• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

So this game is actually technically a first-party Sony title, though in a bit of a weird way. Sony Spain has been working at a more recent "Playstation Talents" initative to more directly work with and support creators in parts of the world where game development is still on the rise in accessibility, giving dev kits and working with the teams to realize their games. The lead developer on this is Brok3nsite (a studio in Spain), though working with Sony Spain and being published by them.

It's PS4 exclusive, releases on February 3rd and has more than a bit of Resident Evil influence. It look a bit rough around the edges, but it doesn't look bad to me if you want some classic survival-horror and adventure game elements.

The official story for it goes as such:

In Dawn of Fear, players assume the role of Alex, a young man with a past marked by tragedy. His mother died when she gave birth to him. His father carries on with his life and marries again. After some time, Alex's stepbrother, Max, is born. One day, returning from Max's training, Alex, his father and Max get into a car accident. Only Alex survived the accident. After a time of mourning, Alex manages to rebuild his life, but his stepmother is committed to a psychiatric hospital.

Three years later, Alex receives a letter saying that his stepmother has died, prompting Alex to return to the family home to pick up his things. When Alex arrives, he does not find his childhood home, but a world of madness and cruelty from which he does not know if he will be able to run away.

It's a little contrived, but I guess to see what they do with it. Curious to see how this turns out. I expect a bit middling, but I may be surprised.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks almost exactly like the old Resident Evil games, but I don't think that's a good thing.

Resident Evil moved away from this format because it's completely antiquated.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I want something like this, but it seems a bit ...off? If it's not too pricey I'll deffo pick it up, though. Gotta support these kinda things.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Resident Evil influenced is putting it lightly. Even picking up items looks identical.

Looks good though. Some classic horror.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like the old alone in the dark games looks very interesting

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Animations seem a bit jank but I'm curious.

What I've noticed and probably why Fixed Camera horror games are still a bit of a rairty is most often the efforts to recreate them, the area that suffers the most is the animations. This looks better than some efforts I've seen, but they do still look a bit rough. Ultimately if the rest of the game is good I don't think it'll make much of a difference, but it does effect the initial impressions. Even though as a horror enthusiast I've kinda' come to expect rough animations at this point in time from these efforts.

What is the price? Looks like something I'd grab.

Despite the game only being a few weeks away from release, I don't think there's been a price attached to it yet. I don't expect it'll be incredibly expensive though, my guess is it'll be in the $10-20 range.

Looks almost exactly like the old Resident Evil games, but I don't think that's a good thing.

Resident Evil moved away from this format because it's completely antiquated.

Trust me when I say there's a niche audience for a solid attempt in this style among survival-horror fans who want more games like this. If this one helps fill that need and is worth playing at all, to be seen, but there is a niche audience who wants this sorta' thing.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Woof, looks rough. You can see the inspiration but it doesn't look release ready yet. Early Access on Steam maybe.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad someone is taking a chance on fixed cameras again, but yeah, looks pretty rough.

I always thought "Man what would fixed camera angles look like in 201x?" and in my mind it never looked...like that, especially given what REmake looked like on gamecube in 2002.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I was interested when I heard fixed camera angles, but it looks very rough. Might give it a shot if the price is right though.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that looks awful. I'm cool with the camera, cool with the RE1 influence; but the animation and gameplay looks really, really bad.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Holy fuck, i'm hyped!

Doesn't even need to be good. Make classic re like survival horror stuff and i'll be there.

Trust me when I say there's a niche audience for a solid attempt in this style among survival-horror fans who want more games like this. If this one helps fill that need and is worth playing at all, to be seen, but there is a niche audience who wants this sorta' thing.

Yeah, i'm one of those weird people.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not to mention as good as it was, Remake 1's inferior sales and reception compared to 4 basically killed horror Resident Evil for a decade.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
Looks like an unpolished RE clone, and RE is kinda eh as is. Hard pass so far.
I will go to my grave saying Resident Evil was never as good as the first game. When it came out it was a genuinely scary haunted house game that did things I had never seen before (dogs through windows, "background" characters attacking you that genuinely looked like part of the background). The rest of the series have been great to terrible action games.

Oct 27, 2017
I will go to my grave saying Resident Evil was never as good as the first game. When it came out it was a genuinely scary haunted house game that did things I had never seen before (dogs through windows, "background" characters attacking you that genuinely looked like part of the background). The rest of the series have been great to terrible action games.

I was never a huge fan of the series as a whole. Not bad, just kinda eh cheesy zombie shootbang, with some good jumpscares. Silent Hill was more my thing.