• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Out of curiosity I want to get a sense of what the battery life like is for other Day 1 Nintendo Switch owners using the same console since launch. Granted I play most of my games Docked, I just played a half hour of Animal Crossing on half brightness, half volume, and connected to the Internet and went from 100% to 72%. That felt like rapid decline but nothing out of the ordinary for decaying lithium ion batteries that are several years old now at this point. How is your battery life holding up?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't noticed any changes, although I have docked most of the time

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Get battery life anxiety so much I don't bother removing it from the dock anymore

Last edited:

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
My launch switch is docked 90% of the time. Does the battery degrade by constantly being charged?

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I assume it's the exact same as it used to be. I play my Lite more than anything now though, so yeah..

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Mine still seems pretty good - I'm usually able to get around three hours that said I never tend to use it for any longer than two. Also I play with brightness down and airplane mode on.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I had a launch Switch up until August when the revision came out that used less battery and I can definitely tell the difference, then again I'm mainly playing in handheld unless I'm streaming Pokemon battles so it would be a lot more noticeable for me.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
Pretty good actually. That something that worry me a lot, but since launch, I did not notice any degradation!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
As good as new, which is about 3 hours from a 3D game
It still feels about the same? I rarely play it for more than two hours at a time, so it's never been a problem for me.
Same here. Have had mine since May 2017. Just play it around the house and at night. Sits in the dock the rest of the time. Never take any trips longer than a few hours either, so haven't had the need for portable charging.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can still play Smash for around ~3 hours online, with the brightness fairly high and sound on. So about the same as launch honestly.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seems fine. Definitely feels minimal compared to some of my other devices, but I don't think it's lost any of it's capacity.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Seems fine. Even played it until the battery nearly died the other day cause I didn't realize the power strip was shut off. It lasted a few hours playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 so seems like it's fine to use.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Lasts about the average 2-3 hours depending on game.

I have the revised Switch as well which lasts a lot longer. But that thing doesn't leave the dock much with my Lite as my main portable device

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still getting the same amount of game time which is 3hrs and a bit :).

Pretty impressive reading that everyone's battery is just as good.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
It was bad when I got it and it's still bad now.
I'll give you a more in depth review if I ever take it out of the dock for more than an hour.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Bout the same. Around 3 hours for a 3D game. It's always been around 3 hours. Never been a great battery. One of my first purchases was an Anker powerbank but I rarely need it honestly because I'm never really away from a power source for long enough to need it.

But we do have two switches in my house so we sometimes have to swap out who is using it docked and who is using undocked. It's a slight inconvenience but we have are used to it. It's really the only time that I wish I had the newer model with the longer battery.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My Switch rides the dock. The few times I've actually used it portably, it gets about 2 and a half hours on a full charge.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly the same though I'm not a major user, barely more than casual at this stage in my life.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Same as day 1. Not that was especially great for demanding games, but it doesn't feel like anything has changed. I usually have a charger handy if I plan on playing for any extended time without the dock.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
About the same, which still isn't great. I play probably about 50/50 docked and portable even during quarantine. I do wish this thing had a better battery, I can't really justify buying the revision though.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
I understand that the launch switch battery isn't this best to begin with, and had thought of updating to new switch but it's not worth it as I generally play an hour or so then it's on the dock to charge it up.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I play 75% of the time docked, so it's hard to say, but so far, seems to be holding up well. The left analog sticks on the joycons/pro controller on the other hand....

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Had to replace my kid's Switch as the battery died, but then I replaced it, and now it won't go past the Nintendo logo.

The new battery is 100% okay and it charges just fine, but it's stuck in a boot loop, so I bit the bullet and bought the kid another Switch (New Revision).

I'm holding on to the old one in the event that I can one day escape it from its fate of bootlooping forever.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Feels about the same. Prior to the current craziness, I was playing it for 3+ hours prior to need a recharge. Stick drift is a bigger issue.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Last year mine completely died. Wouldn't charge. Stayed in for seconds.

I sent it in and they replaced it for free which was shocking. It was a solid year and a half out of warranty.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I'm never docked and I'm still getting the same battery life as when I bought it at launch

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
About the same I guess? I honestly don't remember what it was like when I bought it. Right now it seems like I can get 3 hours, maybe more but probably not 4, if I'm playing Witcher 3. Next time I play I'll track it.

I was thinking I'd damaged it, I've left it in my hot car on several occasions. But it seems like from everyone else's responses that 3-4 hours seems normal.