• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Looks pretty awesome - the aesthetic honestly reminds me of the original Alone in the Dark on PC. (Always amuses me to hear people call something an RE clone when they themselves leaned so heavily on AITD as an influence)

tumblr_oxhlgsPowO1r7sijxo1_500.gif

EDIT: like a rented mule

It looks like the old alone in the dark games looks very interesting

More fixed camera survival horror can only be a good thing IMO (I loved REmake 2 but I'm still mildly bitter lol).

Hopefully they can work on those animations a bit, but I'll definitely keep my eye on it.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Seems the developer has a YouTube channel with a bit more footage if anyone is interested. Not a lot but a bit more.

It would need a very good community reception and/or a very low price for me to bite. Looks quite a few levels below even something like Deadly Premonition in terms of polish. Maybe it has its charm though like that game so who knows?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The graphics look fine, but the protagonist looks uninspired with no personality. Hopefully that was simply the marketing not showcasing it. Obviously the poor transition animations for the character doesn't help.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Reminds me of something that would be in one of those 3 SCARY GAMES videos Markiplier makes about once a week when he grabs random jank from Steam to fill his normal playlist. It's even complete with generic item names like KEY #2 and KEY #3! ;)

Oct 27, 2017
Did people commenting woof/similar read the blurb? This is by a small dev who're being supported by Sony Spain. Keep expectations in check.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017

So this game is actually technically a first-party Sony title, though in a bit of a weird way. Sony Spain has been working at a more recent "Playstation Talents" initative to more directly work with and support creators in parts of the world where game development is still on the rise in accessibility, giving dev kits and working with the teams to realize their games. The lead developer on this is Brok3nsite (a studio in Spain), though working with Sony Spain and being published by them.

It's PS4 exclusive, releases on February 3rd and has more than a bit of Resident Evil influence. It look a bit rough around the edges, but it doesn't look bad to me if you want some classic survival-horror and adventure game elements.

The official story for it goes as such:

It's a little contrived, but I guess to see what they do with it. Curious to see how this turns out. I expect a bit middling, but I may be surprised.

Not interested in the game as horror is just not my thing, but that Initiative sounds like a solid approach. The price tag for this kind of thing is probably not too high and it gives them the opportunity to scout and probably even scoop up new talent and ips. With a little bit of luck maybe even a completely new franchise.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They're doing "modern" controls instead of tank controls by default? Big oof. Game looks probably more jank than it should as a result. Maybe they thought tank controls would put people off, or maybe they just didn't have the time/budget/ability to do it properly. Either way, it's a shame they couldn't/didn't do it. I think it'll be to the game's ultimate detriment.

At least the environments look nice.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
This was a failed kickstarter game that Sony Spain with its program PS Talents decided to give life to the game.
Nice to see it ended well for the devs.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks pretty awesome - the aesthetic honestly reminds me of the original Alone in the Dark on PC. (Always amuses me to hear people call something an RE clone when they themselves leaned so heavily on AITD as an influence)

tumblr_oxhlgsPowO1r7sijxo1_500.gif

EDIT: like a rented mule

More fixed camera survival horror can only be a good thing IMO (I loved REmake 2 but I'm still mildly bitter lol).

Hopefully they can work on those animations a bit, but I'll definitely keep my eye on it.

That game was damn hard back in the day. Anyone else played Ecstatica back then?

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playatation Talents is such a cool initiative, kudos to Sony Spain for helping small studios publish their games worldwide.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
I am intrigued!

I hope more games try this game design. Something like the current classic FPS revival would be awesome.
Not to mention as good as it was, Remake 1's inferior sales and reception compared to 4 basically killed horror Resident Evil for a decade.
The reason REmake 1 sold worse was cause A it came out on the game cube only and B cause Capcom milked RE so damn hard that people started getting burned out.

It has nothing to do with the actual gameplay. RE4 sold well cause it came out on multiple platforms and was very different from the past games in lot of ways.

Last edited:

MufausaThe3rd

Dec 1, 2017

So this game is actually technically a first-party Sony title, though in a bit of a weird way. Sony Spain has been working at a more recent "Playstation Talents" initative to more directly work with and support creators in parts of the world where game development is still on the rise in accessibility, giving dev kits and working with the teams to realize their games. The lead developer on this is Brok3nsite (a studio in Spain), though working with Sony Spain and being published by them.

It's PS4 exclusive, releases on February 3rd and has more than a bit of Resident Evil influence. It look a bit rough around the edges, but it doesn't look bad to me if you want some classic survival-horror and adventure game elements.

The official story for it goes as such:

It's a little contrived, but I guess to see what they do with it. Curious to see how this turns out. I expect a bit middling, but I may be surprised.

This looks like an Aris (Avoiding The Puddle) stream game.

OSPC

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling, Inflammatory Generalizations, and Prior Infractions; Account in Junior Phase
The developers are two recent college graduates making their first game in Unity. It's lame of Sony to market this garbage.

OSPC

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Know what's really shitty? People are going to spend money on this shovelware and feel ripped off.

College unity projects like this belong on itch.io or gamejolt. Not marketed as a Sony exclusive.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
Know what's really shitty? People are going to spend money on this shovelware and feel ripped off.

College unity projects like this belongs on itch.io or gamejolt. Not marketed as a Sony exclusive.

All Sony has done is upload the trailer to its YouTube channel. You're acting like it was a State of Play announcement.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
They're doing "modern" controls instead of tank controls by default? Big oof. Game looks probably more jank than it should as a result. Maybe they thought tank controls would put people off, or maybe they just didn't have the time/budget/ability to do it properly. Either way, it's a shame they couldn't/didn't do it. I think it'll be to the game's ultimate detriment.

At least the environments look nice.

If by default means it has tank control option, it's okay for me. I wonder why they don't make it like Onimusha 3 where the d-pad had tank controls while the left analog was meant for free controls.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

College unity projects like this belong on itch.io or gamejolt. Not marketed as a Sony exclusive.
All Sony has done is upload the trailer to its YouTube channel. You're acting like it was a State of Play announcement.
To go a little bit further, I don't think the trailer is deceptive. It just shows the game, and I'm sure most people could judge if they'd want to play the game or not from the trailer.

There's also misinformation in your initial description of your presumption of the developer, for one the two involved are new devs from Spain but they aren't fresh out of College either, the whole Playstation Talents program Sony Spain is doing is to support growing the game industry in Spain, and this title won to get the financial support, office space and development hands to help realize it. Alongside this, the actual rules of the program state that teams must be at least three people and separate roles at least, so I take your initial statement as hyperbole based on your personal feelings. These devs aren't cheating or lying or scamming about anything like you seem to be implying, Sony Spain and Sony as a whole opened up specifically a branch and program for projects exactly like this, which was their decision, to help grow and support the game development scene in Spain and help realize small team projects into fruition.

The game will turn out how it turns out, a game existing on a marketplace isn't some blight on the customer or something. There's probably even a small audience for this game. If you're not interested in the game, then just don't buy it. If there was something shady or seedy about this I might understand your position better, but right now you're just coming off as concern gatekeeping.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Sony usually gives their PS Talents games as an extra PS+ game for spanish users, but dunno if this one will be. And it will probably be paid for everyone else

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You lot need to give small devs more of a chance. Think of Frictional Games, Penumbra, while great, looked janky as fuck. Then they made Amnesia and SOMA. Know what I mean?

Anyway, yes I see the jank in this, but I also see something that tickles my fancy, will keep an eye on it.

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
Intrigued. I get this feeling that they've showed too much in the trailer, but I like what I see. Hoping it's a shorter game that is fun to play over and over again like the good RE games.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Cool initiative for Sony to support these smaller studios (although you can definitely tell it isn't super polished). Hopefully it's priced well.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I'm honestly surprised we don't see more alone in the dark/resident evil/silent hill clones like this with fixed camera and tank controls. We have a few, but it's a pretty reliable formula to build a scenario around.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Sony has got to stop making games in 3rd person! Ugh, I'm so sick of all these 3rd person games that play the exact same. This is basically God of War, Last of Us, Uncharted, Horizon all over again.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
This doesn't look finished to me. I'll wait on more gameplay before truly judging. Maybe it's meant to feel like an early RE games.

Edit:
The developers are two recent college graduates making their first game in Unity. It's lame of Sony to market this garbage.
Although I don't think it's lame, this does explain the jerkiness of it. I wouldn't mind supporting this then.

OSPC

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
I should have toned down my criticism, but this genuinely does look worse than many junior college Unity projects. I'm also 100% certain that some fanboys will buy it solely because it's labelled a PS4 exclusive, which is why I believe it's irresponsible for Sony to officially promote it on their channel and twitter.

I feel the same way about Valve allowing games like Hunt Down The Freeman to be sold on Steam. Believe it or not, some people were actually convinced that it was a licenced Half Life title and paid $25 for it. Maybe these fools don't deserve any sympathy, but it still reflects poorly on Valve for enabling it to happen.

Last edited:

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If by default means it has tank control option, it's okay for me. I wonder why they don't make it like Onimusha 3 where the d-pad had tank controls while the left analog was meant for free controls.

I doubt the game has it as an option. I assume it's modern controls only. Ideally it should have both tank and modern controls as an option, but there might be valid reasons (like budget) why it doesn't.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks quite janky but pretty cool initiative from Sony
Looks almost exactly like the old Resident Evil games, but I don't think that's a good thing.

Resident Evil moved away from this format because it's completely antiquated.
Not necessarily, there are advantages for fixed camera especially on horror genre. You can basically provoke player emotions just by great camera placement which the old school RE perfectly did.