• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
DST was introduced by Nazi Germany from the false sense that it would save energy. It doesn't save energy and unless you live in Alaska, the sun doesn't stay up longer

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I completely forgot about this and woke up super late wondering how I managed to sleep in so much today...

Man, fuck Daylight Savings.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pumped, an extra hour of daylight after work so I can go do shiet.

Let's just stick to DST period and not change the clocks anymore, please.

Mills

Oct 28, 2017
Move the clock backward 30 minutes during fall back and leave it there, everyone is happy

/s

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So it wasn't even something to help farmers in the 1700 or 1800s. People acting like it was around during the beginning of time. How did humanity ever enjoy the sun before 1916
I guess back then there was no "unified" time yet. I know in Germany there could be different times in different towns, probably derived from sundials. In 1893 this was changed and time was unified, mainly for train schedules to work properly.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I'm fed up with it, DST creates more problems than it solves for many of us. It might have made more sense when people worked outside more, or relied more on natural light. It's just too bad that we are kinda stuck with it because there's so much other stuff to worry about politically that things like this constantly get shoved to the back burner, making abolishment of it pain in the ass.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I can't muster up any kind of strong emotion regarding the clocks changing. Blows me away a bit that people feel SO passionate about it.

Oct 25, 2017
My team in the Netherlands hasn't done daylight savings yet so my morning meeting for the next couple weeks will be an hour later. It will be a nice transition for me.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I guess the problem is we have set schedules for work which we keep in defiance of the Earth, Sun, biology, and time itself.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Man, I love having more sun during the day and I love that the sun sets past 7pm from until the fall but like holy fuck, this shit fucking sucks. It's never really affected me until this year and I'm entirely thrown the fuck off by the simple time change. I know it'll take a week or so for me to get back to sleeping normally again but man, getting used to this change again sucks. However, it's a change I'm willing to have because I've been tired of it being dark way too fucking early in NYC for the last few months.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Give me back true noon, cowards.

Also having daylight savings time happen on the weekend instead of the middle of a work day (with everyone getting compensated for the lost hour) is some capitalist baloney.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
This shit hit harder than ever this year with two kids. Our youngest woke up at 6AM instead of the usual 7-8AM, and we ended up putting our oldest down a hour later cause he lost a hour.

I went to sleep alongside my wife instead of trying to get some gaming time in. I was defeated.

Smithy

Oct 25, 2017
Hate it as well. And even the reason for that is fucking stupid, as it's been debunked for how long do I know. Many before me already explained it. I agree to y'all homies. Stop this shit. Gimme back my hour to sleep.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
How much sunlight do you really need? If you live up north where summer is actually nice, the daylight hours are long anyway. Sunset times are probably already past 6 PM in most places on standard time.

Yeah, in Berlin the latest sunset in summer is near the end of June at around 21:30, with sunrise already at 04:44. That means it's often still light outside until about 22:00. That's a lot of sunshine hours. DST seems meaningless at that point.

Give me back true noon, cowards.

Also having daylight savings time happen on the weekend instead of the middle of a work day (with everyone getting compensated for the lost hour) is some capitalist baloney.

But of course. Billionaires losing an hour of work from their wage slaves workers? Unthinkable.

I guess we should consider ourselves lucky that the hour we go backwards when DST ends isn't in the middle of a work day. They'd probably pass legislation not to pay us for that hour if it was the case.

Feb 9, 2018
I prefer DST (summer time) over standard (winter) time. I'm not a morning person (in fact, I resent how the world seems to revolve around morning people), and even when I do have to get up in the morning it's never before sun-up regardless of the time of year (I never have to be to work before 9 AM), so having extra daylight in the morning does nothing for me. However, it's a big deal for me to have extra daylight in the afternoons/evenings.

This is especially important to me in the winter where there's fewer daylight hours in general. When I got out of work yesterday at 6:30, there was still a fair amount of daylight left even by time I got home, as opposed to the previous week when the sun was already setting. When I'm out doing things, I'm most active during the afternoons and evenings, and I hate it when it's already dark out by 6 PM. Just nudging that back to 7 PM would be a lot better. I just don't like being out at night, plus it being already dark out so early in the winter isn't good for my mood. I like sunlight. When it's already dark out by time I leave work, I just want to go straight home. Also, when I was a kid I liked actually having a decent amount of daylight after getting home from school, and I'm sure kids today would appreciate that, too.

Of course, during the summer the fact that it's not completely dark out until a bit after 9 PM is amazing.

Both Georgia and South Carolina, as well as 14 other states, have passed laws that, were they to go into effect, would move us to permanent DST/summer time (other states are considering such laws as well). That means that next time we spring forward, it stays that way and we would never fall back in the autumn ever again. However, the Constitution explicitly enumerates the power to "fix the Standards of Weights and Measurements" (which includes measurement of time) as a power of Congress, meaning we would need a federal law passed allowing states to move to permanent DST. I hope that comes to pass, because I'd love for permanent DST to be the law around here.