• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I'm always looking for music with a similar vibe to David's work and it's so hard to find.

Any recommendations of music similar to this? ( Headphones recommended )

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know he isn't at Rare anymore but Rare as a whole produced some of my favorite videogame soundtracks.

Even the bad Rare games have great music.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly the entire Rare music team is great. Even newer Rare-inspired games have great soundtracks (see the Yooka-Laylees and Snake Pass).

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
His music is good but personally he seems like a piece of shit so ultimately, fuck him.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed! Too bad he thinks the moon landing was faked
too bad he is a piece of shit
His music is good but personally he seems like a piece of shit so ultimately, fuck him.
Was one of my favorite composers, shame he is a right wing douche.

Grant Kirkhope mirror universe evil counterpart.
Learning this a whlie back just saddened me. Legit one of my favorite composers.

I swear if Frank Klepacki proves to be an asshole too, I might just start crying.

OP
OP
Cloud-Strife

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Yeah he is not a great person but his music is just something special. I'll check some of the people posted.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Social media was a mistake. I miss when I knew almost nothing about the people who made videogames, honestly. They were just some names in the credits. At least Grant is awesome.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
While I am also angered about David Wise now, and really don't respect him much anymore, I still am impressed with how powerful and stunning the DKC2 soundtrack was, since it made me surprised a SNES game could do such a thing. I only first heard the DKC musics in 2016 so I was pretty late to the party, but Stickerbrush Symphony gave me big vibes to a song from a series I do love, and am more familiar with... So if you're hoping for something similar to that, I have a godly song recommendation for you:

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
I'm always looking for music with a similar vibe to David's work and it's so hard to find.

Any recommendations of music similar to this? ( Headphones recommended )

Yet he doesn't read music sheet, my piano professor played a song with him because David liked one of my professor songs (group named the game boys), still the professor was amazed of how good he was

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
Okay boys and girls and ladies and gentlemen... here we go with my fave work from David Wise (not in any particular order). Also I wanted to skip the usual suspects that have been mentioned already everywhere.

The only guitar shredding from the 16-bit era, that I rank higher than any tune from Mega Man X, X2 and X3. Literally a kick-ass tune with some space-y ambience here and there as well to perfectly set the mood in this lovely first stage.

DKCTF's soundtrack is my favourite video game soundtrack of the last decade, and this song is a perfect video game tune. Why is that? It truly sounds like everything you see on the screen at the same time. It fits the mood like no other and therefore it succeeds in everything it was made to do.

One of the greatest medieval tunes in the 8-bit era, if not the best? Not only it plays whenever you save those damsels in distress, it also guides the player through the game's final level before the ultimate showdown.

Atmospheric 2D walking simulator... a combination I would skip hundred times out of hundred, but in this case I was literally all ears, because the maestro himself did compose this game's OST. Truly a magnificent tune that oozes that David Wise magic you hear from his compositions.

Oct 26, 2017
It's weird. Much of what was found wrong with David Wise stemmed from bad tweets he liked (some I've seen I think on his timeline directly?), but as far as I know has never actually said any of the stuff.

On the other hand he is also pro-mask and social distancing, and at least seems very happy that Biden won, and this next bit confused me; one comment folks spread was that he was pro-Brexit... this tweet tells me otherwise I think?

What I want is for him to clarify the stuff about the tweets he's liked. And is he really a moon landing conspiracist? That's just illogical. That's like... flat Earth-logic. I mean if you want to think the original landing was faked or something for dramatic flare, fine, but you can't deny the space travel we've accomplished since then, surely?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's weird. Much of what was found wrong with David Wise stemmed from bad tweets he liked (some I've seen I think on his timeline directly?), but as far as I know has never actually said any of the stuff.

On the other hand he is also pro-mask and social distancing, and at least seems very happy that Biden won, and this next bit confused me; one comment folks spread was that he was pro-Brexit... this tweet tells me otherwise I think?

What I want is for him to clarify the stuff about the tweets he's liked. And is he really a moon landing conspiracist? That's just illogical. That's like... flat Earth-logic. I mean if you want to think the original landing was faked or something for dramatic flare, fine, but you can't deny the space travel we've accomplished since then, surely?

His Twitter history is incredibly strange. He has liked some blatantly terrible things and then his own tweets come off much differently.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017

It's weird if you think there are only two types of people.

Oct 26, 2017
His Twitter history is incredibly strange. He has liked some blatantly terrible things and then his own tweets come off much differently.
You'd think he's be smart enough to know his liked tweets reflect him. He should tweet clarifying his stances. Grant happily supports BLM for instance, David can fix a lot of the issues since that's one of his accused issues of liking anti-BLM tweets for example.

It's weird if you think there are only two types of people.
Hmm? What do you mean?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe someone here should reach out to him and ask him about his worldview rather than trying to divine any sort of nuance from a social media history that's all over the place, mm?

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
So when did people decide to cancel David Wise because this is the first time I've heard of anything negative regarding him and nobody is posting receipts

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
So when did people decide to cancel David Wise because this is the first time I've heard of anything negative regarding him and nobody is posting receipts

Here's a post I made a couple months ago. Thoughts?

This doesn't seem to be widely known but David Wise is, in fact, a douche.

He doesn't bluntly put his opinions out there himself but his history of likes is telling.

Some of his recent likes:

hyz1Kxf.png

Information on that stabbing:

www.reuters.com

Fact check: Birmingham stabbing suspect was born in the UK

A number of Facebook posts, including two with over 2,000 shares as of Sept. 10, 2020, claim a Libyan asylum seeker was responsible for a stabbing attack in Birmingham in the United Kingdom. This is false.

Wise follows that Tarnjit fellow, whose Twitter feed is full of absolute garbage like this:

PzRzljS.png

Wise has not liked those specific tweets but the fact that he follows him and has liked other tweets of his means that he absolutely sees this stuff and doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

And unfortunately, Wise has liked other tweets that are in line with that garbage:

"This riot wasn't about career criminal and armed robber George Floyd."

That final tweet he liked has since been deleted. But it was a video of someone attacking George Floyd and BLM.

Edit: I believe this is it. Wise liked this video on Twitter.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

That tweet doesn't read how you think it does. It seems to be more pointing the finger at social conflict, which he dumped on BLM for too iirc. Essentially his view seems to be 'shut up and go back to the days of pretending everything was fine'

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
While I find him a better composer than Grant Kirkhope (sorry Grant, but I still love you); I haven't listened to anything of his ever since I learned how he feels about black folks.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Another idea: Ask Kirkhope about Wise.

Kirkhope supports minorities. He also knows Wise as an actual person. He might be able to provide more context.