• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Still haven't picked this up, yet I'm happy it did well, as I can imagine Bend Studio has proper tools, a game pipeline, a freshish IP (even though the zombie apocalypse framework is getting tired) and a new lease on development.

I could of imagined a completely different outcome had this bombed commercially.

Their next game should be stellar!

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
What a joke. Sekiro is far superior and selling less than a janky zombie game.

3054077849_457b332440_b.jpg

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Pfft o plz ain't nobody gonna say them things bout tlou2 lol ain't nobody gonna wrote a thesis on why clickers are zombies like they did freakers(yes this happened)

They did but that was for part 1 .
Truth is TLOU went thru everything DG did but the open world part and had a bigger ND wasting time .
Still we had more info which made people shut up about TLOU ( aside from ND don't make games nonsense )compare to DG after wards .

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I will buy this game soon...I was reluctant to do it, but for some reason, the 4 or 5 friends that I know that have been investing time in Days Gone all of them after having invested a lot of hours in the game, all are saying that they love it.

so I'll give it a chance.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I think largely what it boils down to is that it's very safe. Or at least as safe as a big-budget, AAA game can get in today's market. Zombies, open world, light stealth mechanics, skill trees, side-quests, so on and so forth. A game with little identity of its own, but bearing many of the hallmarks to guarantee it commercial success. And then on top of all that were the obvious similarities to a certain mega-successful, Sony-owned IP that has a new instalment coming out next year.

Days Gone had the stench of over-familiarity all over it from the day it was announced, and some people responded negatively to that.
That's how I exactly feel about the game, nicely said.
Regardless, i'm super happy for Bend and Sony on a successful new IP. Also, I think only 6 people worked on the open world portion and that's impressive to me.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Days Gone is one of those games where it's easy to pick holes in it, but I really like it. One of those 7/10s that goes on to become a bit of a cult classic.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
This thread is bad for people with hypertension...

There have been over 27 2D platformers on just a single platform this gen in the last 2 years alone

Yes, but that's no surprise when you consider the platform.

It's OK. Your good taste and judgement isn't undermined by other people enjoying something you don't like.

Besides, Sekiro is just a generic From 3rd person action game with high difficulty.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol the salt because a good game sold better than a different good game in a completely different genre doing completely different things.

Well earned, Days Gone was fantastic, and had some incredible character writing!

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I finally started Days Gone when it went on sale for like $20 on Newegg. I've been very pleased with it so far. Very enjoyable game, despite the rough edges.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
It is and I've played both (still love Days Gone though), but... Sekiro is through-and-through a FromSoftware game, which for many is still an important barrier that makes people not buy their games. Days Gone has more of a mass market appeal... similar to The Last of Us but open-world (which is basically that lol).

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
So much salt in this thread, including from people who are commenting on the "salt". Yeesh.

It's strange but it feels like there's just toxicity coming from all sides with this game.

I remember it had a luke-warm unveiling with many feeling as though it had little identity and a lot of AAA check-box design. Early hands-on impressions weren't that great either.

It feels like it didn't really come together until weeks before launch when more and more footage started dropping, making the game seem more interesting.

But by then those on board the train were hyper-defensive about the game for whatever reason.

Then middling reviews started dropping (mostly due to bugs and performance issues) and the fanbase seemed to get even more defensive.

Oddly though, the game started getting word-of-mouth traction in spite of those low review scores and when it started ranking in NPDs the floodgates opened and suddenly anyone who criticized the game were "salty".

I'm glad it's doing well and I'd like to see Bend take another crack at the IP, but it just feels like the game is mired in really negative discourse from both fans and detractors alike.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why are we talking about how many 2D platformers are released for the Switch in this thread about a PS4 exclusive selling well?

Because people often (inc in this thread) refer to Days Gone as generic or over played, and 2D platformers and said games, was an example of a genre that doesn't get any where near the same number of similar complaints, despite having considerably more releases.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are we talking about how many 2D platformers are released for the Switch in this thread about a PS4 exclusive selling well?
You know why.

It's strange but it feels like there's just toxicity coming from all sides with this game.

I remember it had a luke-warm unveiling with many feeling as though it had little identity and a lot of AAA check-box design. Early hands-on impressions weren't that great either.

It feels like it didn't really come together until weeks before launch when more and more footage started dropping, making the game seem more interesting.

But by then those on board the train were hyper-defensive about the game for whatever reason.

Then middling reviews started dropping (mostly due to bugs and performance issues) and the fanbase seemed to get even more defensive.

Oddly though, the game started getting word-of-mouth traction in spite of those low review scores and when it started ranking in NPDs the floodgates opened and suddenly anyone who criticized the game were "salty".

I'm glad it's doing well and I'd like to see Bend take another crack at the IP, but it just feels like the game is mired in really negative discourse from both fans and detractors alike.
Yeah, I think people got so defensive against toxicity, they became toxic themselves. Happens all the time on the internet.
That said, I'm not too surprised at who says what across the board.

I finally started Days Gone when it went on sale for like $20 on Newegg. I've been very pleased with it so far. Very enjoyable game, despite the rough edges.
Oh yeah, I really really hope they put out a next one to build on it and sand the edges.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Because people often (inc in this thread) refer to Days Gone as generic or over played, and 2D platformers and said games, was an example of a genre that doesn't get any where near the same number of similar complaints, despite having considerably more releases.
How many TV shows, films or comics have 2D platformers had in recent years? Zombie fatigue can't just be ascribed to video games.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Can't freak the Deac!

It took me almost two months to beat DG but I had a really good time. I even wiped out all the horses.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How many TV shows, films or comics have 2D platformers had in recent years? Zombie fatigue can't just be ascribed to video games.

You're talking about completely different (non interactive) mediums, so I'm not sure that argument is necessarily nearly as strong.

These sorts of sales figures etc already argue otherwise anyway, in that clearly many consumers out there don't think zombie games are overly played or have zombie fatigue or whatever, else games like Days Gone wouldn't be selling as well as they are.