• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I don't know what is the best part of this thread, the news about an amazing game selling well, or the salt from the haters.

Congratz to Bend. I hope this success means we get Days Gone 2 on the PS5.

It's all that along with the ones calling people who are calling out salty people, as salty people.

uploads%252Fcard%252Fimage%252F998849%252F4e115463-15b4-428c-b601-5f36005fd19d.png%252F950x534__filters%253Aquality%252880%2529.png

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
So Sekiro sold 157k debut in Japan, and Days Gone sold 114k debut, so the difference in Japan is likely not really nearly enough to close the gap in other territories (US, EMEAA etc). I think it's fair to assume from the data we have, that Days Gone is likely to have shipped more than Sekiro world wide (potentially notably more), in other words, more than 3.8m, which if true, would be super impressive for an exclusive developed by ~130 devs (60 at one point), a new IP, and one that had a fairly mixed reception.
PC is a big platform for Sekiro and that won't be inese charts, I think.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
But a lot of critics seemed to judge it from the early reveal and never really seemed to engage beyond cries of 'Generic'. When you have critics questioning why a perfectly valid premise for a game even exists, that's when I question the negative stance.

Sure, that's dumb if true. Nobody else has done Walking Dead x Sons of Anarchy before. I just thought the problems were mostly execution, not concept.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Glad to see it did well. I really enjoyed the game. If they would add NG+ I would give it another spin.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
As usual, so many people just seem dead set on hoping this game would fail for no damn reason. So happy it is doing great. Can't wait for a sequel! For Bend's first AAA game, they knocked it out of the park.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It actually took some steps back in gameplay from CD1, but yeah, the main draw was the cloud tech and they failed to deliver.

I don't know if that's on MS or on Sumo, but they probably should have canned it when they did Sxalebound.

Nah, that would have been a shame, since the series is still quite unique both in terms of structure and the platforming that it still feels different enough from what's out there. And Crackdown 3's campaign is great. What they should have done, was can the multi player and instead have been laser focused on what makes Crackdown Crackdown. The cloud tech multi player created the wrong set of expectations, which helped shape the narrative surrounding the game and it possibly added to the development troubles it went through.

I wanna cry if we've lost it forever now :(

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Great news again for Days Gone and single player games in general. Well deserved Bend, it's just unfair/sad on Sony's part that we don't get any sales update while Horizon and God of War got many... last time they did that was with Driveclub IIRC. Let's hope Bend and their game doesn't get Driveclubbed.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
and people still can't stop shitting on this game....

now its "well open world and zombies obviously sell"

smh

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
and people still can't stop shitting on this game....

now its "well open world and zombies obviously sell"

smh

Before release: game will be a commercial failure, people are tired of zombies and open world

After release: ofcourse the game is selling well, it's zombies and open world

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Winning a race of two is still a victory. I guess...
The victory is selling really good in this huge negative environment (forums and other internet media), so good that it seems to have done equal or better than acclaimed Sekiro which is close to 4 million, and also seems quite close to also acclaimed RE2 , established IP.
And this being on a single platform.
Another victory is that many people that bought it are pleased with their purchase, so that bodes well for a sequel and Bend's future.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The victory is selling really good in this huge negative environment (forums and other internet media), so good that it seems to have done equal or better than acclaimed Sekiro which is close to 4 million, and also seems quite close to also acclaimed RE2 , established IP.
And this being on a single platform.
Another victory is that many people that bought it are pleased with their purchase, so that bodes well for a sequel and Bend's future.
Yea, if days gone 2 can make something even close to an uncharted 2 tier jump, this can become somethung really big.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, that would have been a shame, since the series is still quite unique both in terms of structure and the platforming that it still feels different enough from what's out there. And Crackdown 3's campaign is great. What they should have done, was can the multi player and instead have been laser focused on what makes Crackdown Crackdown. The cloud tech multi player created the wrong set of expectations, which helped shape the narrative surrounding the game and it possibly added to the development troubles it went through.

I wanna cry if we've lost it forever now :(

Yeah, maybe canning the multiplayer would have helped the game, but it still broke my heart to see what became of Crackdown with 3.

The first will forever remain one of the most unique gameplay experiences I've had. Nothing will ever come close to replicating how it felt progressing in CD1. To go from lowly agent to the most beastly motherfucker jumping over buildings in a single leap has and likely never will be replicated and don't get me started on the transforming vehicles.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Good Faith Question.

What is great about the game in your opinion? I passed on it cause it looked like another zombie game. I am a convincible buy since it's on sale.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Only 10k behind Resident Evil 2 is just phenomenal.

New IP vs a 20+ year old franchise.
I'm surprised RE2 has sold more as Days Gone was the better selling out of the gate and seemed to have better legs. Although I guess RE was multiplat (despite PS getting the lions share) and it's been out longer.

FFObsessed

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cant quite decided whether Days Gone or Sekiro is my fav game thus year 🤔

Would definitely like to know Days Gone total sales/shipment.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Good Faith Question.

What is great about the game in your opinion? I passed on it cause it looked like another zombie game. I am a convincible buy since it's on sale.

Core gameplay is pretty solid. Riding the bike (after a few upgrades) is pretty fun and engaging, interesting enough that traversal is compelling on its own, IMO. The bike needs some management, and riding around actually requires some thought. Horde encounters are very, very intense, unlike anything I've played before, and very well integrated into the game world. The way the world is structured makes for quite a bit of emergent gameplay.

The story isn't amazing, but it's good enough, if a bit meandering, with uneven characterization. There are some good ideas there, they're just not explored well enough, sometimes the execution is a bit off.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good Faith Question.

it never looked like yet another zombie game to me. its a story focused narrative driven game by Sony first party studio who have been putting out fantastic story driven titles all gen.

As for gameplay, if the horde in the first gameplay trailer made it look like just another zombie game to you then nothing i say will convince you otherwise. its got the most deadliest zombies ive ever seen in a video game. the most number of enemies on screen at once. the way they move is unlike anything else out there. not even the latest world war z game looks this good.

taking out these hordes (there are 40 in the game) is the most exhilirating experience ive had this gen. right up there with the valkries in God of war and boss fights in sekiro. they give you dozens of weapons and tools to kill these zombies and sometimes its still not enough.

the story has got heart. the characters are all extremely well realized. its not a story for kids who want a good guy vs bad guy story made for the marvel movie generation. its got flawed characters who do flawed things because of who they are, and thats what makes this story more mature and better than most video game stories out there.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Days Gone is great because it sets up Bend to make an even better game. It's always great to have more AAA studios, and they clearly just stepped into that delivery mechanism.

I can see why teens and fodder are mad about it.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's actually good, it's just the beginning sucks the life out of you because you don't get to take on hordes till closer to end game.

If that was front and center with your upgrades different story. Same goes for story beats as well.

It's one of those things that makes me understand why so many games do the almost now cliche "opening of the game takes place somewhere near the endpoint of the game, then we flashback to '2 weeks earlier', and the game sets your character back to level 1." so many gamers are impatient, and hate a slow burn (another reason why so many modern action movies jump into the action within the first 10-15 minutes of the movie, instead of establishing character/tone/plot), so developers compensate by teasing late game content at the start, then reign that in (either by depowering the character, or using the aforementioned flashback technique).

Days Gone most certainly has a rough start. It takes its time to set up its protagonist and supporting character, and holds your hand for a lot longer than what we're used to, and doesn't open up until after at least the first 2 hours of gameplay. Once the training wheels are off, the game really sings. If you have the misfortune of stumbling across a horde early game, you learn really quickly that you are not prepared to deal with them. Eventually, you'll have upgraded your skills and weapons to the point where Hordes are manageable, but still terrifying and can quickly go south.

I can't think of many open world Zombie games with an interesting story and cast of characters (Deek is a prick early on by design. he's not meant to be instantly endearing like Nathan Drake in the first scene of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, but he grows as a character over the course of the game, and because the game is so long and methodical, it takes its time letting you get into Deek's head and understand his worldview, even if you don't agree with it. he's actually a surprisingly well thought out character).

Getting past that first two hour block is the hardest part of Days Gone. Not every game needs to start off like God of War 3, but I can understand how people can check out. Sticking with it past that block, though, is so, so worth it.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Core gameplay is pretty solid. Riding the bike (after a few upgrades) is pretty fun and engaging, interesting enough that traversal is compelling on its own, IMO. The bike needs some management, and riding around actually requires some thought. Horde encounters are very, very intense, unlike anything I've played before, and very well integrated into the game world. The way the world is structured makes for quite a bit of emergent gameplay.

The story isn't amazing, but it's good enough, if a bit meandering, with uneven characterization. There are some good ideas there, they're just not explored well enough, sometimes the execution is a bit off.
it never looked like yet another zombie game to me. its a story focused narrative driven game by Sony first party studio who have been putting out fantastic story driven titles all gen.

As for gameplay, if the horde in the first gameplay trailer made it look like just another zombie game to you then nothing i say will convince you otherwise. its got the most deadliest zombies ive ever seen in a video game. the most number of enemies on screen at once. the way they move is unlike anything else out there. not even the latest world war z game looks this good.

taking out these hordes (there are 40 in the game) is the most exhilirating experience ive had this gen. right up there with the valkries in God of war and boss fights in sekiro. they give you dozens of weapons and tools to kill these zombies and sometimes its still not enough.

the story has got heart. the characters are all extremely well realized. its not a story for kids who want a good guy vs bad guy story made for the marvel movie generation. its got flawed characters who do flawed things because of who they are, and thats what makes this story more mature and better than most video game stories out there.

Thank you both for the feedback. The price seems right now.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
As usual, so many people just seem dead set on hoping this game would fail for no damn reason. So happy it is doing great. Can't wait for a sequel! For Bend's first AAA game, they knocked it out of the park.
Yeah it's been since like Syphon Filter since they'd been on a full scale console game, great to see Bend make the big jump successfully with this game.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017
Is Anthem the only other "major" New IP to release this year?
Winning a race of two is still a victory. I guess...

Some Notable New IP releases so far in 2019:
Anthem
Days Gone
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Left Alive
Generation Zero
Dreams (Early Access)
Blood & Truth
Outer Wilds
Slay the Spire
A Plague Tale: Innocence
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
My Friend Pedro
Judgment
SolSeraph
The Church In The Darkness
Sea of Solitude
Katana Zero
My Time at Portia
Vane
Wargroove
A bunch more Indie Titles.

Still to come:
Rad
Remnant: From the Ashes
Oninaki
Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey
Control
Astral Chain
The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan
Warsaw
GreedFall
Daemon X Machina
Code Vein
Concrete Genie
Indivisible
The Outer Worlds
Death Stranding

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Great game, rough start and its
not as polished as horizon, gow or TLOU, but thats a pretty high bar to reach.

The hordes are some of the most exhilarating games mechanics ive encountered this gen.

The ending was really heartwarming and
And that sequel bait was wow.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Some Notable New IP releases so far in 2019:
Anthem
Days Gone
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Left Alive
Generation Zero
Dreams (Early Access)
Blood & Truth
Outer Wilds
Slay the Spire
A Plague Tale: Innocence
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
My Friend Pedro
Judgment
SolSeraph
The Church In The Darkness
Sea of Solitude
Katana Zero
My Time at Portia
Vane
Wargroove
A bunch more Indie Titles.

Still to come:
Rad
Remnant: From the Ashes
Oninaki
Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey
Control
Astral Chain
The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan
Warsaw
GreedFall
Daemon X Machina
Code Vein
Concrete Genie
Indivisible
The Outer Worlds
Death Stranding

A AAA multi million dollar marketed game selling more than all those incredible indie games. Just WOW.