• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
4580544940230cljly.jpg

Gematsu said:
The PlayStation 4 version of Daymare: 1998 will launch both physically and digitally on February 20, 2020 in Japan via publisher DMM Games for 4,378 yen, retail listings reveal.

Gematsu said:
The third-person survival horror game was first released for PC on September 17. The game is planned for release on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in the west, but publishers Destructive Creations and All in! Games, and developer Invader Studios have yet to announce an official release date.

via Gematsu

4580544940230_2prksi.jpg

4580544940230_3bsjqh.jpg

4580544940230_4d1kzy.jpg

4580544940230_6nmkz3.jpg

4580544940230_72ikto.jpg

MetaCritic PC (62)

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I really want to play this, because it's right up my alley. But I played the demo on PC and I just cannot get past how hollow and dull the bullet impact feels when you fire your gun. I feel like if they had the enemies react better, or even just some better feedback/sound tweaks to the way guns fire, this game would be vastly improved.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Japan gets it first? That's shocking. Definitely want to play it when it gets released in the west though.

Oct 27, 2017
This is nice and I'm kinda interested, but goddamn, why don't we ever get games trying to ape classic Silent Hill on consoles? :'(

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan gets it first? That's shocking. Definitely want to play it when it gets released in the west though.

Nah probably not first, pre-orders for this just happened to go live at Japanese retailers. The Japanese publisher, DMM Games, hasn't even officially announced it yet as far as I can tell.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Phsyically?

I can finally play this.

Oct 27, 2017
Neat, I'll maybe check it out down the line if they implement a lot of QOL improvements from the PC version. It looked good but was a bit unpolished in a lot of ways, especially compared to RE2019.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched a review of this game not too long ago. Has a lot of problems and isn't very polished, so I probably wont get it. Hopefully a sequel refines it.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, so on PS4 first or should the title advise Xbox as well?
The article is based on a retail listing for the PS4 version and it's very unlikely that the Xbox ONE will get a physical version in Japan (so no listing). A digital release on the same day might be happening, but nothing to report so far.

And I guess most people will care about the Western release anyway. There's a good chance the console versions will be out worldwide on or around Feb 20 and the Japanese listing just showed up before an official announcement from the Western publisher(s). Fingers crossed for a physical release worldwide, I think the existence of the Japanese version is a good sign.

Last edited:
OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
The game is now out in Japan. Anyone playing it?

Daymare will be released in the Americas and Europe on April 28 on PS4 and Xbox ONE:

www.gematsu.com

Daymare: 1998 for PS4 and Xbox One launches April 28 in the west

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of Daymare: 1998 will launch on April 28 in the Americas and Europe, publishers Destructive Creations, All in! Games, and developer Invader Studios announced…

IGN ran an interesting article about the game today. I wasn't aware of the level of cooperation between Invader Studios and Capcom:

www.ign.com

Surviving Capcom: How a Fan-Made Resident Evil 2 Remake Led to Horror Game Daymare: 1998 - IGN

IGN Japan and IGN Italy visited the team at Invader Studios, who shared all about the call from Capcom that led to Daymare: 1998.
In 2015, development of Resident Evil 2: Reborn, the fan-made remake of the classic survival-horror game, came crashing to a halt when the young development team in small-town Italy received a call from Capcom politely asking them to stop.

[...]– they knew the IP was not theirs to use. Rather than intending to monetize the project, they saw it as a way to hone their skills as game developers and maybe, just maybe, garner them some attention.

Which it did – after hundreds of thousands of YouTube plays, the team received a call from Capcom's European marketing office. And that was the end of the project.

The team was invited to visit Capcom's Osaka office, where they were shown top-secret early builds of the as-yet-unannounced Resident Evil 7 and – yep – Capcom's own over-the-shoulder third-person action game remake of Resident Evil 2.

At the meeting in Osaka, feedback went both ways, and Capcom offered advice and contacts that would set Invader Studios on the path to Daymare, their first complete game release.

The team were able to make contact with Kazuhiro Aoyama, who worked on the original Resident Evil as a planner and later directed Resident Evil 3 – and who agreed to become the "Producer Associate" on Daymare, Along with artist Satoshi Nakai, who brought his experience on Resident Evil: Code Veronica and Resident Evil 0 to the Invader Studios project as enemy creature designer.

Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting how closely the UI is copying the ones from RE7/RE2R despite it starting off as their own vision of a RE2 remake

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That guy from Dexter is in it, nice.

I would actually like to play this eventually on consoles... for a low price.

MV5BNzE1NTY4MzY5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDc3ODA2OTE@._V1_.jpg

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Quick heads-up about the Japanese PS4 disc version: You can play the game in English, both text and audio

The in-game menu also offers options for Italian, German, Russian, French, Spanish, Portuguese and Chinese. Thing is, the switch currently doesn't work. I believe the game checks your default system language during install and just sticks with it.

Daymare already received 2 patches since release so I hope this gets fixed soon.

I've played the first 2 chapters so far, the game has a certain charm (think B-games like Carrier or Extermination) combined with a more modern presentation (budget REmake 2) and lots of RE easter eggs. There's some fun to be had, but I wouldn't recommend anyone buy this game in its current state.

The animations and dialogue are horrible, especially during cut-scenes. Some of it might be a deliberate throwback but I don't think it works well at all. Apart from the faces and character animations/dialogue, the presentation is pretty good (think early PS4, UE4 title) so the contrast is just too stark, even for a "so bad it's good mindset".

So far, the story is a completely forgettable series of cliches, full of military gobbledygook and a laughable amount of swearwords. Subtitles often don't line up properly with the audio and dialogue can be paced very unnaturally. Again, some of this might be on purpose but I don't think it works because of the modern veneer.

The game runs OK on PS4 Pro, but there's some heavy input lag which often makes you miss a shot (the game offers an aim-assist option which I haven't used, could be a temporary fix). The input-lag issue is even worse during a timing-based hacking game. Hope this gets improved via patch soon. Overall, the controls with the controller are sluggish. The in-game menus on your PDA and ammo management system are really neat on paper (and maybe a PC keyboard), but they don't work well at all with the limited buttons of a Dualshock.

The enemy AI isn't good and you have to kite enemies a lot because of limited ammo, but that hasn't really bother me so far.

Puzzles are straight out of the earlier RE games. Be prepared for some trial and error and maybe keep a pen and paper ready. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I like them so far (except one involving the Greek alphabet that got old quickly).

I'm still rooting for this dev team and I hope they make good use of the 2 months until the international release, the game still needs a lot more polish. I really wanted to like Daymere and recommend this import to fellow survival horror fans who need a RE fix before April, but the game just isn't worth its asking price right now.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The void
Has anyone played this? Think it has been on the psn for a couple weeks. I have tomorrow off so was gonna drink and download it tonight. In the mood for some silly fun.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Got my copy in the UK a little while ago. It has promise but I had to stop playing because the framerate was just awful and the input lag for aiming made it worse.. I was playing on a PS4pro. No idea if its been patched since.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had no ideia this was already out in the West. I want to play it eventually.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
It's $40 on US PSN. I feel like it is one of those games that will be 20 bucks in a Halloween sale. I'm so tempted though lol. I want to play a horror game where you can shoot and kill zombies/enemies. I'm sick of those hide and seek games.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017

Xbox One X renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080.
Both PS4 and PS4 Pro render at a native resolution of approximately 1232x693 and use temporal upsampling to increase the pixel count up to 1536x864.
Xbox One renders at a native resolution of 1280x720 and uses temporal upsampling to increase the pixel count up to 1600x900.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
This game is not great. Check out some of the playthrough from LoadingReadyRun below before you decide if it's for you. I love some jank games, but this fell on the side of frustrating instead of fun.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played a couple hours of this just today and while it's not great... visuals are average with decent enough level of detail to everything but with a rough low-res look to it all at the same time and iffy performance. Honestly though... it's not the worst thing I've ever played gameplay wise I suppose.

It's definitely just a low rent Resi 2 Remake rip off with some added inventory micro-management and slightly more puzzle focus (so far at least). Even has some eye-rollingly on-the-nose Resi gags/references... but if you liked recent Resi titles then this is as close as you'll get to more of the same (but worse obvs).

As a budget release it's okay-ish, but I'd recommend waiting regardless as I can see the price coming down on it before too long.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
Played a couple hours of this just today and while it's not great... visuals are average with decent enough level of detail to everything but with a rough low-res look to it all at the same time and iffy performance. Honestly though... it's not the worst thing I've ever played gameplay wise I suppose.

It's definitely just a low rent Resi 2 Remake rip off with some added inventory micro-management and slightly more puzzle focus (so far at least). Even has some eye-rollingly on-the-nose Resi gags/references... but if you liked recent Resi titles then this is as close as you'll get to more of the same (but worse obvs).

As a budget release it's okay-ish, but I'd recommend waiting regardless as I can see the price coming down on it before too long.
This is for sure a contender for the yearly Halloween sale. Will probably be $20-25 USD.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
They can gtfo with that PS4 Pro resolution. Even the X resolution is bad this game doesn't look much better than Dead Space 1.

gnoclaude

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
This game was one big missed opportunity. It's not horrid but it's unremarkable. The atmosphere is decent but I couldn't really enjoy it. If it had hit reactions like RE2, an adjustable fov, and a streamlined inventory it would be really enjoyable. I got it for 8 bucks and kind of regret taking a chance on it. I get it's a small team but a non adjustable fov on PC? Patch it and fix the wooden animations at the least.

Holy heck I forgot to mention the worst voice acting I have ever heard. It was atrocious as was the writing. Some of the sentences make no sense.