• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your Take on Giro Aiming

• Gyro Aiming Means Life

Votes: 292 40.7%
  • What is Gyro Aiming

Votes: 58 8.1%
  • I Turn it off First Chance I get

Votes: 221 30.8%
  • I use a mouse anyway, n00b.

Votes: 88 12.3%
  • Waggle me this

Votes: 26 3.6%
  • Meh, it's ok I guess

Votes: 87 12.1%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 109 15.2%

• Total voters

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Prior to playing Days Gone recently I had no idea I wanted Gyroscopic Aiming in my life. But now I miss it in every game I've played since.
Having googled it recently I am shocked to see how few games have implemented it.

I've been playing Control the last couple weeks and am loving it greatly; however the aiming with guns is a real chore and kinda bad...

So are we expecting it to become more widely used?

Last edited:

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think anyone who has played Splatoon or other shooters on Wii U / Switch would like to join the chorus with you. It is at least a very nice option to have.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
It's pretty great! Vita and 3DS games used this extensively and I think it's a great compromise to allow for accurate aim on a controller, although I still prefer M+K.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It won't be standard until Xbox puts gyro into all their controllers

Their other efforts for accessibility are great but it makes zero sense why they didn't add this for the new generation

Last edited:

BrunoLouviers

Oct 28, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Love to see that there's a conversation around this issue. Using a stick to move a camera is just not accurate enough. I'd love to have gyro or motion controls (yeah, I know) in my FPS games. Splatoon is awesome with motion controls and I loved how they implemented the Move on Killzone 3. It's a pitty the Steam Controller never got more gyro support in PC games.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Prior to playing Days Gone recently I had no idea I wanted Gyroscopic Aiming in my life. But now I miss it in every game I've plaid since.
Having googled it recently I am shocked to see how few games have implemented it.

I've been playing Control the last couple weeks and am loving it greatly; however the aiming with guns is a real chore and kinda bad...

So are we expecting it to become more widely used?

The Wii did irreparable harm to the reputation of any sort of motion controls. People are still pushing back against them all these years later.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
it's an awesome option to have, especially because it doesn't replace dual analog aiming, it just adds another layer of fine control on top of the controls you're already used to. I really wish that more developers come to adopt gyro assist control schemes on Switch and PS

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this quite annoying if you normally move around a lot with your controller?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You fool, we learned this as far back as Splatoon in 2015!

But yes, always make gyro aiming an option. It feels like it's a thing Nintendo players seem to be lobbying for more, what with developers like id Software adding that as an option in their ports.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Big shout out to those of us that played through Killzone 3 with a Move controller

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
They just need to make it standard for all controllers and a certification requirement.

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
I've tried it a few times and really don't like it. Maybe I'm too old to appreciate what it brings.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I just simply don't like the option (not the option existing, but using it), it feels super unnatural to play that way (and yes I have tried it for enough time to judge).

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who used to play on PC I know the feeling of how bland controllers can feel when you go back to analogue sticks. But I did re-acclimatise.

My only usage of Gyro to aim was in BOTW, and I hated it. Is that a fairly atypical example of gyroscopic aiming or is that a bad example to base my opinion of the tech on? I just don't feel as comfortable adjusting my hands in empty space to aim as I would've done pushing down on a tactile surface with a mouse, or manoeuvring a physical analogue stick.

The other issue when it comes to multiplayer shooters is unless the control scheme is adopted by the mass population then it's useless, as it'll just massively increase the abilities of some players over others. So I can see why some studios aren't that bothered about implementing it.

Do you normally move around a lot with your controller?

I naturally have a degree of movement when I'm playing, yes. Not hugely, but enough to be picked up by Gyro.

This is true for others I've spoken to who don't like the tech.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gyro aiming is fantastic and should be an option in all games. Being able to move the stick in the general direction then correct with gyro makes shooters feel so much better on console.

Kemiko

Oct 5, 2018
It would also be great for accessibility, my wife struggles with using the right stick to aim while moving with the left. Loves Splatoon though and has no issues with it's Gyro aiming.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Aiming with just the stick is insufferable, so yeah, I do hope gyro aiming starts becoming more popular.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo players have been asking for this for years

Old fogie gamers are just afraid of adapting

Or of having options for some reason

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Big shout out to those of us that played through Killzone 3 with a Move controller
I still have this lying around at home:

41Wmysk9dfL.jpg

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried, but it's never felt good to me. I have ended up turning it off in every game I've played.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My only usage of Gyro to aim was in BOTW, and I hated it. Is that a fairly atypical example of gyroscopic aiming or is that a bad example to base my opinion of the tech on? I just don't feel as comfortable adjusting my hands in empty space to aim as I would've done pushing down on a tactile surface with a mouse, or manoeuvring a physical analogue stick.

I absolutely turned gyro aiming off in BOTW. Didn't like it.

But I use it when playing Splatoon so I guess ymmv depending on the game.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hate gyro aiming with passion but as an option I don't mind it

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
I've never actually tried it but people on this forum that have rave on about it so i feel like i need to give it a go

OhMyZach

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 5 and 6 go from decent shooters to fantastic feeling with the Switch's gyro controls. Borderlands 2 also feels wonderful with gyro controls and its crazy that more games don't implement it.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Pretty much every console shooter made in the last 20 years has had hard-coded aim assist because developers know how terrible dual analog aiming is on its own. Removing aim assist and replacing it with gyro for small, precise movements can feel bad or uncomfortable to players who have grown up on aim assist. I think some early gyro-assisted games had movement sensitivity set too high too, which also felt bad. But mostly I think it's a lot of people who played a waggle Wii game in 2007 and wrote off motion controls forever.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
That a thing that sounds like total BS actually makes fine control aiming soo much easier, just means that the console controller as we know is not the final form of controlling video games from a couch.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
I am almost instantly getting cramps because I try to move the cursor/recticle somewhere and feel like I have to do the weirdest motions. No matter how hard I try, I can not get a stable aim. I move around alot while gaming.

Last time I was annoyed as hell by motion controls was in Super Mario 3D World where they pop up in like 5 levels to select and move blocks and I hated it with a passion.

So no, please, no.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I don't personally like it or use it, but I agree that it should be a standard option.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always so torn between the gyro on my Sn30 Pro+ and the paddles on the Elite Series 2 controller.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
takes some getting used to, but once it clicks its much more satisfying.
stick aiming feels like fake and approximate with whole bunch of assist added on top afterwards

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
Days Gone has gyro aiming now? That's pretty cool.

OP's experience mirrors mine own post-Splatoon. Gyro aiming should be mandatory on a federal law level.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Gyro is also a beast for radial / touch menus too, and it'd be cool if more games built that sort of thing into games by default that have lots of hotkeys. Can dedicate one button to the menu and holding that button will activate gyro to have access to many buttons at once. I play one game where armor elements are bound to F1-F6, so I have dedicated one button to a touch menu, so I can that and gyro to switch between 6 different armor elements, without gyro affecting regular gameplay. Games just need good gyro management.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I hate gyro so much. Like, it's truly a miserable experience to play a gyro only game. But it should be always an option.

MIMF

Nov 23, 2017
Gyro aiming took a long time for me to click, but now I directly do not buy any shooter on the switch if it is not included.

Also important is the quality of the implementation and configuration options, there is a big difference between a clean implementation with tons of settings (WarFace) to a barebones shoehorned implementation (Crysis).

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
I do feel some gamers are using gyro aiming in full instead of using it as a fine adjustment. Using it as full aiming there might be quite a bit of movement, but if you use the analog to get 90% to the target then a very slight movement of the controller to to get the headshot its amazing. It was so hard playing Horizon after playing BOTW.