• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hate daylight savings time. Nothing worse than it being 730 pm and the sun is still hitting you.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer standard time since I like the night, but I also would like to just have one or the other and stop having to switch between the two.

Nov 17, 2017
You have people getting out of work in 2am, what's your point?
Most people work 9 -5 or close to it. The person I responded to was talking about preferring it be light when they leave for work in the morning. If you get out of work at 2AM, you wouldn't be leaving for work during the hours of the morning where it would be dark anyway so DLST wouldn't even matter.

What's your point? I feel like you knew exactly what I was talking about but are making it something else.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It sounds like everyone is sick of flipping their clocks but we can't decide to keep dst or standard time.

I vote we make everyone upset and split the middle and go with standard time plus 30 minutes.

Nov 14, 2017
Glad to see they're following the EU with this. Hopefully changing the clocks back and forth will become a thing of the past soon.

And why does anyone want more light in the morning? All you're doing is going to work (aka the torture chamber). Wouldn't you rather have time to live and enjoy your day with sunlight after work when you can relax?
Because if you have to get up early, it's hell trying to get out of bed when your body is telling you it's still the dead of night.

Ribs

Dec 10, 2017
It's Standard Time for a reason. We're supposed to have those time zones, no need to change them. If you're not happy with the amount of daylight you're getting, move south.

That being said, despite my hatred for DST, I hate having to switch twice every year even more, so I will reluctantly agree to a permanent DST.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
It sounds like everyone is sick of flipping their clocks but we can't decide to keep dst or standard time.

I vote we make everyone upset and split the middle and go with standard time plus 30 minutes.

I am willing to bet majority of Americans would vote to keep DST over standard time. Honestly if I had to deal with standard time in the summer I would vote just to keep it as is instead of changing. People complaining about the sun still being up at 730pm? It makes me feel like someone doesn't go outside and play.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Man, my company decided we're going to start opening at 6:00AM this week. It's going to be like getting up at 4:00AM for awhile.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
I wish they'd do it in the UK. It's horrible in the winter when the sun goes down at 3pm. So glad BST is starting soon and it will be sunny until 7pm going forward.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If this is the only good my state will bring to this country then damnit I'll take it! DST is superior and should be the standard.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In WI a couple of state legislators introduced a bill to make standard time permanent, they immediately withdrew their bill because the vast majority of comments they received

Most people want DST, in Wisconsin state legislators introduced a bill to make standard time permanent. They immediately withdrew the bill because of the resounding response that they picked the wrong one. They then reintroduced the bill this time to make DST permanent

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am willing to bet majority of Americans would vote to keep DST over standard time. Honestly if I had to deal with standard time in the summer I would vote just to keep it as is instead of changing. People complaining about the sun still being up at 730pm? It makes me feel like someone doesn't go outside and play.
who wants to go outside and play when its triple digits?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Ya, it's not mid-winter anymore, so the sun is already starting to set ~6pm. In London, sunset on Feb 1st is 4:30pm, two months later on April 1st it's 7:30pm. Within 8 weeks it's 3 hours later!
Honestly that part of the world the sun is up way too late in the height of summer. Maybe I'm just biased as a parent but it shouldn't be light out after 9 in the evening.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ya, it's not mid-winter anymore, so the sun is already starting to set ~6pm. In London, sunset on Feb 1st is 4:30pm, two months later on April 1st it's 7:30pm. Within 8 weeks it's 3 hours later!
yes, people dont seem to grasp that the days get longer in the summer, shorter in the winter. Thats why DST sucks, why would you want to add an extra hour of sun to regular hours when the sun is already out at its longest and hottest. Id rather that hour of sun get used up in the morning while Im at an AC'd place like at work or school.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
It really depends on what latitude you are in. I am at 52° North and benefit from permanent Winter time than summertime.

At the moment dawn in December is 8.30 and sunset is 4.30. If staying on permanent summer dawn will be 09.30 and sets at 5.30. Working 9-6 I will be receive less sunlight.

Permanent Winter time in Summer it will be completely dark at 10.30 in the evening instead of 11.30 which for me would be great as I get an hour extra sleep in the summer.

June 21st can't come soon enough.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
Because if you have to get up early, it's hell trying to get out of bed when your body is telling you it's still the dead of night.
Well I never thought of that factor because I have black out blinds in my room so regardless it's always dark. I find travelling to work in the dark relaxing tbh. It feels like I'm not wasting any time where I could be doing other tasks outside.

purpleturtle

Jan 27, 2019
DST forever and always please. Winter is very depressing. Wake up in the morning to be greeted by darkness, get home from work to be greeted by darkness. I don't see daylight on a weekday until spring rolls around.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Whichever keeps it dark in the morning is perfect. I hate going to work with the sun out. Too depressing.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't really give a fuck which one they choose, just make the clock changing stop.

And gratz to Rubio for doing something that isn't either stupid or craven, or both.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really give a fuck which one they choose, just make the clock changing stop
This is how I feel.

"But my sunlight."

I'm tired of my sleep schedule suffering, car accidents and suicides increasing, because of your ridiculous dislike of the day's end. We need to make a decisive decision already, like real American should.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Live in Canada and there is nothing better than being out at night approaching 10 oclock and the sun is still sort of up. Makes summer feel more special.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Permanent DST.

At least until we start hitting some of those climate change temperature threshold scenarios, then we'll probably be resetting the clock backwards a few hours just to limit our exposure to the overbearing power of the sun.

But for now, I want that sunlight at 8pm.