• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
DST forever and always please. Winter is very depressing. Wake up in the morning to be greeted by darkness, get home from work to be greeted by darkness. I don't see daylight on a weekday until spring rolls around.

My man.

I tend to work a later schedule (9-6ish) so in the past 4 months I've seen daylight leaving work only a handful of times, and those were days I left early. Along with the snow, I'm starting to hate winter since it's a miserable slog. When I had snow days and more free time during the day it was easier to get through

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Leaving work in the dark is the absolute worst. I look forward to it being dark in the morning but light when I get home.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why anyone would prefer DST over standard time. It's going to be dark when you leave work or higher education regardless of the option (assuming you follow the typical schedule), but with standard time you might at least have some sunlight when you wake up. Or am I delusional here? And didn't Russia try going with DST and it was a disaster?

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Lame. Standard time is vastly superior. Having to wake up when it's still dark and cold is the worst.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why anyone would prefer DST over standard time. It's going to be dark when you leave work or higher education regardless of the option (assuming you follow the typical schedule), but with standard time you might at least have some sunlight when you wake up. Or am I delusional here? And didn't Russia try going with DST and it was a disaster?

?? Do you live in Alaska? The sun sets at 4:40pm at the earliest in Toronto, and there are not many places in the US more north than Toronto. Switching to DST will make that 5:40pm.

KamalaHarris

Oct 28, 2017
you are delusional

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
DST>Standard time, that extra hour of sunlight after work is very much welcome after a winter of darkness and shit and depression.

I hope this passes because it'll force Canada to change to permanent DST as well.

Nov 14, 2017
Well I never thought of that factor because I have black out blinds in my room so regardless it's always dark. I find travelling to work in the dark relaxing tbh. It feels like I'm not wasting any time where I could be doing other tasks outside.
It's more a question of your chronotype. If you're not a morning person and are stuck in a morning job, DST is brutal.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland has a public consultation with the two option. Still prefer Winter. Sun rising at 4am in Summer is a negative.

Seasonal%20Clock%20Change.png

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
It's miserable leaving work and having it already pitch black outside. Who the hell cares if it's light or dark during your drive to work? You're driving... to work.

DST > Standard Time

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
When do you get out of work/ where do you live

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to determine what shift you work that it's "always dark" regardless of the option

I'd rather have sunlight when I'm out of the office around 5:30/6 - why would I possibly care about seeing daylight as I'm going into an office building for 9-10 hours?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I actually prefer the time change. Is that a weird opinion? My body sort of naturally adjusts to each switch ahead of the switch a fee weeks early each time anyway, and the change isn't a huge disruption.

If made to choose, I prefer light in the morning to the evening though.

args

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i honestly hate the sun going down earlier but hate the actual switching of the time more. i don't care which way, just get rid of the goddamn time switch

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's miserable leaving work and having it already pitch black outside. Who the hell cares if it's light or dark during your drive to work? You're driving... to work.

DST > Standard Time

This is what I don't get. Under what world is seeing the sun for a few hours before work even close to being preferable to after work having the sun. You can't do shit in the morning. If its before work you'll be too busy getting ready for and worrying about work to actually do shit. And on the way to work, who cares if it is still dark out. You are going to work. It's not suppose to be fun.

Move the extra hour to the afternoon for when you get out. Then when you are literally done for the day. You have all the time in the world, with several hours of sun to actually go do fun things with a clear mind and empty schedule ahead of you.

Winter is going to suck regardless in the winter. No matter what you do it is going to suck if you don't live on the Equator. So let's make the other 3/4 of the year better instead.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno

I want the sunlight in the afternoon/evening, when I'm not chained to my desk or car.

My schedule is 10-6:30, what good does it do to have sun in the morning since

A) DST or standard won't affect my morning commute, since the sun will be up regardless.

B) It'll be dark before I get off and I can't enjoy that time.

There's nothing I hate more then the sun going down at 4:30 in the afternoon. It's depressing as hell (especially with how this Minnesota winter has been). I want to get out and do things, standard time prevents me from doing that.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
More nightnime please. I don't want the sun blinding my eyes when I drive home from work and it being really hot for longer in the day. Night is fine and chill. I hate this time of the year. Another vote for Fuck DST and Rubio.

perry0718

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
People understand that days get longer on their own without the aid of DST, right? I mean, back in December it was getting dark around 5, last night it was light out until past 6pm. And in the summer without DST, sunset would hit at around 8pm or so. It's a totally unnecessary and archaic concept. And now, for people like me who were just getting some light during our 6:30 drives to work, we're screwed again.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
People in here are crazy. More light later seems objectively better imo. Though honestly I'd like to see some in depth statistics on average American wake up and morning commute times, but it makes more sense to me to improve visibility at a time when nearly 100 percent of the population can take advantage of it as opposed to maybe half who get up at 6AM.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Have no clue about Russia but idk unless you live in Alaska or something you're factually wrong about it getting dark always before you leave work.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
People understand that days get longer on their own without the aid of DST, right? I mean, back in December it was getting dark around 5, last night it was light out until past 6pm. And in the summer without DST, sunset would hit at around 8pm or so. It's a totally unnecessary and archaic concept. And now, for people like me who were just getting some light during our 6:30 drives to work, we're screwed again.
Is anyone saying that DST makes the days longer? You're just re explaining why people like DST. It'll be light out later more of the time. Saying that it'll still get dark early for a portion of the year doesn't change that that portion of the year would be smaller.

Also all you people crying about the possibility of not seeing a peak of light on your drive to work are hilarious. Yep seeing a crack of light on a drive is so much more important than actually existing in the evening on your personal time while there actual light outside. Do you guys just go right to bed after work?

AlphaMale

Dec 21, 2017
WaPo has reported that two Florida lawmakers, Marco Rubio in the U.S. Senate and Vern Buchanan in the U.S. House has introduced a Senate and House bill that if passed would make Daylight Savings Time the permanent standard time for the entire year in the U.S.: https://www.washingtonpost.com/scie...unhealthy-critics-say/?utm_term=.bbc43be29bdb
U.S. Rep. Vern Buchanan's announcement: https://buchanan.house.gov/media-ce...duce-bill-make-daylight-saving-time-permanent

YES PLEASE!!! Keep it at DST and have that as the permanent time moving forward. Thanks!

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Winter is my favorite season and there is nothing worse than having sunlight when it should be dark. Standard time please.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
We should get rid of time zones while we are at it... make it the same time everywhere... I'm sure that wouldn't cause any issues...