• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PizzaKing

May 24, 2019
I don't go into (insert cult show/movie I don't like) and complain about their existence and call them bullshit but that's just me

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Fuck yeah. If true, 85 million dollars is an INSANE amount of money to give to David Lynch and I'm absolutely here for it.

Make a 25-hour Inland Empire sequel. Fuck it.

(Also, Twin Peaks: The Return has one of the greatest endings ever. As much as I love TP, I lowkey hope David never touches it again)

PizzaKing

May 24, 2019
And Netflix aren't exactly giving that money away for charity, so it must make business sense for them. Either to attract viewers, keep them, or attract other creatives

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Lynch is a respected artist. It should not surprise anyone that some production company out there wants to work with him. And considering Netflix released some of his recent short films, they clearly wanted to work with him. Those little woks must have been encouraging enough for them to look at whatever he's developed lately.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Lynch is a respected artist. It should not surprise anyone that some production company out there wants to work with him. And considering Netflix released some of his recent short films, they clearly wanted to work with him. Those little woks must have been encouraging enough for them to look at whatever he's developed lately.

If that reddit post on the last page is to be believed and he's really only getting $85 million for 25 hours, then that's actually quite low budget all things considered, so it might not be as bad an investment as Dark Crystal or Too Old to Die Young were.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
If that reddit post on the last page is to be believed and he's really only getting $85 million for 25 hours, then that's actually quite low budget all things considered, so it might not be as bad an investment as Dark Crystal or Too Old to Die Young were.

Not really. The Return was around $50 million for 18 episodes and shooting in like 5 different cities. Of course $85 million is low if we are thinking about 25 hours of Game of Thrones, but $85 million for a David Lynch project being shot entirely in LA is a very high budget.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. The Return was around $50 million for 18 episodes and shooting in like 5 different cities. Of course $85 million is low if we are thinking about 25 hours of Game of Thrones, but $85 million for a David Lynch project being shot entirely in LA is a very high budget.

Plus, we know that Lynch likes relatively lo-fi vfx in his projects, which is a massive portion of many show budgets these days.

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
Twin Peaks S3 was a fucking marvel and I loved almost all of it but I think I'd be more excited by something new. Inland Empire was 14 years ago (!), I'd love to see something totally fresh

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Totally down for this, I loved The Return.

I am hoping it's something new, but it would be great if he pulls in a bunch of his staple players for it.

If it ends up LA-centric I could totally see him playing with ideas he had for the series version of Mulholland Drive back in the day.

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
I think more of Showtime and CBS after they let him make The Return. This is a prestige piece for them. I can't wait.

Deleted member 20155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how anyone could want more Twin Peaks after the final five minutes of The Return. Such a perfect ending.

Excited for this, hoping for Lynch and Jack the monkey running some sort of detective agency.

bigmit37

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I loved MindHunters season 1.
Season 2 was good, but not as memorable as the first one.

I guess I will check out Twin Peaks as well.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I think more of Showtime and CBS after they let him make The Return. This is a prestige piece for them. I can't wait.

Seriously. Im rewatching S3 right now and I just keep imagining these Showtime Execs watching These episodes for the first time. Amazing that they just gabe Lynch 50 million and let him to whatever the fuck he wants.

S3 just doesnt happen. Its such an incredible achievement.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The Return remains the best piece of media I've seen in years.
Looking forward to whatever that mad lad puts out.

Oct 27, 2017
I am HYPED but I'm actually hoping it's not S4 of Twin Peaks. I'm a fan, but thought the Return ended TP perfectly. Besides, plenty of actors from the original have unfortunately passed away. I think it's time to move on from TP. Lynch did the absolute Lynchiest thing when he brought the show back 25 years after the end of S2.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
About damn time. I've been waiting for this ever since he was at Netflix HQ and they put his short up. Figured it was all to gauge interest and start talks of something new. 25 episodes seems crazy for Lynch though? But I'll trust he knows what he wants to do.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
About damn time. I've been waiting for this ever since he was at Netflix HQ and they put his short up. Figured it was all to gauge interest and start talks of something new. 25 episodes seems crazy for Lynch though? But I'll trust he knows what he wants to do.

The person on Reddit who originally leaked it said that while the production forms say 25 episodes, the final thing might be smaller. I think it makes sense, something of around 16-18 hours is probably better.

Yeah I'm thinking more than 13 hours but less than 25. Some of these forms that productions have to fill out are pretty rigid in their standardization. So they have to fill out of it's a half hour show or a one hour show. If it's actually these "mini movies" that are more than an hour, there isn't really a designation for that. So maybe they doubled the 13 episode count and put it around 25 to cover themselves because they know that 13 one hour episodes is not enough.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
The person on Reddit who originally leaked it said that while the production forms say 25 episodes, the final thing might be smaller. I think it makes sense, something of around 16-18 hours is probably better.

Ok, that makes sense. That seems much more in line with what he seemed to do with The Return.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is great news - love to see artists getting a budget and canvas to create. Thanks for sharing, will be watching for details on this :)

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'd be thrilled with Twin Peaks Season 4: A Limited Event Series 2, but I'll take any show that Lynch puts out.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Frost said on Twitter he wasn't involved in this project, which made me think this wasn't Twin Peaks related...but maybe...

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
People really want more Twin Peaks? I didn't like The Return but that finale was an all time great way to end a series, along with the season 2 ending.

You have to know what you're getting with Lynch, it isn't answers and closures but interesting questions with a narrative framework to explore what the answers could be.

As for this I dunno, I need to hear more. I found TP3 just a bit too broad and loose to really enjoy. It's hard to weave together meaning from 18 hours of unfiltered stream of consciousness. A little less enough
The Return was AMAZING. I loved it. One of my favourite seasons of TV. It was so good that I wish Lynch went back and edited Season 2 to make it watchable/as good as S1 & S3. I felt like Episode to Episode, S3 was some of the highest quality TV show I can remember since The Wire.

I'd be down for more Twin Peaks.

OP
OP
wafflebrain

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
moviehole.net

David Lynch’s new series Wisteria is real; casting shortly

A couple of days back word got out - thanks to a listing on Production Weekly- that superlative storyteller David Lynch was prepping a new series for Netflix (something we've been hearing for a while) titled "Wisteria". I wanted to hold off on posting about it for a couple of days while I ran it...

A couple of days back word got out – thanks to a listing on Production Weekly- that superlative storyteller David Lynch was prepping a new series for Netflix (something we've been hearing for a while) titled "Wisteria".

I wanted to hold off on posting about it for a couple of days while I ran it by someone who, I had a feeling, would know whether the series is indeed a lock to go.

So yup, can confirm that the series is indeed a real thing, and as reported, Lynch and producing partner Sabrina Sutherland set to lens the mystery project next May. Casting will take place shortly but it's believed Lynch has met with a couple of names (one whose name rhymes with Learn) for headline roles.

Looks like this thing is a lock. Hype!

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
let's fucking do this

5d183db7d4c6a4000830431b_renata-gif.gif

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
This is the first I've heard about new Lynch work, so exciting. I'd love more Twin Peaks but something new would be just as good.

OP
OP
wafflebrain

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Not a lot of concrete info here but the rabbit hole this poster goes down is pretty interesting. The highlights being that back in June Lynch copyrighted 13 episodes of a drama titled "Unrecorded Night", which was done on the same date the reddit thread posted earlier in the thread was made on which mentioned Wisteria. Also cool bit of trivia, in a 1999 interview with Mary Sweeney (ex-wife and former editor for Lynch) following the release of Mulholland Drive, she said Lynch was generally nostalgic for "Los Angeles... the bygone smells, and the wisteria, and the dreaminess." So there's speculation the new series may be a return to LA as a setting.

I really can't get enough of this internet sleuthing stuff when it comes to anything Lynch related.

PizzaKing

May 24, 2019
Hoping its "Antelope Don't Run No More" but I'll be happy with anything

"In 2010, Lynch wrote his first film since Inland Empire, entitled Antelope Don't Run No More. The film is said to be set in Los Angeles and features "space aliens, talking animals, and a beleaguered musician named Pinky". Lynch was unable to secure financing for the project.[SUP][16]"[/SUP]

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I've loved every feature length David Lynch movie, a number of his shorts I enjoy, Twin Peaks is my favorite television show of all time, and The Return cemented that and was my favorite "television experience" of all time (watching it week by week with others & discussing it online was quite a ride), so I'm really on-board with whatever the Hell this ends up being. I honestly thought The Return was most likely going to be his last "Feature Length Work" (he'd still be making art pieces ,little shorts, music still, of course). But Netflix throwing him the biggest budget he's ever had to do whatever he wants is cool with me.

If this is some Twin Peaks thing, I'm of course on-board (even though from where TP ended off, even if this was connected to TP it literally could be anything). I'm pretty satisfied with how Twin Peaks currently exists though, so I actually hope this is just David Lynch making whatever else he wants to make. I know I said this when Return was airing, but Lynch is not getting any younger and there's a high likelihood this is the last full feature project he'll get to work on, I hope he gets full creative control for whatever he wants to make (even if it ended up being something i don't personally enjoy), and I'm happy he was given this opportunity (I agree with others Netflix is doing this probably more for pedigree than market success, but I'm just happy someone has allowed him to do something like this).

Hoping its "Antelope Don't Run No More" but I'll be happy with anything

"In 2010, Lynch wrote his first film since Inland Empire, entitled Antelope Don't Run No More. The film is said to be set in Los Angeles and features "space aliens, talking animals, and a beleaguered musician named Pinky". Lynch was unable to secure financing for the project.[SUP][16]"[/SUP]
If this is something more of an anthology of ideas than an episodic series, I hope he finally gets to make Antelope Don't Run No More AND Ronnie Rocket.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After Twin Peaks: The Return I think someone should pay Lynch to never make anything again.
lol, don't watch it if you're not into Lynch. No need to be a dick about it.

Personally, I think Season 3 is the second greatest season of television ever created (after True Detective Season 1).

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I've dug into everything about the show, and a lot of it does point that it's Twin Peaks related. Between the production studio stuff, the codenames flower thematic, one of the filming locations we know of, etc.

However, that actually means very little ultimately as (Twin Peaks spoilers)
how Twin Peaks ended basically means this could be anything. I'm personally theorizing that it TECHNICALLY takes place after where Twin Peaks Season 3 ended, but where it ended wasn't in the Twin Peaks world anymore anyways, so this isn't strictly Twin Peaks even if it is, if that makes sense?

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I've dug into everything about the show, and a lot of it does point that it's Twin Peaks related. Between the production studio stuff, the codenames flower thematic, one of the filming locations we know of, etc.

However, that actually means very little ultimately as (Twin Peaks spoilers)
how Twin Peaks ended basically means this could be anything. I'm personally theorizing that it TECHNICALLY takes place after where Twin Peaks Season 3 ended, but where it ended wasn't in the Twin Peaks world anymore anyways, so this isn't strictly Twin Peaks even if it is, if that makes sense?
Yeah it could be anything at all really. Very excited for this regardless of what it is, but all signs seem to be pointing toward TP.