• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Creeeppyy....

I'm listening to a "Relaxing Nintendo music" video on YouTube and just as I stumble into this thread, a David Wise song plays.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Another idea: Ask Kirkhope about Wise.

Kirkhope supports minorities. He also knows Wise as an actual person. He might be able to provide more context.
It's up to wise to set the record straight. The onus of divining whether he's a racist chud "deep down in his soul" should be on him, no one else

People don't like and follow all that trash on Twitter without being trash themselves, and unless someone's actually passing meaningful judgement on the man (e.g. whether he should live/die/go to jail), then making that (minuscule) leap of logic is fine

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
That must suck about as much as learning one of your fave artists thinks you're subhuman
I'm a vegan bisexual part black part pakistani woman who was very much into metal in her teens so as you can imagine that has actually happened countless times and it didn't suck in the slightest for me. I don't understand this thinking that the people whose work you like have to be likeable as well for you to enjoy their work. Björk has been one of my favorite artists for well over 20 years at this point and I've always found her to be completely insufferable as a person from day one (not in a problematic way, she's just a pretentious elitist asshole). As long as the work itself isn't problematic it really doesn't bother me and this narrative that any work of art is an extension of the artist's ethos by definition is completely untrue... the pyramids of Giza aren't pro-slavery, The Gold Rush isn't a pro-pedophilia film (and Thriller isn't a pro-pedophilia album either) and a Tale of Two Cities isn't pro-racism despite their respective authors being respectively very much for those things. Feel free to do as you please when it comes to your own personal choices, of course, but it's really hard to maintain a conversation regarding anything involving anyone even slightly problematic in this place as some people can't help but attempt to constantly sabotage it.

Just to clarify, if I operated like this, I'd quickly find myself not able to enjoy practically anything, the vegan part alone would immediately render almost everything trash as I personally find animal activism to be nearly as important as many of the more pressing social issues we're currently trying to deal with so going by this logic most of Era would be scum as well. I'm very much what some would pejoratively call a "sjw", but I see no value or need in these campaigns to paint anyone who thinks differently from us as undesireables and irredeemable trash. If their work isn't problematic I say let them keep their backwards ass ways of thinking if that's what pleases them, that should be an inalienable right regardless of how stupid your beliefs are... this widespread need to completely purge these individuals and every single thing they've ever created from the conversation bothers me immensely and is too similar to book burning style "everyone who doesn't fit the mold must be swept under the rug" campaigns for comfort for me personally.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
In general I think that likes on Twitter, which are just a single click, are a terrible indicator to call someone a bad human. It would be one thing if Wise was constantly liking far right stuff, but as I see it, this looks like five or so tweets over several years that he has liked. Maybe they are reflective of his political views, but maybe he just tapped the heart accidentally (I sometimes do while scrolling; I think I always noticed and removed that like then, but I know first hand that it can happen).

That being said, Wise is a brilliant composer and I always look forward to any new soundtrack of his.

Oct 26, 2017
What's going on here? I've had a random person respond to my tweet asking David Wise if he supports BLM and LGBTQ rights in a super negative way... yet going by their profile, is supporting both:

You think they'd be all for this?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm always looking for music with a similar vibe to David's work and it's so hard to find.

Any recommendations of music similar to this? ( Headphones recommended )

If you want to listen to the real world inspiration David Wise used for the DKC music (and Star Fox Adventures), take a listen to Vangelis. You won't be disappointed.

Oct 26, 2017
Someone alerted me that Grant Kirkhope actually still chats with JonTron on twitter, and sadly that seems to be the case, even well after that shit about Jon being racist came out (to the point where Playtonic thankfully cut ties with him immediately).

That's... not good, not good at all...

I'm aware that folks like PBG and TheCompletionist are still happily friends with him, but still, this hurts more. :/ And Grant's vocally pro-BLM so it's not like he agrees with his shit.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to listen to the real world inspiration David Wise used for the DKC music (and Star Fox Adventures), take a listen to Vangelis. You won't be disappointed.

Recently found he pretty much lifted Antarctica for the snow level in DKC2 (although supposedly wasn't meant to be used in the final game). Has he done the same for other Vangelis pieces too? lol. He has good taste at least, unsurprisingly!

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Recently found he pretty much lifted Antarctica for the snow level in DKC2 (although supposedly wasn't meant to be used in the final game). Has he done the same for other Vangelis pieces too? lol. He has good taste at least, unsurprisingly!

That's from my thread :P

Straight up lifted? Other than the Antartica theme, no. Heavily inspired in the style and instrumentation? Yes!

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
David coming back for tropical freeze was a dream come true and it exceeded my expectations

this song alone evokes so much of his legacy but in a new track

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

He has basically sampled that song by Phil Collins, and, by a lesser degree, Night on a Bald Mountain.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
So when did people decide to cancel David Wise because this is the first time I've heard of anything negative regarding him and nobody is posting receipts

You complained about about "cancel culture" and a lack of receipts and then ignored the thread when you were given them.

Not going to give your thoughts now?

Please link me to those findings? Ive never seen him say anything offensive.

You too. You were replied to.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hes a terrible person, such a let down.

Deleted member 21326

User requested account closure.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing Remark Towards Another Member
You complained about about "cancel culture" and a lack of receipts and then ignored the thread when you were given them.

Not going to give your thoughts now?

You too. You were replied to.
Youre on my ignore list. And you will remain there.

Oct 14, 2019
Maybe someone here should reach out to him and ask him about his worldview rather than trying to divine any sort of nuance from a social media history that's all over the place, mm?

This appears to make you uncomfortable. It's extremely clear his views on the matter - you don't need to ask someone explicitly if they are racist. Context is discernible and holds weight.

I assumed you would have known this.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Thats a hot take. I never asked him, i asked Nepenthe. Maybe dont jump to conclusions so fast. Ive been ignoring that poster for awhile.

ed34c40b6cff79f74ddd353b55ae263cb423acf5.gifv

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
8-Bit Big Band did Aquatic Ambience which is just...

Before this thread gets closed, is there a version of this video where they keep the vibe of the first 35 seconds? That first 35 seconds before all of the other instruments kick in gave me the same vibes of a Kingdom Hearts intro and it was really cool.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This appears to make you uncomfortable. It's extremely clear his views on the matter - you don't need to ask someone explicitly if they are racist. Context is discernible and holds weight.

I assumed you would have known this.
Bigotry makes me uncomfortable, yes.

Regarding asking David Wise, I assume people have tried talking to him about this matter, and I see someone here reached out -- definitely interested to see where that goes.

I will still enjoy listening to his music either way, but it will definitely be a bummer if the man behind the music is not as compassionate as his music would suggest.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
You ask for findings, you were given results....and your response is to ignore the person giving you results and making this shitty ass post?

I've got more questions now than I before reading this thread.

I just did a quick search to see if I missed something and it looks like he and I have never had a single exchange.

I have a very strong feeling he put me on ignore because I often recap the CDPR transphobia issues in Cyberpunk threads.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Heh. I did see that and decided to count it as "not a single exchange" because it was so insignificant that there was no way he put me on ignore for it.

Unless he was really offended that I forgot a scene in The Walking Dead. It's possible!

(But as far as I'm concerned, it's pretty obvious what his deal is.)

I'm now half-expecting a plot twist where MORJ is Zeo's long-lost estranged cousin

This is also very possible.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm now half-expecting a plot twist where MORJ is Zeo's long-lost estranged cousin
See, I'm only awake at the moment because inconsiderate people were being loud, so imagine that you're half awake and you decide to go into a random thread and you run into some forum drama except the drama doesn't actually exist.

KaufLive

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
One of my favourite moments in my editing career was creating the trailers for Tamarin, which featured Wise's music! I love his music and for the trailers I had to remix/re-edit his music to fit the trailer. Which is a sin, of course! But it had to be done to create the right flow for the trailers :D That soundtrack is godly, and I've never been more honoured to do that!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
See, I'm only awake at the moment because inconsiderate people were being loud, so imagine that you're half awake and you decide to go into a random thread and you run into some forum drama except the drama doesn't actually exist.
This must be what Buzz Aldrin felt like returning from the moon

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
What if you're all on my ignore list but I don't know it because I've been ignoring you so long.