• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Don't mind the idea, but man... it looks bad. Animations are bad for sure, but even the character model is garbage. There are better free to use models with proper rigs etc on Mixamo, they should pick something there

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
First review has dropped...

Sounds like he would've enjoyed the game as a whole if it wasn't broken as hell.

However, that almost becomes an afterthought once the game's technical performance is brought into the equation. We're not entirely sure how it managed to pass PlayStation 4 certification to be perfectly honest. Dawn of Fear is absolutely plagued by game-breaking bugs and glitches which have the potential to force you into restarting the entire experience over again. From entire environments which fail to load in to the camera getting stuck between fixed transitions leading you to lose all control of Alex, it's a game in very rough shape.

Unfortunately, however, it gets worse. We were able to replicate a glitch which puts a stop to all progress as you become stuck in an interface asking for a safe code. An hour or so later, a simple puzzle failed to trigger correctly, leaving us without the key it spawns. We had to start over again on both occasions.

sado0og

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Zombies + tank control + fixed camera

That all i need to enjoy a survival horror game...

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
First review has dropped...

Sounds like he would've enjoyed the game as a whole if it wasn't broken as hell.
Hoping it gets a few more patches, since the review does sound like the game is a decent B-Horror Resident Evil clone, and the most surprising (and interesting) thing for me is him noting there's more enemies than just zombies and the enemies are actually pretty disturbing (there's a screenshot of a silhouette of one of them within his review, which yeah, it looks pretty interesting). And he mentions the intrigue in the game is there, which I find is crucial for these type of games.

Game breaking bugs is bad, hoping it gets patched since otherwise honestly as a horror enthusiast who's played and mostly enjoyed many Resident Evil clones from the PS1/PS2 era, and the more modern indie scene, this sounds like an interesting enough effort... if they can bug fix it more and fix up the technical side further.

I'll probably pick it up due to my own interest in such games, but I'm holding hope they'll fix it up some.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
For some reason i thought this was Cry of Fear coming to PS4, got the names confused, this looks cool though, fixed camera is so good for horror.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
The game breaking bugs sound pretty scary, but man this game looks and sounds really enjoyable when it isn't being busted.

I think I'm gonna take the leap and risk it, maybe (hopefully) this stuff gets patched and it can become a bit of a hidden gem over time.

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
Want to support the little guys and this initiative by Sony by ponying up 20 bucks, but those game breaking bugs means no deal. Will wait until a patch drops (hopefully).

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought it and looking forward to starting it after Zombie Army 4. Hopefully it will have had a patch or two before then.

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
Alright I caved in and bought it, beat it in one sitting. Man, what an endearing game. That Pushsquare review is on point and I agree with almost everything that's said there, including this is a recommended play despite its flaws. A sweet love letter to classic Resident Evil and Silent Hill games.

Yes, there are bugs that sometimes forces you to reboot the game. I ran into them a handful of times but loading is very quick, so didn't affect me too much. I almost fell into the same game breaking bug described in the Pushsquare article but rebooting the game fixed it. Minor, but I also got a bug where the game didn't let me get any of the trophies.

I fully expected jank, and I enjoyed the jankfest for the most part. But one of the biggest issues with the game was how certain late game enemies' attack motion doesn't seem to connect to the player character's hurtbox, but still damages me. These things can kill you with two hits, so sometimes I would end up HAS MUERTO. Oh, the game also needs an option to adjust brightness. Some places are so dark.

Enough about bugs and jank. The musical score is phenomenal, the gameplay is classic RE/SH, you can choose either tank controls with the dpad or "modern" controls with the analog stick. Some rooms and camera angles seem to have been lifted straight from RE1. The zombies don't have a lunge attack that sucks you in - you can dance your way through them with ease, which is a good thing in my book. The combat knife is amazing against basic zombie enemies - use them frequently to save up ammo! The story is surprisingly coherent and the plot makes clear sense. The actual house and the setting doesn't make sense at all but all is forgiven :)

It's a short game, with just a few boss fights (all but the final boss are gimmick fights, unfortunately), but you know what, I did have a fun time. I may revisit and even try to speed run this game. Just in terms of pure fun factor, I had a better time with this game than RE0 and post-Team Silent's SH games. This is a game I'd love to see touched up by professional dev teams (e.g., reliable performance, smoother framerates, actual cutscenes with voice acting). I'd say if the bugs get fixed, this qualifies as a hidden gem on the PS4.

Last edited:

Resident Evie

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I'm enjoying this a lot! I'm a few hours deep. I've had to reload a few times when environments didn't load properly and I got munched while disoriented. The Resident Evil nods and Easter eggs are all over this game. Especially that one location! Also just the experience of exploring an unknown mansion and trying to keep track of puzzles and your inventory is a nostalgic treat. I think I might restart using the analogue controls because using tank has caused me to get munched on fairly often and as such I'm low on health kits.
One nitpick, however, is that I wish they had gotten a native English speaker to proofread the text. It's not unintelligible or anything but the mistakes can be distracting. I wouldn't have minded the game being set in Spain if they had chosen to go that route, the architecture fits and it would have been interesting I think. Overall I'm liking this very much.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
On second boss atm. Very janky, no idea how it was approved to be released in this state. Also enemies that kill you in one hit are BS in this game.

Last edited: