• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

David Sirland (known as Tiggr in the Battlefield community), the Multiplayer Producer for Battlefield V, is leaving DICE. David has been working on the Battlefield franchise since Battlefield 2 in 2005 and worked with DICE LA in developing the acclaimed Battlefield 4 post-launch support.

Best of luck to David on his future endeavors and a big thanks for his numerous contributions to the Battlefield franchise.

Last edited:

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
Well, fuck. He was one of the bright sparks there. What the hell is going on at DICE?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Really have no idea what this has all to do with it?

Amidst the controversy surround Battlefield V's current state (abandoned game modes, an altered TTK that the community unanimously dislikes despite DICE having gone on record refusing to revert the changes, content promised at launch still "coming soon", broken promises of features and support, etc.), David Sirland (known as Tiggr in the Battlefield community), the Multiplayer Producer, is leaving DICE.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Dice has lost the path. They need to find their way back to Bf4. It was the compromise between BC2 and BF2. It seemed to make almost everyone happy, but it's been downhill ever since.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Moving on to good things I hope.

I haven't enjoyed recent battlefield games. Even though people rave about Star Wars after all it's updates, I'm underwhelmed when I play it. Battlefield 5 just kind of sucks, awful maps, time to kill, modes, real lack of attention to what the community wanted from the game.

OP
OP
JigglesBunny

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Really have no idea what this has all to do with it?
David is quite closely connected with the TTK issue in particular as he was the person that promised to ensure that no sweeping changes were made in the same manner again until they later were. It seemed to be an odd contradiction between the apparent intent of a key member of staff and the direction of the game.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
David is quite closely connected with the TTK issue in particular as he was the person that promised to ensure that no sweeping changes were made in the same manner again... until they were, seemingly in direct contention with David's words.

Added this bit to the OP.
Oke. Still not sure why that has to do with him leaving and the rest of the issues posted.

OP
OP
JigglesBunny

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Oke. Still not sure why that has to do with him leaving and the rest of the issues posted.
I believe it calls the timing of his departure into question when, as the multiplayer producer, sweeping changes that he publicly swore to avoid repeating were implemented yet again. I think it's clear that DICE is in a bit of a precarious spot at the moment and David's departure certainly seemed a bit sudden and troubling given the current state of affairs at the studio. I'm not trying to stack too many tinfoil hats on, just theorizing a possible connection between shifts in design focus and the work of a key player within development.

Last edited:

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Please don't write Reddit level of bullshit conspiracy theories. :) Especially those first few posts.

After 10+ years at a place, some people want a change.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I don't know much about the Battlefield V situation, but damn that seems like a heavily editorialized OP. The only thing I can know for certain after reading that is that David Sirland is leaving DICE, and I already learned that from the title.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Pretty sad all the OP focuses on is one negative (or let's say debatable) aspect when this man is basically responsible for 15 years of amazing multiplayer experiences.

Show some respect for all these years of work. At least for this one small moment. Gamers and their stupid desire for drama, I guess.

All the best to him and thanks for creating some of my most memorable multiplayer experiences in the past 15 years.

OP
OP
JigglesBunny

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Please don't write Reddit level of bullshit conspiracy theories. :) Especially those first few posts.

After 10+ years at a place, some people want a change.

Imagine a world where weapon balancing would cause people to switch jobs. That's the level of reasoning for this "controversy".

Weapon balancing, lol.
Not intending to offend or stir up shit (well, no more than usual anyway), his departure just seemed to strike a fair few folks as sudden given the current situation surrounding the game and the apparent shift away from the original vision of the launch game. I didn't mean for it to sound as if I was implying that he was leaving because "the TTK is different", it just seemed to be a bit of a sign of would could perhaps be a greater shift towards a different design/vision for the game and perhaps not a vision or design that he was going to be working on.

I've tried editing the OP a bit and reshuffling things around to make it seem less sensationalized, focus more on the man of the hour.

Hopefully my post didn't come off as too disrespectful or vitriolic, I mostly just wanted to bring attention to the departure of a veteran at the studio and maybe posit what I theorized could have been a reason behind the departure. If there's no connection between the current game and his departure, fair play! In any event, thanks to David for the many years of quality work!

Last edited:

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Well Battlefield V was a mess from the start. The only good thing was TTK and gunplay, but after 5.2 TTK patch guns feel like they're shooting rubber bullets.

Most of my friends stopped playing it after 5.2 ttk patch.

With bullshit autospotting enemies, "you are spotted" annoyance and auto snap shooting on consoles they wanted to attract new players so they can safetly run around in the middle of battlefield without dying instantly. Someday developers will realize you can't hold hands on new players, there is(was) a big learning curve in this game and that's actually a good thing.

I really really hope next Battlefield will be a great one.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sad all the OP focuses on is one negative (or let's say debatable) aspect when this man is basically responsible for 15 years of amazing multiplayer experiences.

Show some respect for all these years of work. At least for this one small moment. Gamers and their stupid desire for drama, I guess.

All the best to him and thanks for creating some of my most memorable multiplayer experiences in the past 15 years.
Or forget that he and the DICE LA fixed BF4 or made even something special from it.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine a world where weapon balancing would cause people to switch jobs. That's the level of reasoning for this "controversy".

Weapon balancing, lol.

I think the insinuation is that it's the toxic backlash many Dice have received regarding the TTK as a possible reason behind his decision. Of course it may be a tiny part, a big part or no part at all but reading the BFV subreddit must be quite disheartening when you give your life to a franchise like he has. Personally I think DICE has made really bad decisions with BFV. Somewhere underneath all of its problems there is a very good and satisfying game it just often feels like any momentum built up gets eradicated a few weeks later. Games like Battlefield desperately need a PTE (like previous games) as it could really help with messaging and testing of changes.

Good luck to David though I hope community toxicity was not a reason for his decision.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Or forget that he and the DICE LA fixed BF4 or made even something special from it.
Seriously, as someone who played BF4 from its broken launch up until the BF1 launch for three years straight it cannot be stressed enough how much DICE LA has improved the game and the overall netcode for the other games to come. BF4 went from a buggy mess with horrible netcode to one of the very best FPS games of all time.

There surely is controversy around some design decisions around BF5, but focusing only on that and not on what he and the team got right is kinda disingenuous.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I think the insinuation is that it's the toxic backlash many Dice have received regarding the TTK as a possible reason behind his decision. Of course it may be a tiny part, a big part or no part at all but reading the BFV subreddit must be quite disheartening when you give your life to a franchise like he has. Personally I think DICE has made really bad decisions with BFV. Somewhere underneath all of its problems there is a very good and satisfying game it just often feels like any momentum built up gets eradicated a few weeks later. Games like Battlefield desperately need a PTE (like previous games) as it could really help with messaging and testing of changes.

Good luck to David though I hope community toxicity was not a reason for his decision.
Yeah, the CTE was great in BF4 and 1. Dont ask me why they cut it.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Best of luck to him, my brother and I have a lot of good memories of BF3 multiplayer and it's expansions

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You don't think that a game designer would leave the studio that contradicts and overwrites his vision of the game?

You don't think disagreements happen everyday? That it hasn't happened in the past?

It's far more likely dude just wanted to try something else or had other opportunities and decided to explore them.

AAA development isn't easy. Working on a famous franchise like Battlefield isn't easy.

Some times people just want a change and it's very common.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how big his role was, but I think a change can be good at DICE. I think they had two big missteps in Battlefront 2 and Battlefield V, that luckily got solved post-release (specially Battlefront 2, which is fantastic), but they shouldn't have been in the state they were at launch.

Onwards and forwards, I'm sure David Sirland will have a great career in the future!

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
DICE hasn't made a great shooter since 2013 so it just seems like he feels like his talent is served in other places & I don't blame him.

Battlefield 1 took too long to get up to 4 IMO.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully he he found a job at a company where things are more up to him, battlefield V sure as fuck could have benefited from having more decision be made from people like him over whoever is currently making them ( David Rutter ? having someone responsible for fifa Ultimate Team now at the helm of the EA's european studio had little chance to improve things for the franchises we love ) .

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Is possible. Its also possible that someone just leaves after 11 years to starting something new.
In the meantime we can just guess.

qlunintjvod41.jpg

You don't need to guess, the 2018 TTK patch was deployed the same week he went on vacation. He is the producer in the environment where he has to take a back-seat when it comes to decision making.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I haven't lasted very long with any Battlefield title since BF4, so maybe a new shake up could be interesting. All of the Battlefronts/fields since have been disappointing in one way or another.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I was just talking to my buddies the another day about how I'm in the mood for a next-gen, modern-warfare Battlefield game. This departure kinda bums me out now.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sad to see him go...
But let me ask for those in the know..
Who decides the direction of the next game at Dice? Clearly, commercially, clearly as a studio, WW2 was the wrong direction to go

Now I wonder if we will ever get a new BF game with the ethos, synergy of Battlefield 4.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
People change their jobs all the time
Still, the question remains:
What the hell is going on at DICE?
Feels like Jason Schreier will have the answer one day.

Lack of content since launch.
Bad balancing decisions and stubbornness after receiving player feedback.
Missing basic features like vehicle customization.
Boring skins and other useless MTX.
Many cheaters on PC.

Just tell me one reason why people should play this game.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
He will be missed! Wish him well on his ventures

Really wondering what the future of Battlefield is going to be. Despite all the issues that pop up in these games, they are still my favorite multiplayer shooters ever.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Battlefield 4 was so good. My most played game this generation.

Sad to see him go, and I really hope that the next Battlefield slated for 2021 is going to be good. like BF4.

Edit: not related, but I totally miss the Commander Mode App and wish it would come back.

Last edited:

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
People really think this man left his job because of criticisms on his project from the internet or disagreements with co-workers.

Like wow...sometimes this places seems like the most negative place in the world where EVERYTHING is spun into some controversy.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still, the question remains:
What the hell is going on at DICE?
Feels like Jason Schreier will have the answer one day.

Lack of content since launch.
Bad balancing decisions and stubbornness after receiving player feedback.
Missing basic features like vehicle customization.
Boring skins and other useless MTX.
Many cheaters on PC.

Just tell me one reason why people should play this game.
I agree.
And I hope they don't waste their time making a new Battlefront..
Also, arent they scheduled to show a new Battlefield between March 2021 ---> 2022.