without gyro affecting regular gameplay. Games just need good gyro management.
Just adding more controller customization options would do wonders here, honestly. That's what I appreciate about Steam Input and the ability to map different "action layers" or functions based on holding a button down (w/ different time durations) or different button combinations.

MIMF

Nov 23, 2017
I turn it off. I move my hands around too much so my camera is always moving and I don't like it.

The ultimate scenario would be to have in each controller a dedicated back button to only enable/activate it when pressed.

Now if the game has nice configuration options such as WarFace does, I tend to disable it for regular movement but enable it at max sensibility when aiming.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Gyro aiming does not feel good to me in fast paced competitive play.
That's it

in a single player game where I'm sniping someone from far away while they sit idly by while smoking a cigarette and the aiming feels like crap due to the devs, yeah I welcome it.

MIMF

Nov 23, 2017
I do feel some gamers are using gyro aiming in full instead of using it as a fine adjustment. Using it as full aiming there might be quite a bit of movement, but if you use the analog to get 90% to the target then a very slight movement of the controller to to get the headshot its amazing. It was so hard playing Horizon after playing BOTW.

That was the big mistake I made for a long time and why I disliked so much until recently.

Now I really have a hard time without it in any shooter, even in fast competitive ones.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
It should be an option but never mandatory, I literally can't use gyro reliably due to having quite shaky hands

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Days Gone is a shooter? A good shooter? much doubt.

If Gyro is a standard, let it be a standard that I can shut off. Also, Gyro people are becoming a cult.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely needs to be an option in all games that require aiming. Just make sure it's not mandatory.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
It's legitimately one of those things where, once you get it, it's hard to go back. Gyro is absolutely a game changer and I'm glad to see PlayStation games slowly adopting it.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Gyro aiming does not feel good to me in fast paced competitive play.
That's it

in a single player game where I'm sniping someone from far away while they sit idly by while smoking a cigarette and the aiming feels like crap due to the devs, yeah I welcome it.
This makes zero sense to me. Why would sticks - the slower, less accurate input method - be better for fast paced competitive play?

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
Ever since I played Doom 2016 with the Steam Controller utilizing Gyro aiming, I am a sucker for Gyro aiming.

It's pretty great!

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
Biggest bummer for me this generation is Microsoft not going with gyro, meaning it won't become a standard option for at least five more years. Currently playing Control and it not having gyro aiming is my biggest complaint.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its strange that some games support it on switch but dont on ps. Adding the option is great.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Answering the poll question - I turn it off first chance I get. Absolutely not interested. Immersion breaking.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
This makes zero sense to me, why would sticks - the slower, less accurate input method - be better for fast paced competitive play?
Because I'm good with sticks? I'm accurate with sticks and have my sensitivity jacked up high? It doesn't have to make sense to you it only has to make sense to me the person playing the game.

Because with gyro enabled the slightest movement makes me over shoot my shots and having to do another thing besides aiming with my thumb is all the time the enemy needs to shoot me and put me down.

paddles on the other hand....that will improve your FPS experience more.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Biggest bummer for me this generation is Microsoft not going with gyro, meaning it won't become a standard option for at least five more years. Currently playing Control and it not having gyro aiming is my biggest complaint.
No gyro, no haptics, no adaptive triggers, no touchpad and rechargeable batteries sold separately. They need to do SOMETHING to update their controller.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020

This. "I hAtE mOtiOn ConTrOls". More like "I can't get out of my confort zone".
Shame Xbox haven't added gyroscope function on their controllers yet.
I wish there was PS Move support on PS4 and PS5. I love shooters on Wii.

No gyro, no haptics, no adaptive triggers, no touchpad and rechargeable batteries sold separately. They need to do SOMETHING to update their controller.

The Xbox Series controller is fantastic nonetheless. Best d-pad from all my controllers (Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, PS2, Pro Controller for Switch, Wii, New 3DS and PSV d-pads).

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
This. "I hAtE mOtiOn ConTrOls". More like "I can't get out of my confort zone".
Shame Xbox haven't added gyroscope function on their controllers yet.
I wish there was PS Move support on PS4 and PS5. I love shooters on Wii.

The Xbox Series controller is fantastic nonetheless. Best d-pad from all my controllers (Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, PS2, Pro Controller for Switch, Wii, New 3DS and PSV d-pads).

There is move support on PS4 but mostly (completely?) for VR games. I'm sure when PSVR 2 is released there will be another motion controller released along side of it.

I don't use the dpad for basically anything but the added features of the Dualsense are the biggest thing that reminds me I'm playing a next gen game. Shinier streets alone don't do it.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I think gyro aiming sucks. But it should definitely be an option for any controller with a gyro.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
At this point I'm not sure what is worse. Xbox not implementing gyro at all, or Sony having the tech implemented but no one is using it? Why isn't there gyro aiming in Doom, Overwatch or Fortnite on Playstation when it's already implemented on Switch and works like a charm? Seriously, sniper chararcters are suddenly a feasible option when playing Overwatch on Switch.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
On pc you can turn it on any game. I frequently do. Only when you're holding down a trigger? Sure. If you want it on all the time just for shits you can.

It's great. It made my hitman aiming a lot easier.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
I don't have anything against motion controls, but I don't like gyro aiming and i always turn it off.

With that being said, having more options is always a good thing, so it would be a nice if more developers would implement it.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I think Control would be greatly improved with gyro aiming.

I used to be a non-believer, but after trying it out here and there, it eventually clicked, and now I enable it if the option is available.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I don't tend to play with my controller facing the TV so Gyro Aiming never feels right to me.

This isn't the Wii/PSMove... There is no sensor on the tv. Space is all relative now with internal gyroscopes.

I can lay on my couch, controller on my stomach, pointing to the ceiling and I can still use gyro controls normally.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
That means nothing. Sony had it last gen and how many popular shooters used it?

it's not dependent on Microsoft. I could see however Microsoft pulling an apple and implementing it in a controller mid gen and acting like they reinvented the wheel and advertising it a lot and pushing for it.

at the time being though i get why they want to distance themselves from anything motion related. Kinect 1.0 might have sold really well but 2.0 was a bomb

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
There is move support on PS4 but mostly (completely?) for VR games. I'm sure when PSVR 2 is released there will be another motion controller released along side of it.

I don't use the dpad for basically anything but the added features of the Dualsense are the biggest thing that reminds me I'm playing a next gen game. Shinier streets alone don't do it.

Totally forgot about PSVR. Knowing that there's already support for the Move and games doesn't allow me to play with it makes me sad.

And yeah, I can see how the Dualsense can be a game changer. Still need to touch one though.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who went from playing Days Gone without gyro to Control, I can say Control's shooting controls are ironically just that bad. It could be a lot better even without gyro still.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Do you normally move around a lot with your controller?
I absolutely turned gyro aiming off in BOTW. Didn't like it.

But I use it when playing Splatoon so I guess ymmv depending on the game.
What did you feel were the biggest differences between the two? My feeling in BOTW was that it was far too sensitive, so would often end up doing more harm than good with the natural movement of your hands in empty space.

donpureevil

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I turn it off the first chance i get.
The only implementation of motion control i can tolerate / or like in some cases is VR.

The thing i´ll never get is: when you´re playing with gyro aiming - are you always sitting straight up, front and center of the TV?
Most of the time when im playing a game im lying down in some way (at least slouched in some way), sometimes with my controller behind my back, often controller and hands under a blanket. I see no way how you make that work.

For Accesibility reasons i´m of course all for different options to control games, but please give me the chance to turn it off before i start the game.

May 25, 2019
London
Evergeen image to post in threads of gyro fanatics

tumblr_m7cy7vOBmK1rz2ibto1_500.png

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
The thing i´ll never get is: when you´re playing with gyro aiming - are you always sitting straight up, front and center of the TV?
Most of the time when im playing a game im lying down in some way (at least slouched in some way), sometimes with my controller behind my back, often controller and hands under a blanket. I see no way how you make that work.

No, not at all. The gyroscopes make it so space is relative; you can have the controller pointing anywhere. This isn't the Wii/PSMove.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's not an industry standard because not many people are asking for it. Era has strong & vocal gyro support, but people in general aren't clamoring for its implementation.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What did you feel were the biggest differences between the two? My feeling in BOTW was that it was far too sensitive, so would often end up doing more harm than good with the natural movement of your hands in empty space.

I just didn't feel like I was using the gyro enabled stuff often enough in my typical playtime to warrant it suddenly switching to having to use my Wii U tablet to aim instead of using the sticks that I was using for everything else. It would always require a few seconds of adjustments, recentring my tablet etc. I didn't get enough out of the experience to warrant the discontect each time.

Splatoon was 100% controlled by quick hand movements using the controller gyros so it was just second nature.